• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I’m sure this has probably been thought of by someone before but I came up with another Porky reveal trailer concept the other day:

The epilogue of EarthBound will play out with Picky knocking at the door to deliver a letter addressed for Ness from his brother but instead he will say “ I received this letter from my brother Porky. There’s no stamp, and it’s far too early for the mailman to come. There’s this weird logo on the back too... It says ‘See you in Smash, loser! Spankety! Spankety! Spankety!’ What’s a smash?’.
The screen will then fade black and then open with a cinematic of Ness and Lucas hanging out together playing with yo-yos when suddenly they hear loud explosions, when they investigate they see a spider like silhouette approach them, once it gets into view it turns out to be Bowser Jr with large sticks attached to his clown car. He then makes fun of them (similar to Dedede in the K Rool trailer) and then gets launched aside by the real Porky in his spider mech. The real battle then begins

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
it is such a stretch, and if we are going that far then I want a Big Daddy or Booker DeWitt from the bioshock series
I didn't even play video games until I was 8 but I knew what Half-Life was. There's been jokes since 2004 about a Half Life 3 that will likely never come to fruition, and both installments can be argued to sit among the top 20 games of all time. The fact that two games can sell 16 million copies is quite a feat, and nearly double the series sales for Persona, a franchise already represented in Smash.

So is it really a stretch to consider Half-Life a gaming icon? Even if not Gordon, Chell and Heavy are equally significant from Valve.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I’m sure this has probably been thought of by someone before but I came up with another Porky reveal trailer concept the other day:

The epilogue of EarthBound will play out with Picky knocking at the door to deliver a letter addressed for Ness from his brother but instead he will say “ I received this letter from my brother Porky. There’s no stamp, and it’s far too early for the mailman to come. There’s this weird logo on the back too... It says ‘See you in Smash, loser! Spankety! Spankety! Spankety!’ What’s a smash?’.
The screen will then fade black and then open with a cinematic of Ness and Lucas hanging out together playing with yo-yos when suddenly they hear loud explosions, when they investigate they see a spider like silhouette approach them, once it gets into view it turns out to be Bowser Jr with large sticks attached to his clown car. He then makes fun of them (similar to Dedede in the K Rool trailer) and then gets launched aside by the real Porky in his spider mech. The real battle then begins
"Porky Spanks The Competition!"

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
I didn't even play video games until I was 8 but I knew what Half-Life was. There's been jokes since 2004 about a Half Life 3 that will likely never come to fruition, and both installments can be argued to sit among the top 20 games of all time. The fact that two games can sell 16 million copies is quite a feat, and nearly double the series sales for Persona, a franchise already represented in Smash.

So is it really a stretch to consider Half-Life a gaming icon? Even if not Gordon, Chell and Heavy are equally significant from Valve.
yeah, i love the half life games but i meant that Nintendo, a japanese company, wouldnt really select a character from a game like that. Its more likely they will choose a character from the eastern scheme of things. Valve is much more popular in the western hemisphere.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
yeah, i love the half life games but i meant that Nintendo, a japanese company, wouldnt really select a character from a game like that. Its more likely they will choose a character from the eastern scheme of things. Valve is much more popular in the western hemisphere.
A shame Sakurai isn't picking DLC, cause... if it was him, he'd actually probably consider Gordon, maybe even a character from TF2, because (as discussed in the Master Chief thread), Sakurai gave Half Life and Halo, alongside their sequels, a lot of praise. But I don't think you're giving Nintendo much credit, since as I linked, /they/ reached out to Valve to make an exclusive Half-Life game, of course it was canceled because Valve's structure as a game company leads to a lot more games being cancelled than normal. So, Nintendo themselves value Half-Life enough to contact Valve in 2016, and ask them to make an exlcusive Half-Life game for the Switch alongside also giving details on the Switch Lite back then as well. So... I do think you're giving them less credit than warranted, and sure RARE used to work with Nintendo but Banjo is very much a 100% western series and he's in.

A rep from an FPS, which is mostly dominated by a western market, is gonna happen eventually. Whether it be Doom Guy/Slayer to be a Bethesda Rep as a series that birthed the genre, or Master Chief as a second Microsoft rep or Gordon Freeman as a Valve rep as they're two series that revolutionized the genre and refined it in their own ways... it's gonna happen eventually. More so with the fact we are gonna run out of eastern reps eventually that they'd pick, more-so on the third-party side, since the only notable eastern company that comes to mind that isn't yet in Smash Bros (besides Sony)... is Team Ninja, and we're probably gonna get the main character from Ninja Gaiden from them. Plus I mean... while we only have one 100% western character as a fighter, with spirits, assist trophies, and Mii Costumes we have a healthy amount of western love as well. So... yeah, it's gonna happen, and while I'm gonna say in all honesty I believe that'd be Master Chief since early april this year they expressed desire for Chief to join the fight they did with Banjo... I gotta say, I think we're probably gonna get Chief in Smash if Microsoft gets a second rep in the future DLC, as Mr. FPS himself. That said, if we do get a Valve IP in Smash, and while we can totally have both Chief and Gordon, I feel like they might go with a TF2 rep seeming as it's the grandad of all Class-based Team-shooter games and in my opinion is still vastly superior to those that try to emulate it. Otherwise... as much as it pains me to say this since as a overall Valve fan.. I hate Dota due to the fact it's absorbed basically every other development team, but a rep from the Dota-series could very well be made to represent the MOBA-genre, though I gotta say I feel like LoL rep would fit that better but whatever.

