• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

Emelie

Smash Cadet
I think it's sad that they removed the boss battle with Porky. Even if Mother isn't the most popular Nintendo franchise it still has a lot of dedicated fans and has inspired many game developers to create their own games.

Unless there is another reason for removing him. Maybe they considered him too controversial to be in the game because of the themes involving his character. Especially since that might be part of the reason why they are against releasing Mother 3 despite popular demand.

There is also a lot of censorship in the official English translation of Mother 2 especially when it comes to Porky (child abuse is changed to him not getting a dessert and the cult he joins is wearing pajamas and doesn't look like KKK anymore). If Mai is too much for Smash because of her sexualized design how bad isn't Porky and his politics? Sure, he is the villain but...

Is Porky really for good boys and girls!? :psycho:

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I think it's sad that they removed the boss battle with Porky. Even if Mother isn't the most popular Nintendo franchise it still has a lot of dedicated fans and has inspired many game developers to create their own games.

Unless there is another reason for removing him. Maybe they considered him too controversial to be in the game because of the themes involving his character. Especially since that might be part of the reason why they are against releasing Mother 3 despite popular demand.

There is also a lot of censorship in the official English translation of Mother 2 especially when it comes to Porky (child abuse is changed him not getting a dessert and the cult he joins is wearing pajamas and doesn't look like KKK anymore). If Mai is too much for Smash because of her sexualized design how bad isn't Porky and his politics? Sure, he is the villain but...

Is Porky really for good boys and girls!? :psycho:
Ehh... Looking at some of the stuff that goes on in the source material for other characters, I'd say that that kind of thing doesn't matter. Joker's game deals with sexual assault, murder, drug trafficking, brainwashing, etc., Bayo's source material is distinctly more sexualized, Snake's games are hardly kid-friendly. And I'm sure there are other characters with problematic backgrounds who are represented as Spirits, which Porky isn't.

I have no idea why they decided he shouldn't be in the game anymore, or why they thought his only representation should be, at best, a bad joke with the Absolutely Safe Capsule, but I doubt it's because of anything to do with Earthbound's content. Mai's case is probably the way that it is because CERO ratings are reeeally sensitive to anything that has to do with sex, relative to other mature content, and it'd be tough to represent her in an iconic way without it getting flagged.

Last edited:

Emelie

Smash Cadet
Ehh... Looking at some of the stuff that goes on in the source material for other characters, I'd say that that kind of thing doesn't matter.

I have no idea why they decided he shouldn't be in the game anymore, or why they thought his only representation should be, at best, a bad joke with the Absolutely Safe Capsule, .
I guess the difference is that Mother as a game is targeted at a younger audience. I can imagine that Snake's and Bayonetta's games are listed as either Teen or Mature. But then again didn't they raise the rating on Earthbound to Teen when it was re-released for the Wii U? Even though it still had all the censorship. This could imply that they think Mother is a controversial series just in general.

Another possibility could be that Itoi wanted him to be represented by the capsule for artistic reasons. After all isn't that the point of the capsule that Porky feels so disconnected from other people that he thought he might as well carry out the rest of his immortal life in complete isolation? That would be a very depressing reason to exclude him but it fits the themes of his character perfectly... :crying:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I guess the difference is that Mother as a game is targeted at a younger audience. I can imagine that Snake's and Bayonetta's games are listed as either Teen or Mature. But then again didn't they raise the rating on Earthbound to Teen when it was re-released for the Wii U? Even though it still had all the censorship. This could imply that they think Mother is a controversial series just in general.

Another possibility could be that Itoi wanted him to be represented by the capsule for artistic reasons. After all isn't that the point of the capsule that Porky feels so disconnected from other people that he thought he might as well carry out the rest of his immortal life in complete isolation? That would be a very depressing reason to exclude him but it fits the themes of his character perfectly... :crying:
I don’t think they see Mother as controversial as long as they keep the Western alterations (though I’d argue it shouldn’t be controversial anyway save the original Happy Happyist sprite, but people gotta complain); the T rating is probably just because of new judgement in modern times. If they thought it was badly controversial, they’d probably take it off the store.

Anyways, Smash is still E10+, and Ness and Lucas are still in as well as New Pork City. I don’t think any of this would be a problem for Porky, especially since the “political stuff” and whatever else from Mother 3 doesn’t need to be mentioned at all. It just comes down to what Sakurai and Nintendo want to do.

