• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
I still don't think the last 2 slots are guaranteed to be 3rd party. Even if they are I guarantee they'll have a 2nd fighter pass anyway. What has this sold like 13.5 million units? They would be delusional to not capitalize on that.

Tyl0r

Smash Cadet
I mean banjo isnt bad, im actually super happy he is in. Its just the timing was perfect and did nothing, so idk. I guess only time will tell.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I mean banjo isnt bad, im actually super happy he is in. Its just the timing was perfect and did nothing, so idk. I guess only time will tell.
I mean, It's E3, is the biggest gaming event, if you had to reveal characters, what would you do, reveal 4 very popular main characters from Dragon Quest, the bear and the bird that every Smash fan have asked for it since Smash 64, or Porky?
The first 2 are gonna generate more hype for a more mainstream public.
Maybe they wanted to reveal Porky with a remake of an earthbound game but they didn't had it ready yet to show, or they are waiting for a more "Nintendo focus" streaming.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Guys don't worry. Remember when they said they have more games to announce this year? Well one of those games could be Mother 3 and Porky in Smash could help promote that.

So, I wasn't the only idiot that when the "Heroes VS Villains" was show again, thought "oh **** is porky, now is gonna appear Ness after this!"
I knew then and there it was Banjo & Kazooie because of DK's connection and history to Rare.

Kinda off topic but, this direct was really bad. Smash bros pretty much carried it like they did last year at e3. Don't get me wrong, Animal Crossing is pretty cool and I'm glad we got to see content on it but the rest was just Nintendo showing us games we've seen 1000x times already or third party. I wanna play Luigi's mansion and Pokemon, not get the entire game spoiled before I even try it. The lack of games being supplied by them is a huge problem. Don't even get me started on third party. This is supposed to be a Nintendo direct and yet there was more non Nintendo created games than actual 1st party games. They see how much we want Mother 3 and these other games like a new Fzero title and yet they just don't supply.
To be honest, I wouldn't have watched the Direct if there wasn't any Smash Bros. news.

They’re all going to be third parties
It's not over until Sakurai sings.

Well at least we tried it’s been a honor serving alongside you pigmasks
It's not over until all the DLC is out.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully these at one of these picks is a first party Nintendo character
C803FA08-D438-48CF-B54C-3096029598BF.jpeg

HOLD IT GUYS WE STILL HAVE UNTIL JULY 27th it’s the 30 anniversary of MOTHER 1 we still have that beacon of hope

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
I though about you guys during the reveal of BK. When the trailer started, I was like "wait, a Nintendo villain ?" and since Black Shadow already has a spirit, for a second I though Porky was coming. Then I saw the DK.

I feel sad because even though I'm not a huge Porky fan, I though about it, so I don't even imagine how you guys reacted

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for your condolences, they could cut have the beginning part out

Last edited:

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
They’re all going to be third parties
Probably, but it would be stupid of nintendo not to release more dlc fighters. So after the fighter pack is done and we still dont have Porky, he could still come as like an individual character separate from the DLC pack

funnaming

Smash Rookie
I feel toyed with, but I refuse to believe they will just leave him out of the game 100%. His exclusion is intentional. At any time, his spirit could just be added along with an update. He could be added as a boss. But I am confident that something is definitely happening with him no matter what.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I though about you guys during the reveal of BK. When the trailer started, I was like "wait, a Nintendo villain ?" and since Black Shadow already has a spirit, for a second I though Porky was coming. Then I saw the DK.

I feel sad because even though I'm not a huge Porky fan, I though about it, so I don't even imagine how you guys reacted
It's alright, I'm glad that it was such a big deal like Banjo and Kazooie the ones that tricked me, because I simply cannot be mad at them, they 100% deserve to be in Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, if we did get a Porky reveal, why would it star the DK characters?

The two Mother/EarthBound ones and some other RPG characters makes way more sense, imo.

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I don't really feel any different than I did a few days before E3. I don't see a reason for us to lose hope yet honestly. We still have a good bit more going for us than most of the support threads on here, and until I see Porky in Ultimate in some form (spirit, boss, whatever) I'm gonna remain slightly optimistic. I cannot get over how much of a tease that villains thing was though. I wonder why they showed that again at all? They should've just cut straight to the DK characters. Very unnecessary.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Honestly, if we did get a Porky reveal, why would it star the DK characters?

