• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Do any other fighters have crowd cheers like that?
I think Captain Falcon's is Falcon Punch

Yeah I'm looking on the wiki. A few of them have phrases associated with the character
A few notable examples of ones that are prolonged/don’t have the characters’ name...

Ice Climbers: “I scream! You scream! Ice Climbers!”
Chrom: “Chrom, Chrom he’s our man! If he can’t do it, no one can!”
Inkling: “Staaaay fresh!”
K. Rool: “Kremling Krew!”
Pokémon Trainer: “I choose you!”
And for Wolf, the crowd just howls like a wolf.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
A few notable examples of ones that are prolonged/don’t have the characters’ name...

Ice Climbers: “I scream! You scream! Ice Climbers!”
Chrom: “Chrom, Chrom he’s our man! If he can’t do it, no one can!”
Inkling: “Staaaay fresh!”
K. Rool: “Kremling Krew!”
Pokémon Trainer: “I choose you!”
And for Wolf, the crowd just howls like a wolf.
Cheers for Porky is the pigmask army going:

"Grooooooooiiiink!"

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
If Porky does get in, then he'll probably be like the most obvious character in hindsight. Missing fighter spirit and related spirits like how FF7 was the only series in Smash that has no spirits. Also, the MOTHER series being strangely absent on the Switch. Bruh when he gets in, people will switch sides and suddenly become fans of MOTHER like they've always been. It's similar to Joker.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
If Porky does get in, then he'll probably be like the most obvious character in hindsight. Missing fighter spirit and related spirits like how FF7 was the only series in Smash that has no spirits. Also, the MOTHER series being strangely absent on the Switch. Bruh when he gets in, people will switch sides and suddenly become fans of MOTHER like they've always been. It's similar to Joker.
it's a weirdly conspicuous absence. the ramblin' evil mushroom somehow merits a spirit, yet a major character and prominent antagonist like Porky gets nothing but an indirect cameo? and that's assuming the ASC is meant to represent him at all

undertale is in the same boat, it's the only indie in the game that has no spirits. shovel knight, shantae, and cuphead all do, so why not this?

i'm hoping it's because they have plans, cause the alternatives i can think of are all depressing

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
That is, IF he does get in. I saw that post on 4chan yesterday, too. It's true that you could argue all the characters rom the second pass had a big hint towards their inclusion, however again that's in hindsight.

We'll eventually see.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Damn all the the DLC would've been released already if it wasn't for COVID. Now they drag this for as long as they want

1621921935270.png

1621921988804.png

uhh Mom.. I'm scared

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
it's a weirdly conspicuous absence. the ramblin' evil mushroom somehow merits a spirit, yet a major character and prominent antagonist like Porky gets nothing but an indirect cameo? and that's assuming the ASC is meant to represent him at all

undertale is in the same boat, it's the only indie in the game that has no spirits. shovel knight, shantae, and cuphead all do, so why not this?

i'm hoping it's because they have plans, cause the alternatives i can think of are all depressing
To be fair, the only reason the Ramblin’ Evil Mushroom has a Spirit is because it’s an item now. Otherwise it wouldn’t be there. But it is very odd that REM has one and the only possible hint of a Porky Spirit is the ASC. I definitely feel like if they were making a joke out of it, it could’ve been explained better. Maybe have an actual Porky Spirit that either enhances into the ASC, or you need the Porky Spirit’s core in order to summon the ASC.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
To be fair, the only reason the Ramblin’ Evil Mushroom has a Spirit is because it’s an item now. Otherwise it wouldn’t be there. But it is very odd that REM has one and the only possible hint of a Porky Spirit is the ASC. I definitely feel like if they were making a joke out of it, it could’ve been explained better. Maybe have an actual Porky Spirit that either enhances into the ASC, or you need the Porky Spirit’s core in order to summon the ASC.
i uh, forgot about the item pffff. that makes more sense

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
The issue I have with the ASC is that it's a fate that mostly only those who know how Mother 3 ends will get. A game released only in Japan.
What most people know of Porky is him being an evil kid in Earthbound who ends up in a spider mech or his boss appearance from Brawl in a larger spider mech. Granted, I believe many people do know how the story goes thanks to the internet and how much Mother gained in popularity these recent years

