• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

positioning/spacing against falco

Little ShOcKeR

Smash Cadet
so I'm struggling against playing against falco in pichu vs falco. more specifically falco gets a lot of lasers out and im not quite sure how to deal with them. Should i just wait for him to approach me and i just jump off a platform and try to hit him? or what? plz help the few of you that play pichu.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
you can use the platforms to avoid the lasers and try to snipe him with shai drop / runoff aerials. that only works if falcos don't want to be patient, though. you can also try powershielding the lasers, which is hard, but it's the best answer to them. remove the spring from your controller, boot up 20xx, do whatever, and practice that. i'm not consistent with it now but i wish I was. you can also just take the lasers and do whatever before falco does what he really wants to do to you. the lasers don't stun you for that long, they're just annoying, especially if they catch pressing lots of buttons. 20xx is useful for this too; get shot, get shot a lot.

about powershielding: remember that you still get shield damage when ou do it. i haven't tested this, but i would imagine that it would become harder for pichu to powershield after 3 or so lasers. it's still possible, and i've done it, but i think it's something to keep in mind.

ideally you don't want to let falco feel comfortable enough to approach you. if it's a smart falco that has reasonably good tech skill, falco can rip pichu apart from just one solid hit. if you know what falco vs fox is like, pichu wants to play a lot like fox with the sort of passive aggressiveness of not approaching much but finding obscure openings and punishing the hell out of falco for them.

Last edited:

Little ShOcKeR

Smash Cadet
you can use the platforms to avoid the lasers and try to snipe him with shai drop / runoff aerials. that only works if falcos don't want to be patient, though. you can also try powershielding the lasers, which is hard, but it's the best answer to them. remove the spring from your controller, boot up 20xx, do whatever, and practice that. i'm not consistent with it now but i wish I was. you can also just take the lasers and do whatever before falco does what he really wants to do to you. the lasers don't stun you for that long, they're just annoying, especially if they catch pressing lots of buttons. 20xx is useful for this too; get shot, get shot a lot.

about powershielding: remember that you still get shield damage when ou do it. i haven't tested this, but i would imagine that it would become harder for pichu to powershield after 3 or so lasers. it's still possible, and i've done it, but i think it's something to keep in mind.

ideally you don't want to let falco feel comfortable enough to approach you. if it's a smart falco that has reasonably good tech skill, falco can rip pichu apart from just one solid hit. if you know what falco vs fox is like, pichu wants to play a lot like fox with the sort of passive aggressiveness of not approaching much but finding obscure openings and punishing the hell out of falco for them.
alright thanks. and yeah that makes sense. i'll see if i can make that work. (my practice partner is falco so its harder to try things against him) and is that how most of pichu's match ups are? passive aggressive?

cadentoob

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4933-6951
Lol I forgot about that "in-game sprite" they use for pichu that is just just a ripped picture from the anime

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
To put it bluntly, Pichu is not a great character and doesn't have the ability to handle a lot of situations, particularly in regards to the high tiers, so he has to just avoid those situations all together.

Top Bottom