The two Mother/EarthBound ones and some other RPG characters makes way more sense, imo.
When they reuse the "Heroes vs Villains" from the K. Rool trailer is when people here thought it was another villain, and Porky.
But when DK appeared is when I knew it wasn't him, for a second I thought "Dixie?", and then the puzzle piece confirmed me it was Banjo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
When they reuse the "Heroes vs Villains" from the K. Rool trailer is when people here thought it was another villain, and Porky.
But when DK appeared is when I knew it wasn't him, for a second I thought "Dixie?", and then the puzzle piece confirmed me it was Banjo.
It wasn't a Hero VS Villain theme. The actual video is called "The Rivals". This is a major difference.

People misunderstood it because of K. Rool's de facto villain status. B&K's trailer even keeps it that way, with K. Rool hanging out in the treehouse, sleeping.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
It wasn't a Hero VS Villain theme. The actual video is called "The Rivals". This is a major difference.

People misunderstood it because of K. Rool's de facto villain status. B&K's trailer even keeps it that way, with K. Rool hanging out in the treehouse, sleeping.
I suppose that's true, but if the King of Evil and frequent destroyer of all of Hyrule is Link's "rival," I think Porky qualifies just fine as Ness or Lucas' rival in that context.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I suppose that's true, but if the King of Evil and frequent destroyer of all of Hyrule is Link's "rival," I think Porky qualifies just fine as Ness or Lucas' rival in that context.
Well, we didn't get a trailer for the King of Evil either. In fact, he never had a trailer.

I'd imagine Porky's Trailer is actually more violent akin to Ridley's, though not nearly as much. Darker, if you will.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Well, we didn't get a trailer for the King of Evil either. In fact, he never had a trailer.

I'd imagine Porky's Trailer is actually more violent akin to Ridley's, though not nearly as much. Darker, if you will.
True; I was only really referring to the little montage at the beginning of K. Rool's/Banjo's trailers. The villains/rivals there are all at pretty varying degrees of evil.

I agree though, the actual content of Porky's trailer would have to be pretty dark, considering how they handled him in Brawl.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman

Porky is Ness’s Rival my logic basically this: Mario = Bowser, DK = K.Rool, Link = Ganondorf, Samus = Ridley, Kirby = Meta Knight, Fox = Wolf, and I guess Pikachu = Mewtwo?. I meant personally if this Rival theme was 100% accurate We would had have Luigi’s rival King Boo and Yoshi would have had Kamek, there’s also the possibility of Deathborn of Fzero GX being included as he is not a Spirit.

And supposedly Spirits don’t deconfrim now I’m neutral on that topic all I’m saying if that were true how come one ain’t a fighter yet just saying

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Porky is Ness’s Rival my logic basically this: Mario = Bowser, DK = K.Rool, Link = Ganondorf, Samus = Ridley, Kirby = Meta Knight, Fox = Wolf, and I guess Pikachu = Mewtwo?. I meant personally if this Rival theme was 100% accurate We would had have Luigi’s rival King Boo and Yoshi would have had Kamek, there’s also the possibility of Deathborn of Fzero GX being included as he is not a Spirit
It really doesn't matter what logic you try to use here. King K. Rool is not called a Villain in the trailer. He's called a Rival. That's a hard fact.

Porky is not a rival at all to Ness in the story. DK is basically king of the jungle, and K. Rool is king of the Kremlings. They actually have a story where they try to one-up each other at times. They fit being rivals. It also fits the various media where they respect each other too. Never mind the actual trailer showed them facing off like rivals, in full out animal combat, but not in a violent way to defeat a villain. They were shown as equals.

Wolf and Meta Knight are canonically rivals as well. Mewtwo is unrelated to Pikachu in any games, and wasn't ever a true villain in the anime. Ganondorf is 100% evil(unlike K. Rool), so is Ridley. Bowser is fully evil in the regular games though has standards, but he's only a rival in the spin-offs.