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Hey even if he doesn't get included tomorrow, I still think the odds are in our favor for the next fighters pack.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I don't expect him tomorrow because I kinda lose all hopes, but if he was gonna be, he would probably be in the next fighters pack, since this one has been all third parties until this point.
I expect the direct to go this way, announces the 5 DLC character, which would be a third party character, sakurai explains the history of this character, shows movements, final smash, alternative colors, then announces the date for this character that it will be "you can download it right now!" and then, just at the end of the direct, a final trailer drops of the next character that is not part of the pack, and here, at the final moment, is when it could drop Porky.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
If that were the case, then why did Porky show up as a boss in SSE?

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Welp fire emblem has eight reps...
But at least this means first parties are still in the running. Porkybros we live on

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Remember this guys: Byleth wasn't a Spirit and nether is Porky. Both of them are Nintendo characters so I think our boi's chances just skyrocketed to the moon. My follow Pig Mask comrades! Today is a glorious day for us! We are perhaps one step away from victory!

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
This was the series that needed more representation.

Another thing we should be aware of was that new pork city was used quite often in this trailer...

Last edited:

Emelie

Smash Cadet
Interesting how they try to advertise the new DLC for Three Houses with the Fire Emblem character. I wonder if this means that they will only add Nintendo characters if they are trying to advertise something. I guess this could lower Porky's chance to be a DLC character since it seems unlikely that they would release a remake for Mother 3 anytime soon. Unless they port the GBA game as it is but then they still need to give it an official translation. But then again they never ported Persona 5 even though Joker was a DLC character.

If that were the case, then why did Porky show up as a boss in SSE?
Maybe it's because of the story mode in Brawl? They needed a villain so that Ness and Lucas could bound with each other before Ness sacrifices himself and Lucas abandons him but ends up feeling bad which becomes his primary motivation in the story. Aside from Porky the two heroes have little in common.

Since Ultimate doesn't have a story they didn't bother adding Porky and made him a spirit instead. They might have chosen a picture of the capsule instead of Porky because they wanted a spirit with max defence. Maybe they thought Porky didn't need two spirits.

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
Remember this guys: Byleth wasn't a Spirit and nether is Porky. Both of them are Nintendo characters so I think our boi's chances just skyrocketed to the moon. My follow Pig Mask comrades! Today is a glorious day for us! We are perhaps one step away from victory!
I'm not sure how I feel about this. Three houses came much later than smash did whereas mother 2 and 3 have been out way before ultimate came out. So, it would make sense for a game that hasn't been released to not have a spirit, but not really as much sense for old games like mother 2 and 3.

It really does suck that out of all the characters Nintendo wanted to put in we got Byleth though. Think about all the creative, fun characters Nintendo has come up with over the years and we got another fire emblem character.

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
Interesting how they try to advertise the new DLC for Three Houses with the Fire Emblem character. I wonder if this means that they will only add Nintendo characters if they are trying to advertise something. I guess this could lower Porky's chance to be a DLC character since it seems unlikely that they would release a remake for Mother 3 anytime soon. Unless they port the GBA game as it is but then they still need to give it an official translation. But then again they never ported Persona 5 even though Joker was a DLC character.

Maybe it's because of the story mode in Brawl? They needed a villain so that Ness and Lucas could bound with each other before Ness sacrifices himself and Lucas abandons him but ends up feeling bad which becomes his primary motivation in the story. Aside from Porky the two heroes have little in common.

Since Ultimate doesn't have a story they didn't bother adding Porky and made him a spirit instead. They might have chosen a picture of the capsule instead of Porky because they wanted a spirit with max defence. Maybe they thought Porky didn't need two spirits.
That would be fine if literally every single other boss from brawl got spirits in the forms they were fought in, but Porky did not.

Emelie

Smash Cadet
That would be fine if literally every single other boss from brawl got spirits in the forms they were fought in, but Porky did not.
Maybe they were worried about spoilers? I remember how Lucas' trophy in Brawl spoiled the plot with the Masked Man being Claus. Although I didn't really mind at the time. It was actually the spoilers that made me interested in the Mother series in the first place. I really wanted to know what had happened to Lucas after becoming attached to him in Brawl.

