• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poochy for Smash!

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
One piece of evidence I've seen in Poochy's favor is that the Wooly World stage was cut. It had no real reason to be cut, but if they thought it would be too similar to a Crafty World stage, it would make sense.
I initially thought it was cut due to the stage morph function, but after taking another look at footage from the stage, I don't really see that counterargument holding water anymore I also wonder why it was cut. And as you said, similarities to a potential crafted world stage could be their reason. After all, a stage based of Kirby's Epic Yarn was planned until Yoshi's Wooly World was announced. I could easily see it happening again.
Edit: Added a subsentence that I forgot to put in

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Also important to remember is that Yoshi has his Crafted World appearance as an alt.
I think Poochy would go the same route. I think he's likely, and I definitely approve him as a choice!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I’m actually might be seeing it

Classified as yarn poochy
but not poochy

Yoshi woolly world stage removed
crafted world stage not involved and packages invovle a stage for the character

Crafted world Yoshi is involved
so poochy could get the same thing

Nintendo is calling the shots on the 5 and they usually promote
poochy would promote crafted world and poochy can use a crafted world stage since none is involved

I’m in support me

And no codulences for poochy when those two yarn Yoshi took the cookies before he did.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I’m actually might be seeing it

Classified as yarn poochy
but not poochy

Yoshi woolly world stage removed
crafted world stage not involved and packages invovle a stage for the character

Crafted world Yoshi is involved
so poochy could get the same thing

Nintendo is calling the shots on the 5 and they usually promote
poochy would promote crafted world and poochy can use a crafted world stage since none is involved

I’m in support me

And no codulences for poochy when those two yarn Yoshi took the cookies before he did.
Great call with the Wolly World being absent and nothing on Crafted World to substitute it yet. I think it could be legit.

Also, just for funsies:
If you had to call for the 5 DLC characters, which one would they be?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Great call with the Wolly World being absent and nothing on Crafted World to substitute it yet. I think it could be legit.

Also, just for funsies:
Square rep

Sylux

Edelgard/ fire emblem three houses rep

Poochy

And unfortunately Minecraft steve

Last edited:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman

Also, just for funsies:
Honestly there are so many factors that could be favourable or unfavourable for some characters that I can't really pinpoint 5 characters in particular, but I do think the following are serious contenders in no particular order of likeliness:

Slime (DQ)
Fjorm
Bandana Waddle Dee
Heihachi
Lloyd Irving
Rayman
Poochy
Monster Hunter
Phoenix Wright
King Boo
Joker/Jack Frost
Steve

Honorable mentions:
Sylux
Dixie Kong
Adeleine
Gen 8 Pokémon
FE 3 houses characters
(The former 3 I can definitely see happening, but there are some things which leave me uncertain. The latter 2 I doubt will happen. A gen 8 Pokémon has extreme recency to deal with, and Sakurai only added Corrin due to moveset potential, already hesitating with the number of FE characters. And from what I've seen, Fjorm has more (fresh) possibilities for a moveset than a 3 houses character.)

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
The Yoshi series really could a second rep so I support. I think Poochy could bring something different to the table. Plus, he looks so adorable.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
So, I don't know why I've waited so long to come here, but I support Poochy as a new Yoshi rep 100%. I have an almost involuntary adoration for the little guy, and always have--as a result, I bought the Wooly World 3DS port just for the Poochy levels (And amiibo) alone. As one might imagine, I lost it at the animated shorts in the game. I seriously love this little pup.

And honestly, he's got every reason to be considered: he's been in (I believe) every Yoshi game, and was even in Odyssey. He's a big enough deal to be brought back for every Yoshi game, and now has been featured on the cover art, as well as in the name of one. That's kind of a big deal, really. I can only imagine that translates to some measure of popularity. Obviously he's impossible to hate, and I doubt anyone's going to complain about the Yoshi series getting a rep.