So no, by that logic it's still a trailer of two Rivals facing off for dominance of their homelands. That's all it is. Not remotely comparable to the other situations.

It's not nor ever was an actual Hero VS Villain trailer. It was never meant to be that. Porky is a true villain without standards. That's who he is. He's not a remote rival. Your examples also are very over the place and make no sense. You're trying too hard and making some serious stretches here.

True; I was only really referring to the little montage at the beginning of K. Rool's/Banjo's trailers. The villains/rivals there are all at pretty varying degrees of evil.

I agree though, the actual content of Porky's trailer would have to be pretty dark, considering how they handled him in Brawl.
Yeah, it does kind of seem like it. But context showed otherwise.

It helps that K. Rool isn't nearly as evil in the general games as people make it sound. He feels more like King Dedede, only kind of evil. DK64 is the only game where he goes completely nuts at best, and that game is completely out there in the story, as it barely fits what the story is generally about.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
It really doesn't matter what logic you try to use here. King K. Rool is not called a Villain in the trailer. He's called a Rival. That's a hard fact.

Porky is not a rival at all to Ness in the story. DK is basically king of the jungle, and K. Rool is king of the Kremlings. They actually have a story where they try to one-up each other at times. They fit being rivals. It also fits the various media where they respect each other too. Never mind the actual trailer showed them facing off like rivals, in full out animal combat, but not in a violent way to defeat a villain. They were shown as equals.

Wolf and Meta Knight are canonically rivals as well. Mewtwo is unrelated to Pikachu in any games, and wasn't ever a true villain in the anime. Ganondorf is 100% evil(unlike K. Rool), so is Ridley. Bowser is fully evil in the regular games though has standards, but he's only a rival in the spin-offs.

So no, by that logic it's still a trailer of two Rivals facing off for dominance of their homelands. That's all it is. Not remotely comparable to the other situations.

It's not nor ever was an actual Hero VS Villain trailer. It was never meant to be that. Porky is a true villain without standards. That's who he is. He's not a remote rival. Your examples also are very over the place and make no sense. You're trying too hard and making some serious stretches here.

Yeah, it does kind of seem like it. But context showed otherwise.

It helps that K. Rool isn't nearly as evil in the general games as people make it sound. He feels more like King Dedede, only kind of evil. DK64 is the only game where he goes completely nuts at best, and that game is completely out there in the story, as it barely fits what the story is generally about.
He literally attempted to blow up a whole island dk64 wut?

Also after Onett in earthbound literally every encounter Ness and Porky had with each other led to Porky making ness’s journey more difficult then it had to be, Such as kidnapping Paula, stealing the helicopter in fourside and finally stealing the phase distorter that’s what a Rival does

And unlike K.rool, Porky knew he stood no chance against Ness in a one on one fight especially with his psi powers that’s just common sense, he only gained the courage to fight was after he had his spider mech and Giygas by his side

and another thing if Porky isn’t Ness it’s Giygas then? The one being on whom if Buzz buzz didn’t travel back in time let Ness be aware of his existence would have destroyed the whole universe? That’s his rival because earthbound only has two antagonists and I’d like to think the character who’s the protagonists foil to be a rival

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He literally attempted to blow up a whole island dk64 wut?
DK64 is the outlier. And he's somehow a massive giant. ...And yet he's portrayed as if he's from DKC only. Nothing to do with the 64 games. So it doesn't really prove anything for Smash.

We also see that DK and K. Rool treat each other just fine in the latest trailer.

They're presented fully as rivals in Smash, not some kind of Hero/Villain thing. Facts speak for themselves. There was no Hero VS Villain thing presented here. Maybe it could happen at some point, but it has yet to. There's 100% treated as Rivals in Smash at this point. What, do you think Porky is magically going to be treated as a Rival now? Cause that's the only way he'd have made remote sense for a trailer related to a completely different franchise, which wasn't even making an attempt to show a real Hero VS Villain. Both trailers had a very clear premise, a rival showing up to challenge someone. There wasn't a remote Hero VS Villain dynamic in that regard. Now, if you want one that actually had any relation to Heroes and Villains, you'd have the Hero trailer, which actually has that as an important mechanic. A Hero fighting against a bunch of corrupted characters(who are actually treated as villains for those who actually know the World of Light lore) and saved by another Hero.

