• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Poll) Would you rather have the remaining DLC be ballot picks or no?

Would you rather have the remaining DLC be ballot picks or no?

• Yes

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • No

Votes: 36 51.4%

• Total voters

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Definitely not. I want to be surprised and get "I didn't know I wanted that" picks. We never would have gotten characters like Joker or Terry with this logic and I just think it would be boring with such expected picks.

Dan

Smash Lord
Oh I voted for our purple ****** on the ballot, my point was moreso that such a small fraction of fans, especially if we remove the multiple votes, simply cannot be used aa a sample size for Ultimate when the game's got a significantly larger core audience and how some people who would vote on a new, hypothetical ballot, may not have played Smash 4 or even been old enough to have access to the ballot in the first place, 4 years is quite a number after all
Yeah, but if someone wouldn't vote on a ballot then they most likely don't care who gets in the game anyway, so the solution is to let one guy with a hard-on for FE or four executives in a Nintendo office come up with characters instead of the people who actually play the game?

To me, Smash Bros. is the video game hall of fame, and to see this FE/Piranha Plant nonsense is irritating, but apparently it doesn't matter who the character is as long is it's unexpected; it's all about the surprise over quality.

That being said I still believe restricted choices to a smaller pool like that is absurd when there are plenty of popular games that came out during or after 2015 that would get snubbed otherwise
Which is why I said a new ballot.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, but if someone wouldn't vote on a ballot then they most likely don't care who gets in the game anyway, so the solution is to let one guy with a hard-on for FE or four executives in a Nintendo office come up with characters instead of the people who actually play the game?

To me, Smash Bros. is the video game hall of fame, and to see this FE/Piranha Plant nonsense is irritating, but apparently it doesn't matter who the character is as long is it's unexpected; it's all about the surprise over quality.

Which is why I said a new ballot.
My point was moreso a new demograph that wasn't there in 2015. Had Brawl had a ballot, I wouldn't have known about it due to my internet access from 10 years ago being severely limited, and as Nintendo's target audience are casuals and/or kids, they'd want to keep that in mind.

Thing with that is quality here is extremely subjective. Like, you see people who are still mad about Hero, believing that DQ wasn't on the ballot, which we know it indeed was. And the mindset you're displaying with the FE comment doesn't make you look good, especially as 3H won the write-in ballot for TGA 2019 yet Smash didn't. To me, that says that you want characters to cater exclusively to you and that you believe whoever was 'in the ballot' was automatically one of your favourites as people can't possibly like what you don't like or the other way around. Surprise doesn't matter to me, as again, I believe we've gotten a larger pool of popular characters to pick than looking at the Ballot which if we're assuming all the top ballot choices are in now, is literally more than 20 characters.

I'd rather not go through that bull**** again, anyone who wants to pretend that people weren't ridiculously toxic about the ballot 5 years ago are outright ****ing lying, no way in hell do I want to see those morons scream and act with the maturity of 3 year olds over a video game again, with all those spammy ass twitter accounts acting more hardcore than anyone during actual elections. Hell, say what you will about Byleth, I have a few misgivings with them personally, but the negative reaction is hyperbolic as seen with the mostly positive reception online. To me, this thread seems more like an excuse to sound smart while crying about how you're not happy that the season pass didn't take your personal tastes into account. My advice is to simply wait until they announce the DLC so you won't feel burned for not knowing in advance

Oddball

Smash Lord
On a similar note, while it does state the video-game characters can join, they don't understand that some video-game characters such as Sora, Steve, Freddy Fazbear, Scorpion, and Heavy Weapons Guy are not eligible enough to be playable because of a number of reasons. Yes, they still make up terrible excuses as well.
Any "reason" why characters aren't elligible is just a terrible excuse. Nintendo has broke the fans rules or who is and who isn't elligible time and time again.

I imagine the final six would end on something like Sora, Geno, Doomguy, Dante, Steve and Crash.
Two character I really DON'T want in Smash and four that I'm rather "meh" on. No thanks. I'd rather be suprised.

And there's also proof Bayonetta didn't win the ballot and started development before it even started.
There's circumstational evidence. Let's not bring out the conspiracy theories.

I personally just want the people to get what they want.
Nah. I hate people. Why should they get anything?

Seriously though one of the big problems with the polls even the small informal ones is that you often have people saying "Let's include Geno/Waluigi/Sora/whoever because SO MANY people want them," which skews results because many of those same people don't actually want those characters themselves. It's just become a popular pick. "Everybody else supports this character, so I will too."

I've found a lot of the more enjoyable characters were ones that people didn't see coming.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
My point was moreso a new demograph that wasn't there in 2015. Had Brawl had a ballot, I wouldn't have known about it due to my internet access from 10 years ago being severely limited, and as Nintendo's target audience are casuals and/or kids, they'd want to keep that in mind.

