• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygon Characters discussion

Battlecow

Play to Win
Polygon Samus: With no B-moves or grabs, some would call her an underdog character. However, while her (its?) recovery may suffer slightly, Her critical moves- Dair, Bair, Fsmash- are totally intact, and she's far from helpless.

Actually, she's not that far from helpless.

But she's better than PDK.

Talk about your favorite Polygons here!

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I think this should be made into a "polygon team" thread instead...this was originally only suppose to be 12 chars but... master hand got added...then giant DK....now every polygon char deserves a spot? :(

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I think this should be made into a "polygon team" thread instead...this was originally only suppose to be 12 chars but... master hand got added...then giant DK....now every polygon char deserves a spot? :(
Well because of online play including the fact that a LOT of people play with the emulator, I think that they do deserve there own thread. Ah, smash64 and its 27 characters.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Yeah, but we made this thread with the purpose that we could have a new, clean area with 12 stickies for each char.

I was thinking maybe we could have 13...12 for the chars, and 1 for all the Gameshark only chars? :o

Battlecow

Play to Win
Actually, I think Surri's right, the gs chars should all be in one sticky... if they even get that. I feel bad for making this thread now. I mean, who plays giant DK? He's just not an actual character.

Unlike Polygon Samus.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Jiggly has the jumps too but her DownB is gone (obviously a big finisher) so i would say kirby edges her would

FOR LULZ, lets give our opinions about a polygon tier list :o

Kirby (Jumps, finishers and combos)
Pikachu (Combos, finishers, fast)
Fox (Combos, finishers, fast, heavy weight)
Falcon (Combos, heavy weight, fast)
Jiggly (Combos, jumps)
Yoshi (Combos, finishers, super armor jump?) <-- not sure if Polygon Yoshi has armor
Ness (Combos, Finishers)
Mario (Combos, mid weight )
Link (Combos, Heavy weight)
DK (Finishers, Heavy weight)
Samus (Mid weight)
Luigi (Mid weight)

Legend:

Combos - The char can do decent combos with only normal attacks

Jumps - The char has extra jumps without the use of special attacks

Finishers - The char can kill a foe easily (Spikes, strong smashes, easy gimps ...etc)

Fast - The Char is quick (since no one has projectiles this becomes more important imo)

Heavy weight - the char is harder to finish (due to the lack of a third jump this becomes slightly more important then normal imo)

Mid weight - The char is harder to combo

Super Armor Jump - The frames Yoshi gets in his jump where he cannot suffer knock back (Which would give him one of the best recovery's for a polygon)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Link is the worst, 0 b movies, no spacing.
Samus is the next worst, her b moves actually help her moveset.

Kirby, Yoshi, and Ness are top. Kirby due to loluptilt and the amount of jumps, Yoshi due to super armor, Ness due to DJC and a useless up b anyway.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I think Yoshi and Ness should be higher. And I dunno about weegee being very last... I think DK might edge him and samus; weegee still has some theoretical finishing power with the Usmash and aerials, and although he loses out big time from B-move deprivation, his grabs aren't that important to his game, compared to, say, Doug or DK.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Ness is a light char though so his combo ability isnt so great.

Edge gaurding is a HUGE factor when there are no Third jumps, Ness is easy to launch and slow in the air

IF yoshi has that armor i do agree he is one of the best. He can avoid that edge guarding to an extent with that. Only Three chars really have any hope off stage and thats Kirby, Jiggly and Yoshi.

Luigis only "strong" finisher would be his Usmash. His Dsmash and Fthrow have some distance but many chars have better (Fsmash doesn't seem so practice). Plus like ness, he is slow in the air. Not as light as ness but.

