• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I've came up with an interesting theory. The only reason why Porky is a missing spirit is because the smash team intentionally did it in order to throw speculators off by tricking them into thinking Porky is shoe-in for the final slot. Unfortunately, this tactic deconfirms Porky.

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn’t give the team of interns that decided the spirits that much credit haha.
I think at worst it was just an oversight where Porky was strangely missed

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I think the Absolutely Safe Capsule theory is the most likely. And certain other characters who would have made perfect sense as spirits, like Giygas, were also passed over. Keep in mind for example, that for some reason, almost none of the human characters from Pokemon have ever appeared as trophies or spirits, despite many of them being very popular, more popular than many of the fighters in this game. So I don't think these strange omissions necessarily mean anything.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I realized that there is no way in hell Porky's "absence" points to his inclusion anymore. It's impossible that he was planned 3 years in advance with the absence. I think it's just best to give up. It's been a good ride.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I think the Absolutely Safe Capsule theory is the most likely. And certain other characters who would have made perfect sense as spirits, like Giygas, were also passed over. Keep in mind for example, that for some reason, almost none of the human characters from Pokemon have ever appeared as trophies or spirits, despite many of them being very popular, more popular than many of the fighters in this game. So I don't think these strange omissions necessarily mean anything.
I think the case with Pokémon is that since there’s so many games, the cast is really huge and it would be difficult to pinpoint which human characters are “important” enough to appear as trophies/spirits while Mother only has three games so it would be way easier to grab some of the more plot centric characters.
Plus as we saw with Masters, most Pokémon fans don’t really play the games for the human characters.

If Porky isn’t the final character then I’ll throw in the towel but since this will be the last smash game for a very long time I’m going to have a little bit more fun and wait until the very end

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
In the case of Giygas, it sure is bizarre, but he also never appeared at all as a trophy or a sticker, contrary to Porky and his statue (who were both considered bosses in Brawl according to Sakurai).
Same with the humans from Pokemon. Except Misty and Oak in Melee (who use their anime appearance), they never were represented in any form.
Another strange absence, to an extent, could be Adeleine; but again, contrary to Porky, she never appeared or had any major role in Smash.
Sure, Porky could be in the ASC. But that wouldn't explain why they also skipped the Porky statue, nor why they decided to make one specific joke with Porky but couldn't find the correct sprite three times in a row now (first time when they added the spirit, second time when they did a fix for many spirits including Masked Man, and finally the third time when they went ahead and actually bothered completely changing some Earthbound spirits).
If they never touched the spirits, I could understand. But they touched the ASC and Earthbound spirits twice already, without "fixing" it. As far as I'm concerned, Porky is still completely absent.

I realized that there is no way in hell Porky's "absence" points to his inclusion anymore. It's impossible that he was planned 3 years in advance with the absence. I think it's just best to give up. It's been a good ride.
We know for certain that they considered and possibly negotiated for Steve five years prior to his inclusion. Possibly the same case with the Square Enix characters to allow Cloud in. Plus even if it's not Porky, the last character would have been planned two years in advance minimum anyway (mid-late 2019 was when the plan for FP2 was finalized officially). Why three is impossible?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
20 days left before Earthbound's anniversary!
Will Nintendo acknowledge it and potentially release it on the SNES online service, or once again simply get over it? Make your bets!

Earthbound was released on Wii U during the series' 24th anniversary.
Mother 1 also got released the month of its (and the series as a matter of fact) 26th anniversary.
This will be Earthbound's 27th anniversary. Let's cross our fingers!

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Will Nintendo acknowledge it and potentially release it on the SNES online service, or once again simply get over it? Make your bets!

Mother 1 also got released the month of its (and the series as a matter of fact) 26th anniversary.
Doubt it.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman

I hope so, they’re running out of obscure games to release before it!

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
1628553983323.png

1628554044413.png

Hmm it seems Sakurai made a new pic for the anniversary of Metroid. For Mother, he only retweeted last year's post. I wonder why.

MaplePie

Smash Cadet

Wait isn't Earthbound's anniversary already over?

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
Damn after looking at Kazuya's backstory and character, I really wonder who is the last one.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
1629067040176.png

This is some good advice by a respected member of the Smashboards community. I think we should listen to it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
View attachment 326533
Look at this and tell me you still don't buy it. The DLC Speculation thread is literally making fun of us.
While my old message applies normally, there's quite no good reason to try and act like a 3 year old post has any relevance today.

This user had a hard belief that any and all Spirits disconfirmed forever(which clearly was proven wrong). It's not worth taking seriously, even now. And even then, we don't know her view right now. Things change during the years. The post was poor and... clearly trolling, but that was way back when. Just let these things go.

That said, yeah, if they're still continuing stuff like this, just ignore it and move on.

Last edited:

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
Then report it. Trying to spread the problem here doesn’t fix it. It makes it worse.

You can also defend yourself on that thread too. If the moderation doesn’t see any action to take, it just means it’s better to ignore it. Sometimes the ignore button is a better option than engaging.
Okay I'll argue with you about why you still think the Absolutely Safe Capsule represents Porky even though they have edited the Earthbound sprites such as the Masked Man and fixed them. Sometimes the majority isn't right.
https://twitter.com/RandomTBush/status/1098789585520394240 <--- Shows you the changes
The List of Earthbound spirits that were fixed
1.Masked Man
2.Dungeon Man
3.EVE
4.Buzz Buzz
5.Flying Man
6.Ness' Dad
7.Master Belch
8.Ultimate Chimera
9.Boney
10.Kumatora
11.Absolutely Safe Capsule(still retaining its empty variant)
1629156197734.png

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
View attachment 326533
Look at this and tell me you still don't buy it. The DLC Speculation thread is literally making fun of us.
Buddy. Why are you looking at stuff from nearly 3 years ago and using it as if it’s fact/proof of deconfirmation? Nobody on this site knows ANYTHING about who the next fighter will be. I can hate and complain all I want about how Character XYZ would be a terrible choice for the last slot, but if Character XYZ is the last one, guess what?

