• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poppi boosters, engaged! Poppi from Xenoblade 2 support thread!

Megaban

Smash Cadet
Wynaut?

I started playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and it was a blast. This also introduced me to now my 3rd favourite character. Poppi.

WHO IS POPPI?
Poppi is an artificial Blade from game Xenoblade Chronicles 2, pretty recent title on Nintendo Switch. She was built with hard work of 3 Nopon generation: Professor Soosoo, Tatazo and finally -Tora, her "driver" (he technically couldn't be one, like his father and grandpa, hence why they were working on their own "blade"). Rex and Pyra can bear witness to her activation, then artificial blade and Tora join them in their quest for Elysium. Because I suck at explaining things, I will add this:
http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Poppi_α

WHY POPPI?
Well, while it's true she will have big competition in form on Rex and Pyra/Mythra, I think the way she operates fits more for Smash. She also has more "uniquiety" potential. Not saying main charater of XC doesn't, but that's still a sword character. And there we have an artificial Blade with a Drill Shield, which already sounds like something new +it has more abilities, like Noponic Storm or Big Biter as well.
Besides let's NOT forget her other 2 forms. QT could be either some kind of "swap" special move akin to Zelda/Sheik or triggered under certain conditions. QT Pi seems like a great Final Smash material, on the other hand.

Besides, there's also an option to let her come along Tora instead. She'd be more like a support and use some attacks with specials for example, otherwise lurking in the background. But not going to lie, I'd prefer seeing her as a fighter on their own. Her being a pair along that cute little Nopon wouldn't hurt of course.

tl;dr she would be a breath of fresh air and awesome addition to a beautiful franchise that is Super Smash Bros.

WHAT WOULD HER MOVESET BE LIKE?
She sure has a lot to offer. Of course most of her moves would involve her Drill Shield that Tora and she use. If she were standalone, she could "borrow" Tora's blade arts as well for moves. Those are Rigid Shield (defensive move, maybe a reflect?), Spinning cutter, Steady Drill and Big Boost. She also has her Blade Arts: poppi Spinning Slash, Noponic Storm, Poppi Drill and Jet Biter. So a lot of stuff for moves here. Same can be a applied to Poppi QT with Mech Arms (and maybe QT Pi with Variable Saber in Final Smash) with their own movesets, Driver/Blade arts. Normal moves would b different weapon slashes/blows, perhaps some kicks/punches in the mix?
Also, her Poppi boosters and overall physical strength can be shown in her moves as well.

Maybe I didn't post a lot, but I just like being brief by nature :p Anyway, I want to see if Poppi has more support in here. So, anyone willing to share support, moveset ideas and other things associated with her, go ahead! Any help welcome! ^_^

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Tora & Poppi would be a great addition. You could effectively give Tora three movesets with the drill shield, the mech arms and the sabre all giving him various buffs like Shulk's Monado arts. If they were to integrate blade combos then Poppi would be able to jump out of the background and briefly fight for Tora.

As for Poppi on her own, I wouldn't mind but I feel the driver + blade combination is what gives the Xenoblade 2 characters their identity.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
To Quote what I said on the Elma thread

My stance on Xenoblade characters are as follows.

- Shulk, as the longsword character.
- A dual sword character like Fiora, Elma, or Morag.
- Finally that shield character.

Now if I had to pick a dual sword character, I would like Morag since she was my favorite from Xenoblade 2. But if Elma is chosen to rep Xenoblade X, that would leave Tora as a rep for Xenoblade 2.
So I can get behind this. Just don't forget about Tora. He's a nopon and I don't think that's something that should be overlooked.

Megaban

Smash Cadet
Yeah, agreed. Tora alongside Poppi is awesome combination as well :D

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Not sure about Poppi only but Tora and Poppi together is my personal Xenoblade dream for Smash! It'd be amazing!

D

Deleted member

I really want to see poppi added in this game... Moreso than Rex. I would like to see her other forms and tora in her finap smash as well

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
Poppi's got my vote for new Xenoblade character. The drill shield really sells it.

Oh, and her moveset would be fairly easy. You've got...
Spinning Cutter, B
Noponic Storm, Side B
Poppi Drill, Up B
Poppiswap, Down B (Changes role in a similiar manner to Shulk)
Poppi QT, Final Smash

Fill out her standards with generic drilling and shield thrusts, plus some punches to reflect her fight with Lila. I'd make her aerials hookshot attacks in reference to Tiger! Tiger!

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I just... cannot get behind this character.
And it is for silly reasons. But hearing the word kind of makes my skull flip.

I first noticed this when a character of the same name appeared in a show called "The Magicians" and gave the main guy Quinton, a super emo harry potter, a key which inspired him to try to kill himself.

The story is irrelevant, as is my point, but it makes me angry to just hear the name.

THEN AGAIN,
I have never heard the Smash announcer say it.

Speaking of Smash Announcer, I do not forgive myself for not getting more Voice over work done since last smash.

Megaban

Smash Cadet
Woo, that some nice support here ^^

Maybe I should add a list of supporters? + note if person wants her solo/with Tora/either.
And more moveset ideas welcome :D

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
My only objection to Tora and Poppi together as a team fighter is that the extra mechanics would probably make them more likely to be cut later. Just look at what happened to transformations, Pokemon Trainer, and Ice Climbers.

Tora should probably be in there somewhere, though. BlazGreen has the right idea on how to best reflect Xenoblade Chronicles 2 by having Poppi in the background while you play as Tora, which is probably what will happen if anyone from that game gets in.

But I'd rather play as Poppi than Tora. Should we shoot for what might happen or what we want to happen?

jamesster445

Smash Lord
So I made a moveset. Let me know what you think.

So Super Smash Bros Ultimate has been revealed and what a reveal it was. Everyone is here! All previous veterans have returned aswell as newcomers such as the Inklings, Daisy and Ridley (I should do a comparison between what I made for him once the game comes out). Sakurai did leave us with one ominous comment, “We hope you’re not expecting too many newcomers this time around.” That said I think we’ll get a healthy number of characters, if Ridley is 65 then we’ll get at least to number 70. So who can we see? Well I for one think it’s a safe bet that we’ll see a new Xenoblade character.

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
That moveset is beyond great. I love the use of pictures. Tora and Poppi would be very hard to master as a defensive character that has to keep a partner in position for the Affinity Line. Can Poppi be attacked?

jamesster445

Smash Lord
That moveset is beyond great. I love the use of pictures. Tora and Poppi would be very hard to master as a defensive character that has to keep a partner in position for the Affinity Line. Can Poppi be attacked?
Poppi has an AI more akin to Luma and Pikmin as opposed to Nana. Poppi can be struck, but Blades tend to be sturdier than drivers, so the most an enemy can do is temporarily stun Poppi for a bit. But she'll then immediately rush back to Tora'a side.

Top Bottom