Thing with that is quality here is extremely subjective. Like, you see people who are still mad about Hero, believing that DQ wasn't on the ballot, which we know it indeed was. And the mindset you're displaying with the FE comment doesn't make you look good, especially as 3H won the write-in ballot for TGA 2019 yet Smash didn't. To me, that says that you want characters to cater exclusively to you and that you believe whoever was 'in the ballot' was automatically one of your favourites as people can't possibly like what you don't like or the other way around. Surprise doesn't matter to me, as again, I believe we've gotten a larger pool of popular characters to pick than looking at the Ballot which if we're assuming all the top ballot choices are in now, is literally more than 20 characters.

I'd rather not go through that bull**** again, anyone who wants to pretend that people weren't ridiculously toxic about the ballot 5 years ago are outright ****ing lying, no way in hell do I want to see those morons scream and act with the maturity of 3 year olds over a video game again, with all those spammy ass twitter accounts acting more hardcore than anyone during actual elections. Hell, say what you will about Byleth, I have a few misgivings with them personally, but the negative reaction is hyperbolic as seen with the mostly positive reception online. To me, this thread seems more like an excuse to sound smart while crying about how you're not happy that the season pass didn't take your personal tastes into account. My advice is to simply wait until they announce the DLC so you won't feel burned for not knowing in advance
Remember when someone said "Don't let the furries win!" (in a Banjo & Kazooie supporting image, I believe)?

Dan

Smash Lord
And the mindset you're displaying with the FE comment doesn't make you look good, especially as 3H won the write-in ballot for TGA 2019 yet Smash didn't. To me, that says that you want characters to cater exclusively to you and that you believe whoever was 'in the ballot' was automatically one of your favourites as people can't possibly like what you don't like or the other way around. Surprise doesn't matter to me, as again, I believe we've gotten a larger pool of popular characters to pick than looking at the Ballot which if we're assuming all the top ballot choices are in now, is literally more than 20 characters.
Not at all... it's not exactly an unpopular opinion that FE has been oversaturated twice already: first with Corrin and now with Byleth. This is literally the worst possible character we could've gotten (subjective I guess), even more so than another Pokémon rep or generic enemy.

I couldn't care less about my characters; I just want the people to get what they want and stop being let down by "surprise picks"... yes, I know the majority still probably do like Byleth, but the majority will also like anything.

Again, this has nothing to do with my personal taste; there's absolutely no reason a character presentation should have 83K dislikes - that's the problem, and what I'm doing is presenting an avenue of solving it, and I'm just curious if the community would be in my favor (and I of course know this is just a microcosm of the community).

Nah. I hate people. Why should they get anything?
:laugh:

Seriously though one of the big problems with the polls even the small informal ones is that you often have people saying "Let's include Geno/Waluigi/Sora/whoever because SO MANY people want them," which skews results because many of those same people don't actually want those characters themselves. It's just become a popular pick. "Everybody else supports this character, so I will too."
I don't get that... if someone doesn't have a strong opinion of wanting a character then why does it matter? That's just another excuse for more "surprise" picks.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Y'all want surprise picks but be real, who would be more surprising than Isaac getting in as freaking DLC? You claim you wanna be surprised, but I think you just want other characters and pretend it's for some objective reason.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I imagine the final six would end on something like Sora, Geno, Doomguy, Dante, Steve and Crash..
Just to remind that we technically don't know who were the top ten of the ballot was. So the result could be that FP #6 is a ballot pick, but it's not any of these you imagined. It could be someone that you didn't think s/he is a surprisingly popular being.

And to be honest, while I do think some of them could make it in the following DLCs, the others would still be not from ballot or fan demand, like the new front runners or new characters like Byleth. I think it'd be a mixture in the end.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's not like the first fighter pass was that focused on the ballot. Only Banjo & Kazooie felt like a ballot pick.

I think the ballot is something worth keeping in mind but not as the only influence. (and Sakurai seems to agree with that idea)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Not at all... it's not exactly an unpopular opinion that FE has been oversaturated twice already: first with Corrin and now with Byleth. This is literally the worst possible character we could've gotten (subjective I guess), even more so than another Pokémon rep or generic enemy.

I couldn't care less about my characters; I just want the people to get what they want and stop being let down by "surprise picks"... yes, I know the majority still probably do like Byleth, but the majority will also like anything.

Again, this has nothing to do with my personal taste; there's absolutely no reason a character presentation should have 83K dislikes - that's the problem, and what I'm doing is presenting an avenue of solving it, and I'm just curious if the community would be in my favor (and I of course know this is just a microcosm of the community).

