• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
But he was in his mecha spider in Smash 4 in both his trophy and his smash tour item.
Heck, even if the absolutely safe capsule was supposed to be Porky, it will be called "Porky (Absolutely Safe Capsule)" like other spirits.
If we REALLY think about it, although it may hurt, the Absolutely Safe Capsule was Porky's last appearance as a sprite, after he's in the Capsule we only see his normal sprite in the credits which doesn't really count, so the ASC could be Porky's representation as a spirit, although disappointing... Could still mean nothing tho, but just know that Porky is the only one that sealed himself in there. Just because it isn't specified, the Absolutely Safe Capsule isn't seen until Porky is in it.

I saw some images of something looking like a Project M mod for Porky, what is that?
That's a project I'm helping out with along with SemiPsycho and Pigmask Colonel who also casually posted here a while ago. We are in very early phases but we got a new optimal model, and soon enough animations will start. I have an imgur album where I casually post progress, or we also have a Discord just to talk, and very rarely, share progress too.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It seems kind of suspect to have Porky's theme for sure be in the game but not appear as a spirit. While I don't know if it is a guaranteed thing, I wish you guys the best of luck going forward. I think he would be kind of cool.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Or you can have Porky not appearing at all like in the 3DS version.
Actually he was in the 3DS Version, represented with his statue:

the ASC could be Porky's representation as a spirit, although disappointing...
Again, look at the list of spirits, when it represents a character in a different form or way, it usually have his name and then "( )".
Some examples:
Waluigi (Super Mario Strikers)
Petey Piranha (Super Mario Strikers)
Dracula (2nd Form)
Tornadus (Incarnate Forme)

These are their official names of some spirits, if that was Porky's representation, it would be called "Porky (Absolutely Safe Capsule)".

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Actually he was in the 3DS Version, represented with his statue:
Smash wiki would've said Porky appeared in the 3ds version but they don't. Porky is only briefly mentioned in that trophy similar to how Lip is briefly mentioned in the Lip's Stick trophy in Melee. It may be a reference to the character Porky, but it doesn't mean he appeared in the game, its like how Lip isn't labelled as appearing in Melee onwards in the games she was referenced in. (Item and Garbage Block)

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Smash wiki would've said Porky appeared in the 3ds version but they don't. It may be a reference to the character Porky, but it doesn't mean he appeared in the game, its like how Lip isn't labelled as appearing in Melee onwards in the games she was referenced in. Porky is only briefly mentioned in the trophy similar to how Lip is briefly mentioned in the Lip's Stick trophy in Melee.
"briefly mentioned"? the trophy have his name, it talks about how he grew up in the same town as Ness, how he got a statue build in his honor but also is a very tough enemy.
That's an actual representation, in fact that detail of having Porky's mech in one version and Porky statue in the other just to represent him in both games is a nice touch, Sakurai wanted to have him represented in both games, which is pretty interesting.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It seems kind of suspect to have Porky's theme for sure be in the game but not appear as a spirit. While I don't know if it is a guaranteed thing, I wish you guys the best of luck going forward. I think he would be kind of cool.
His theme is probably because of new pork city

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
"briefly mentioned"? the trophy have his name, it talks about how he grew up in the same town as Ness, how he got a statue build in his honor but also is a very tough enemy.
That's an actual representation, in fact that detail of having Porky's mech in one version and Porky statue in the other just to represent him in both games is a nice touch, Sakurai wanted to have him represented in both games, which is pretty interesting.
From what I see in Melee, 3DS, Brawl/Wii U and Ultimate, they all represent Porky in different ways, the first one is a helicopter, then a Statue, then the boss in Brawl and finally the Absolutely Safe Capsule.
All of these references represents the different eras of Pokry from when he started an where he ended up by the end of the series.
With the ASC is symbolic of his end in the Mother Series.
Ultimate almost represent all of these references/appears for Porky in the series simultaneously. All we need is his the character and Mech himself.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
From what I see in Melee, 3DS, Brawl/Wii U and Ultimate, they all represent Porky in different ways, the first one is a helicopter, then a Statue, then the boss in Brawl and finally the Absolutely Safe Capsule.
All of these references represents the different eras of Pokry from when he started an where he ended up by the end of the series.
With the ASC is symbolic of his end in the Mother Series.
But that's not true.
First is a cameo, then he is 2 bosses, then he is 2 trophies of the same bosses, now he is a cameo again and a machine he uses appears as a spirit.
And I repeat myself for fifth time, if ASC is supposed to represent Porky, the spirit will be called "Porky (Absolutely Safe Capsule", here's the list of spirits, notice that characters that have weird forms usually have their name + the "( )":
https://pastebin.com/NCi8Af0N
Some examples:
Mario (Wedding)
Zero (Zero Buster)
Hoopa (Confined)
Zygarde (50% Forme)
Meloetta (Aria Forme)
5-Volt (Angry)

