• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poochy for Smash!

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't think of a pun... but that's alright
Poochy if you did not know appears in the yoshi games, he is a dog who can do many various things like the things below...

Neutral B - Lick
Poochy does a large lick at the opponent

Up B- Pounce
Poochy jumps up and starts attacking

Side B- Fetch
Poochy sniffs and then jumps forward and will move nearby items as well.

Down B- Sniff
Poochy puts itself into a mode where it becomes stronger while giving it a temporary immunity to lava and spike damage

Final Smash - Poochy Pound
Poochy jumps up and licks the opponent and jumps up high and ground pounds you

Yoshi is so overdue for new characters and I would love to see this character get in one day.

What do you think of this character?

Supporters:
S SEGAGameBoy
Zinith Zinith
KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465
King Sonnn DeDeDoo King Sonnn DeDeDoo
Igglybuff4SmashU Igglybuff4SmashU
Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6
JadeBladeGamer22 JadeBladeGamer22
Hydra of Chaos Hydra of Chaos
Flyboy Flyboy
WarioTheLegend WarioTheLegend
Starblax Starblax
Dreamking Dreamking
PhilosophicAnimal PhilosophicAnimal
PokéfreakofBACON PokéfreakofBACON
Meeper12346 Meeper12346
Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah!
Pokelego999 Pokelego999

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Made a moveset for Poochy

Poochy Moveset

Attributes: Since Yoshi uses poochy as a mount he would have to be heavier than yoshi, maybe around Samus' weight. also I imagine he would have better ground mobility than the air, since he's seen on the ground running rather than jumping around like yoshi.

B- Lick:
This move is taken directly from one of Yoshi's custom moves in Smash 4, Poochy lunges forward and gives the opponent a big ol' lick. Altered slightly so the tongue goes in an upward motion to allow the move's hitbox to guard against aerial attacks.

Side B- Charge:
Poochy charges forward at high speeds, going into a charge that deals moderate knockback and damage when colliding with an enemy. While charging poochy receives both knockback and damage resistance (a nod toward Poochy resilience, seriously the dog can withstand acid and lava!). Lastly, after a short animation, Poochy can change directions during the charge. Performing this move in the air puts Poochy in special fall.

Up B- Bubble:
After a bit of start up, Poochy becomes encased inside a bubble (like the ones Baby mario and the rest of the mario crew in 3D world use) and starts floating in a direction of your choice. You can speed up or slow down the direction the bubble moves in, and even go a different direction if you counteract the initial momentum of the move. After the duration of the move or if the move is ended early by pressing B, the bubble will pop dealing damage and knockback to enemies in a small radius around poochy.

Down B- Poochy-Pups:
These little woolly pups function somewhere in between :ultolimar:'s Pikmin and :ultrosalina:'s Lumas. You can call them out one by one with your Down special maxing out at 3 at a time. These little guys will follow behind Poochy and try their best to mimic big poochy's actions, preforming weak versions of his attacks. If Poochy preforms a smash attack or Special move, they will perform their weak version of the attack one after the other. If the pups are knocked away, they won't mimic your attacks until they can reach you again. Unfortunately, Poochy pups only have a set amount of HP before they unravel and you have to wait for them to recharge. You can see how many Pups you have available to call in during play by little pup icons on top of your damage indicator. Using bubble will cause the pups to get encased in a bubble and automatically float towards poochy.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman

Poochy Moveset

Attributes: Since Yoshi uses poochy as a mount he would have to be heavier than yoshi, maybe around Samus' weight. also I imagine he would have better ground mobility than the air, since he's seen on the ground running rather than jumping around like yoshi.

B- Lick:
This move is taken directly from one of Yoshi's custom moves in Smash 4, Poochy lunges forward and gives the opponent a big ol' lick. Altered slightly so the tongue goes in an upward motion to allow the move's hitbox to guard against aerial attacks.

