• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Poll] Who do you plan to start Ultimate with (original 8/starting roster, of course)?

So, who will it be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm mostly doing this for studies, and just to see what the preferences of people here are. If you want, explain your pick as well.

For me, I have to go with Link if I really had to pick one character, because..there's a bond between us.

Edit: Let's say you couldn't pick anyone outside the original 8. You have 8 options, so who would be your go-to pick? I'll set this to December 7th, so I can have definite results upon release.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I wrestled with this for a little bit, initially I would have picked Captain Falcon but... I think it'll be :ultdk:, since as the original 8 stand as of Smash 4, he's my favorite to play as, and playing as a heavyweight will be good practice for the King.

I half-considered just scanning :ultcloud: to get started, but, eh... that sorta takes the fun out of it. It'll be more rewarding to unlock everyone naturally.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Donkey Kong! He has been my go-to player in every Smash game. He is my favorite Nintendo hero afterall. That being said if the amiibo thing is true then I'm tapping all my amiibo that day and unlocking all the characters. Too bad I'll still have to unlock :ultkrool: the normal way because his amiibo won't release on launch.

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
Assuming :ultkirby: isn't trash, I feel as if he defiantly is the most basic character you can get. Most of his normal moves are straight forward. They hit and launch opponents in the direction of the attack you utilize generally speaking. He also has many jumps and an incredible recovery allowing me to ease my way into the new mechanics of Ultimate.

Once I feel like I got a feel for Smash Ultimate, I will eventually make the switch to :ultpichu:. I might decide to use :ultpikachu: instead if my boy is even more trash in Ultimate than he is in Melee.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
If the Best Buy amiibo method is true? Robin.

If it isn't? Mario, I guess. Can't go wrong with him.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
It's more or less tradition at this point for me to start with Link in every Smash Bros. game.
One of my favourite video game characters, and the first fighter I ever truly mained in the series. (Smash Bros. 64).

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Pikachu, started as him in the N64 game and he helped me unlock a lot of characters through the years of each Smash game, so why stop that tradition now? :ultpikachu:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Might as well try Samus or DK and see who fits me better until I get Pit.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I play as Samus more but this time I'll go with Kirby, so that I can devour and gain the power of every character I unlock and become invinsible by the time I reach Isabelle.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Haha I've already planned this out. DK from the start since he's the only big boy, stick with him until I get Bowser, then move to Manondorf when I get him, then realize I have no idea how/when echoes are going to be unlocked and eventually move to Ridley (quite the gap) then finally King K Rool.

(Speaking of which...how will we get echoes? Will they be unlocked alongside their source character or after you have everyone else?)

Goosey_021

Smash Cadet
Out of the original 8, Fox.
But I really hope the amiibo leak is true so I can get straight into a Falcon ditto. And then unlock Falco.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Most likely :ultmario: as I plan on eventually trying out :ultdoc:, but I might have a go with :ultdk: too.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Haha I've already planned this out. DK from the start since he's the only big boy, stick with him until I get Bowser, then move to Manondorf when I get him, then realize I have no idea how/when echoes are going to be unlocked and eventually move to Ridley (quite the gap) then finally King K Rool.

(Speaking of which...how will we get echoes? Will they be unlocked alongside their source character or after you have everyone else?)
I'm hoping they get their own fight since they at least can have their own square.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’m disappointed it’s the starting 8 instead of 12, otherwise I could’ve used my main:ultness: through unlocking everyone else.

I’m going with :ultdk:, I’ve gotten the hang of him in Sm4sh and he looks even better here.

Last edited:

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I think I'll try Link with his new bombs, but else, I'll play as Mario or DK (love big characters).

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
:ultfox: Fox all the way he was my first main ever since Smash bros 64 and my first furry crush playing Star Fox 64. As for my other mains I'll have to unlock them first so out of the original 8 I'm going with :ultfox: and :ultyoshi:

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Ah yes, I made a topic like this MONTHS ago...

But of course it has to be my boi :yoshi:
Yeah, had to bring this back for the sake of consistency...

I’m disappointed it’s the starting 8 instead of 12, otherwise I could’ve used my main:ultness: through unlocking everyone else.

I’m going with :ultdk:, I’ve gotten the hang of him in Sm4sh and he looks even better here.
I might start another poll for unlockable characters from every specific game (like Ness is in the same option as Luigi) to help you out there. Maybe by the end of this week.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Well, the unlockable 4 may be starters too. It was kind of vague.
It depends. I'll change it if I see that it shows the original 12, but I only went with 8, as they seem to be grouped together a lot (Switch bundle, menu, etc.).

JIrish780

Smash Rookie
Hmmm, who's that fellow in the tie right next to this text? I bet he'd be a fun way to get started in the new game for me!

Iridium

Smash Hero
Just going to bring this back, for I need more results to keep track of.

Top Bottom