• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

jamesster445

Smash Lord

Who Is Porky
Porky Minch is a primary antagonist in both Earthbound and its sequel Mother 3. He quickly works against Ness and join Gygas. Somewhere in between the events of the two games Porky became immortal and became a dictator that would go on to ruin the lifestyle of Lucas's town in the Nowhere Islands.

Why?
Porky is easily recognized as the defining villain of the Mother series. While he's not the primary villain of Mother 1 or Mother 2. But Mother 2 introduced him as the dragon and Giygas's right hand. What's more Porky is seen through the game causing trouble for Ness and company. He's a villain that the player devlops a relationship with which is something that Sakurai likes. Porky does return as the mastermind behind Mother 3 and while his appearances aren't nearly as numerous, his influece is clearly seen. And once again he is a direct cause of strife for Lucas and company. Porky also has a little more personality when compared to other Mother villains.

Movesets
By ZenythSmash ZenythSmash

Moveset by jamesster445 jamesster445
There has been a outcry of a certain character archetype for Smash Bros during the Wii U era and even now as we enter the Switch era. “Smash needs more villains and it needs more heavyweights.” Because of this, two names always pop up. Ridley from the Metroid series (who was recently confirmed) and King K.Rool of the Donkey Kong series. And Both are fine choices and there’s some commonality between them. They only had 2 reps and they were both heroes. But there was a third series that followed that same commonality but never got the same recognition. Which is sad, because the villain we’re talking about might be the most despicable villain Nintendo has ever published and more importantly, this villain has actually been in Smash before.

Special shout out to Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt for his Porky sprites.

Pig mask Army

Discuss

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I support Porky, as log as he gets his "Spankety Spankety Spankety" taunt.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Porky is just a dynamite pick across the board.

• Main villain of a woefully ignored franchise with a rep as far back as Smash 64.
  • Has excellent map potential (New Pork City, Fourside, etc).
  • Some of the best dictator boss theme music period.
  • Totally variable options for size, controlling a mech/exo-suit etc.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I don't know if I'd say Mother is ignored. It gets a fair amount of love each game I feel. But I'd love to have Porky in there. He'd be a pretty cool and interesting character to play as, and I'd love playing him with his "Porky Means Business" theme playing.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Porky is the best choice for a Mother villain as far as importance and uniqueness. Claus seems far more popular, however, and is probably easier to program. But Porky could finally bring a mech moveset into SSB too.

Count me as a Porky supporter, but I wouldn't be mad if it were Claus instead.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've never played a Mother/Earthbound game, before but I would love to see Porky in it. Add me to the supporters, please.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Thoughts on the bedmech being an alternate costume to the heavily armed mech?
That would require animations be changed between swaps, which so far hasn't been done with any other character. Because Porky would be lying down in his preserved state as opposed to working knobs/levers, grinning mischeviously, etc. I myself would personally prefer if they used the EarthBound mech, with some squash-and-stretch liberties taken in its animations to imply it's not a mechanical device (and to prevent movements from being stiff).

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Figured it was worth asking since the bed mech and heavily armed mech are pretty similar in shape. They could definitely be convergent clones at least.
Anyway, side view.
upload_2018-5-9_3-9-30.png

Updated my side view.
pok.png

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
It also helps to remember that Ness is skinnier and barely taller than Kirby, so Porky fits in that context.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I support this, beated for the first time Earthbound 2 days ago and now I'm playing Mother 3 (already got spoiled of Porky stuff in this game), honestly Porky kinda reminds me of Eric Cartman from South Park
Smash needs more villains, and Porky will be a great adition to the roaster.
+ Bowser Jr. is a good example of characters in mechas, so is not impossible to imagine him in his spider robot.
+ he would be a new character from one of the original franchises from Smash 64.
+ he was already in brawl as a boss
+ great personality, love to hate him
+ kickass music theme
Any ideas of what his final smash would be?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I support the most clever, most charming, and most trouble-making boy ever... Master Porky Minch!

Also, here's a support icon I made for the great pig king.
Porky.png

I support this, beated for the first time Earthbound 2 days ago and now I'm playing Mother 3 (already got spoiled of Porky stuff in this game), honestly Porky kinda reminds me of Eric Cartman from South Park
Smash needs more villains, and Porky will be a great adition to the roaster.
+ Bowser Jr. is a good example of characters in mechas, so is not impossible to imagine him in his spider robot.
+ he would be a new character from one of the original franchises from Smash 64.
+ he was already in brawl as a boss
+ great personality, love to hate him
+ kickass music theme
KingStatuebattle.png

This is what I'd expect, although I do think the Devil's Machine and Giygas would be ten thousand times cooler.