What's more...with the reveal of Joker for DLC, and Reggie's words about "unexpected characters," I'm starting to believe Poochy is actually somewhat possible. There's no denying he'd be unique, especially if you factor in all the Yoshi series stuff he could incorporate into his moveset (Babies, pups, crafting, eggs--even chomp rocks!) And he'd definitely be unexpected. Plus, Crafted World will be releasing right around when Piranha Plant drops...possibly transitioning into a Poochy reveal as well. I'm sure the upcoming game and recent prominence of the Yoshi series could've sparked talk of more content for the series in Smash back when DLC was decided. Things are strangely lining up for the pup.

Weirder things have definitely happened (:ultpiranha:). I'm actually kind of hoping for it now, lol. It's neat to think it's somewhat possible, in this current environment.

Thus ends my Poochy rant.:p Hope you enjoyed it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So...

Of all the 1st party chracters, Poochy of all characters is looking the most likely 1st party character.

What a wacky timeline we live in.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I'd much rather have Kamek, or even Boshi, but I love the Yoshi series a whole lot, and any 1st party rep is good in my book. I support this good boy.

As far as how likely he is? I really don't think it's a high amount, people are putting way too much stock into spirits.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd much rather have Kamek, or even Boshi, but I love the Yoshi series a whole lot, and any 1st party rep is good in my book. I support this good boy.

As far as how likely he is? I really don't think it's a high amount, people are putting way too much stock into spirits.
Well better putting stocks into spirits than into EA.

(Don't think spirits matter that much but we've not got a lot to go on ATM)

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I still believe Spirits is legit and that the missing ones are an indicator of possible future candidates, given that DLC planning was being sealed months so little time before the game's launch.
I think Poochy has a very good chance

WarioTheLegend

Smash Rookie
I have the gut feeling we're getting five third parties and spirits do deconfirm.
Personally I don't know how to feel about the Yarn Poochy spirit because maybe it is counted as Poochy but I want to believe.

Meeper12346

Smash Rookie
Count me in as a supporter. King Sonnn DeDeDoo's moveset is the most inspired Poochy moveset I've ever seen, coming from a supporter of the character since Smash 4. Very great work.

WarioTheLegend

Smash Rookie
The moveset would certainly make Poochy a more interesting character.
I think Poochy Pups need to be in his moveset somehow, considering they're being marketed pretty heavily nowadays.
The Poochy next to Yoshi on the Crafted World box is actually a Poochy pup. They're important enough to be right next to Yoshi on the Crafted World box.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, it seems this was brought up in the Lycanroc thread:

Someone posted a theory stating that the reason why Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt can also corrupt your save in All-Star mode is because there are DLC fighters using them as a base. Supposedly Banjo is who's using Duck Hunt, but if this theory means anything I think a quadrupedal dog is more likely.
Taking it with a grain of salt, but I can't help but think of a certain dog that would fit this...

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I'm supporting this doggo for DLC! (Along with Bandana Dee!)

Here's my entire moveset for him in my Smash Bros. Eternity:
Note: Poochy is more expressive instead of his usual happy face.

Tagline
"Poochy ruffs it up!"

Specials
Neutral: Lick (Yoshi's custom special from 4)

Side: Pooch Charge

Up: Tail Propeller or Flutter Jump

Down: Pup Pounce (Summons the Pups)

Grabs
Pummel: Bites the opponent

Forwards: Carries the opponent in his mouth (Cargo Throw like Donkey Kong)

Backwards: Throws the opponent away with his mouth

Up: Does a handstand and kicks the opponent in the air

Down: Shakes the opponent like a squeak toy before smashing into the ground

Jabs and Tilts
Jab: Swipes with his paw

Rapid: Several licking before doing a uppercut with his tongue

Up: Does a headbutt

Down: Flops down letting his tongue out

Side: Kick with back legs

Smash Attacks
Side: Launches himself headfirst

Up: Does a front flip

Down: A Pooch Pup swings him around by the tail

Dash Attack: Clumsily stumbles into the opponent

Aerials
Neutral: Does a cartwheel

Backwards: Kicks with back legs (similar to his side tilt)

Forwards: Twirls around

Up: Wags his tail upwards

Down: Headbutts downwards

Final Smash
Lava Rush (Poochy hits an opponent that contacts with taking them to a cut-scene of him running through lava damaging the opponent and throws them at a Chomp Shark who bites the opponent.)
After this the opponents are launched offstage.

