• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Well guys let's think about this from a more positive perspective, If Porky doesn't in this next fighters pass there's always next game, chances are plenty of more people will be aware of him and ask. No use getting frustrated

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well guys let's think about this from a more positive perspective, If Porky doesn't in this next fighters pass there's always next game, chances are plenty of more people will be aware of him and ask. No use getting frustrated
Agreed. Porky was never the most likely character anyway nether is any other potential Mother character. But non the less, I will support Porky until he get's in or until the day I die. One thing that has made me quite happy about Porky in Ultimate is how he has become more popular. Not Geno/Isaac/Shantae levels of popularity, but he has become popular enough in some big polls to have reach the top 20. To me that's a HUGE step forward for us even if we have a long way to go. I think Ridley and K. Rool getting in might have increased Porky's popularity because now that they're finally in, Mother is the only Nintendo franchise left in the roster without an iconic villain.

When you think of Nintendo's rouge gallery, who do you think of? I think of:

:ultbowser:
:ultganondorf:/Ganon
:ultridley:
:ultkrool:

Andross (Sorry Wolf but you're not the big bad of the franchise.)

:ultkingdedede: (Was a bad guy in the first few games but became a anti hero as the series moved on. Still kind of Kirby's big bad though.)

Giygas or Porky. I would say Giygas is more iconic, but Porky would make it in as a character over him because he connecst both Ness and Lucas's stories.

Nintendo's rouge gallery is almost perfect in the roster and all we need to reach perfection is to get a Mother antagonist in the roster specifically Porky.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Agreed. Porky was never the most likely character anyway nether is any other potential Mother character. But non the less, I will support Porky until he get's in or until the day I die. One thing that has made me quite happy about Porky in Ultimate is how he has become more popular. Not Geno/Isaac/Shantae levels of popularity, but he has become popular enough in some big polls to have reach the top 20. To me that's a HUGE step forward for us even if we have a long way to go. I think Ridley and K. Rool getting in might have increased Porky's popularity because now that they're finally in, Mother is the only Nintendo franchise left in the roster without an iconic villain.

When you think of Nintendo's rouge gallery, who do you think of? I think of:

:ultbowser:
:ultganondorf:/Ganon
:ultridley:
:ultkrool:

Andross (Sorry Wolf but you're not the big bad of the franchise.)

:ultkingdedede: (Was a bad guy in the first few games but became a anti hero as the series moved on. Still kind of Kirby's big bad though.)

Giygas or Porky. I would say Giygas is more iconic, but Porky would make it in as a character over him because he connecst both Ness and Lucas's stories.

Nintendo's rouge gallery is almost perfect in the roster and all we need to reach perfection is to get a Mother antagonist in the roster specifically Porky.
I feel like you could probably throw team rocket in there, even though they are a second party.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Technically there's Kid Icarus too, depending on your views of Hades and Medusa.

That's fair, I'd rather not see the Mother side of Smash support become extinct.

You still gotta wonder how on Earth Porky hasn't been referenced in any way whatsoever, even with M3 sprites being used as spirits. Spirit team is weird, man.

andree123

Smash Ace
I am waiting if Sakurai would bring us four more standalone DLC fighters after Fighters Pass 2 just because of the placeholder slots datamine leak.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don’t think we’ll see anything after Challenger Pack 11. I wouldn’t mind being proven wrong, but Sakurai and the team need a break. If he thinks he can keep doing more, then I welcome it. But I’m fairly certain this will be the end for DLC.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like you could probably throw team rocket in there, even though they are a second party.
I forgot about them while writing that post. Yeah, they definitely should be the Pokemon villain if we ever get one. I don't really consider :ultmewtwo: to be the Pokemon villain rep even though Melee kind of gave the impression he was by throwing him with Giga Bowser and Ganondorf in Event 51. The Team Rocket Mii costumes could be a sign they're wanted for Smash and maybe even might be one of the newcomers for the next Smash.

Technically there's Kid Icarus too, depending on your views of Hades and Medusa.
I didn't forget about them, I was just mentioning the big iconic Nintendo villains everyone knows.

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I did have this theory that Porky is a scrapped character for ultimate.
As we all know it’s super weird he’s not in the game at all as a character so maybe he was a character they had in reserve in case a third party deal (probably Simon) didn’t go through. But then again, plant was absent from the game too before he joined and so was Byleth and three houses didn’t get a spirit event at launch, and Mother 1 and 2 still haven’t been added to online so I’m still on the fence

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For what it's worth, Fatman did hear a rumor about a bonus character being brought in right after Pass 2, as a tribute to Iwata. We'll see if that holds water.
That could be Balloon Fighter if anything else.