Side B- Charge:
Poochy charges forward at high speeds, going into a charge that deals moderate knockback and damage when colliding with an enemy. While charging poochy receives both knockback and damage resistance (a nod toward Poochy resilience, seriously the dog can withstand acid and lava!). Lastly, after a short animation, Poochy can change directions during the charge. Performing this move in the air puts Poochy in special fall.

Up B- Bubble:
After a bit of start up, Poochy becomes encased inside a bubble (like the ones Baby mario and the rest of the mario crew in 3D world use) and starts floating in a direction of your choice. You can speed up or slow down the direction the bubble moves in, and even go a different direction if you counteract the initial momentum of the move. After the duration of the move or if the move is ended early by pressing B, the bubble will pop dealing damage and knockback to enemies in a small radius around poochy.

Down B- Poochy-Pups:
These little woolly pups function somewhere in between :ultolimar:'s Pikmin and :ultrosalina:'s Lumas. You can call them out one by one with your Down special maxing out at 3 at a time. These little guys will follow behind Poochy and try their best to mimic big poochy's actions, preforming weak versions of his attacks. If Poochy preforms a smash attack or Special move, they will perform their weak version of the attack one after the other. If the pups are knocked away, they won't mimic your attacks until they can reach you again. Unfortunately, Poochy pups only have a set amount of HP before they unravel and you have to wait for them to recharge. You can see how many Pups you have available to call in during play by little pup icons on top of your damage indicator. Using bubble will cause the pups to get encased in a bubble and automatically float towards poochy.
That looks really well thought out!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Poochy Moveset

B- Lick:

Side B- Charge:

Up B- Bubble:

Down B- Poochy-Pups:
I'm glad to see someone else thought of the Poochy pups for moveset viability.

Also, count me in as a supporter, as well.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
As long as he remembers to recycle....TO THE EXTREME!

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I really think Assist Trophy status fits Poochy much more and is much more likely for Poochy to happen, but I certainly wouldn't be complaining about playable Poochy. I'm down.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Hey Poochy fans I have a question, would you rather have his regular design or his Wooly World design?

Personally I think the Woolly design lets him visually stand out from the cast and references the prominence he got in the Wooly World games.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Why not the original design, and have a woolly alternate, while giving Yoshi a woolly alternate of his own as well to make it match? Though I guess for Poochy the woolly variant could possibly be his default to differentiate him a little more.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Woolly World was when he was first playable so I could see that Poochy getting in as the default but regular Poochy is his most recent appearance (Odyssey).

Add me to the supporters list

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Stork is an interesting idea... hmm, never thought of that before. Uses the different babies from YI:DS for attacks? I could get behind that. But, the stork is just... well, a regular old stork. I wish it had more character to it, so I'd be able to more easily get behind this unnamed Stork. Heh. Though I do love the idea for babies, I once thought Super Baby Mario as a character could work, but... ehhhh, fighting babies, and beating babies, plus yet another Mario on the roster just soured me on the idea ultimately.

Poochy though, I love Poochy. But, I don't think he's got playable potential. However, he's my #1 choice for Assist Trophy, over any other potential AT from any series. Just jump on top of him like a Gogoat as he tramples over the competition. As for more Yoshi representation on the roster, I'd be all for Yarn Yoshi as an Echo. Or at least, I'm not opposed to it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At most I might only see Poochy being an assist trophy however at the chance he does somehow make it in I'll be happy for his supporters.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Hello again fellow Poochy fans! Looks like Poochy and the Poochy pups unsurprisingly show up in crafted world! ( at :33 for Poochy and :40 for the Poochy pups)

Don't think it really has any baring on his chances in Smash, but it's nice to see Poochy continue to be a Yoshi franchise staple.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
I really love Poochy, but I feel it suits him better as an assist trophy...like moving in the stage at fast speed, and any character that collides with him will make them "ride" poochy, dragging them along. And when Poochy stops, the characters that rode him would move by inertia, potentially driving them off-stage... (not that I thought about him, lol)
Now, if he's included as a playable character, no doubt I'll be happy

