• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

EKru

Smash Rookie
First time poster here, I'd personally love to see Porky in the game. I love the Mother series and I feel he'd bring a lot of interesting mechanics to the Ultimate.

Regarding the whole Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit thing, I don't think it's supposed to represent Porky. A lot of people say that the sprite used to represent the ASC is the one for when the Capsule is empty, but that's not exactly true. There are two Capsule sprites in Mother 3, but they aren't for when the Capsule is empty or full, but instead for when the Capsule is moving or still, as shown here. So if the sprite is all we had to determine whether or not Porky is in the Capsule, we wouldn't know for sure. The reason I think Porky isn't represented by the spirit is because of the summoning instructions for it. It takes a Mr. Saturn and a few shield cores to summon the Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit; the shield cores referencing the indestructibility of the Capsule and the Mr. Saturn referencing the fact that Dr. Andonuts and the Mr. Saturns are the ones who created the Capsule. There is nothing that references Porky or pigs involved in the summoning process. If the reason Porky isn't in the game is because the Smash team wanted to make a joke about him being stuck in the Absolutely Safe Capsule, wouldn't they illustrate this joke by making something related to Porky involved in summoning the ASC spirit?

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
If the reason Porky isn't in the game is because the Smash team wanted to make a joke about him being stuck in the Absolutely Safe Capsule, wouldn't they illustrate this joke by making something related to Porky involved in summoning the ASC spirit?
Both Pigma and the Cubivore Pig are available as spirits, so this is of course the sensible analysis. That won't stop this theory never dying, however.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
First time poster here, I'd personally love to see Porky in the game. I love the Mother series and I feel he'd bring a lot of interesting mechanics to the Ultimate.

Regarding the whole Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit thing, I don't think it's supposed to represent Porky. A lot of people say that the sprite used to represent the ASC is the one for when the Capsule is empty, but that's not exactly true. There are two Capsule sprites in Mother 3, but they aren't for when the Capsule is empty or full, but instead for when the Capsule is moving or still, as shown here. So if the sprite is all we had to determine whether or not Porky is in the Capsule, we wouldn't know for sure. The reason I think Porky isn't represented by the spirit is because of the summoning instructions for it. It takes a Mr. Saturn and a few shield cores to summon the Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit; the shield cores referencing the indestructibility of the Capsule and the Mr. Saturn referencing the fact that Dr. Andonuts and the Mr. Saturns are the ones who created the Capsule. There is nothing that references Porky or pigs involved in the summoning process. If the reason Porky isn't in the game is because the Smash team wanted to make a joke about him being stuck in the Absolutely Safe Capsule, wouldn't they illustrate this joke by making something related to Porky involved in summoning the ASC spirit?
You make a great point about the summoning.

Also, welcome to the Pig Mask Army E EKru .

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
This is probably an obvious connection to make, but would you guys say that Porky is the Anti-Ness?

I was thinking the other day that he truly is Ness’s opposite in a way that’s more compelling than other hero/villain rivalries such as Mario and Bowser.
This can be pointed out straight away at the beginning of the game where both boys are present during Buzz Buzz’s speech where they learn about the threat of Giygas. Ness accepts his role as the chosen boy to fight Giygas and has his entire destiny laid out for him for the entire game meanwhile Porky has no role in the grand prophecy so he physically inserts himself into the story, he makes himself an obstacle that constantly impedes Ness’s progress and grows from a minor nuisance to a major threat that was overlooked by even the apple of enlightenment.

But what’s interesting is that despite Ness being an unflappable heroic protagonist and Porky being a cowardly opportunistic antagonist, they both have one attribute in common, they both value friendship to some degree.
During Ness’s trip to the magicant we can see that he does still value Porky as a person and wishes for his old friend back and with some of the clues in Mother 3 it’s implied Porky feels the same way.
Had the circumstances and upbringings of Ness and Porky been slightly different, perhaps Porky could have truly been a friend instead of going on to become the monster he is in Mother 3 or maybe Ness could have been a threat even greater than Giygas.