That said, kinda confused as to why we're talking about a Valve-rep in the Porky thread, besides thinking/debating on if Nintendo may or may not go towards western IPs beyond Banjo and Kazooie.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I think if we do get any more western representation, it would most likely either be Tracer or something Undertale related

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
If all the characters in the DLC lineup are 3rd party, would you guys want Porky in as a Spirit through a update or not have him in the game at all? I would take Spirit Porky over no Porky at this point.
Porky could have been a fun Master Spirit I guess. Maybe “heavily armored style” (+offense, +defense, -jump, -speed) or even “spankety style” (-everything, essentially hard mode)
He means business
This is truly impressive. In fact, I wish Sakurai got a glimpse of it on Twitter or something - the proportions are about what I imagine would work in Smash.

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
This is truly impressive. In fact, I wish Sakurai got a glimpse of it on Twitter or something - the proportions are about what I imagine would work in Smash.
Ooh I didn’t think of that! Quick, someone show Sakurai’s Twitter haha

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

This would be a good intro for the trailer. The only other options I can think of off the top of my head are something like that leak a while back where it starts in the middle of EarthBound’s final battle, or they reuse the villains intro from K. Rool’s and Banjo’s trailer.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Dont know about you guys, but I’d like to think with his many years of exemplary service and consistently pristine quality games, I’d like to think that Nintendo would let Sakurai get a few courtesy picks just saying.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So there is a rumor that Reggie is going to announce fighter #5 at the VGA. I'm thinking if true, it could be Porky and the announcement of Mother 3 since fans have asked him for it for years and I feel he has always wanted to deliver it to us but couldn't. Now could finally be the time.

Since he is going to be there, this could happen especially if it's a localized Mother 3 announcement.

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I don’t usually take much notice of “leaks” and “theories” like this one but something about the S M A S H theory caught my attention.

H is the only letter not represented yet, but what if H was Hal Laboratory, a company that helped make Mother 3, a game where a certain chubster is the main antagonist.
What if...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don’t usually take much notice of “leaks” and “theories” like this one but something about the S M A S H theory caught my attention.

H is the only letter not represented yet, but what if H was Hal Laboratory, a company that helped make Mother 3, a game where a certain chubster is the main antagonist.
What if...
I don't buy into the H theory. But dear lord would I love it to be real because Porky's chances would skyrocket to the point that he's pretty much confirmed.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I think it was just a really big coincidence they all lined up like that but it would be really amazing if it did work out in Porky’s favour

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I’m not buying the S M A S H theory either. Just a pretty big coincidence I think. Though if the last few posts (VGA and H for Hal Laboratory) just so happen to take place, I’ll gladly be proven wrong.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Yeah the SMASH theory is really bad imo. Why is Joker represent "Atlus", but Banjo represent "Microsoft". It should be both Sega and Microsoft or both Atlus and Rare. It doesn't really makes sense.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Kind of unrelated but I entered my first ever Smash tourney the other day.
Porky isn’t in the game (yet) so Bowser will have to suffice for now

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
To get to that lovely Page 60, I'd like to bring up a topic I haven't seen discussed much in this thread.

If Porky did get in (hopes and prayers!), what type of character do you guys think he would be? Personally I could see him being a heavyweight (that mech's gotta be heavy) with pretty good range (using the mech legs like a spider would) and potential for lots of projectiles with his PSI powers. He'd probably have an above average recovery too although I'm not exactly sure what his Up-B could be.

Those are just my thoughts and I'd like to see what you guys think, I bet we can get really creative with our Porky speculation :D

Mr. Pacman

Smash Cadet
To get to that lovely Page 60, I'd like to bring up a topic I haven't seen discussed much in this thread.

If Porky did get in (hopes and prayers!), what type of character do you guys think he would be? Personally I could see him being a heavyweight (that mech's gotta be heavy) with pretty good range (using the mech legs like a spider would) and potential for lots of projectiles with his PSI powers. He'd probably have an above average recovery too although I'm not exactly sure what his Up-B could be.