Thinking about this again i dont think pikachu fairs so well due to edge gaurding being so powerful. He obiously still has Powerful Tilts and combos but will suffer from being light and not having a third jump (at least he isnt slow in the air like Ness and Luigi)

EDITED IMO~
Yoshi (Combos, finishers, super armor jump)
Fox (Combos, finishers, fast, heavy weight)
Jiggly (Combos, jumps)
Ness (Combos, Finishers)
Samus (Mid weight)
Luigi (Mid weight)

Legend:

Finishers - The char can kill a foe easily (Spikes, strong smashes, easy gimps ...etc)

Fast - The Char is quick (since no one has projectiles this becomes more important imo)

Heavy weight - the char is harder to finish (due to the lack of a third jump this becomes slightly more important then normal imo)

Super Armor Jump - The frames Yoshi gets in his jump where he cannot suffer knock back (Which gives him one of the best recovery's for a polygon)

Battlecow

Play to Win
Ness' ****ty recovery matters less as a polygon, because he was so floatylight and up-B deprived that he almost always got gimped even when he was apolygonal. Sure, he gets edgeguarded 99% of the time as PNess, but he got edgeguarded 89% of the time as regular ness, so it doesn't matter to him nearly as much as it does to, say, Polygon pikachu (poor Ppikachu).

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
What you say about the difference from Pikachu to Ness is true. Pikachu suffers far more from it.

Polygon Ness Vs anyone will have a hard time recovering still because he is slow. He is light so it's easy to throw him off, and gimp him to death, especially with no Third jump variable. Ness's recovery, while predictable, was really helpful for covering distance.

Since NO ONE has a third jump the only chars who wont be getting gimped every time they get thrown off the edge are Kirby Yoshi and Jiggly. The rest of the cast have a fairly equal recovery...which is mostly based on air speed, fall speed, and the priority of the attacks they can use while jumping back (to possible ward a edge guarder) . Ness is slow (easy to defend) and Light (easy to launch).

The rest of the cast how ever also has something to highlight them (except obviously the ones below Ness)

Kirby is obviously tearing everything apart with his smashes and tilts...and also ...he can still recover lol

Yoshi can combo most of the cast very well (the only B move he can really use in a combo was Down B) and has a few strong smashes Usmash, Fsmash, Dsmash, and a Spike.

Fox is still really aggressive and since projectiles cannot be used he is harder to gimp and manipulate. His Usmash while powerful, does not take much advantage of the fact that no one has a third jump.

Pikachu still has powerful Tilts to control the air, and unlike fox has a lot more horizontal knock back attacks. A few Utilts, a Uair, and a Nair and good bye.

Falcon has his Usmash and Uair, to rack up quick damage, while having Bair, Nair, Fsmash, and a spike to help abuse the lack of a third jump.

Jiggly Can combo most of the cast and has some viable finishers in Usmash. Fsmash & Dsmash make better use of the no third jumps though. Her Nair is VERY good for gimping, especially since she can JUMP out to get you! She would be higher imo but her draw backs are too big. Being the lightest char she can still get KOd from low %s, regardless of recovery.

Looking at this i think ima lower fox a bit too, his move set doesn't take advantage of the no jumping as much as i first thought

EDITED IMO~

EDITED IMO~
Fox (Combos, fast, heavy weight)
Jiggly (Combos, jumps)
Ness (Combos, Finishers)
Samus (Mid weight)
Luigi (Mid weight)

Legend:

Super Armor Jump - The frames Yoshi gets in his jump where he cannot suffer knock back (Which gives him one of the best recovery's for a polygon)

Battlecow

Play to Win
^^ That's a list I more or less agree with; my only eh thing is the bottom three should be switched around a little bit. I just played some Polygon Ness and it was lolfunny. Totally took out some CPUs with it. I'm good now.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i would switch Luigi with DK. Otherwise, your list is fine

DK without grabs or down b..HAHAHAHA.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Lol Polygons cant grab? news to me!

that being the case luigi is still pretty bad too. Dsmash is really all he has (Usmash doesn't abuse the jump factor)

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Without grabs or UpB, DK is easily the worst. Like seriously, what does the ape have left for an approach besides Bair? Taking away his UpB is bad enough...DK without his UpB is like plastic wrap with a hole in it. It becomes too easy to tear the whole thing apart.

And then if you take away his grab...well...gosh you've pretty much disemboweled every part of his game. Techchasing: dash attack? Shield pressure: what shield pressure? Two aerials? I'll shield and roll all day son. His "Dair, DownB, or Grab" game (with threats of Grab, Dair-->Usmash, or DownB-->Punch) becomes "just his Dair" game which doesn't hold a candle to Samus's or Ness's Dair games. His SH aerials can't chase half as well as any other character's in the game.