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, I don’t think Sakurai cares too much about spoilers for certain games in smash.
New Pork City could be considered a spoiler as it’s the final area in Mother 3.
Fiore being in Shulk’s final smash is a HUGE spoiler and Zanza’s spirit evolving into Metal face is a spoiler also.
I still think it was way too suspicious to exclude him the same way they excluded Byleth, and real talk if fire emblem deserves eight reps than mother deserves one more at least.
Let’s hope porky can sneak into the Fighter pass 2 (aka fire emblem pass)

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they were worried about spoilers? I remember how Lucas' trophy in Brawl spoiled the plot with the Masked Man being Claus. Although I didn't really mind at the time. It was actually the spoilers that made me interested in the Mother series in the first place. I really wanted to know what had happened to Lucas after becoming attached to him in Brawl.
Porky being a spoiler in Brawl renders that opinion moot...

Another thing at least with Byleths inclusion proves we're getting first party as well at the very least...

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
OMG guys I just realized something else HUGE for our pig king's chances. So as you might know, Season Pass 2 will last to pretty much almost 2 years. Metroid Prime 4 will probably be out before or after the 2nd Pass is all released so Sylux's chances just skyrocketed now as he can be used as a promotional advertisement for MP4. He doesn't have a Spirit currently just like Porky so maybe they will get in together and both be a promotional advertisement for Metroid Prime 4 and a official locaalize Mother 3. A man can dream right? PorkLux bros unite!

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Porky was also a trophy in Smash 4, and as said by SuperMrpingpong, Sakurai doesn’t seem to care about spoilers (well save for why Byleth’s hair is green in their last pair of alts; but, the “why” and some details are as far as he goes, past games even spoiling that kind of stuff anyway). Lucas could’ve been cut before being brought back as DLC because of Mother 3 being Japan-only, but then fans changing Sakurai’s mind.

I highly doubt spoilers and potential controversy has anything to do with Porky not appearing. They could have given him a spirit of his EarthBound clay figure, yet they didn’t, and the only references to him are his song, New Pork City, (arguably) the helicopter in Fourside, and the ASC, none of which include him actually being in the game, the ASC even potentially being empty. They could very well add Porky and joke about Galeem only getting the ASC and forgetting about him.

Though, I don’t think missing spirits really mean anything, but basegame spirits could even get promoted in the next pass since they were chosen way before it (so if the ASC was meant to be Porky’s spirit, he could still get in), and it is weird Porky doesn’t have any physical appearance at all, so I think he has a decent shot and I’m hoping for him. I don’t think there’s any need to worry about why he hasn’t been included at all yet.

Last edited:

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
Another thing I'm worried about is wasn't this supposed to be it? We were only supposed to get these 5 characters and then master samurai was gonna be done. Were they going to leave us without a Porky spirit at all? I guess they could have moved characters around from pass 1 to pass 2 or vice versa after they figured out they were gonna add more characters, but still.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Another thing I honestly think Porky is gonna be piranha plant #2, he already has his own stage his own theme (which is a remix technically). Like he doesn't really need much else (but the chance of having no new remixes does sting)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Another thing I'm worried about is wasn't this supposed to be it? We were only supposed to get these 5 characters and then master samurai was gonna be done. Were they going to leave us without a Porky spirit at all? I guess they could have moved characters around from pass 1 to pass 2 or vice versa after they figured out they were gonna add more characters, but still.
So regarding about what you're saying about the possibility of them moving Porky to Season Pass 2 could be a thing. Perhaps Porky in the original draft for Ultimate was planned to be nothing more than a Spirit but got cut due to the possibility of Sakurai wanting to add him as DLC later on after Season Pass 1. Fatmanonice over at the Geno thread has a theory that the Geno and Chocobo Mii costumes were suppose to return alongside Hero but got cut due to them wanting to release more DLC and knowning Geno is a very popular character, so they're saving him for Season Pass 2.