Those are just my thoughts and I'd like to see what you guys think, I bet we can get really creative with our Porky speculation :D
His up-B can just be a giant leap kinda like king Dedede. But I had an idea that his double jump can let you float kinda like peach does. (In the brawl boss fight, Porky has been shown to be able to do this) Just like the boss fight you could be able to shoot a beam straight down kinda like Palutena's up smash shoots a beam straight up only Porky's would be a down air. But hey i'm sure the Smash team could probably come up with something better.
porky.JPG

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Personnally I think Porky should fight in his spider mech from Earthbound. I don't think that the psi moves are necessary because the mech itself have enough potential for a full moveset. And for the recovery, maybe he could teleport or escape his mech like Bowser jr. They could take a lot of liberty with him and I wouldn't mind honestly.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Basically bowser jr but being a heavyweight with some of the most vicious smash attacks around and having the best taunts around.

Bro Porky would never fight outside of a mech it’s a complete 180 of his character

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So then I guess I’m the only one here who would actually prefer him out of his mech?

Well I mean, as long as we get him, I suppose it’s all well and good. I’d rather have him than not. I just think scaling down the mech and having him in it would look a bit odd, and might be harder to make a believable moveset with. But I mean, Ridley happened so nothing’s impossible. Just for concept, I’ll throw this in here again. Something which would likely be close to what he could do if he were playable outside his mech.

https://m.imgur.com/a/yRRMP6t

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So then I guess I’m the only one here who would actually prefer him out of his mech?

Well I mean, as long as we get him, I suppose it’s all well and good. I’d rather have him than not. I just think scaling down the mech and having him in it would look a bit odd, and might be harder to make a believable moveset with. But I mean, Ridley happened so nothing’s impossible. Just for concept, I’ll throw this in here again. Something which would likely be close to what he could do if he were playable outside his mech.

https://m.imgur.com/a/yRRMP6t

I wouldn't mind having him outside of his mech, but honestly I've seen this moveset a lot of times and I'm not a big fan of it. Don't get me wrong there's a lot of good idea here and there, but a lot of things in the moveset just don't feel like Porky. For example, the way he's playing with Ness's yo-yo with so much confidence seems really off character. I don't think Porky outside of his mech should have that much confidence. I just hope that if he's out of his mech they will get perfectly his personality. They should make him so he look a bit childish, but he shouldn't look too weak at the same time.

Honestly I think overall it would be much simpler to get his personality right if he's inside his mech. This way, they could make him very powerful, and inside his mech he could stick his tongue out or laugh. For me the point of his characters his that he's supposed to be super weak without his mech and other technology, so having him fight outside of his mech would be kind of awkward.

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind having him outside of his mech, but honestly I've seen this moveset a lot of times and I'm not a big fan of it. Don't get me wrong there's a lot of good idea here and there, but a lot of things in the moveset just don't feel like Porky. For example, the way he's playing with Ness's yo-yo with so much confidence seems really off character. I don't think Porky outside of his mech should have that much confidence. I just hope that if he's out of his mech they will get perfectly his personality. They should make him so he look a bit childish, but he shouldn't look too weak at the same time.

Honestly I think overall it would be much simpler to get his personality right if he's inside his mech. This way, they could make him very powerful, and inside his mech he could stick his tongue out or laugh. For me the point of his characters his that he's supposed to be super weak without his mech and other technology, so having him fight outside of his mech would be kind of awkward.
yeah, because Porky is a coward. He never fought Ness/Lucas without some sort of backup. It would be 100% out of character for Porky to fight out of his mech. Also, he is not very fast/athletic. He may be smart, but he def isnt fast.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
yeah, because Porky is a coward. He never fought Ness/Lucas without some sort of backup. It would be 100% out of character for Porky to fight out of his mech. Also, he is not very fast/athletic. He may be smart, but he def isnt fast.
I think he would certainly be a fast runner if he had to flee.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Basically bowser jr but being a heavyweight with some of the most vicious smash attacks around and having the best taunts around.
Yup, I agree I think he would play like Bowser Jr but with a more in your face playstyle as opposed to being far away from people like Jr does.
I think he could possibly have PSI counter as a reflect too

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I wouldn’t mind him outside his mech, I’d still like him. It could still make sense if he feels confident that the equipment he has will make him powerful; maybe they could even end up making that spider backpack thing for him, or something like it. I think they could scale his mech down a bit to fit, though; it shouldn’t be much of a problem, the Mother 3 mech is already barely bigger than Bowser or Ridley and I can imagine the EarthBound mech being shrunk somewhat while still keeping basically the same design, with Porky himself still being Ness’s size.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Fair points, to each their own. Would still rather have him out of it, as I just think it would be easier to implement. Though either way, I’ll just be happy he’s in.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
I for one view his heavily armored spider mech from MOTHER 2 would his definite form to do battle in.
neutral b EYE LASER (a laser beam from the eye) like wolfs but stronger and slower, side b TEARS INTO YOU like marth/chrom and lucinas, up b teleportation (like when he first appeared in the devils machine), down b stinky gas basically poison I guess. What would you guys prefer

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
Also, im pretty sure he would have a voice or at least sound affects when he attacks. What do you guys think he would sound like?

Top Bottom