• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
So i found this interview with Sakurai where he explains how fighters are chosen. It's a bit old but i doubt that they have changed their ways.

"We also research games that are currently being developed. After that, it's pretty much up to us, with a touch of convenience."
So basically if Mother has something in the development right now, this will boost Porky's chances a good bit.

But he also states, "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen."
So if Mother doesnt have anything coming in the next year or so I don't think we will be getting Porky.

Heres the website if you wanna take a look: https://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-explains-how-characters-get-on-the-1644208199

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Uh I'd prefer a source on this please because I can't find anything, and the burden of proof is kinda on you.
No because from i remember the interview was done very long time ago, And im not doing all that work from I what remember it was its gameplay

WarioTheLegend

Smash Rookie
I have no idea if this is legit or not, but I saw it on Twitter.
It's not appearing in my game so it's probably fake, but if it is real then it might not be good for Porky's chances.

nevermind it's a fake uhhhhhhhhhhh pretend i don't exist have a nice day

Last edited:

Turb0k

Smash Cadet
It's not appearing in my game so it's probably fake, but if it is real then it might not be good for Porky's chances.

Imagine being so against Porky in Smash that you make a fake leak just to fool people into thinking he's deconfirmed...

This post was made by the Pigmask Army, which I am now joining.

Zeox

Smash Champion

That made me jump for a moment, then I realized it was just an edit of the actual Mario event.

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice

The scary thing is that could happen, even if it is fake.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Something that kinda scares me is the event spirits. Fire emblem got a spirit event and new spirits. Mario is next in line as it says that series will also get more spirits. This could happen with the Mother series.

Hoping in some weird twist we get more music.
I was looking at the sound selection the other day and I only had 12 mother songs..... and tbh... many of them sound kinda similar.

Mother 3 had many crazy-ass battle themes that would be amazing in Smash.... like "Cumbersome Guys" (super weird song but tbh would be amazing),, "Bothersome Guys", "Fate", and even "Tragic Reconstruction".

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
Hoping in some weird twist we get more music.
I was looking at the sound selection the other day and I only had 12 mother songs..... and tbh... many of them sound kinda similar.

Mother 3 had many crazy-*** battle themes that would be amazing in Smash.... like "Cumbersome Guys" (super weird song but tbh would be amazing),, "Bothersome Guys", "Fate", and even "Tragic Reconstruction".
I could acually see them giving us more music in the future outside the DLC

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice

man it looks real

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I mean personally I think the franchises with no future thing has changed and really was never valid in the first place? There's a reason why we have retro reps and I guess in a few more years we'll be calling GameCube games Retro like N64 ones are now.

this is actually just me in denial, because I've been wanting Chibi-robo regardless of how "dead" his series is.

Anyways, rumors of a January direct for the tenth are popping up, probably just that rumor we get every month of a direct just happening. I don't think anything Mother related will be shown though if it does happen, I think that's more of a March-April kind of thing for some reason, though I can see a direct happening since we need a formal announcement of Piranha Plant's release date alongside dates for Yoshi's Crafted World and FE Three Houses.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495

its fake, but it is quite scary the fact this is a dire possibility
(also the guy should've just used Ness/Lucas Final Smash backgrounds for this)
let's all hope Porky is exempt from this possibility at least

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice

I don't see why they would add such an important and iconic character of the Mother series but add Buzz Buzz instead. I think if he was going to be a spirit, he would've been released as a spirit in the original game.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Yup it’s fake. The creator of the image came forward to debunk it, so places like 4chan could stop using it to spread misinformation.
Porkster lives to see another day

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
The imgur album surely is out of date, so here's some recent progress:
View attachment 183842View attachment 183843
View attachment 183845
(The Brawl recolor was changed to the green team, by changing the mech, so now it's more of a reference to Jeff. The Brawl mech is planned to be used for the business suit alt costume)View attachment 183846
A new wait animation!
Here's some progress on moves, no animations for any of these yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31fGagmq12Y&feature=youtu.be
https://youtu.be/ax1OH2KHJWw

I also wonder why no one has made an Earthbound Porky render yet, not even a model for the mech, which is quite sad, if not we'd have probably used the Earthbound mech for the moveset, I would have even been pleased to. The project is slowly progressing, and I'm a bit low on recolor ideas.
Btw, I just wanted to know if this was being used for any unique mod packs or anything. Mostly because I think it'd be a cool addition to that Remix Brawl mod whose roster is currently this:

IMG_9564.jpg

Has everyone from Brawl and adds:

Mewtwo
Roy
Waluigi
Young Link
Metal Sonic
Lucina (who is based off of Project M, actually having a moveset different from Marth)
Dr. Mario
Pichu
Knuckles
Phantom Ganon
Geno
Shadow
Issac
Lyn
Black Shadow
Cloud
Shulk
Robin
Louie
Alph
Dark Samus
Dark Pit (Uses Smash 4 moveset, making him unique)
Ryu
Ridley
Metal Face
Knuckle Joe
Chrom
Daisy
Big Boss
Masked Man
Last but not least, Black Knight

So basically almost as much characters as Ultimate, just missing three and since even Metal Face is apart of the mod pack (that's in beta and they're apparently still planning on adding more characters) and Klaus/Masked Man is there I just thought Porky would fit in if it wasn't decided Porky would be exclusive to said mod pack already.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Btw, I just wanted to know if this was being used for any unique mod packs or anything. Mostly because I think it'd be a cool addition to that Remix Brawl mod whose roster is currently this:

View attachment 185333

Mewtwo
Roy
Waluigi
Young Link
Metal Sonic
Lucina (who is based off of Project M, actually having a moveset different from Marth)
Dr. Mario
Pichu
Knuckles
Phantom Ganon
Geno
Shadow
Issac
Lyn
Black Shadow
Cloud
Shulk
Robin
Louie
Alph
Dark Samus
Ryu
Ridley
Metal Face
Knuckle Joe
Chrom
Daisy
Big Boss
Masked Man

So basically almost as much characters as Ultimate, just missing three and since even Metal Face is apart of the mod pack (that's in beta and they're apparently still planning on adding more characters) and Klaus/Masked Man is there I just thought Porky would fit in if it wasn't decided Porky would be exclusive to said mod pack already.
Out of context but I love that modpack tbh and I'm as well helping out with upgrading Louie, working on a new model and helped with ideas for the current moveset (I don't remember if Bulbmin and Puffmin was added in Louie's last updated, because Remix still has the old Louie model).

Porky won't be exclusive to any modpack, we're making it for Brawl: probably we'll later port it to PM, but we don't have plans for that yet. All I can say is that one of Remix's devs was once working on a Porky PSA but abandoned it right before doing anything apart from porting Porky's boss model and animations over another character, so maybe he'll be interested on it and add it once it's done, but I can't promise anything about it, after all, I'm not in hold of project itself.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Out of context but I love that modpack tbh and I'm as well helping out with upgrading Louie, working on a new model and helped with ideas for the current moveset (I don't remember if Bulbmin and Puffmin was added in Louie's last updated, because Remix still has the old Louie model).

Porky won't be exclusive to any modpack, we're making it for Brawl: probably we'll later port it to PM, but we don't have plans for that yet. All I can say is that one of Remix's devs was once working on a Porky PSA but abandoned it right before doing anything apart from porting Porky's boss model and animations over another character, so maybe he'll be interested on it and add it once it's done, but I can't promise anything about it, after all, I'm not in hold of project itself.
Personally I've only seen gameplay videos, was trying to get it to run earlier today but dolphin kept crashing as I was trying to boot the .elf file, already asked in the support channel in the discord server though so hopefully someone knows what's wrong and can help. From what I was told Louie is actually Olimar's Echo Fighter in the modpack and Alph was being made to be the more unique one out of the Pikmin characters, of course that could've just been that specific version and not future ones, though I did also see discussion of Dark Samus being cut due to her neutral b freezing the game for some reason (Personally I would recommend just maybe Luigi-ifying Dark Samus where her neutral be is more like that instant spread shot barrage of phazon from her boss fights in Prime 3 but... I'm no modder or anything so I don't know how any of that works... though I will admit I'm interested in it as there are a few character PSAs I would like to personally see become a reality since some I'm heavily surprised there hasn't been an attempt at like Dr. Eggman but I've only taken python classes in my second year of high school, and since I'm in my junior year... haven't learned anything further... though I did take a unity coding class in the summer of 2016 but I'm not sure that would help in any Brawl modding stuff).