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Another thing I honestly think Porky is gonna be piranha plant #2, he already has his own stage his own theme (which is a remix technically). Like he doesn't really need much else (but the chance of having no new remixes does sting)
Hmm I didn’t think about that. I originally would have thought that Geno would have been plant 2.0 but I guess Porky would make way more sense.
But would we get a 7th character? Or would the bonus character be one of the six where you only get him free for buying the pass

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Hmm I didn’t think about that. I originally would have thought that Geno would have been plant 2.0 but I guess Porky would make way more sense.
But would we get a 7th character? Or would the bonus character be one of the six where you only get him free for buying the pass
I'm just saying whatever to be honest, because there's so many locations in the MOTHER for a potential stage my top 3 are is Tazmily village, the final cave or (my preferred) Giygas's lair and lets not even start with the remixes

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
I'm just saying whatever to be honest, because there's so many locations in the MOTHER for a potential stage my top 3 are is Tazmily village, the final cave or (my preferred) Giygas's lair and lets not even start with the remixes
Even if we didn't get Porky, but we got Cave of the Past with a Porky Means Business remix, that would more than suffice for me.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Yeah with 6 new characters confirmed I think it's safe to assume that with the Earthbound Spirit event long past us with no sign of Porky's spirit in the game, Porky will be one of those six characters, it's just a matter of when as he could either be Character #1 of the new pass and release in like May-June of this year or be the surprise #6 and release... December... 2021...

It may be a long wait but now I am sure that we will eventually get our king in Smash, fellow Pigmasks.

Emelie

Smash Cadet
I wonder which version of Porky would be used if he was added to Smash. I have seen a lot of ideas online like fighting in a smaller mech (either young or old Porky) or Porky controlling a Porkybot. I'm not sure if I like the idea of fighting in the mech because it feels like he could have a more imaginative moveset if he was on the ground instead but then again having him control a Porkybot is also a little weird.

If he fights in a smaller mech I think I would prefer younger Porky from Mother 2. I think younger Porky could be more expressive since the stiff way he moves his arm in Brawl implies that he is tired and has trouble moving. They haven't established how large his old mech was so it would feel less weird if they made it small. Although I must admit that I like Mother 3 Porky better as a character.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
OK. Lots to catch up on, here’s a quick run through from myself.

Byleth is underwhelming. More so because the FE roster in Smash is already inflated as is. The moveset, however, looks like it could be interesting. However, the inclusion makes sense in the way that Three Houses did well AND that Nintendo (primarily Nintendo of Japan) chose the DLC characters for the Pass. I’m not saying I’m any happier than you guys about it, but it makes sense even if none of us really wanted it.

As for what this does for Porky’s chances, I think they’ve gone up. I wouldn’t say he’s a lock, simply because nobody is until they are confirmed, but his chances have certainly increased now that we know they are still considering first party characters. How much have they gone up? I really have no idea. I’d like to say they’ve gone up a lot, but we all know how Nintendo treats this series. Does Porky make sense? In some ways, yes. In others, not so much.

I think what we may have in our favor the most is that this second wave was (as far as we can tell) initially unplanned. That being said, Sakurai and whomever else chose the characters for DLC pack 2 may have noticed some people asking for Porky, meaning the idea is there. And if the idea is there, well then that’s half the battle. Unfortunately for us though, it’s up to Sakurai and Nintendo (not us) at that point whether to make the idea a reality. We shall see what happens. And hopefully, if it does happen, it happens sooner rather than later.

I would prefer him out of his mech, but that’s just me. As long as we have him in (and he doesn’t have a garbage moveset that’s not fun), I will be happy. I think I’ve already posted here multiple times what my ideal stages, music, and Spirits would be that he would come with, but here it is again (in picture form).

669152BF-CF42-464A-82AB-BDDC6A3BDA83.jpeg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wonder which version of Porky would be used if he was added to Smash. I have seen a lot of ideas online like fighting in a smaller mech (either young or old Porky) or Porky controlling a Porkybot. I'm not sure if I like the idea of fighting in the mech because it feels like he could have a more imaginative moveset if he was on the ground instead but then again having him control a Porkybot is also a little weird.

If he fights in a smaller mech I think I would prefer younger Porky from Mother 2. I think younger Porky could be more expressive since the stiff way he moves his arm in Brawl implies that he is tired and has trouble moving. They haven't established how large his old mech was so it would feel less weird if they made it small. Although I must admit that I like Mother 3 Porky better as a character.
I agree that they should use Mother 2 Porky with his mech from that game as his Smash model.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Point is I ain't buying this next fighters until the they're shown, will I buy it eventually yes but only after

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I didn't buy the Season Pass until Banjo & Kazooie was announced and I won't buy the 2nd one until another character I want is announced for it if that's even the case.