Nobody is going to care whether or not I thought the character was good enough. Because I can hate all I want, but that character is now in the game.

Likewise, if Character XYZ isn’t the last slot, the reason won’t be because I didn’t want the character in the game, it will be because Sakurai didn’t consider the character/didn’t think he could make the character work/decided not to implement that character.

My feelings on the character have no effect on whether or not the character will be in. Sit back, enjoy what you can of the end of the ride, and we’ll see what happens. The only reasons a character won’t be in is because Sakurai decides against it, not what someone on a forum says…

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay I'll argue with you about why you still think the Absolutely Safe Capsule represents Porky even though they have edited the Earthbound sprites such as the Masked Man and fixed them. Sometimes the majority isn't right.
https://twitter.com/RandomTBush/status/1098789585520394240 <--- Shows you the changes
The List of Earthbound spirits that were fixed
1.Masked Man
2.Dungeon Man
3.EVE
4.Buzz Buzz
5.Flying Man
6.Ness' Dad
7.Master Belch
8.Ultimate Chimera
9.Boney
10.Kumatora
11.Absolutely Safe Capsule(still retaining its empty variant)
View attachment 326592
Apologies, but I wasn't trying to make the argument in here at the time. I understand both sides of the issue too. It absolutely could be the empty version.

I'm not going to get into it again that said. However, I will say that whether the Spirit is actually meant to be Porky but used the wrong sprite or not won't affect his chances. porky was always a very possible character anyway. His chances are in the same position either way. The Spirit wouldn't hurt him getting in, as they clearly aren't going to affect any character when it comes to base game spirits. We know that's the case already. That said, I'd only worry if a Spirit Event came up based upon the Mother series as a whole. Otherwise, I think he's got a reasonable chance.

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Then report it. Trying to spread the problem here doesn’t fix it. It makes it worse.

You can also defend yourself on that thread too. If the moderation doesn’t see any action to take, it just means it’s better to ignore it. Sometimes the ignore button is a better option than engaging.
Yup, I still don’t buy it lol
Sadly the majority believes her and join in on the joke.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The post was made three years ago, so I have no idea where you're getting this from. Someone's opinions from three years ago, on Smash Bros. characters of all things, aren't exactly relevant today, and one person's stance doesn't reflect the opinions of everyone in the thread.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I'm not going to repost my thoughts each time the ASC subject is brought up, but I'm on the side that the ASC is not meant to represent Porky (nor his statue).
Even in the scenario where Porky doesn't become playable I will keep this opinion.

Even if that were the case, rarely is the majority correct. Another reason to keep believing in our Pig King!

Doctor Doom suddenly appearing on my screen when I refreshed the page almost spooked me lol

Last edited:

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
Just finished Earthbound! Mother 3 still might be my favorite of the trilogy, but the humor was top notch like the creature from the vegetable soup. It may have some flaws like the inventory management system, the story was still very enjoyable for me to keep playing until the end. It'd be awesome if there was an Earthbound remake which used the clay style from the EB spirits.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
View attachment 328086
Happy anniversary to Earthbound! We got a new pic by Sakurai. It mentions Giygas in the title of the game.
Anyone has the translation of the tweet?
And yeah, if I recall the original title is "Mother 2: War against Giygas" or something like that. Funny that none of the main antagonists appear at all as spirits in Smash.

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
Anyone has the translation of the tweet?
And yeah, if I recall the original title is "Mother 2: War against Giygas" or something like that. Funny that none of the main antagonists appear at all as spirits in Smash.
Today in 1994, "MOTHER2 Giygas's Counterattack" (EarthBound) is released !! Since "MOTHER" was not sold overseas at that time, there is no numbering in the title. Then, "1" is called "EarthBound Beginnings". Ness is the main character of "MOTHER2". Onett and Fourside are also related to "MOTHER2".

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Honestly, if Porky is not in the game, what I want is for Nintendo to tell me why the **** neither Earthbound nor Earthbound Beginnings are in the list of Nintendo Online games on the Switch.
Even if Porky is in the game, I would still want Nintendo to explain why we didn't get any Earthbound game available on the Nintendo Online Service.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Even if Porky is in the game, I would still want Nintendo to explain why we didn't get any Earthbound game available on the Nintendo Online Service.
And of course Cutie Gwen will keep poking fun at us eb fans for not having our games on the switch

Boopadoo

Smash Rookie
And of course Cutie Gwen will keep poking fun at us eb fans for not having our games on the switch
Being upset at someone that obviously does not care about your character/series is understandable.

But, it doesn't do anybody any good to remain bitter about it. It sucks, but that's also the way of things with the Smash community and internet in general.

Honestly, if Porky is not in the game, what I want is for Nintendo to tell me why the **** neither Earthbound nor Earthbound Beginnings are in the list of Nintendo Online games on the Switch.
Easy answer is that Nintendo is well aware of the status the Mother games carry and will hold off on their inclusion in the NSO until it proves beneficial to dip into that bank for easy Direct excitement.

The optimistic answer is that they are actually doing something with the series. This, as we know, is literally the only real possibility :).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Probably the same reason they rarely showed up on past consoles.

Earthbound has some strange copyright mumbo jumbo going on.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
FIngers crossed for us to get a direct in the next two weeks, this potential direct announcing at least Mother 1 & 2 for the NSO, and of course for Porky in Smash.

Top Bottom