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I love to see Porky Im a big Mother Fan. More villains is necessary. Porky do have the same importance like K Rool and Ridley it make sense he's DLC. Add me in the support list. Plus there so much Mother love in Ultimate may not mean nothing but still something to think about it.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
But that's not true.
First is a cameo, then he is 2 bosses, then he is 2 trophies of the same bosses, now he is a cameo again and a machine he uses appears as a spirit.
And I repeat myself for fifth time, if ASC is supposed to represent Porky, the spirit will be called "Porky (Absolutely Safe Capsule", here's the list of spirits, notice that characters that have weird forms usually have their name + the "( )":
https://pastebin.com/NCi8Af0N
Some examples:
Mario (Wedding)
Zero (Zero Buster)
Hoopa (Confined)
Zygarde (50% Forme)
Meloetta (Aria Forme)
5-Volt (Angry)
The Porky statue is not encountered in Boss battles, especially when it doesn't even have a health bar and your supposed to run away from the statue.
The Absolutely Safe Capsule didn't even label Porky anywhere within its enemy name when encountered in Mother 3, its simply called "Absolutely Safe Capsule".
I already know about the naming of the Spirit, but we know its something that Porky directly interacted with hence its associated with the character in some way but it doesn't imply that Porky is inside the Absolutely Safe Capsule. Its only associated with Porky in a Story/Historical perspective of the character.
If your saying that associating the Spirit with Porky himself means he a Spirit in the game its not what I meant at all. I know about the situation where not all Spirits are not named after source characters, I posted it on the Graveyard thread when in question about Spirits.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
The Porky statue is not encountered in Boss battles, especially when it doesn't even have a health bar and your supposed to run away from the statue.
The Absolutely Safe Capsule didn't even label Porky anywhere within its enemy name when encountered in Mother 3, its simply called "Absolutely Safe Capsule".
I already know about the naming of the Spirit, but we know its something that Porky directly interacted with hence its associated with the character in some way but it doesn't imply that Porky is inside the Absolutely Safe Capsule. Its only associated with Porky in a Story/Historical perspective of the character.
If your saying that associating the Spirit with Porky himself means he a Spirit in the game its not what I meant at all. I know about the situation where not all Spirits are not named after source characters/
There is a spirit of the Gravity suit for Samus, that suit has always been associated with Samus and you only see the suit when she is inside, yet that spirit doesn't represent Samus because she is her own spirit and the spirits from fighters are separated from the regular spirits.
Same with the Halberd (the ship of Metaknight), same with other spirits, only because is associated doesn't means that spirit represent that character.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I think this is possibly a reason why Porky was a boss in Brawl but I didn't see any poll suggestions/requests for him:
https://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/
There was Lucas (2), Claus (2) and Kumatora from the 3rd game requested. Guess this gave Lucas 5 and why he was playable.
Jeff (2), Paula and Poo from the 2nd game. 4 combined from the 2nd game was enough for Jeff to qualify to be an assist trophy.
Ninten from the first game.
I guess the amount of Mother requests in Brawl made Porky qualify enough to be a boss in the game. Which all combined from the series is 10. It can also explain why there was a lot of representation for the Mother series in Brawl, and has continued to get more new content over the years.

Still, I have yet to see any Japanese requests for Porky even in recent years, so if you find any please provide me one. We'll know if there is people who want him to be playable in Ultimate from Japan or if he's popular at all there.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I think this is possibly a reason why Porky was a boss in Brawl but I didn't see any poll suggestions/requests for him:
https://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/
There was Lucas (2), Claus (2) and Kumatora from the 3rd game requested. Guess this gave Lucas 5 and why he was playable.
Jeff (2), Paula and Poo from the 2nd game. 4 combined from the 2nd game was enough for Jeff to qualify to be an assist trophy.
Ninten from the first game.
I guess the amount of Mother requests in Brawl made Porky qualify enough to be a boss in the game. Which all combined from the series is 10. It can also explain why there was a lot of representation for the Mother series in Brawl, and has continued to get more new content over the years.

Still, I have yet to see any Japanese requests for Porky even in recent years, so if you find any please provide me one. We'll know if there is people who want him to be playable in Ultimate from Japan or if he's popular at all there.
That was 12 years ago, that data is extremely outdated.
And why are you even using polls when characters that were always at the top got nothing like Geno, Ashley, Banjo, Shadow, Bandana Dee, Isaac, Waluigi... they all got nothing, yet a Piranha Plant got a character slot.
If you don't see Porky making it that's fine, he may not even be in, but that doesn't means he have no chance, specially since even buzz buzz and ness's dad have a spirit yet the guy that have his stage and theme in the game got nothing.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
That was 12 years ago, that data is extremely outdated.
And why are you even using polls when characters that were always at the top got nothing like Geno, Ashley, Banjo, Shadow, Bandana Dee, Isaac, Waluigi... they all got nothing, yet a Piranha Plant got a character slot.
If you don't see Porky making it that's fine, he may not even be in, but that doesn't means he have no chance, specially since even buzz buzz and ness's dad have a spirit yet the guy that have his stage and theme in the game got nothing.
I was looking into why he was able to be a boss in Brawl. I know its obviously outdated, lol.