PS: Also I ask for a Tap Tap assist trophy :/

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I really love Poochy, but I feel it suits him better as an assist trophy...like moving in the stage at fast speed, and any character that collides with him will make them "ride" poochy, dragging them along. And when Poochy stops, the characters that rode him would move by inertia, potentially driving them off-stage... (not that I thought about him, lol)
Now, if he's included as a playable character, no doubt I'll be happy

PS: Also I ask for a Tap Tap assist trophy :/
An assist Trophy would be a great role for Poochy, as other have said, he could work like Gogoat did in smash 4 (who has yet to been seen in Ultimate)

The OG Yoshi series hasn’t gotten an Assist Trophy yet, and Poochy has been around since the beginning with Yoshi’s island and Poochy has gotten prominence in the last few Yoshi games (even getting his name on the title of the 3DS Woolly World port)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Crafted Poochy would be such a silly pick that I'd love. Can you imagine the cute fanart? I'd prefer Kamek as a new Yoshi rep but this is very plausible and I've loved Poochy since Yoshi's Story. I support this pup.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's high time Yoshi had a pal in game (and Captain Falcon but that's another thread)

Let's see where the DLC train takes us. Less exciting than the hype train but more of an adventure.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
I think it's actually impossible to hate Poochy. It's definitely gonna hurt to fight him :(

Last edited:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, this pupper wasn't even on my radar until recently when I saw a tweet mentioning him come by. But the more I think about it... the more I absolutely want him. I have no idea as to what his moveset could be (although I really like the specials listed in this thread), and I do think an assist role would work perfectly well for him too. But if Nintendo proposed him and the dev team chose him and were able to create a full moveset for him I'd be ecstatic.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I want Poochy with Super Baby Mario riding his back as a playable characters. Just a healthy double dosing of Yoshi's Island goodness in one character. Make the most out of the only other Yoshi series rep.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I want Poochy with Super Baby Mario riding his back as a playable characters. Just a healthy double dosing of Yoshi's Island goodness in one character. Make the most out of the only other Yoshi series rep.
I've seen this idea of the Stork with the Babies; but Poochy with the babies would be equally good!

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I am highly in favor of Poochy to be a dlc character. He has been my favorite Yoshi series character since Yoshi's Island.

He's consistently there you you, is always helpful, immune to lava, spikes, etc, and is all around a bro. Also, cute af. He's also in, I believe, every main Yoshi game in some fashion (even Tetris Attack).

I would almost argue that the Yoshi series doesn't really have any other potential characters besides Poochy because:

- Shyguys are common, but I feel like getting another generic enemy wouldn't be as special as with the Piranha Plant reveal.
- Kamek is kinda there, but he seeks more or less like a generic Magikoopa with a name for some reason, so somewhat in the same boat as the Shyguy.
- The stork is someone I would never honestly expect in any fashion. He might be neat, but I feel he is mostly there for the plot and nothing more.
- The babies. Please no. That's almost as bad as Doctor Mario existing (not that I don't love playing Doc). We don't need the same character younger/older, so please don't ever even consider giving us Baby Mario/Luigi/Peach/Wario/DK/Bowser/etc.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
What about Poochy using arts and crafts as his moveset? Like scissors and paper planes and yarn and the like?

I also like the idea of Poochy with the babies. There's a lot of cute potential with Poochy.

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
One piece of evidence I've seen in Poochy's favor is that the Wooly World stage was cut. It had no real reason to be cut, but if they thought it would be too similar to a Crafty World stage, it would make sense.

WarioTheLegend

Smash Rookie
Maybe it was just cut to make room for other stages, but hopefully it was cut to make way for Poochy's Crafted World stage.

(The Wooly World stage was fun so rest in peace. Hopefully if we get a Crafted World stage, it's gonna be just as fun.)

Top Bottom