That’s why I feel like Ness and Porky work well as two sides of the same coin.
Sure this trope works better with characters such as Joker and Akechi, but I feel like it’s still interesting to talk about

Zeox

Smash Champion
Is anyone here good with making sprites? just asking because "Rivals of Aether" (a Smash look alike) just open a workshop were you can make your character, upload it and the rest of the people can play with it... and you know exactly WHY I am asking this here, right? ;)
Anyways, even if everyone here is terrible with sprites or making characters, maybe someone knows someone or we can spread the interest... Ah, here's an example video of some custom characters by Alpharad:

Mr. Pacman

Smash Cadet
Is anyone here good with making sprites? just asking because "Rivals of Aether" (a Smash look alike) just open a workshop were you can make your character, upload it and the rest of the people can play with it... and you know exactly WHY I am asking this here, right? ;)
Anyways, even if everyone here is terrible with sprites or making characters, maybe someone knows someone or we can spread the interest... Ah, here's an example video of some custom characters by Alpharad:

I wish this was on the switch

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
This is probably an obvious connection to make, but would you guys say that Porky is the Anti-Ness? But what’s interesting is that despite Ness being an unflappable heroic protagonist and Porky being a cowardly opportunistic antagonist, they both have one attribute in common, they both value friendship to some degree.
During Ness’s trip to the magicant we can see that he does still value Porky as a person and wishes for his old friend back and with some of the clues in Mother 3 it’s implied Porky feels the same way.
This is great. There really is a Biblical-style moral dichotomy running through the Mother series. The embrace of the end of childhood, defeat & internalization of your dark side, and faith in love are set against their opposites: running from life, letting your dark side take over, and faith in hatred. Porky runs and runs from his situation until he ends up as an old man-child full of regret and vitriol, knowing nothing but being alone and bitter, but absolutely safe.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Holy ****! Damn! Welp, it's time for me to learn how to create sprites.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Surely it wouldn’t be too hard to port over his moveset from Crusade?
Maybe smoothen up some of his animations a bit and we gave ourselves a playable Pork
...not that I’m any good at coding or anything haha, but I think it could be doable

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
It be cool to have a earthbound porky sprite in that game...

Last edited:

Emelie

Smash Cadet
This is probably an obvious connection to make, but would you guys say that Porky is the Anti-Ness?

I was thinking the other day that he truly is Ness’s opposite in a way that’s more compelling than other hero/villain rivalries such as Mario and Bowser.
This can be pointed out straight away at the beginning of the game where both boys are present during Buzz Buzz’s speech where they learn about the threat of Giygas. Ness accepts his role as the chosen boy to fight Giygas and has his entire destiny laid out for him for the entire game meanwhile Porky has no role in the grand prophecy so he physically inserts himself into the story, he makes himself an obstacle that constantly impedes Ness’s progress and grows from a minor nuisance to a major threat that was overlooked by even the apple of enlightenment.

But what’s interesting is that despite Ness being an unflappable heroic protagonist and Porky being a cowardly opportunistic antagonist, they both have one attribute in common, they both value friendship to some degree.
Had the circumstances and upbringings of Ness and Porky been slightly different, perhaps Porky could have truly been a friend instead of going on to become the monster he is in Mother 3 or maybe Ness could have been a threat even greater than Giygas.

That’s why I feel like Ness and Porky work well as two sides of the same coin.
Sure this trope works better with characters such as Joker and Akechi, but I feel like it’s still interesting to talk about
I think Lucas is probably a better foil character to Porky. They have some similarities like the fact that they both had a harsh past and are really anxious (even if they express it differently) and introverted but Lucas never becomes bitter or wants revenge on the world no matter how much it mistreats him.

I also think the setting in Mother 3 is meant to contrast with the urban setting of Mother 2. Lucas and his family don't have the comforts of our current lifestyle (no electricity or technology etc.) while Porky and his family are rich and materialistic but dysfunctional (Porky's father abuses him and has alcohol problems and his mother is cheating).

Porky also believes that both he and the planet are eternal while Lucas and the people of Nowhere Island have tried their best to change their habits and preserve the resources that they have.

I think Itoi really wanted to convey a message with Porky and that is why this character feels so important to him. Mabye Sakurai would be OK with including him (even if he is somewhat obscure) if there is enough demand from us fans but question is if Itoi would allow it?

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
I think Lucas is probably a better foil character to Porky. They have some similarities like the fact that they both had a harsh past and are really anxious (even if they express it differently) and introverted but Lucas never becomes bitter or wants revenge on the world no matter how much it mistreats him.

I also think the setting in Mother 3 is meant to contrast with the urban setting of Mother 2. Lucas and his family don't have the comforts of our current lifestyle (no electricity or technology etc.) while Porky and his family are rich and materialistic but dysfunctional (Porky's father abuses him and has alcohol problems and his mother is cheating).

Porky also believes that both he and the planet are eternal while Lucas and the people of Nowhere Island have tried their best to change their habits and preserve the resources that they have.

I think Itoi really wanted to convey a message with Porky and that is why this character feels so important to him. Mabye Sakurai would be OK with including him (even if he is somewhat obscure) if there is enough demand from us fans but question is if Itoi would allow it?
Pretty sure Itoi has very little if any say at all when it comes to using the MOTHER franchise in this particular way.

