• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd rather Ninten not be an echo fighter; PK Flash isn't even in his game, and he could use some unique stuffs exclusive to Mother 1, and potentially other stuffs that all three games have. As for his design, just change his face a bit (it already seems different from Ness's) and give him the bandana from the commercial or official novel, and maybe change his shirt to the one from the commercial or simply make it blue with one yellow stripe.

I want Ninten and Porky equally, though.
The thing is, if Ninten gets in, I'd rather him not be Ness's echo fighter and he can work perfectly fine without being one. Ninten has his own abilities and items from Mother that would make him stand out from Ness and Lucas. But at the same time, getting to fight in a giant ****ing mech would still be sick.
I would prefer for Ninten to be unique as well, but I was just saying it is the only way we could ever get both Ninten and Porky together in the roster.

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
The problem I see is that realistically, Mother would only get one more rep and in my opinion a mech fighter would bring more to the table than a third Ness.
I would love for Ninten to be unique but I would rather have a mech fighter that’s actually viable
*cries in Bowser Jr*

Last edited:

Turb0k

Smash Cadet
My biggest problem with Ninten is that he looks too similar to Ness NOT to be an Echo. Before people say that he could play differently, let me remind you that we all said the same thing about Dark Pit, Daisy, and Dark Samus, and yet here we are.

That's all I'm gonna say on the matter. (this is a Porky support thread after all. Not a Ninten bash thread)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My biggest problem with Ninten is that he looks too similar to Ness NOT to be an Echo. Before people say that he could play differently, let me remind you that we all said the same thing about Dark Pit, Daisy, and Dark Samus, and yet here we are.

That's all I'm gonna say on the matter. (this is a Porky support thread after all. Not a Ninten bash thread)
Keep in mind that it's even more simple than that. Ness' gameplay is meant to represent the tons of different PSI in the games, despite not using it himself. That's his mechanic. Lucas, as a semi-clone, does this too. Ninten shares the same build as Ness. He makes sense as an Echo, Clone, or Semi-Clone while using the same mechanic of representing the different abilities in Mother. Combined with being a Ness lookalike, he seems destined for an Echo status, and it'd fit the Mother series well. It's very doubtful he'd be heavily unique considering Lucas definitely wasn't. And Lucas is pretty different from Ness too.

That said, my bigger issue is Ninten not having a canon design that's different enough from Ness to help make them look different enough. Dark Pit even looks more different in comparison. It's literally a case of 8-bit VS 16-bit. Or basically comparing NES Link to SNES Link. They're so blatantly the same character design it's ridiculous. Not that he can't use the non-canon design from the commercials(in fact, was that design even owned by Nintendo? If so, there's a small chance it could be used), but that still depends on Mother's owning being okay with that. When they're known for being rather stingy, which is why Mother 3 was never localized yet. Same with why EarthBound took a long time to get on the VC alone. It had a lot of parody music that wasn't okay to use, so it was a licensing nightmare. Itoi(did I say that name right?) doesn't like the things being changed much at all. He's a stubborn man. For better or worse, it's better to expect Ninten's official canon design. Also, for the record, I'm just looking at issues that could prevent the character from getting in. He could easily be unique and as long as you can tell him apart from Ness, I'm fine with it. My biggest worry for Dark Pit was being impossible to tell apart from Pit while in Metal form. They fixed that by having a colored hue on all the Metals, updating their design so it's no longer an issue.

I do more prefer Porky myself, though. I'd love the mechs being used. We don't have a mech user either, so that helps.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Keep in mind that it's even more simple than that. Ness' gameplay is meant to represent the tons of different PSI in the games, despite not using it himself. That's his mechanic. Lucas, as a semi-clone, does this too. Ninten shares the same build as Ness. He makes sense as an Echo, Clone, or Semi-Clone while using the same mechanic of representing the different abilities in Mother. Combined with being a Ness lookalike, he seems destined for an Echo status, and it'd fit the Mother series well. It's very doubtful he'd be heavily unique considering Lucas definitely wasn't. And Lucas is pretty different from Ness too.