Zeox

Smash Champion
This is the kind of voice that I imagine Porky have:
Edit: thinking about it, Porky would be the best new Mother character because he is the only character that knows not only Ness, but Lucas too, he has been a villain and a rival for both of them.
Also, here is Itoi talking about Porky and his opinions about the character:
http://mother3.fobby.net/interview/m3int_09.html

Last edited:

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
100% I support Porky for Smash. He's a great villain, Mother character, and would allow for us to fight with a giant spider robot. Also: It could mean we'd finally get an official Mother 3 translation in the states. Or, better yet, a new Mother game? Sure, call me Pollyanna and say I'm crazy as a loon...

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I support Porky, I would love to have him as a mech based fighter with all sorts of cool attacks in his mech, if the imgur leak is true having Porky would be sick.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
As a huge EarthBound fanboy, I'm all for more series representation. If there were some world where Porky was playable and Ninten could at least be a costume, I would want to be a part of it. Spankety spankety spankety! Add me to the support list.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
At least 3 mother stages are confirmed from this video.
Onett, magicant and NEW PORK!
which don't mean anything, but just saying... right now there are more mother stages than mother characters.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Knew you guys would be happy to see that! Magicant doesn't look too different except now it might be tourney legal... and that polycount! Yay.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
At this point his chances are probably 50-50. Sakurai said he's not trying to add too many characters since the roster already is at 66 characters. Then again Ridley and Bowser jr should prove that Porky can be done.

Zeox

Smash Champion
At this point his chances are probably 50-50. Sakurai said he's not trying to add too many characters since the roster already is at 66 characters. Then again Ridley and Bowser jr should prove that Porky can be done.
Ridley and Porky were the only bosses from subspace emissary that were main villains and very important characters from their respective franchises.
Ridley did it, now I believe is Porky's time.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
At least 3 mother stages are confirmed from this video.
Onett, magicant and NEW PORK!
which don't mean anything, but just saying... right now there are more mother stages than mother characters.
4, actually! Fourside's returned as well, which means every Mother stage is all here in one game.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Man I wish you guys the best for this. More villains are always welcome, as well as more unique heavies. With one boss coming back and his signature stage he could well make the transition from boss to playable. I'll follow this until he gets confirmed or disconfirmed.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Man I wish you guys the best for this. More villains are always welcome, as well as more unique heavies. With one boss coming back and his signature stage he could well make the transition from boss to playable.
If it doesn't happens at least I will have Ridley with me, but god, if Porky is also playable in smash I never ask Sakurai for anything never again.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Thoughts on the bedmech being an alternate costume to the heavily armed mech?
View attachment 143362
it'd probably gonna take a lot of dev work, but i'd like to see an attempt to that
if you look at the hypothetical moveset sheet i made for Porky, there's some nifty ideas that could be used
PorkyMoveset.png

literally done this during the ballot via the late Smash 3DS/WiiU days. the top is all his source material for what he really needs in his moveset.
you may use it for the OP if needed
credit to Tonberry2k for doing the original sprites for an old and dead Super Smash Bros Project at the TVGR forums (wish i could obligate him to complete it ;v; )

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOL, with that Porkybot I wonder if they could somehow make him a Bowser Jr clone

jamesster445

Smash Lord
it'd probably gonna take a lot of dev work, but i'd like to see an attempt to that

if you look at the hypothetical moveset sheet i made for Porky, there's some nifty ideas that could be used
View attachment 150401
literally done this during the ballot via the late Smash 3DS/WiiU days. the top is all his source material for what he really needs in his moveset.
credit to Tonberry2k for doing the original sprites for an old and dead Super Smash Bros Project at the TVGR forums (wish i could obligate him to complete it ;v; )
This is great, I will definitely add this to the OP.

LOL, with that Porkybot I wonder if they could somehow make him a Bowser Jr clone
To be fair I think people opened up more to Porky as a mech fighter thanks to Bowser Jr. So the idea wouldn't be out of the question.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
even then, a clone/echo of BJ wouldn't make any sense. plenty of distinct fighters use simliar but not the same specials, yes.
but what do you make out of a clown copter to a spider mecha?
a variation of a vehicular fighter does, however, does!

Zeox

Smash Champion
No, but it could share some movesets, I can't see Porky's mech doing this:
B04eRgoCYAAiqh4.png

But I can see things like having the attack of throwing mecha koopas and being replaced by Porkybots.

View attachment 150401
Woah, I have to save that one, is awesome.

Top Bottom