Last edited:

Emelie

Smash Cadet
I think it would be interesting if Porky's final smash involved Giygas somehow. Maybe he becomes possessed which gives the player temporary control over Giygas.

Kind of like that old official (?) manga "Ness's Memoirs Adventure" when Porky travels around with Ness but gets kidnapped by the aliens and possessed. Does anybody else remember this old obscure manga? They kind of looked like Peanuts characters.

Mother 1 still haven't gotten anything so maybe this would make up for it. I would prefer Porky over Ninten since he is more interesting as a character and won't be a clone of Ness but on the same time I guess it's a little unfair too.

Last edited:

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Giygas in Porky's final smash would be really cool. I kinda picture it similar to how Petey works in Piranha Plant's final smash. It could zoom into Porky turning off the Devil's Machine and then Giygas appears and takes up a huge area around Porky and does a ton of damage and knockback.

If we do get Porky though are y'all wanting him in a mech? Personally, I think the mech is the only way to go. He doesn't really fight without one in the games since he gets scared and will hide or whatever, so I'm not really sure what they would do for him if he was not in a mech. I'd prefer the heavily armed mech over the spider one from Mother 3, but would definitely be happy with either.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yeah, Giygas in Porky's final smash would be really cool. I kinda picture it similar to how Petey works in Piranha Plant's final smash. It could zoom into Porky turning off the Devil's Machine and then Giygas appears and takes up a huge area around Porky and does a ton of damage and knockback.

If we do get Porky though are y'all wanting him in a mech? Personally, I think the mech is the only way to go. He doesn't really fight without one in the games since he gets scared and will hide or whatever, so I'm not really sure what they would do for him if he was not in a mech. I'd prefer the heavily armed mech over the spider one from Mother 3, but would definitely be happy with either.
If Giygas were to be incorporated into Porky’s Final Smash, I’d imagine it would be something like this (someone else posted this idea before, so it’s not mine, but I liked it).

The Devil’s Machine appears in the background directly behind Porky, and he quickly smashes it, with a swirl appearing, akin to the one that appears when a battle starts in EarthBound. The swirl would have a limited range, but anyone caught in it would be transported to a cutscene where both Giygas and Porky (in his mech) do 40-55% damage from various attacks. If Porky is a playable character outside his mech, he hops in it during the transition to the cutscene. If his playable character is already in the mech, that problem is taken care of.

I feel like I keep bringing this up, but there is this amazing moveset (https://m.imgur.com/a/yRRMP6t ) for Porky outside his mech that I could see working really well if he were to be added outside his mech. Of course, I’ve also seen some people on this thread come up with equally cool ideas for him in his mech. I just think that, since sizing down the mech might look weird, just eliminate the problem by having him fight outside of it. But regardless, as long as he’s in and fun to play, I’ll be happy.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I like to think that Porky’s final smash would be the masked man pulling the final needle at the cave while porky retreats into the capsule and we see a cinematic of the masked man and everything around him being consumed in bright light, if it is the opponent’s final stock of that match, the cutscene will be longer and show the earth being consumed in light. The victory screen will play
https://youtu.be/7Fy7KD0_Vj4
instead of Porky’s victory theme
and have him poking his tongue out rocking back and forth inside the capsule and where the fighters would
normally be clapping, their spots will instead be empty.

Also if Porky is to get in the next wave I feel like he’d be the second character to be revealed as the first will most likely be a big name to sell the pass like Joker was and the second could be a smaller character which isn’t largely in the public eye but is a fun pick regardless

Last edited:

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
I'd be stoked to have Porky as a fighter. Another villain? Check. A Mother-character without PSI? Oh yeah. His arsenal of gadgets lends itself so well for Smash Bros. that'd he'd just be a plain fun character.

So I finally got around to making my own moveset for ol' Porky here. I had this in the works for ages (mainly since I had it almost completed at one point but then lost the file), but here it is:

I hope you enjoy. ^^

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
That's a pretty good moveset but honestly I'm not a fan of that "spider back pack thing". I don't even know where it comes from and I see a lot of moveset who use that. I still think that's a solid moveset because you could pretty much use the same moveset for Porky in a mech.

Top Bottom