Idle Animations
1. Poochy looks downwards in a startled fashion.

2. Poochy looks behind at his tail whilst lifting it up slightly.

Taunts
1. Poochy sits down, like any old dog would do if you asked them to sit.

2. Poochy yawns and falls asleep.

3. Poochy stands upright briefly whilst still squatting down with puppy dog eyes being made.

Victory Poses
1. Balancing around on a giant Chomp Rock.

2. Runs around and trips over clumsily.

3. Seen with Yoshi on his back running around with the Poochy Pups before jumping in the air.

Losing Pose: Clapping with his paws, wagging his tail and barks happily.

Alts
1. Default

2. Strawberry

3. Cow

4. Bee

5. Hamburger

6. Golden

7. Inverted

8. Crafted

Kirby Hat
Resembles the Piranha Plant one but with Poochy instead.

Boxing Ring Title
Invincible Canine

Stage Entrance
Walks out of his doghouse which disappears behind him.

Last edited:

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
I support including Poochy as a playable fighter -- either in Ultimate, or in a hypothetical Smash 6 game. (Who knows, Smash 6 might have 100+ playable fighters).

If Poochy were to be included, he would have an egg symbol next to his attributes (like Yoshi), and he would be the 2nd fighter from the Yoshi franchise. (Yoshi has been the sole representative of the Yoshi franchise in smash games since 1999).

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Ooh, this is a good one! Personally, I think the next Yoshi rep (if there ever is one) should be Kamek, and Poochy might be better of as a Gogoat-style assist trophy, but I certainly wouldn't say no to playable Poochy.

His Final Smash definitely has to incorporate the Poochy Pups, and maybe also the stork. Also, he should totes be able to stand on hurt floors without taking damage, since that's his main gimmick.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Ooh, this is a good one! Personally, I think the next Yoshi rep (if there ever is one) should be Kamek, and Poochy might be better of as a Gogoat-style assist trophy, but I certainly wouldn't say no to playable Poochy.

His Final Smash definitely has to incorporate the Poochy Pups, and maybe also the stork. Also, he should totes be able to stand on hurt floors without taking damage, since that's his main gimmick.
That could be useful for the Spirit battles

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Poochy is a very underrated character in Mario universe despite of his consistent ally role in Yoshi games.

This reminds me of Rambi of DKC series. He is also a consistent ally in DKC games, but he is never playable solely and the general supports are for kongs and KRool. I think Nintendo just treat both in the same place. Yoshi seems to be the only special case as an ally character with explosive increase in popularity that eveuntally makes him in a protagonist tier.

Don't feel his chance in Smash is big, but definitely hope that Odyssey opens a new door for him to be in more various games.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
SMH, asking for Poochy before Itchy and Scratchy are even in the game. (Wait, this joke hasn't been done before, has it?)

1564715787089.png

Joking aside, I'd be OK with seeing Poochy as a Yoshi character. If it were up to me, and if I wanted to distance Yoshi more from Mario, I'd have a roster of:

• Yoshi
    • Echo: Birdo (I'd probably replace the tongue attack with an attack that sucks the opponent in and shoots them out in an egg, similar to K. Rool's Blunderbuss)
  • Kamek
  • Poochy
  • Baby Mario
So I'd be cool with Poochy.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Sakurai confirmed that there will be more DLC Fighters after the First pass, hopefully Poochy and Bandana Dee get in. (My most wanted fighters.)

Top Bottom