It might be the intent, but that's such an obscure "joke" for a game that wasn't released worldwide that I still find it hard to believe.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
The issue I have with the ASC is that it's a fate that mostly only those who know how Mother 3 ends will get. A game released only in Japan.
What most people know of Porky is him being an evil kid in Earthbound who ends up in a spider mech or his boss appearance from Brawl in a larger spider mech. Granted, I believe many people do know how the story goes thanks to the internet and how much Mother gained in popularity these recent years

It might be the intent, but that's such an obscure "joke" for a game that wasn't released worldwide that I still find it hard to believe.
Yea. What a cruel joke to even begin with for Porky fans and eb fans in general. Now it people use it to make us the laughing-stock on 4 chan. Why did the smash team do this to us?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
The copyright attack from Sony is getting worse on Youtube. Now let's plays, walkthourgh and streams of the first two games are getting targeted with Content ID, which means Sony putting ads on videos and getting money from these.
Not mentioning there are still plenty of videos being striked down.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I feel stupid; I tried to do a little more digging about this Sony stuff and I guess they did distribute the Mother 2 OST in an album/CD release and it wasn’t covers, at least based on what I could find from Google and WikiBound, although the original Mother’s music should be safe at least (that album was just covers and vocal tracks) as is Mother 1+2’s (Sony didn’t do that one).

I guess the Mother 1+2 CD/album was what I was thinking of for EarthBound covers previously, idk.

However, I still don’t see anything about Sony having full rights, just rights to distribution I guess because of the CD release, so even if they may be allowed to take down OST uploads if that messes with legal stuff like “only these people are allowed to distribute our music!” (not sure), it’s pretty stupid to take down music in the context of it just playing during a playthrough or used as background music for something like a news update or whatever ._.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
It’s now been 100% confirmed that FP2 is the last wave of characters the game is getting.
Two shots left guys and gals
I was already on that mindset since Steve and Sakurai already stating it would be the end.
Frankly I think the best chance for Porky is if he is in a double-reveal at E3.
If E3 happens, only one character is shown and it's not Porky, I'll find him less likely.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
I was already on that mindset since Steve and Sakurai already stating it would be the end.
Frankly I think the best chance for Porky is if he is in a double-reveal at E3.
If E3 happens, only one character is shown and it's not Porky, I'll find him less likely.
well you see, he hasn't outright said the words "these two characters are the last DLC for this game," so obviously that means he's just throwing us off the scent of the three more Fighters Passes worth of Playstation reps and animes and whatever else it is people wish for

SirLordCapybara

Smash Rookie
While I do believe there'd certainly be some backlash to pretty much any 1st party character at this point, I feel that Porky wouldn't get as much hate as someone like Byleth, as he would be a rather unique fighter from a series that has doesn't have as much representation as Fire Emblem/Pokemon/Mario.

Paraster

Smash Lord
While I do believe there'd certainly be some backlash to pretty much any 1st party character at this point, I feel that Porky wouldn't get as much hate as someone like Byleth, as he would be a rather unique fighter from a series that has doesn't have as much representation as Fire Emblem/Pokemon/Mario.
Plus, there's the fact that EarthBound is an iconic Smash-inaugural franchise AND that Porky has guaranteed recognizibility among anyone who played Subspace Emissary.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Suggest your Porky Smash trailer, now!
Back before Hero and Banjo revealed that CGI DLC trailers were on the table (whereas Smash 4 generally used in-game trailers), I conceptualized a continuation of Lucas's Smash 4 trailer where he and Ness fight off Bowser together, but then an ominous spider-shaped shadow looms over them and the rest seems evident from there.

A CGI version would likely follow the same concept with some more flair, maybe even adding a flashback to Porky's appearance in Subspace Emissary?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Here, have multiple ideas:

Ness receives the letter from Porky at the end of EarthBound which informs him that Porky plans to see him on the battlefield. Cut to Ness walking out of his house onto the Onett stage, Porky is already there. Splash screen, gameplay. Could be used as an outro to an EarthBound Trilogy trailer.

Lucas and company approach Pig King Statue, battle entrance animation, cut to CGI, Statue knocks out Kumatora, Duster, and Boney. Lucas destroys it with a New Years Eve Bomb, Porky pops out, splash screen, gameplay.

Then there’s the easy-one, Ness is fighting Giygas, Porky teleports in with his mech, splash screen, gameplay.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What? I thought it was okay to post a separate post every hour or so.
It's a separate post every day if nobody's posted between them, though it should still have some substance to it. (for example, you wouldn't be able to post "bump" to keep the thread at the front of the Newcomer Speculation section)

Top Bottom