Also, do you guys think there might be a Earthbound remake for Switch coming?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Would you guys still take a Porky Spirit over nothing? I think I would at this point. I really want Porky in as a playable character, but seeing how things have come about lately it almost makes me doubt we will get the Porkster. It's important that Porky is in Ultimate even if he just a Spirit because he at least deserves to be a honorable mention in the biggest gaming crossover in history.

Last edited:

Boopadoo

Smash Rookie
Would you guys still take a Porky Spirit over nothing? I think I would at this point. I really want Porky in as a playable character, but seeing how things have come about lately it almost makes me doubt we will get the Porkster. It's important that Porky is in Ultimate even if he just a Spirit because he at least deserves to be a honorable mention in the biggest gaming crossover in history.
Abso. Lutely. I will take what I can get. Going into Ultimate, I expected him to be quietly spirited like so many others but he doesn't even have that :/

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I want him as a fighter, but yeah, I would like a spirit or some appearance at least. We have his stage and music, yeah, but not him, only his statue. Sure, you could say he got spirited away with the Absolutely Safe Capsule, but even if the devs considered it a joke and that it’s also Porky’s spirit (which is, admittedly, a funny joke imo), we don’t get to see him at all; they could at least include his EarthBound clay figure as a spirit, or one of his sprites...

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Did Rayquaza get any sort of recognition in Ultimate even? I get they can't bring back all the Brawl bosses, but outside of Ridley, Rayquaza and Porky where easily the most important, lore wise.

AaronOfDoom77

Smash Rookie
I want him as a fighter, but yeah, I would like a spirit or some appearance at least. We have his stage and music, yeah, but not him, only his statue. Sure, you could say he got spirited away with the Absolutely Safe Capsule, but even if the devs considered it a joke and that it’s also Porky’s spirit (which is, admittedly, a funny joke imo), we don’t get to see him at all; they could at least include his EarthBound clay figure as a spirit, or one of his sprites...
My question is, why didn’t they just make a Porky spirit, and have that spirit be used for summoning the Absolutely Safe Capsule? That would have made for a much more clever reference.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Or have Porky evolve into the absolutely safe capsule spirit.
That’s why I feel like he was at least planned at one point as a character and was shelved at the very last minute, everything to do with him is just gone for no reason

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
So... who do you guys main at the moment? I’ve finally begun playing plant and love him to bits.

I know this isn’t exactly Porky related discussion but as we’re in for another dry spell I wanted to revive the thread a little

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So... who do you guys main at the moment? I’ve finally begun playing plant and love him to bits.

I know this isn’t exactly Porky related discussion but as we’re in for another dry spell I wanted to revive the thread a little
Mainly Ganondorf, Ridley, King K. Rool, Bowser, Mewtwo, Banjo & Kazooie, Palutena, Lucina, and Simon.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I guess its safe to assume Pokey is guaranteed next Smash since he's a legacy character by this point and he has a decent support base. Would've loved to see his spirit since spirits are redeems in Smash lore.

Like, why is one of the Mother series most defining characters so spirit lacking? Gotta make you wonder sometimes.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

I mainly play Corrin, Mewtwo, Lucas, and a few other random guys. I'm trying to figure out Ridley, Byleth, King K. Rool, Incineroar, and people that I don't play much.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Mario, Sonic, Banjo & Kazooie, Mr. Game +& Watch, Robin, Joker?, Lucina, Marth, Lucario, King.K.Rool, and Cloud.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I guess its safe to assume Pokey is guaranteed next Smash since he's a legacy character by this point and he has a decent support base. Would've loved to see his spirit since spirits are redeems in Smash lore.

Like, why is one of the Mother series most defining characters so spirit lacking? Gotta make you wonder sometimes.
Mother 3 came out almost 14 years ago and the series has been finished since that game's release. So really Porky can't be called a character from a quote on qoute: "Dead franchise" Because the Mother series is finished, done, ended. So yeah, I could see Porky having yet another chance in Smash 6 if he doesn't make into Ultimate. How good will his chances be come Smash 6? Don't know, only time will tell.