That said, my bigger issue is Ninten not having a canon design that's different enough from Ness to help make them look different enough. Dark Pit even looks more different in comparison. It's literally a case of 8-bit VS 16-bit. Or basically comparing NES Link to SNES Link. They're so blatantly the same character design it's ridiculous. Not that he can't use the non-canon design from the commercials(in fact, was that design even owned by Nintendo? If so, there's a small chance it could be used), but that still depends on Mother's owning being okay with that. When they're known for being rather stingy, which is why Mother 3 was never localized yet. Same with why EarthBound took a long time to get on the VC alone. It had a lot of parody music that wasn't okay to use, so it was a licensing nightmare. Itoi(did I say that name right?) doesn't like the things being changed much at all. He's a stubborn man. For better or worse, it's better to expect Ninten's official canon design. Also, for the record, I'm just looking at issues that could prevent the character from getting in. He could easily be unique and as long as you can tell him apart from Ness, I'm fine with it. My biggest worry for Dark Pit was being impossible to tell apart from Pit while in Metal form. They fixed that by having a colored hue on all the Metals, updating their design so it's no longer an issue.

I do more prefer Porky myself, though. I'd love the mechs being used. We don't have a mech user either, so that helps.
I mean there's always the possibility of this happening again:

It's not out of the question for Sakurai to redesign a character. Just wanted to bring up this possibility. But to be fair, he could've done this for the eventual revival of Kid Icarus.

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
Changing the current topic a bit here, but when i was younger and playing brawl i was terrified of Porky and his boss fight. I was REALLY bad at brawl at the time, and i had a high difficulty on for some reason, (my brother would help and he was much better than me) and i tried fighting Porky alone and couldnt beat him. For that reason I hated Porky. But then, only about two years ago, I finally learned about Earthbound/Mother and played all three games. Porky is now my second favorite video game character of all time. Man, how times change.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean there's always the possibility of this happening again:

It's not out of the question for Sakurai to redesign a character. Just wanted to bring up this possibility. But to be fair, he could've done this for the eventual revival of Kid Icarus.
That depends if Itoi is fine with it. He's super stingy. He might be willing to reuse the commercial design, as he approved of it in the first place(that's how much he cares about the IP), but anything else is probably better to think "lolno".

Anyway, has any good mods of Porky in Brawl/4 shown up? I'd like to see how well he could work in gameplay.

Turb0k

Smash Cadet
Speaking of mechs, what if they give Porky's mech a health bar, and when it depletes the mech explodes and Porky has to run around on foot until it recharges. Kind of like D.Va in the Overwatch games (all one of them)

TheBeastHimself

Speaking of mechs, what if they give Porky's mech a health bar, and when it depletes the mech explodes and Porky has to run around on foot until it recharges. Kind of like D.Va in the Overwatch games (all one of them)
I think that'd be a neat concept, and something that would truly make Porky stand out from the bunch. I don't know if it would be an issue to make two completely different movesets for one character but if Sakurai could pull that off, I think it'd be awesome and a new learning curve for players attempting to main him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So the Levin Sword without the sword? I'm up for that~

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They could even make the health bar look like the health bars from the Mother games, with the numbers that roll down.
Honestly, I want some kind of rhythm mechanic too. The fact Lucas doesn't have it to even the smallest degree is silly. Like, I get how hard it would be to use in a fighting game(as proven by DK's Final Smash, and it could be part of why we don't have a RH character yet), but having it just for a single move would be nice.

TheBeastHimself

Honestly, I want some kind of rhythm mechanic too. The fact Lucas doesn't have it to even the smallest degree is silly. Like, I get how hard it would be to use in a fighting game(as proven by DK's Final Smash, and it could be part of why we don't have a RH character yet), but having it just for a single move would be nice.
Yeah same. Swap out Lucas' down B with a rhythm attack.

Turb0k

Smash Cadet
I'm still upset that the game doesn't play a guitar riff every time Lucas hits with his Side Smash.

TheBeastHimself

I'm still upset that the game doesn't play a guitar riff every time Lucas hits with his Side Smash.
You just gave me a cool idea. Have a guitar riff for Lucas' side smash, and for Ness' side smash, have the words "SMAAAAAASH" displayed

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Not that he can't use the non-canon design from the commercials(in fact, was that design even owned by Nintendo?
I always thought his commercial design mixed with his official artwork design would be pretty fitting, although his in-game appearance, which is seen with a forward cap, could also differ him from Ness (although I don't see him with a forward cap, since Ness' sprite showed a similar thing and it was never a forward cap). I never really liked any Ninten fan designs, and why does the Mario hat design exist ew it sucks.
Ninten06.png Ninten01.png

Anyway, has any good mods of Porky in Brawl/4 shown up? I'd like to see how well he could work in gameplay.
You should totally check out Super Smash Bros. Crusade's Porky, although the moveset is really hit or miss: some references are pretty cool, but some moves are really uninspired. I'm also working on a Porky PSA along with Pigmask Colonel (who showed up a long time ago in this thread) and PseudoPsycho, and although we don't have much as of now, you can still check out what we have here!

