• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Still no earthbound on the nintendo online membership games. There's no way Nintendo is this oblivious. The game sold so well on the eshop on the wiiu. Plus with the Mother Hobonichi project going on. I really feel like we're gonna get something big that's mother related with a Porky reveal. Of course it could just be Nintendo neglecting the series but everything just seems too perfect. I'm sure there's more things I missed.
I think if Porky is getting in Smash, he will be used to promote Mother 3's possible official western localization that will be released and announced shortly after Porky's reveal. But that's a little unlikely. But I only see Porky getting in if they plan to finally bring Mother 3 to the west.

Dolph63

Smash Cadet
View attachment 303332
I feel like it’s quite likely tomorrow’s character will be first party since smash is being lumped into a normal direct instead of having its own.
But man it’s great to have a regular direct again after so long
Maybe a Mother rep with Mother 3 localization????👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀
Prolly not, but it's a fun thought. I'm fine with pretty much any character from any series, so if it's actually Mother it's mostly just a big hype bonus for me.

Zeox

Smash Champion
View attachment 303332
I feel like it’s quite likely tomorrow’s character will be first party since smash is being lumped into a normal direct instead of having its own.
But man it’s great to have a regular direct again after so long
I know it says "Smash Ultimate", but in the last bunch of streamings they said they were going to announce a new character and in this one they didn't mention it.
I mean, I know it's obvious that there will be a new character, but there's also the possibility that there wouldn't be any and is just, I dunno a new mode or only new mii costumes and stuff like that.
I like that they said that they will also announce new games, that gives hopes for earthbound related stuff (even if it wouldn't be because life is cruel for mother fans)

Zeox

Smash Champion
Kinda off-topic, but I recently played Omori... well.. recently... I beat the game on the best ending an hour ago... is a mix between Earthbound + OFF + Yume Nikki + Undertale.

So, knowing there are Earthbound fans here (obviously), if anyone is looking for a experience that is half fun childhood adventures half traumatic devastating soulcrushing sad feelings, Omori is 100% recommended, 10/10, haven't played an RPG this good since... I don't know, a very, very long time.

Dolph63

Smash Cadet
Kinda off-topic, but I recently played Omori... well.. recently... I beat the game on the best ending an hour ago... is a mix between Earthbound + OFF + Yume Nikki + Undertale.

So, knowing there are Earthbound fans here (obviously), if anyone is looking for a experience that is half fun childhood adventures half traumatic devastating soulcrushing sad feelings, Omori is 100% recommended, 10/10, haven't played an RPG this good since... I don't know, a very, very long time.
Looks neat.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
We have two characters left. I'm still gonna believe in Porky getting in. He's got this. Hold on everyone.
I really hope so, but I feel like Nintendo would want to go out with a bang for the final two characters in ultimate and will include two third parties.
Although I feel like it’s still weird EarthBound and EarthBound beginnings still aren’t on the VC library yet, currently we’re two for two with first and third party fighters in pass 2 and Porky is still absent from the game (not that it matters much anymore since two more spirits got promoted yesterday).
But yeah, I want to stay cautiously optimistic but the chances ain’t looking great..
Still, I can’t believe I was more hyped for a 3DS port than a smash reveal lol

Last edited:

Dolph63

Smash Cadet
Has anyone here got the textures of Porky's "borrowed" helicopter from Melee? I once saw on a really old thread on Starmen.net (they're discussing if Ness is going to be in Brawl lol) a mention that Porky's face could be faintly seen in the helicopter's windshield and I wanted to confirm that without having to go ask my mom to go get the Gamecube from the attic.
If anyone could check that out I'd be very glad.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone here got the textures of Porky's "borrowed" helicopter from Melee? I once saw on a really old thread on Starmen.net (they're discussing if Ness is going to be in Brawl lol) a mention that Porky's face could be faintly seen in the helicopter's windshield and I wanted to confirm that without having to go ask my mom to go get the Gamecube from the attic.
If anyone could check that out I'd be very glad.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We have two characters left. I'm still gonna believe in Porky getting in. He's got this. Hold on everyone.
We got to stay strong until the end my Pig Mask Comrade. ;)

Just came here to support Porky! He is on my wishlist along with Reimu for the final 2 characters of FP2.
I support Porky for Smash Bros. I think that if the Mother series should get a final representative, then it should be him. I speak somewhat ignorantly though.
Welcome to the Pig Mask Army new comrades! ;)

Dolph63 Dolph63 is talking about where to find the texture rip to the helicopter.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I really hope so, but I feel like Nintendo would want to go out with a bang for the final two characters in ultimate and will include two third parties.
Although I feel like it’s still weird EarthBound and EarthBound beginnings still aren’t on the VC library yet, currently we’re two for two with first and third party fighters in pass 2 and Porky is still absent from the game (not that it matters much anymore since two more spirits got promoted yesterday).
But yeah, I want to stay cautiously optimistic but the chances ain’t looking great..
Still, I can’t believe I was more hyped for a 3DS port than a smash reveal lol
Even Earthbound fans themselves are saying that Mother does not deserve another rep. Idk how to feel, to this day, I'm still disappointed with the Min Min and Byleth reveal. I wish popularity and "promotion"(the worst) wasn't such a huge factor in deciding a character's chances. If only Sakurai were to pick the characters instead of Nintendo Executives.

