• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

Nezznar

Smash Rookie
It's sad opening this thread again and seeing how much the hype has died down. I remember hyping myself up so much in 2019 partially due to the year of the pig theory. Not sure if any of you porkybros have discord, but I'll leave mine if anybody wants to chat or add eachothers friend codes for some smash matches. Shooky#6405

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
It's sad opening this thread again and seeing how much the hype has died down. I remember hyping myself up so much in 2019 partially due to the year of the pig theory. Not sure if any of you porkybros have discord, but I'll leave mine if anybody wants to chat or add eachothers friend codes for some smash matches. Shooky#6405
It really is sad. But hey who knows, the thread might get revived. Maybe Nintendo will bring Porky to Smash. Sakurai was given a list of characters for Sakura to choose. I'm confident that Porky was on that list.

If only the Year of the Pig Theory was true. No way I'll believe in the ASC spirit. Earthbound still deserves one more rep.

Last edited:

Nezznar

Smash Rookie
It really is sad. But hey who knows, the thread might get revived. Maybe Nintendo will bring Porky to Smash. Sakurai was given a list of characters for Sakura to choose. I'm confident that Porky was on that list.

If only the Year of the Pig Theory was true. No way I'll believe in the ASC spirit. Earthbound still deserves one more rep.
I wish this were true but Porky doesn't seem like a character corporate Nintendo would pick. The only way that would happen is if they wanted to promote a Mother 3 worldwide release. Porky seems like a pick Sakurai might go for considering he is a huge Earthbound fan, but since he isn't calling the shots I'm not as hopeful.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
At this point, I'm really wonder if Nintendo were willing to add a third JRPG character to the Fighter's Pass. I really don't want to give up, but I can only be more skeptical.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
At this point, I'm really wonder if Nintendo were willing to add a third JRPG character to the Fighter's Pass. I really don't want to give up, but I can only be more skeptical.
why not? I think JRPGs are popular enough to merit a second one

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
theres already sephiroth and pyra/mythra
Earthbound, Pokemon, Paper Mario, Chrono Trigger all have a huge fanbase that want there character in smash. I wouldn't be surprised if we got another jrpg character. And we might get another fighter pass.

Nezznar

Smash Rookie
Earthbound, Pokemon, Paper Mario, Chrono Trigger all have a huge fanbase that want there character in smash. I wouldn't be surprised if we got another jrpg character. And we might get another fighter pass.
Since there are only two characters left, its better to remain skeptical. We don't have to wait much longer to find out anyway. As of right now though, Sakurai has said multiple times that this is the last pass, until an announcement changes that, I will take his word for it.

Nezznar

Smash Rookie
http://imgur.com/gallery/GM0JKsA
I decided to make a Porky discord server so minchads can speculate and post fanart and such easier. Has channels for discussing non-Porky related topics as well. If any of you guys want to join feel free to.

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
My primary gimmick idea for Porky was a "What Did Porky Do?" move that causes random status effects, like Luigi's Negative Zone and now Sepiroth's Final Smash. A secondary gimmick that feels very "Sakurai" to me is his mech having wall-crawling capabilities - basically being able to crawl off the side of and underneath the stage. Not likely due to stage limitations, but a fun idea.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wish this were true but Porky doesn't seem like a character corporate Nintendo would pick. The only way that would happen is if they wanted to promote a Mother 3 worldwide release. Porky seems like a pick Sakurai might go for considering he is a huge Earthbound fan, but since he isn't calling the shots I'm not as hopeful.
THIS. This is what I've been saying for a long time now. Porky's only chance of getting in is if they plan to bring and localize Mother 3 in the west and promote Porky in Smash as promotion for Mother 3 in the west. It might not happen, but I see this scenario as Porky's only chance.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Now that I think about the current situation, I feel like its more likely to see porky as a bonus character for when you have all characters from fp1 and fp2 in the game.

Or instead, you can buy him separately for 4.99. He'll have his own spirit board with the missing pigmask army spirits, but there is no stage.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
April 20 is Mother 3’s 15th Anniversary. I expect nothing, since Smash typically doesn’t do reveals on a game or series’ anniversary, but I’d be skeptical if we got a Nintendo Direct or something on that day.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
April 20 is Mother 3’s 15th Anniversary. I expect nothing, since Smash typically doesn’t do reveals on a game or series’ anniversary, but I’d be skeptical if we got a Nintendo Direct or something on that day.
Maybe a Nintendo Direct could happen near that date.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So xenoblade has now more Reps than Mother that dumb i mean yeah Xenoblade sold more but thats just because there where multiple opportunity to buy these games new and Worldwide!
I mean Xenoblade is (relativly atleast Gameplay and tonewise) generic and Mother inspired hundreds of games! If im Honest if Nintendo Wants me to see Smash as a Celebration of Gaming/ Nintendo we need these first Party Chars: Porky, Impa, Skullkid, Bandana Waddle Dee, Magolor, Darkmatter
And these Third Party Chars (only for franchises already in Smash): Tails, Eggman, The Ghost + ms Pacman Alt
Lets hope a Sequel fixes some of these Problems!

