• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possibilities for Free DLC?

R O F L

Smash Ace
Any of you think there is a chance for free DLC that is like new music, Mii costumes, spirits, alternate costumes, or possibly something like the Miiverse stage in Smash 4?

I would, obviously, like to see something like this so games that release after Ultimate could have some kind of representation. For example: let's say a new Zelda game comes out in the next two years, if they do make free DLC like this, then that Zelda game would get spirits and some ported music.

Any thoughts on what they could potentially do with free DLC, or if there is a chance for any at all?

Edit: Now that version 1.1.0 has come out, which has added spirits as free dlc, what are your predictions on free DLC in Ultimate's future? Keep in mind the update was released the same day the game came out.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'm fairly certain that DLC Spirits have been said to be a thing by some insider. I can't be bothered to hunt down the Tweet in question because it's buried deep in the General Discussion thread, and I have a lot of alerts to catch up on, but there’s something.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I seriously doubt they will take advantage of all the alt costumes they could give characters.

I mean, they took away some colors just to make room for alts, i think everyone's stuck at 8, Sakurai is too narrow minded on certain things and takes him too long to realize, maybe 2 games from now.

Echoes and spirits are a possibility tho.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Absolutely possible. Smash 4 had the Miiverse stage, Tourney mode, Duck Hunt stage on 3DS, and the KK Slider Mii Costume. I would think for this game Spirits will be given out for free, don't know about Echo Fighters since those are still new characters.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I could definitely see another Echo or a stage given out as free at some point if there is larger gap between the main DLC character releases.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I always felt that if Sakurai was going to do DLC he was going to do it/price it like Wii U/3DS (I was right), I also felt that in between the major newcomers which take quite awhile to come out it would be awesome to pad out the releases with echoes.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Pirahna Plant might be the only free dlc. Atleast prepare for that possibility.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'd be astonished if they didn't sell us DLC costumes for characters at some point.

There's too much possibility for them to ignore.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Honestly I'd want more game modes if free DLC is a thing. I mean games like Splatoon 2 and Odyssey recieved an extra mode or 2 through free patches further down the line why not Smash as well?

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Oh and while I know this is EXTREMELY unlikely but throw in the last remaining stages from past games that haven't returned yet as free DLC to come along with patch updates. Pac-Maze, Wooly World, Rainbow Road, Jungle Hijinx, and Poke Floats need to return.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
If Stage Builder isn't in the base game, it had better come back as DLC.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Given Shuntaro Furukawa's recent statements on how Nintendo wants to focus more on DLC and updates to sustain their flagship titles, I can definitely see Ultimate getting more DLC than Piranha Plant and the fighter pass; whether it'll be free or not though, is anyone's guess.

I would love for Ultimate to get its own Stadium mode (With things like break the targets, Home run contest, etc.) that would be included in a free update, and new echo fighters being free DLC as well.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I always felt that if Sakurai was going to do DLC he was going to do it/price it like Wii U/3DS (I was right), I also felt that in between the major newcomers which take quite awhile to come out it would be awesome to pad out the releases with echoes.
Nintendo prob does the pricing, sakurai just does the development.

also why call it a fighter pass and not a dlc pass if it was the only dlc left

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
As long as we get Poké Floats, I'm happy with anything else.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I can see us getting spirits, especially if we get new franchises through dlc which seems likely, would not really get my hopes up for modes though, i honestly just do not see it. Kind of 50/50 on mii/other fighters getting dlc costumes but who knows.

I'd Negæte That

Smash Cadet
I wish that Smash would be routinely updated with content like Halo 5 was almost monthly. Not necessarily newcomers, but just more... things. Like Items, music, etc. Maybe this is the free DLC we need.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I seriously don't see free DLC coming to Smash.
At most, I could see bonuses being included with some of the fighter packs and even that I doubt, as they'd want all the packs to be equal value.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I can live without a side scrolling campaign if Spirits be good enough with a good replay value, and same to Classic mode. But more modes and stages are always welcome.

I still want Pokefloats and Wolly World stage. They are two not irrelevant losses to me on the stage list.

And seriously.. they could even make events like Overwatch. Adding some themes to the game at certain moments of the year. It would keep the game always fresh.

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if update 1.1.0 means anything considering it released to close to Ultimate's release, but it was a free update that added spirits. This probably means we will get more free spirits through later updates.

I'm hoping we'll music from later updates, if we do it'll probably be from games that release after Ultimate.

FREE echos are probably very unlikely, but now that we know there is more DLC than the fighter pass (Mii packs. That was real, right?), there could possibly be paid echos?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Echoes, alt costumes, and spirits could probably be added as free DLC or updates.
I can guarantee that won’t happen. Spirits maybe... but the other 2 definitely would not be free. Regardless how easy they’d be to make, it still takes comsiderate man power to make, so it would be paid dlc.

I do not understand where this logic comes from but people need to get it out of there heads.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Given that they already added Partner Pikachu and Partner Eevee as spirits post-launch, and the Spectacled Spirits event going on right now, Spirits will receive a lot of attention over the course of the game's lifespan in basically every mode except Adventure (I highly doubt this'll see changes beyond bug fixes or balance changes) in terms of encounter-rate-up events and new spirits added.

I'd go so far as to say the release of each fighter pack will bring with it a free spirit update for everyone, regardless of purchase. For example, the upcoming release of Joker will probably bring Persona/Atlus spirits with him. If they planned far enough ahead to include a new stage and multiple music tracks, then surely they negotiated to bring in other characters as spirits.

Celleron

Smash Rookie
I can guarantee that won’t happen. Spirits maybe... but the other 2 definitely would not be free. Regardless how easy they’d be to make, it still takes comsiderate man power to make, so it would be paid dlc.

I do not understand where this logic comes from but people need to get it out of there heads.

Nintendo gives nice DLC all the time, Kirby got three waves of it with new bosses, characters, and levels.I know it might be set in some ways butnot every company charges for every sprinkle.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's no more work than, say, adding BotW Link and his motorcycle to Mario Kart 8. And that update was free.

Or all those free characters that are coming out for Mario Tennis Aces. Or, like Celleron said, all the Kirby Super Star characters.

In fact, those Kirby characters are probably MORE work to make than an Echo fighter is.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think we will but not soon. Game companies usually utilize free DLC to get people back to playing the game or to encourage more purchases of the game. I don't see a character being free but definitely some other content. I believe that we have already received free spirits per the patches.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

Because it was datamined that there could be up to 30 DLC newcomers, but that could also include alternate costumes or echoes, making 30 full fledged fighters would take forever.

Top Bottom