kumie

Smash Rookie
We learned two things that are bad news. One, Sakurai said that he isn't deciding the last two fighters. Second, the action figure theory. The two characters have been decided and are action figures in Sakurai' drawer. As far as I know, no official peice of Porky mech merch exists. On the other hand, there is a brawl model for Porky that can be referenced. I don't know anymore. Still not giving up until the end of the pass.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
We learned two things that are bad news. One, Sakurai said that he isn't deciding the last two fighters. Second, the action figure theory. The two characters have been decided and are action figures in Sakurai' drawer. As far as I know, no official peice of Porky mech merch exists. On the other hand, there is a brawl model for Porky that can be referenced. I don't know anymore. Still not giving up until the end of the pass.
No official merchandise/figures for Min Min exist either, as far as I know (along with a lot of other examples of Smash characters). It's not like a figure HAS to exist for a character to make it into Smash.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I believe what was said was that Sakurai generally has figures of the characters to use for reference, not that the next two fighters definitely have them nor that they're needed (there are other things that can be used for some reference, and hey, MonolithSoft's artist for XC2 straight up made new artwork just for Sakurai and his team to add as a spirit). I'm honestly surprised "Figure Theory" is being taken seriously; when I first saw it in newcomer speculation, it seemed people were joking about it and I joined in a little. Then on twitter, however, people were genuinely using it to speculate, apparently, and on this site too...don't worry, it's nothing worth worrying about nor making any serious theories over.

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I think Porky has a shot. The inclusion of Banjo and Kazooie showed that Nintendo is willing to cater to the Silent Generation/early Millenials.

Earthbound as a property still has value even outside of Smash Bros. Recent merchandise for the franchise is still going strong, and say what you will about the issues surrounding the release of Mother 3, Mother/Earthbound games were released for the Wii U and New Nintendo 3DS.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I’ve been seeing a lot of Porky support across different platforms lately, are the odds really in his favour again?
I’m suddenly less sure with who the final two will be as I was banking on a Capcom character being one of them but it seems like that might not be happening with the missing monster hunter costumes returning and fortnite getting Capcom characters.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well dang, somehow my notifications got turned off for this thread.

I do think the last 2 characters will be split, with 1 first party and 1 third party. As to who they will be, it’s anyone’s guess. Smash reveal cycles tend to go out on a...controversial note, for lack of a better word. Not exactly a world-shocker but also not necessarily a character that is entirely, completely out of left field.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I’ve been seeing a lot of Porky support across different platforms lately, are the odds really in his favour again?
I’m suddenly less sure with who the final two will be as I was banking on a Capcom character being one of them but it seems like that might not be happening with the missing monster hunter costumes returning and fortnite getting Capcom characters.
Porky has a good shot. There's no Earthbound theme online tournament, Porky's character render is suspiciously absent as a spirit and Earthbound/Mother as a brand is still being merchandised.

Capcom already has three representatives with Mega Man, Ryu and Ken, Konami has three representatives with Snake, Simon Belmont and Richter and Sega has three representatives with Sonic, Bayonetta and Joker and Square Enix has three representatives with Cloud, Hero and Sephiroth.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Porky has a good shot. There's no Earthbound theme online tournament, Porky's character render is suspiciously absent as a spirit and Earthbound/Mother as a brand is still being merchandised.

Capcom already has three representatives with Mega Man, Ryu and Ken, Konami has three representatives with Snake, Simon Belmont and Richter and Sega has three representatives with Sonic, Bayonetta and Joker and Square Enix has three representatives with Cloud, Hero and Sephiroth.
I believe Nintendo would add one more villain character to the Fighters Pass.

This song is about to play real soon. I really don't want to believe it, but Nintendo probably just gave up on Earthbound.

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if you guys saw this specific video. But imo it puts things into good perspective.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Don't know if you guys saw this specific video. But imo it puts things into good perspective.
That porky leak snippit looked kinda badass even if it's fake. I would love a revival and the merch looks so cool. I beat Beginnings and am watching my dad play Earthbound since I have a cast. This game is so awesome.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Even Earthbound fans themselves are saying that Mother does not deserve another rep. Idk how to feel, to this day, I'm still disappointed with the Min Min and Byleth reveal. I wish popularity and "promotion"(the worst) wasn't such a huge factor in deciding a character's chances. If only Sakurai were to pick the characters instead of Nintendo Executives.
Well, that will never change especially now that Smash is a gigantic cash cow for Nintendo. Nintendo's Executives will always have supervision and control over the vast majority of the Smash picks chosen in each game as they just see Smash as a big commercial tool for selling their latest games. While Sakurai and the development team might not think this way, Nintendo's Executives certainly do.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Well, that will never change especially now that Smash is a gigantic cash cow for Nintendo. Nintendo's Executives will always have supervision and control over the vast majority of the Smash picks chosen in each game as they just see Smash as a big commercial tool for selling their latest games. While Sakurai and the development team might not think this way, Nintendo's Executives certainly do.
That kinda sucks when you want thirds parties and reps from there one and done games

Top Bottom