The only real threat he has is a Uair chain to Usmash and that requires a platform, assuming by some miraculous feat of simian persuasion he convinced his opponent to sit atop it, since I refuse to believe Laggy Kong would be capable of getting them on there with what tools he still has left. All his dash pivot tricks are reduced to pivot Fsmash so everytime you see a DK dash pivot all you have to do is sit there at no risk of adverse psychological conditioning.

Actually I'm not even sure you have to fight Polygon DK. If you walk away, how is he even going to catch you? Dash attack? SH Fair/Dair/Nair aren't far reaching enough, pivoting and then doing a Bair is too slow from a run, and if you are "backed" into a corner all you have to do is double jump past him to the other side while his miserable Uair swipe takes forever to reach you. Additionally all aerials can be shielded or rolled away from in the event he is able to threaten you with one. He simply has no fast follow-ups, which were cruelly stripped from him. DK's trusty dashgrab is beyond his bread and butter, it is his soul.

On the other hand Louis can pretty easily substitute his Fair/Bair/Nair for his UpB/DownB finishers (from his Dair/Uair chains), with virtually little loss in kill potential due to everyone having a worse recovery. Keep in mind in Polygon World all horizontally killing attacks have become comparatively better while all vertically killing attacks have gotten comparatively worse since they don't benefit from worse recoveries. Which makes DK now relying on Usmash as staple finisher even more embarassing (as for combos into aerials, which every character has, Luigi and Samus both beat him handily there in both set-ups and ease of execution, same goes for smashes since DK's are lag-tacular).

If polygon tournaments were ever held, I wouldn't be surprised if match-up scenarios started arising where DK vs. another character was declared to be solved.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Since i wasn't aware of the no throw rule of polygons, I'll throw DK on the bottom...he is a bad polygon!

If only he had the spotter dodger he might be top tier :(

EDITED IMO~

S

A

Fox (Combos, fast, heavy weight)

B

Jiggly (Combos, jumps)
Ness (Combos, Finishers)

C

Samus (Mid weight)
Luigi (Mid weight)
DK (Heavy weight)

Legend:

NixxxoN

Smash Master
DK without grabs or any B move = more useless than a fishing rod in the middle of the sahara desert.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
i dont get this anvil thing lol.
fishing rod = lol desert no water/river
anvil = lol desert no forging/metal works???

asianaussie

Smash Hero
well, an anvil absorbs heat, making it impossible to be near in the day, and has absolutely no use whatsoever during the night-time or at all (you might be able to fry food on it, but seriously that's stretching it)

you could probably swat away insects or things with the fishing rod, and maybe use the string in some ingenious way

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
yeah. It seems like the situation is a lot worse (and funnier to think about) with an Anvil :p

Dont deserts get really cold at night though? Maybe its heat absorbing isnt so bad!

but anyways enough anvil talk lol

NixxxoN

Smash Master
yep the deserts are friggin cold at night so "hot jokes" arent the most appropiate, more like the dry/wet ones
what about a boat... yes a boat in the desert is sux

/offtopic

blaze3927

Smash Ace
a boat could be used as a viable shelter for shade and warmth, and depending on the boat it could have a bar/restaurant/maybe even a movie theater.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I'll bring an on-topic thread to the desert!

Thats always useful! ...well not really but either get on track xD (probably half my own fault...BAD SURRI!)

Near²

Banned via Warnings
Polygon Samus: With no B-moves or grabs, some would call her an underdog character. However, while her (its?) recovery may suffer slightly, Her critical moves- Dair, Bair, Fsmash- are totally intact, and she's far from helpless.

Actually, she's not that far from helpless.

But she's better than PDK.

Talk about your favorite Polygons here!
noobs with no updated GS codes that have polygon characters with grab and b moves

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
^^^Then it is just a texture hack. I have never seen a polygon in smash 64 that grabs/uses b moves.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
We should give some of these polygons their own names. They look different enough. For example, there's the velociraptor and the elf. And the snowman. And Sandshrew with his broken tail attacks.

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
polygon kirby looks so weird, like a stack of disks or something

no spherical shape at all

in that sense its not just a texture hack

Top Bottom