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
i just made this account to put this message here. As of now, Porky hasn't been seen at ALL in smash ultimate yet. He isn't a boss or a spirit. (Well there is the Absolutely Safe Capsule but it doesnt show Porky). The fact that he isn't a boss is huge and boosts his chances a ton.

EDIT: Also he has been a huge part of smash for a good while. He has had tons of assist trophies, been a boss, and has a whole stage based on him.

EDIT (again): the bosses were leaked and porky isnt on there. thats how i know that.

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn’t be it be crazy if Porky was a secret boss in the new world of light mode. Btw cmon guys quit being so pessimistic have faith in our king

Off topic Gamefaqs really pisses me off when it comes to it’s Porky threads.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn’t be it be crazy if Porky was a secret boss in the new world of light mode. Btw cmon guys quit being so pessimistic have faith in our king

Off topic Gamefaqs really pisses me off when it comes to it’s Porky threads.
Many series that doesn't have a new game in recent years always gets the pessimistic treatment, especially when the version of Porky used in Brawl is somewhat a large margin of Spoilers for Mother 3. Especially when Mother is a dead series, most content from Mother is reused and revamped from previous games especially except for a few remixes, Paula, Poo, and Kumatora in the final smash, Spirits and an item.

But if Porky doesn't appear at all, not even as DLC and a few references but not the character himself, I think its pretty tragic for one of the most important character in the Mother series to be honest.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Add me to the list too, I'm all for him getting in and it'd be nice to see the core fighters all get their rivals in the game.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
YYYYYYYAAAAAAASSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I can’t find the specific poll it’s in Japanese. BUT HEY I MEAN WITH WHATS BEING FOUND OUT RECENTLY OUR CHUBBYBOI GOT IN
try looking in your web history?
don't give up

somebody help out

Erfly

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna remain cautious, it'd be FANTASTIC if our boy got in, but don't let yourself get burned if it's really just Porky getting nothing.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna remain cautious, it'd be FANTASTIC if our boy got in, but don't let yourself get burned if it's really just Porky getting nothing.
To me it just doesn’t make sense if we’re in the world where Sakurai blatantly ignored putting Porky in in any way. Spirits is a way of having your favorite fighters in within some capacity, it’s why we have spirits like Shantae, Shovel Knight, Bullet Bill, Happy Mask Salesman, etc etc. Sakurai put in the Absolute Safe Capsule but not the man that was inside of that same capsule? The guy who was the most important antagonist in the series?

It just would be so weird to me why he would ignore him specifically, but be faithful to every other series (barring maybe Sylux from Metroid, but that’s kinda in the same boat of speculation Porkys in now)

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Mother: July 27, 1989

I'll be damned that makes a little sense. As a Mother fan I'm expecting nothing but still.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Many series that doesn't have a new game in recent years always gets the pessimistic treatment, especially when the version of Porky used in Brawl is somewhat a large margin of Spoilers for Mother 3. Especially when Mother is a dead series, most content from Mother is reused and revamped from previous games especially except for a few remixes, Paula, Poo, and Kumatora in the final smash, Spirits and an item.

But if Porky doesn't appear at all, not even as DLC and a few references but not the character himself, I think its pretty tragic for one of the most important character in the Mother series to be honest.
Oh yeah as if ROB and G&W and even the Ice climbers are relevant these days/Sh oh and duck hunt they’re getting new games...right?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While I'm on the side of spirits not deconfirming, I do say the absence of a important character like Porky is rather odd, just like how Sylux is completely absent. Then while they could be added after the day 1 patch I highly doubt that's going to be the case.

You can say I support even though I'm not a huge mother fan, Porky just did seem like the easiest SSE boss to make into a character before Ridley got added to me.

Though I will say it seems like being a boss isn't exactly a death sentence seeming as there is data for a /playable/ Master Hand.
Oh yeah, you can add me to the supporter's list too, I'm not sure why I haven't declared myself a supporter in here earlier as he's been one of my most wanted since the start of this game's speculation cycle.
I love to see Porky Im a big Mother Fan. More villains is necessary. Porky do have the same importance like K Rool and Ridley it make sense he's DLC. Add me in the support list. Plus there so much Mother love in Ultimate may not mean nothing but still something to think about it.
Add me to the list too. I would LOVE Porky in Smash! ❤
Welcome new recruits, to the Pig Mask Army. ;)

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I actually sort of see Nintendo doing something for Mother's 30th Anniversary, and I'm assuming it would be a M3 international release which would mean that Porky would be an excellent candidate for DLC.