At least it's good to know Porky won't be exclusive to a singular modpack or anything like Metal Face is, though I do hope once Porky is finished maybe they'll ask you guys about it since I think he'd make a pretty neat addition to that modpack along as being a fourth mother rep in it.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Yup it’s fake. The creator of the image came forward to debunk it, so places like 4chan could stop using it to spread misinformation.
Porkster lives to see another day
they spread misinfo all the time
/v/ is a house of lies where 1% of the time a truth is posted there

View attachment 185333

Mewtwo
Roy
Waluigi
Young Link
Metal Sonic
Dr. Mario
Pichu
Knuckles
Phantom Ganon
Geno
Shadow
Issac
Lyn
Black Shadow
Cloud
Shulk
Robin
Louie
Alph
Dark Samus
Ryu
Ridley
Metal Face
Knuckle Joe
Chrom
Daisy
Big Boss
Masked Man

yo, where's the Hector PSA?

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Seems like /v/ is paying attention to this "leaker" guy but I have no idea who he is and if we should trust him;

s.PNG

Link: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...-new-year-new-mii.90098/page-14#post-16501242

Basically saying that, in the switch there will be a trilogy to be released and a 2D game, since this year is Mother's 30 anniversary, a trilogy release wouldn't be too crazy to imagine.
Of course and I repeat, I don't know who this guy is so, it may be nothing, but I still bring the news.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Seems like /v/ is paying attention to this "leaker" guy but I have no idea who he is and if we should trust him;

View attachment 185370
Link: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...-new-year-new-mii.90098/page-14#post-16501242

Basically saying that, in the switch there will be a trilogy to be released and a 2D game, since this year is Mother's 30 anniversary, a trilogy release wouldn't be too crazy to imagine.
Of course and I repeat, I don't know who this guy is so, it may be nothing, but I still bring the news.
oh hey, ain't that the guy saying the September Direct will contain some "animals" and such?
there's also a rumor a direct is coming on the 10th

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 185370

He could be talking about Metroid Prime Trilogy and a new 2D Metroid, just saying, sorry.

Zeox

Smash Champion
He could be talking about Metroid Prime Trilogy and a new 2D Metroid, just saying, sorry.
Of course, I never said it was Earthbound, just that it could be.
But I doubt is Metroid Prime Trilogy, if they do that people would replay it and be too tired of Prime games for when Prime 4 is released, not only that but they would be their own competitors, some people would rather pay for 3 games in 1 than for a Prime 4.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Next summer is literally the best time they release Mother 3 and unveil Porky if not well... it’ll be nice to have closure

[EDIT] Another day another leak looks like Porky’s not in it...

Last edited:

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 185370

hm. i wouldnt take this guys word for it until i learn more abt him/her

however a mother or metroid prime trilogy re-release seems pretty likely this year.

Last edited:

Erfly

Smash Cadet
Little bit offtopic but I finally binged through the whole of Earthbound and man, I really liked it!

Really gives me a lot more context to Porky's character, and man it just makes me want more mother stuff in smash now hehe.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Little bit offtopic but I finally binged through the whole of Earthbound and man, I really liked it!

Really gives me a lot more context to Porky's character, and man it just makes me want more mother stuff in smash now hehe.
If you didn't do it, you should totally play and finish Mother 3 now.
And if you did it, you should also play it again.
And if you also already did that, there is nothing to do, you did it all, you won, congratulations.

Last edited:

Erfly

Smash Cadet
If you didn't do it, you should totally play and finish Mother 3 now.
And if you did it, you should also play it again.
And if you also already did that, there is nothing to do, you did it all, you won, congratulations.
Hehe, I've kinda been going through the games in a backwards order, and started with Mother 3 a while back, just hadn't really gotten around to Earthbound until now.

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
One thing i've noticed about porky, is that he is so much more of a strong dlc choice than characters people wouldn't stop talking about (Geno, Banjo etc.) Yet in all dlc lists that are based on how likely a character is, porky isnt on any of them. PapaGenos is the only channel that is fairly big talk about Porky. Is he just not popular among Youtubers?

(No hate on Geno/Banjo it would be awesome if they got in)

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
One thing i've noticed about porky, is that he is so much more of a strong dlc choice than characters people wouldn't stop talking about (Geno, Banjo etc.) Yet in all dlc lists that are based on how likely a character is, porky isnt on any of them. PapaGenos is the only channel that is fairly big talk about Porky. Is he just not popular among Youtubers?