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
DK64 is the outlier. And he's somehow a massive giant. ...And yet he's portrayed as if he's from DKC only. Nothing to do with the 64 games. So it doesn't really prove anything for Smash.

We also see that DK and K. Rool treat each other just fine in the latest trailer.

They're presented fully as rivals in Smash, not some kind of Hero/Villain thing. Facts speak for themselves. There was no Hero VS Villain thing presented here. Maybe it could happen at some point, but it has yet to. There's 100% treated as Rivals in Smash at this point. What, do you think Porky is magically going to be treated as a Rival now? Cause that's the only way he'd have made remote sense for a trailer related to a completely different franchise, which wasn't even making an attempt to show a real Hero VS Villain. Both trailers had a very clear premise, a rival showing up to challenge someone. There wasn't a remote Hero VS Villain dynamic in that regard. Now, if you want one that actually had any relation to Heroes and Villains, you'd have the Hero trailer, which actually has that as an important mechanic. A Hero fighting against a bunch of corrupted characters(who are actually treated as villains for those who actually know the World of Light lore) and saved by another Hero.
what do you mean "magically treated as a rival"? Have you played Earthbound? Him and ness were best friends and he ADORED Ness. Then when they both went on their own adventures, Porky began to try and oneup ness at every move. He was always trying to be better than him.

Then in mother 3 i dont see porky as a rival, he is a pure villain. What he wants to do is out of pure boredom. So what he does to Hinawa and Claus is terrible. Porky becomes a pretty bad person in Mother 3.

And what they were trying to say is that when that "rival" trailer was shown during the Banjo reveal, each character was fighting who they fought in their game. Link=Ganondorf, Samus=Ridley, etc. Porky is who Ness and Lucas fought in their games so this wouldve made perfect sense to show Ness and Lucas fighting Porky or whatever in that artstyle of the rest of the images.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Here is the literally definition of a rival The grim, volatile foe of the protagonist, who, through a series of inexplicable events up to and including attempted murder, gains grudging respect for said hero/heroine (and may even save them) going from intolerable ass to tolerable ass. Frequently a Foil for the hero, who's ultimately Not So Different. Often they show what the hero could have become if fate was just a little bit different.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
what do you mean "magically treated as a rival"? Have you played Earthbound? Him and ness were best friends and he ADORED Ness. Then when they both went on their own adventures, Porky began to try and oneup ness at every move. He was always trying to be better than him.

Then in mother 3 i dont see porky as a rival, he is a pure villain. What he wants to do is out of pure boredom. So what he does to Hinawa and Claus is terrible. Porky becomes a pretty bad person in Mother 3.

And what they were trying to say is that when that "rival" trailer was shown during the Banjo reveal, each character was fighting who they fought in their game. Link=Ganondorf, Samus=Ridley, etc. Porky is who Ness and Lucas fought in their games so this wouldve made perfect sense to show Ness and Lucas fighting Porky or whatever in that artstyle of the rest of the images.
Okay, I honestly forgot they were at one point rivals. I was solely thinking about his later villainous moments as his more defining traits. My bad.

Still makes no sense to use the DKC settings.

Regardless, that didn't remotely look like a setting Porky would've been in. Which is why I never once thought we'd got a direct villain or anything that wasn't somewhat related to DK. I already saw the rumors of BK, so I was sure it was the duo.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Between showing games, in less than 20 seconds:
"To celebrate the 30 anniversary, Earthbound Beginnings is coming to Nintendo Switch, now you can play this legendary game wherever you want, available now on the E-Shop".
That's it, that's how hard it would had been, a single lazy port and acknowledge it, make the script of talking between games a little shorter and fit it between announces.
Is one of the best seller games of the E-Shop on the Wii U and they have been porting almost everything from the Wii U to the Switch... but they didn't do it... not for Mother...
This just makes me sad...