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Earthbound is the Alternative Music of the JRPG scene, a character from that series is not going to be looked at the same way as a traditional JRPG character.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think another character reveal date could happen this month in april

Sephiroth reveal was dec 10

Pyra and mythra reveal was feb 17

The next character reveal could happen this month of April

Mother 3 anniversary is april 20- hopefully this means something
Maybe. But if we are having E3 this year and the next 2 fighters are the last, I could see them saving the last 2 reveals for E3 in June.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So I'm a complete newb when it comes to Earthbound and Mother, though I think Porky could still be an interesting choice for a character. And it's still really weird how he doesn't have a spirit in Ultimate, despite being a pretty major character. But I've gotta ask those who know more about the series? If Porky makes it, could it be in a Challenger Pack? I only ask cause, I think Mother has a pretty good selection of stages, music and spirits in Ultimate already and I don't know what extra stuff he could possibly come with. I'm of the opinion that he'd make for a much better standalone fighter separate from the Fighters Pass like Piranha Plant.

Idk, what do you all think?

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
So I'm a complete newb when it comes to Earthbound and Mother, though I think Porky could still be an interesting choice for a character. And it's still really weird how he doesn't have a spirit in Ultimate, despite being a pretty major character. But I've gotta ask those who know more about the series? If Porky makes it, could it be in a Challenger Pack? I only ask cause, I think Mother has a pretty good selection of stages, music and spirits in Ultimate already and I don't know what extra stuff he could possibly come with. I'm of the opinion that he'd make for a much better standalone fighter separate from the Fighters Pass like Piranha Plant.

Most likely he would be a standalone fighter, but I wouldn't say no to fighting in the Devil's Machine

Oracle Link

Smash Master

I think Porky could supply a Challenger pack:

Music: There is only one Battle Theme in the Game Porky could add some of these (if there isnt any problems with Copyright:

The main Boss theme of the Firtst 2 Games!

The weak battle Themeof the first game

A Battle Music Medly pof Mother 2/earthbound (only Parts/songs that are original to mother!

+

(the Porky Army battle Theme)

(the Earthbound 64/ mother 3 fall of the pig King Battle Theme)

+
(Tazzmilly themes for most of the song the first one plays then at the end the second one plays shortly)

Stage: While there is no need for a second Porky / Giygas stage one off the most important Locations in Mother 3 Didnt get a Stage so he and lucas could Trade Strages!

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I have heard speculation that we could get a spirit event for Mother 3’s 15th anniversary that could add Porky, not sure if it has been discussed yet in this thread yet.
But if Porky is “forgotten” from a second spirit event, that will be incredibly suspicious
It definitely will be suspicious. Hoping to god Porky isn't randomly added as a spirit.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I'm not going to lie, I totally lose hope on Porky at this point. The next fighter is probbaly going to be at e3, and I don't see Porky being there. After that there will only be one spot left and it will most likely be announced in a direct around September. Unless there's really some plan to localize Mother 3, I doin't see why Nintendo would have pick him. And even assuming that Mother 3 is coming, we have to keep in mind that the fighters were already chosen when the pass was announced (so around fall 2019). So that would mean that the localization was planned very early on, which at this point I doubt. I hate being pessimistic but for me it just seems that Nintendo don't care at all about Earthbound. They couldn't even bother putting the first two games on the NES and SNES online on Switch!

I think the only chances Porky have at this point would be as a bonus fighter, if Nintendo don't choose the character and gives Sakurai more liberty for those. But as long as Nintendo will be decide, I really don't thing nothing Earthbound related will be added to the game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The way I see it, Porky is only happening if Mother 3 comes to the west as Sakurai mentioned before had he known Mother 3 was coming out in the west during Brawl's release he wouldn't have added Lucas to the roster. Porky's chances all depend on a Mother 3 localization coming out during the development of a Smash game and it's DLC.

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I’d settle for a spirit if it came to it. I would like to see Porky in the game in any form, as this is the biggest crossover ever in gaming
No way I'm settling for just a spirit.

pngs don't mean crap imo

Last edited:
Top Bottom