:laugh:

I don't get that... if someone doesn't have a strong opinion of wanting a character then why does it matter? That's just another excuse for more "surprise" picks.
Byleth's reception was still mostly positive though, this is a fact, Byleth got more dislikes than the average character, yes, but if we're using those dislikes as evidence, then we need to use the fact that the presentations have more likes than dislikes too. Again, 3H was hella popular, especially seen with TGA 2019, so again, Byleth's negative reception is overblown.

Here's how they 'fix' the Byleth situation. They announce who's in the second pasa, like how Jokee 'fixed' the Plant situation. Byleth will have zero influence on the second pass as they're not part of the second pass, the simple solution to prevent this reaction is to not buy the pass without fully knowing the contents. The whole thing is "I bought something without knowing the full content and now that I know what it was I'm disappointed!" Sakurai even said not to buy the pass if you weren't sure about it, as he considers the concept scary

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Byleth's reception was still mostly positive though, this is a fact, Byleth got more dislikes than the average character, yes, but if we're using those dislikes as evidence, then we need to use the fact that the presentations have more likes than dislikes too. Again, 3H was hella popular, especially seen with TGA 2019, so again, Byleth's negative reception is overblown.
I think it's been noted before, it's not that Byleth the character and his/her game reference doesn't fit in Smash bros in general, but the addition itself is against what the DLCs were defined to be. Interest and legitmacy are not always correlevant.

I only think if Nintendo cannot wait til Smash 6, plant piranha and the base game were still the better timing for such act.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
My top pick is one of these ballot pick, and the only one I truely cherish in my wishlist, so the answer is "yes", at least until he gets in.

After that, you can add oddballs and things I don't have on my wishlist, I wouldn't care less. You can even add characters I don't like! But gimme Isaac at long last.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I have no problem with people not having strong opinions about characters.

I just don't care for people latching onto a character because "so many other people want them." It makes one wonder how many of those other people are just repeating the same thing. It's quite possible that some of the more popular picks aren't nearly as popular as people think.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I have no problem with people not having strong opinions about characters.

I just don't care for people latching onto a character because "so many other people want them." It makes one wonder how many of those other people are just repeating the same thing. It's quite possible that some of the more popular picks aren't nearly as popular as people think.
I've wanted all the popular guys, Ridley, K Rool, Geno, Isaac, and Banjo since I've been on this website. All of these were the dudes I was gunning for in the Brawl days

---------------------------

I can't understand the mindset that leads people to say "No, I don't want the DLC to be popular characters," this is the equivalent of saying your thoughts are more important than everyone else's.

The real reason behind this is the people in here who know their most-wanted aren't popular at all

Dan

Smash Lord
Here's how they 'fix' the Byleth situation. They announce who's in the second pasa, like how Jokee 'fixed' the Plant situation. Byleth will have zero influence on the second pass as they're not part of the second pass, the simple solution to prevent this reaction is to not buy the pass without fully knowing the contents. The whole thing is "I bought something without knowing the full content and now that I know what it was I'm disappointed!" Sakurai even said not to buy the pass if you weren't sure about it, as he considers the concept scary
People were not disappointed in Byleth because they bought the pass, but simply because it was another FE rep. I do agree 100% though that they should announce all the characters beforehand... the Smash roster is too precious. One of my previous polls was actually if people would just want the fighter identities spilled outright, and the majority of voters ending up being in favor of just knowing the characters beforehand.

The real reason behind this is the people in here who know their most-wanted aren't popular at all
I think it's actually that they don't have a most-wanted or don't care about them very much, thusly preferring the "surprise factor" over all else.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I can't understand the mindset that leads people to say "No, I don't want the DLC to be popular characters," this is the equivalent of saying your thoughts are more important than everyone else's.

You can't understand that some people actually are able to enjoy things regardless of whether they're popular or not? Do you ever have your own opinions or do you have to go check and see what others think before deciding you like something?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
You can't understand that some people actually are able to enjoy things regardless of whether they're popular or not? Do you ever have your own opinions or do you have to go check and see what others think before deciding you like something?
But they're not saying that, they're saying that they would rather them not be popular. By declaring "no, I don't want ballot picks" what they're saying is that they would enjoy things less if other people want them more

Oddball

Smash Lord
But they're not saying that, they're saying that they would rather them not be popular. By declaring "no, I don't want ballot picks" what they're saying is that they would enjoy things less if other people want them more
Some people are just contrary like that.

Just like you'll find people that latch on to whatever's popular, you'll also find those that hate something for no other reason that because it's popular.

Personally, I'm fine with one character being from a poll, I just don't think they should all be. Then it gets predicatbale and where's the fun in that?

Dan

Smash Lord
Personally, I'm fine with one character being from a poll, I just don't think they should all be. Then it gets predicatbale and where's the fun in that?
The fun is actually getting the characters that the majority (who cared enough to vote) want.

But yeah, even though FP1 didn't feel super ballot/request-friendly Ultimate has been a good mix overall.

Top Bottom