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I honestly forgot they were at one point rivals. I was solely thinking about his later villainous moments as his more defining traits. My bad.

Still makes no sense to use the DKC settings.

Regardless, that didn't remotely look like a setting Porky would've been in. Which is why I never once thought we'd got a direct villain or anything that wasn't somewhat related to DK. I already saw the rumors of BK, so I was sure it was the duo.
Yeah, it was up until the point where they stopped at the DK setting I had a little hope.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Imagine if Porky was in a DK Smash Bros. trailer.

DK, Diddy, Banjo, and Kazooie are napping, then they hear a noise coming from outside. They go to the now-repaired window to see the jungle burning down as the noise gets louder and louder; Porky shows up with his mech along with K. Rool, and then knocks K. Rool off into the distance before proceeding to fight the crew as well as Ness and Lucas who show up to try and help save the day.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, it was up until the point where they stopped at the DK setting I had a little hope.
I was sure it was BK immediately.

The fake out with Duck Hunt was neat, though. I felt it was done even better than the fake out with King Dedede.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
"To celebrate the 30 anniversary, Earthbound Beginnings is coming to Nintendo Switch, now you can play this legendary game wherever you want, available now on the E-Shop".
That's it, that's how hard it would had been, a single lazy port and acknowledge it, make the script of talking between games a little shorter and fit it between announces.
Is one of the best seller games of the E-Shop on the Wii U and they have been porting almost everything from the Wii U to the Switch... but they didn't do it... not for Mother...
The 30th anniversary is next month if anything hopefully a direct will happen there

Last edited:

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
I would feel sad, but I feel like if they are gonna do anything with Mother/Porky then we'll get a decent amount of content all at once.
If we got Earthbound beginnings or Earthbound again that would sort of feel like "alright guys here are those other two games y'all like now p*ss off."

Probably just wishful thinking on my part though.

Last edited:

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
Heard there been talks about how there has been an companion with most of the dlc. Morgana with Joker, Slime with The Hero and Kazooie with Banjo.... Now this makes me think of something I have always wondered. Why is there a random Mr. Saturn being carried by Olimar's Pikmin on both the box and roster art?

Tyl0r

Smash Cadet
Heard there been talks about how there has been an companion with most of the dlc. Morgana with Joker, Slime with The Hero and Kazooie with Banjo.... Now this makes me think of something I have always wondered. Why is there a random Mr. Saturn being carried by Olimar's Pikmin on both the box and roster art?
You know i never noticed their art were in duos. It was confusing why it was in both the poster art AND the classic mode poster.

Mr. Pacman

Smash Cadet
I feel toyed with, but I refuse to believe they will just leave him out of the game 100%. His exclusion is intentional. At any time, his spirit could just be added along with an update. He could be added as a boss. But I am confident that something is definitely happening with him no matter what.
Exactly! The devs couldn't have just "forgot about him". Worst case scenario is that he actually was just forgotten. If Porky doesn't end up being a boss or playable, I at very least want him to be a spirit. I heard that the chibi link's awakening Link got a spirit so yeah, Porky could be added as one at any time. If he does ever become a fighter, just imagine how awesome that amiibo would look.

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
Exactly! The devs couldn't have just "forgot about him". Worst case scenario is that he actually was just forgotten. If Porky doesn't end up being a boss or playable, I at very least want him to be a spirit. I heard that the chibi link's awakening Link got a spirit so yeah, Porky could be added as one at any time. If he does ever become a fighter, just imagine how awesome that amiibo would look.
Porky will be added to Ultimate at some point, that is for certain. The only question is if it's just as a spirit or a character. It also doesn't seem like more bosses will be added, so these seem like the only two options. He was intentionally excluded for a reason.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I legit think he's just not a Spirit to avoid Mother 3 spoilers. Which is weird, because they could have just used his Eartbound incarnation, but hey, devs gonna dev.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Porky will be added to Ultimate at some point, that is for certain. The only question is if it's just as a spirit or a character. It also doesn't seem like more bosses will be added, so these seem like the only two options. He was intentionally excluded for a reason.
Tbh this boss dlc people have been talking about is imo is stupid as bosses are a base game thing

Top Bottom