I'd like to see this with his Mother 3 design! What if it worked somewhat similar to King K. Rool's golden belly? Certain moves could completely protect Porky, leaving the mech to receive all the damage, to the point it shuts down and Porky is left on the ground like when he falls off it during his Mother 3 fight, and so, leaving him in a dizzy state.

Recently someone released a mod for PM which gives Lucas' jab and grab pummel musical figures depending on how many times you hit him (but as said before, only for jab and pummel, sadly). Rythm could be a nice combo indicator for Lucas, it could make things more exciting as well.

Changing the current topic a bit here, but when i was younger and playing brawl i was terrified of Porky and his boss fight. I was REALLY bad at brawl at the time, and i had a high difficulty on for some reason, (my brother would help and he was much better than me) and i tried fighting Porky alone and couldnt beat him. For that reason I hated Porky. But then, only about two years ago, I finally learned about Earthbound/Mother and played all three games. Porky is now my second favorite video game character of all time. Man, how times change.
I feel ya man, when I was young I ABSOLUTELY HATED Porky, and I was repulsed by his theme, I didn't even like tunes like Winter's theme and now I absolutely love it all, I was also scared of Porky, and for some reason, the King P Statue even gave me nightmares at some point. Times do change my friend, it's beautiful to compare the present to the past, to some extend of course.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think Ninten could work with the different face & the different hat position, the blue shoes, and the commercial's outfit (or simply make his shirt blue with one yellow stripe or something, like Chara's shirt in Undertale). Even his Ness-like design would make him look different from Ness himself, though I can see how some people would be confused.

I wouldn't mind him being a semi-clone if he were to get in, though I'd prefer for him to use PK Beam (PK Flash doesn't exist in Mother 1) and 4th-D Slip at the very least.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Not sure what is this madness, watching right now:

EDIT: Didn't finish the video when I posted it, it contains... um... naked ness, it's censored but still...

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman

EDIT: Didn't finish the video when I posted it, it contains... um... naked ness, it's censored but still...
Wario is my favourite Mother character.

Why was there a naked Ness I didn’t need to see this why Japan why

TheBeastHimself

Japanese version of EarthBound features a naked Ness in Magicant I believe. I just know there's naked Ness sprites in that version in some part of the game.

Last edited:

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice

i have so many questions..

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
i thought the video was pretty funny, that segment where Lucas does "the naughty" tho o////o

same reason why Paula's dialogue has been changed in the western release
you gotta play the original version of Earthbound sometimes lol

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Japanese version of EarthBound features a naked Ness in Magicant I believe. I just know there's naked Ness sprites in that version in some part of the game.
Values Dissonance. Nudity is considered pure and innocent in Japan, but it's the exact opposite in America.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That actually sounds pretty nice.

I knew of him because of Eartbound. Since Mother 3 was never localized, Brawl was my first exposure to the new him. I wondered "This is what happens to bad time travel" and he does look fearsome for dictator who has his own city now. This would lead me to actually play Mother 3 to get more context.

Needless to say. He's a very great villain and wound up being more horrible than Giygas. I liked his fight and really learning the reasons behind his army's actions. He really is a character that has a big impact on the series than just Giygas (who is dead).

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
The reason on why Porky is my favorite villain in general was his absolute pettiness.
His campaign of fear and woe began all because of Ness refusing to forgive him for kidnapping Paula.
To which Porky responded by almost eradicating the entire cosmos by unleashing Giygas upon Ness and his friends.

Giygas might be evil in the sense of a existential threat beyond our comprehension, But Porky is the evil in ALL of us he’s us in our worst days which makes him imo more evil then all the villains currently in ultimate.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
The reason on why Porky is my favorite villain in general was his absolute pettiness.
His campaign of fear and woe began all because of Ness refusing to forgive him for kidnapping Paula.
To which Porky responded by almost eradicating the entire cosmos by unleashing Giygas upon Ness and his friends.

Giygas might be evil in the sense of a existential threat beyond our comprehension, But Porky is the evil in ALL of us he’s us in our worst days which makes him imo more evil then all the villains currently in ultimate.
Yup, I’m pretty sure Itoi said that Porky is meant to be the embodiment of humanity’s flaws.
I’d love another truly evil character in Smash aside from Ridley

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Yup, I’m pretty sure Itoi said that Porky is meant to be the embodiment of humanity’s flaws.
Same here.

Sure Porky subtler has moments of regret, but at the same time is one of Nintendo's most truly evil characters with few redeeming qualities.

That's what makes him good.

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
Who is more Evil, Ridley or Porky? Its two different kinds of evils, but its interesting.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Who is more Evil, Ridley or Porky? Its two different kinds of evils, but its interesting.
Ridley was never Human to be begin with he may not even understand the concepts of right and wrong, Porky on the other hand KNEW and STILL chose to do what he did.

Turb0k

Smash Cadet
Ridley was never Human to be begin with he may not even understand the concepts of right and wrong, Porky on the other hand KNEW and STILL chose to do what he did.
Ridley has Super Intelligence, is the military commander of the Space Pirates, and is a master in robotics. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing is evil. Ridley's probably more evil than Porky IMO.

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
The thing about Porky is that he doesn't seem to know what is right or wrong. This is shown even in the very beginnings of Earthbound when he is pounding on Ness' door in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT because Picky is gone. He woke up everyone in the house, and if my neighbor did that I'd be pretty pissed. This trait of his may be the root of him being evil. A few things include what he did to Claus, everything he did in Happy Happy Village, Fourside and Monotoli, invading Nowhere Islands and doing what he THOUGHT was right there (destroy everything).

I don't know too much about the Metroid series (I've always wanted to get really into it but just never have) and all I know is that he killed Samus' family or something like that. And based off what you guys are saying im guessing he is pretty damn evil. It seems like Ridley is aware of the harm he's causing, and Porky just causes trouble everywhere he goes. Porky is chaos at its finest.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Porky, evil? Maybe now, but I don't think he was at the start. Just annoying.

I thought he was originally a lonely and depressed kid (according to Itoi), and Giygas brought out all of his bottled up rage. In my opinion, I don't think Porky is pure evil. I think he's a kid that tried really hard to be friends with others to the point where he came off as annoying, trying to impress people and such (which we can see at the beginning of EarthBound: "I, Porky, will tell you about the meteorite in the morning..."). His tactics at making friends just pushed people away, and he didn't understand that. So he was probably frustrated about that, not understanding what he was doing wrong. And lo and behold, Giygas corrupted him by taking advantage of his weakened state and bringing out the worst in him. At least that's how I like to see it. And it just goes to show, even when Giygas isn't around (Mother 3), his influence can still be seen through Porky's corrupted state.

This also explains why Porky wanted to destroy humanity in the first place in M3, since nobody was giving him a chance to figure himself out without immediately categorizing him as an annoying brat. So no, I don't think Porky willing chose to become an evil mastermind. If so, why did he suddenly decide to become evil when Giygas came about? How does one go from a regular kid living a regular life, to "pure evil" without some sort of outside influence.? All of this can might also be a message to humanity by Itoi: if you push others away and don't make them feel welcome, or even human, they are going to lash out and become the worst versions of themselves.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Depends, we don't know how many civilizations Ridley and his space pirates have exterminated, and at the same time we don't know how many times Porky has travel to different universes and has killed or destroyed the world.
Ridley enjoys killing others, Porky does it for pure boredom.
I don't know, both are extremely cruel, I would say they are pretty close.

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
From what I can understand, Porky does what he does because he is unloved and want to get rid of those that "wronged" him. He is so far gone, that he forces people to love him and can't seem to make a real friend. While Ridley is... Well, he loves to make others suffer and watch them in pain. He Loves the carnage. From the manga he seems almost to love making Samus get anxious about their first "meeting". Ridley is a Sadist, while Porky just seem to be have become numb to things and want to belong.

To put it simple. Porky is in "pain" and Ridley wants others in Pain.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Where did you find this?! This could be a fake and photoshopped.
Gamefaqs and as I said before I don’t know that’s why I’m asking for clarity

Pls Almighty God if you let me have this I’ll be forever in your debt

Last edited:
Top Bottom