EDIT “oH ThEy jUsT FoRgOt aBoUt PoRkY!!!”
C6359F2A-28FF-4C21-97F6-838315DE65E7.png

Last edited:

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
Well its been pretty uneventful this last week or so. I dont wanna say im losing hope, but if something doesnt pop up soon i might. I still believe that our chubster has a strong fighting chance, even if its not gonna be for a while.

andree123

Smash Ace
Here is the status of the subspace emissary bosses in ssbu.
Ridley is a playable with a meta Ridley alt.
Rayquaza returns as a stage element.
Petey is only playable in :ultpiranha:'s final smash.
Galleom returns as a boss again.
Tabuu and Duon return as spirits.
Porky's spidermech from Mother 3 is missing in action.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Seems chat died a lot so, who do you want after the fighter's pass? Can really be anyone possible lol
Literally any character that I actually know/recognize at this point, since the only one we’ve gotten so far is Banjo.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Seems chat died a lot so, who do you want after the fighter's pass? Can really be anyone possible lol
I recently been playing Danganronpa for the first time... well, more like, I been playing nonstop and I just finish the 4 games, the animes, the novels, etc...
At first it was meh but I ended up enjoying the franchises a lot, so I wouldn't mind some danganronpa representation, like Monokuma, the evil robot bear that is a troll with everyone.
I would also like to see Agumon because Digimon is my childhood.
And I dunno... like ROBnWatch said, literally any character that I can recognize.

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
Porky is the most wanted obviously, but after that in no particular order:

X/Zero/Vile (I'll take any of them), Sylux, Morrigan, Dante, any Resident Evil character, Sephiroth, Akuma, Galacta Knight, or Master Chief

Also as long as I recognize the character I'd probably be fine with whoever else gets added. Would prefer not to see any more obscure anime sword characters though lol

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, Porky is the only character I really WANT and feel is missing from the roster.
But I would like Shovel Knight and Bayo 2 Balder playable at some point.
Or after playing Persona 5 I really warmed up to the idea of having Akechi as a Joker semi clone/echo

Paraster

Smash Lord
My number one choice is Quote from Cave Story. I'd also really like Neku from The World Ends With You (though I'd settle for a Neku costume added alongside Sora as a fighter).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
After the pass, my most wanted are these:

1. Steve
2. Geno
3. Porky
4. Skull Kid
5. Midna
6. Gengar

There are others I would love as well, such as Chibi-Robo and King Boo.

Also, made new versions of those Porky video thumbnails I shared once before:
Porky Minch (Earthbound) (Ultimate)2.png
Porky Minch (Mother 3) (Ultimate)2.png

Last edited:

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Quick question, is there any models of the spider-mech floating over the web?
1572392697017.png

I'd hate to have wasted my time on this so far.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Terry’s video is tomorrow and it’s 45 minutes long...
Here’s to blindly hoping, right?
Unfortunately they confirmed no new fighters will be announced during the presentation. We’ll have to wait a bit longer. :(

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately they confirmed no new fighters will be announced during the presentation. We’ll have to wait a bit longer. :(
Ah dang.
But 45 minutes is a long time for one character, especially since they covered Hero’s extremely convoluted mechanics in half that time. I think we’ll get some new Mii costumes at least

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Nothing not SNK related came of today but we did get this:

"WHETHER THE CHARACTER IS FUN TO PLAY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHETHER THE CHARACTER IS NEW OR OLD OR RECOGNIZABLE TO EVERYONE"

Sakurai values having a fun character that brings something new to the table so it doesn’t seem entirely crazy to think he’d consider Porky one day

Edit: sorry for double post

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Nothing not SNK related came of today but we did get this:

"WHETHER THE CHARACTER IS FUN TO PLAY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHETHER THE CHARACTER IS NEW OR OLD OR RECOGNIZABLE TO EVERYONE"

Sakurai values having a fun character that brings something new to the table so it doesn’t seem entirely crazy to think he’d consider Porky one day

Edit: sorry for double post
This right here is very, VERY good news for Porky if anything at all.

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
a evil fat kid in a spider mech...seems like a pretty unique and fun play style to program for is all...more unique then anime magic swordsman #42

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
So Vergeben has said the next character is not Geno, Ryu, Doom Slayer, or Scorpion. I doubt we'd get Porky here, but what do you guys think?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So Vergeben has said the next character is not Geno, Ryu, Doom Slayer, or Scorpion. I doubt we'd get Porky here, but what do you guys think?
OK but if he says who the next character IS, can we please put it in a Spoilers tag? I’d rather not know until it’s officially revealed.

Top Bottom