I think it's pretty much concrete facts that we're not getting another Mother character in the roster until they localize and release Mother 3 in the west because Sakurai mentioned way back in the day had he know ahead of time that Mother 3 wasn't going to be release overseas, he wouldn't have added Lucas in Brawl.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Mother 3 came out almost 14 years ago and the series has been finished since that game's release. So really Porky can't be called a character from a quote on qoute: "Dead franchise" Because the Mother series is finished, done, ended. So yeah, I could see Porky having yet another chance in Smash 6 if he doesn't make into Ultimate. How good will his chances be come Smash 6? Don't know, only time will tell.

I think it's pretty much concrete facts that we're not getting another Mother character in the roster until they localize and release Mother 3 in the west because Sakurai mentioned way back in the day had he know ahead of time that Mother 3 wasn't going to be release overseas, he wouldn't have added Lucas in Brawl.
Porkey needs heavier support and he could get in easily. Mother 3 localized in the West would undeniably help his chances but he doesn't necessarily need it since we're most likely getting Earthbound Pokey anyway, which Earthbound is the most established and legacy game in the series. Mother 3 is redundant and irrelevant, honestly.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Looks at my signature and username

Ehhhh...a few characters...

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918

My mains are Lucas and Joker with a Byleth secondary, and then I just play a bunch of other characters for fun. when Porky gets released he would probably be an instant main. :p

UserKev

Smash Champion
I would probably also main Porky for a bit. Can there be any hope that Nintendo selected Pokey due to their being no actual spirit of him in the game? Either way, Byleth suddenly being the sure hope of first party DLC is bs to me until a first party other than Fire Emblem is in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would probably also main Porky for a bit. Can there be any hope that Nintendo selected Pokey due to their being no actual spirit of him in the game? Either way, Byleth suddenly being the sure hope of first party DLC is bs to me until a first party other than Fire Emblem is in.
We just have to hang on until the very end. After all, we are in Sakurai's Infinite Tsukuyomi until the ride is over.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You're right and wrong. Nintendo gives Sakurai a list of characters and Sakurai chooses from there who get's in.
The list thing is a fan theory, we just know Sakurai and Nintendo discuss with each other about characters; Sakurai can deny a character, though none have been denied yet (at least for gameplay reasons).

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
The list thing is a fan theory, we just know Sakurai and Nintendo discuss with each other about characters; Sakurai can deny a character, though none have been denied yet (at least for gameplay reasons).
It probably is some kind of combination. Nintendo would never put a character like Terry on the list, you can tell that was a passion pick from Sakurai. Meanwhile Sakurai outright mentioned that there are too many Fire Emblem characters in an interview, Byleth was chosen because Nintendo wanted them in the game. I imagine there is some kind of give and take relationship there where negotiations are made, and Porky would likely be a pick made by Sakurai himself if Porky got in at all.

UserKev

Smash Champion
It probably is some kind of combination. Nintendo would never put a character like Terry on the list, you can tell that was a passion pick from Sakurai. Meanwhile Sakurai outright mentioned that there are too many Fire Emblem characters in an interview, Byleth was chosen because Nintendo wanted them in the game. I imagine there is some kind of give and take relationship there where negotiations are made, and Porky would likely be a pick made by Sakurai himself if Porky got in at all.
Its also to note Sakurai is very aware of Porky due to him being literally selected as a boss in Brawl, when Mother 3 wasn't seeing a Western release. It says a lot because Lucas almost wasn't added.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Its also to note Sakurai is very aware of Porky due to him being literally selected as a boss in Brawl, when Mother 3 wasn't seeing a Western release. It says a lot because Lucas almost wasn't added.
Right but in the same regard, Sakurai also said he wouldn’t have added Lucas if he knew Mother 3 wouldn’t be getting a Western release soon. He added Lucas on the assumption that Mother 3 would be released outside Japan in a short timeframe.

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
I think to fill the gap and my urgent need for something Earthboud/Mother 3 related i might replay M3. Its been pretty dry recently in terms of news since the new fighters pass was announced.

I remember when I had sooooo much hope for Porky, now im actually not sure. I'm split 50/50 on whether he has a really good chance or not. Guess we just gotta wait.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Right but in the same regard, Sakurai also said he wouldn’t have added Lucas if he knew Mother 3 wouldn’t be getting a Western release soon. He added Lucas on the assumption that Mother 3 would be released outside Japan in a short timeframe.
No, I was really saying Porky would have likely been a boss in Brawl without Lucas since Porky still works as a villain for Ness. Porky is more or less the reason Sakurai just went on ahead and added Lucas.

Top Bottom