Here are some quotes from the EarthBound Beginnings announcement in 2015 that makes me believe something could happen next year:

"Why is it finally being released now?"

"20 years ago on June 5th, the SNES version of EarthBound was released. Already 20 years have passed! This is to commemorate that day."

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I actually sort of see Nintendo doing something for Mother's 30th Anniversary, and I'm assuming it would be a M3 international release which would mean that Porky would be an excellent candidate for DLC.

Here are some quotes from the EarthBound Beginnings announcement in 2015 that makes me believe something could happen next year:

"Why is it finally being released now?"

"20 years ago on June 5th, the SNES version of EarthBound was released. Already 20 years have passed! This is to commemorate that day."
I have always heard rumors that they delay the time when they want to reveal Mother 3, whenever a credible leaker does mention the game. I think it can put constraints on weather or not Nintendo wants to choose him.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I have always heard rumors that they delay the time when they want to reveal Mother 3, whenever a credible leaker does mention the game. I think it can put constraints on weather or not Nintendo wants to choose him.
I remember Vergeben saying in reddit a year ago or so that Nintendo actually had a Mother 3 localization, but they were retaining it for some reason.
Not sure if that's a very reliable source of information but is just extra information that I wanted to share.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
The best part of being a Porky fan; is that i didn't have high expectations of him getting in anyways, so if he happens to get lucky this time, that just makes it a pleasant surprise, and if he doesn't, well I didn't initially expect him anyways. A win win. Plus Ridley basically crushed any issue with "not being able to portray him".

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Add me to the Pig Mask troop. Porky is the perfect fit for what he could bring to Smash:
  1. Another villain to outweigh the high amount of heroes
  2. Mech combat gameplay in essence to that of Tron Bonne from Marvel vs Capcom 2/3.
Being a 1st party character helps with legal and licensing issues.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
“Relevance” doesn’t mean a damn thing they are fighters I mentioned previously before that will NEVER have another game. Btw wasent mother 3 released a decade ago that WAY less of a time gap between some other characters games. Btw when was K.Rool in a DKC oh wait that’s right 20 freaking years. Miss me with relevance nonsense

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
“Relevance” doesn’t mean a damn thing they are fighters I mentioned previously before that will NEVER have another game. Btw wasent mother 3 released a decade ago that WAY less of a time gap between some other characters games. Btw when was K.Rool in a DKC oh wait that’s right 20 freaking years. Miss me with relevance nonsense
Donkey Kong series is still relevant and they can always bring him back if they wanted to, Mother not nearly as much. Plus veterans have a higher chance of returning even without a new game.
ROB, DH, and GW is considered joke characters by Sakurai in relation to Piranha Plant. They are all not a "typical" hero/heroine character.
But difference is Porky is a villian.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Wrong K.Rool's last appearence as final boss was in 2007's DK: Jungle Climber. His theme during that battle even appears as a music track in Ultimate. Yeah he may not have been in Retro's DKC games because they wanted to branch out and do something different/new but he still appeared in games past DK64 in 1999.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
I obviously meant the Rare games btw the only reason they stopped making dkc was because Microsoft bought them

Last edited:

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
And the Mother series being my all time favorite game series (and mother 3 being my all time favorite game) i am finally glad to see a group of people who want the pig king as much as i do. Porky is my ALL TIME favorite video game character so the hype this group has brought up is insane. I am 100% for the 10,000 year old boy!

StormC

Smash Hero
Even with these weird circumstances I really don't see Nintendo offering a character from a niche RPG series that only had one game leave Japan for DLC.

I'd welcome Porky with open arms, myself, but really it's more of a shame that he doesn't seem to be in the game in any capacity. Would love a Porky icon.

Please put me on the supporter list if I'm not already.

Last edited:

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Please add me to the list of supporters (draft me into the Pigmask Army? Haha!). I've been an advocate for the Pig King for as long as I've been involved with Smash, and this seems like the perfect time to voice my support. EarthBound is my favorite Nintendo series, and nothing would please me more than Porky making the cut for DLC (aside from maybe an official M3 localization; hopefully the two will go hand-in-hand :D).

Zeox

Smash Champion
Wrong K.Rool's last appearence as final boss was in 2007's DK: Jungle Climber. His theme during that battle even appears as a music track in Ultimate. Yeah he may not have been in Retro's DKC games because they wanted to branch out and do something different/new but he still appeared in games past DK64 in 1999.
Still stands the point that K. Rool hasn't been relevant for a long time yet he made it and we all should be happy about that.
Sakurai thank you for Ridley and K. Rool.

Top Bottom