I have noticed this too. Even when I mentioned to others that I predict Porky, I get told that its not gonna happen and such. Even if it doesn't, the way his "spirit" is handle just feels really wrong and confusing.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman

I feel like this is because a lot of the bigger youtubers don’t know Porky (or the Mother series for that matter) all that well so they don’t really have much to say aside from “he looks cool but probably won’t happen”, whereas Geno and Banjo usually resonate with a few of them because of nostalgia reasons.
But that doesn’t discourage me; as I have seen a lot of smaller places have a fairly large outcry for Porky
EDIT: I got bored and made a thing that took like a minute to make

Attachments

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I’m new here, but when people say they want Porky in, do they mean Porky himself, or him in that giant leg container thing? If its the later, how exactly would that work and why do you guys want that?

I want to stress greatly that I am not here to attack the idea or his supporters, I’m just an outsider of this support thread that has seen his name thrown around is curious as to what would make him a good pick. Any answers appreciated!

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Listen imo I find really I find it hilarious that Geno a character who only appeared once in a non official Nintendo made game has more awareness then Porky lol

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
I’m new here, but when people say they want Porky in, do they mean Porky himself, or him in that giant leg container thing? If its the later, how exactly would that work and why do you guys want that?

I want to stress greatly that I am not here to attack the idea or his supporters, I’m just an outsider of this support thread that has seen his name thrown around is curious as to what would make him a good pick. Any answers appreciated!

So theres his Mother 3 mech, the one used in brawl. That mech was scaled up in size a ton to fit the boss fight. This is the mech's original size from mother 3. People have made his moveset for his bed mech earlier in this thread if you snoop around a bit, but he would definitely be a heavyweight.

Then theres his Earthbound mech, or Heavily Armored Porky. In my opinion, he would be around the size of bowser but heavier. His attacks would be him smashing his mech into other people, hitting them with the legs, and maybe include a few of the bed mechs abilities, since it has a higher variety of abilities.

As for porky himself, he can't really do much. Without his mech he's a coward in earthbound, and in Mother 3 he is basically on life support, so he would be hopeless without his mech.
Hope i gave you some idea of how Porky is and how he would work!

Attachments

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
just got the ASC spirit
holy frick, that trade for attack for MAX Defense
i'm gonna face a Bowser Jr. opponent to see how hectic the spirit stats are in action
So i found this interview with Sakurai where he explains how fighters are chosen. It's a bit old but i doubt that they have changed their ways.

"We also research games that are currently being developed. After that, it's pretty much up to us, with a touch of convenience."
So basically if Mother has something in the development right now, this will boost Porky's chances a good bit.

But he also states, "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen."
So if Mother doesnt have anything coming in the next year or so I don't think we will be getting Porky.

Heres the website if you wanna take a look: https://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-explains-how-characters-get-on-the-1644208199
that Kotaku interview was mistranslated
take a look at this one by PushDustIn PushDustIn 's SourceGaming
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/0...tions-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-461-464/#[2]

"Characters and series that have no plans for future releases, or a low possibility of future releases, inevitably will be considered lower priority."
regardless, that still doesn't change how the lack of recent developments can make a veteran or contender low priority for the next game or season of DLC.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion

There are a lot of images and concepts for how a playable Porky would work, he can't be just himself because:
1. In the games, he never fights for himself, in the 2 fights against him he always uses robotic spiders
2. He is just a normal kid, Ness and Lucas have PSI powers but Porky have nothing of that

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman

As a fighter, I think he would be an interesting villainous addition to the cast. I imagine him playing similarly to Bowser Jr but with a twist, instead of just hiding behind walls of projectiles, he could be a bit more “in your face” and more punish heavy. Another user posted before me, but he could have his EarthBound battle mech as in theory it would be easier to bring into Smash, and allows Porky himself to be much more expressive. While his Mother 3 mech is cool too, he would be less expressive and just kinda sit there for the most part, but he does have a model from SSE already so they could tweak it and easily bring him in.

But as a character, (disclaimer: heavy bias incoming) I think Porky truly adds something special to the roster.
He’s more than just another villain character to help contrast the heroes, lore wise he’s quite different to the other villains/rivals.
Bowser and Dedede are“bad” but still look quite silly and have done enough good to balance them out, Ganondorf is an evil force incarnate and was created as a dark energy, and Ridley was presumably always sadistic and bloodthirsty as part of his space monster nature, whereas Porky didn’t begin as an evil character. He started out as more of a nuisance than anything but as his story progressed, he descended into something much worse, and did so in a more relatable and tragic way to the other villains

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the double post, but I also wanted to share this incredible art piece again.
It always makes me smile seeing it make the rounds all these years later.

Here’s a fun fact: I was the person that commissioned for it all those years ago.
I wanted to have someone draw a Smash 4 style newcomer poster for our main man Porky

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom