• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

POLL: Which revealed Assist Trophy do you wish would've been playable?

Which revealed Assit Trophy do you wish would've been playable?

• Total voters

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Chrom had room to be requested. He was known to non-Smash people because of
1) The "leak" that had gotten people to expect he would happen
2) Actually appearing in Lucina's trailer saying he would get his chance another day
3) Awakening being hot potatoes at the time due to revitalizing the franchise

Chrom's deconfirmation still had room for hope and possible appearance in Smash. If anything, that tease of him being on the trailer but then it being Lucina fed a lot of Chrom fans into asking for him further.

Lyn never got traction post-Brawl because for every smash she's gotten confirmed as assist trophy extremely early on. I doubt many people voted for Lyn in the poll as a result of her already being an assist trophy. That's why despite being a hyper popular FE character, people instead lean towards Celica or Anna or whoever else hasn't gotten shafted yet.
Sure, Awakening, and thus Chrom, had the relevancy advantage, but he didn't get in while Awakening was fresh. He only even got in because he could be made into an echo fighter.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
#1 is Midna. She absolutely should be playable after her amazingness in Hyrule Warriors.

After her, I wouldn't have minded seeing Ashley and Waluigi in. Takamaru would also have been really cool. I also would have considered Knuckles after Tails got in first.

But yeah, I really wanted Midna to finally make the jump.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Bomberman and Krystal. I’ve wanted them both in Smash as playable characters for so long..

UserKev

Smash Champion
I voted Ghirahim, Knuckles, Rodin and Ashley for the Ashley supporters.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Ashley, Midna, Takamaru, Lyn, and Waluigi (didn't select Waluigi in the poll) I was all hoping would be playable. Takamaru and Midna the most...those two stung a little at E3 but with the amount of content already in the game, their disconfirmations didn't hit too hard.

Hoping for Skull Kid and Impa, who were my two other wanted Zelda characters. As for Takamaru, Ashley, and Waluigi, they could get in next time. Lyn and Midna? Never at this point to be honest.

StormC

Smash Hero
I wanted Bomberman since Brawl but I pretty much never expected him. Seeing the AT stung a bit. So close yet so far.

Can't complain with how amazing the game is otherwise. But I'd definitely hope he gets in the next Smash.

MacPingas

Smash Rookie
Shovel Knight as assist trophy was the most painful part of the last Direct to me, but at least we have an indie character in Smash. Also, it would be nice if they'd add more characters from WarioWare series as assist trophies.

By the way, I can't imagine the Moon as a playable character. :confused:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I've wanted Midna + Wolf Link as a playable character since the buildup to Brawl. And the fact that Zelda hasn't seen a legitimate newcomer since Melee (since Toon Link was kind of just a revamped Young Link) makes it all the more surprising she was never put in.

The Zelda cast decisions in Smash 4 confuse me in general. They all kept their Twilight Princess looks despite the release of Skyward Sword, their movesets were kept relatively intact aside from Zelda and Sheik getting new downBs, and they didn't make a single newcomer from any of the series' villains (Skull Kid, Ghirahim, Vaati, etc.) or Midna.

Sin Slash

Smash Rookie
The Legendary Starfy was such a fun game. It's a shame to see him still as an assist trophy. I guess he could've been a sort of Game Boy/DS rep

TheCrimsonSquid

Smash Cadet
Ghirahim, hands down. I honestly feel like he was robbed of a spot in 4, and I was hoping that maybe they'd fix that in this installment. Now I'm left relatively hopeless that he'll ever get in Smash.

His only shot now is either returning in another mainline Zelda game or a Skyward Sword remaster renewing interest.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Waluigi of course, not only do I legit love the character, but I really do feel like he deserves a spot with the other 3 plumbers, just feels weird not having him. I still have hope he might just sneak in, but I'm not gonna get into that here.

*puts up flame shield*

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
Shovel Knight and Krystal would’ve been great. I don’t care for Waluigi, I’d take Ridley over Waluigi any day.

Standlord

Smash Cadet
Alucard all the way.

1. Alucard
2. Shovel Knight
3. Lyn (with something close to project M moveset)
4. Krystal
5. Takamaru
6. Midna (true form)
7. Zero

---. Knuckles (not really, just for the memes, but he would be an easy clone)

In an alternate universe, Andross too

Smithn

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4332 5240 6154
Definitely Bomberman. He would've brought a lot of good music too. Maybe next game.

D

Deleted member

Surprised Alucard is doing as well as he is TBH. Double the percentage than Ghiram, who I guess dropped in popularity over the years perhaps.

I think most of the characters that are basically like mini characters would be pretty cool as characters though. With a few exceptions, but few they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi, because he'd be hilarious to play
Ashley, because we could use more magic users. Zelda and Robin are lookin' real lonely.
Shovel Knight, because he's an amazing creation that, I dare say, brought indie games to the forefront of people's minds.
Alucard, because c'mon. He's just plain cool.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
Ashely and Waluigi? Seriously guys? Zero would have been great, I always wanted him playable.

D

Deleted member

Bomberman by far. It warms my heart that he’s currently leading the polls.

To address the concern regarding “shallow” move set potentials, he can use his bombs with a trap-based move set. Much like the games, Bomberman can strategically place bombs to trap his opponents, catching unaware fighters. He also has a wide variety of bombs he can use. Like for example, Ice Bombs can help freeze the opponents. Not to mention he can use other stuff outside of bombs anyway, he has Charaboms that he can send out and his animal friends Louie and Tirras can also get in.

He comes from the iconic multiplayer gaming franchise that has been around before Mario Kart. On top of that, he has been on most gaming systems including the Virtual Boy (quite the accomplishment for a third-party-franchise, was part of the first ever HD game in Hi-Ten Bomberman, and was the franchise revived by Konami for the Switch’s launch, a decision that got Super Bomberman R over a million copies worldwide.

I’ve wanted him since 2008 when I first started to support characters. With everyone else out the way, he’s the only character left I care to actively support. Hopefully next game will finally be his chance, especially since that the relative wasteland that will be Smash 6 speculation provides plenty of opportunity for him to grow.

TheCrimsonSquid

Smash Cadet
Bomberman by far. It warms my heart that he’s currently leading the polls.

To address the concern regarding “shallow” move set potentials, he can use his bombs with a trap-based move set. Much like the games, Bomberman can strategically place bombs to trap his opponents, catching unaware fighters. He also has a wide variety of bombs he can use. Like for example, Ice Bombs can help freeze the opponents. Not to mention he can use other stuff outside of bombs anyway, he has Charaboms that he can send out and his animal friends Louie and Tirras can also get in.

He comes from the iconic multiplayer gaming franchise that has been around before Mario Kart. On top of that, he has been on most gaming systems including the Virtual Boy (quite the accomplishment for a third-party-franchise, was part of the first ever HD game in Hi-Ten Bomberman, and was the franchise revived by Konami for the Switch’s launch, a decision that got Super Bomberman R over a million copies worldwide.

I’ve wanted him since 2008 when I first started to support characters. With everyone else out the way, he’s the only character left I care to actively support. Hopefully next game will finally be his chance, especially since that the relative wasteland that will be Smash 6 speculation provides plenty of opportunity for him to grow.
The next game is most likely going to be a reboot. Sakurai stated that he had the choice between making a new Smash from the ground up with a roster a third Smash 4's size or developing Ultimate. He went with the latter, but of course the obvious implication is that the next Smash will have to be the former.

Which means that, tragically, Bomberman may well never get in Smash.

D

Deleted member

The next game is most likely going to be a reboot. Sakurai stated that he had the choice between making a new Smash from the ground up with a roster a third Smash 4's size or developing Ultimate. He went with the latter, but of course the obvious implication is that the next Smash will have to be the former.

Which means that, tragically, Bomberman may well never get in Smash.
Yes there will be a reboot, but there also has to be newcomers that bring people in, not just veterans. As for the reboots, who are they going to choose for newcomers? Mostly new series. Considering how successful third-parties are, you can bet new third-parties are coming, especially if Nintendo keeps improving relationships with third-parties. If anything, a reboot would improve his shot seeing as existing series will struggle to keep theirs characters.

Bomberman definitely has a shot, especially since fans will inevitably gather around characters like they always do.

TheCrimsonSquid

Smash Cadet
Yes there will be a reboot, but there also has to be newcomers that bring people in, not just veterans. As for the reboots, who are they going to choose for newcomers? Mostly new series. Considering how successful third-parties are, you can bet new third-parties are coming, especially if Nintendo keeps improving relationships with third-parties. If anything, a reboot would improve his shot seeing as existing series will struggle to keep theirs characters.

Bomberman definitely has a shot, especially since fans will inevitably gather around characters like they always do.
See, I don't think it's going to happen that way at all. While I don't think the reboot would just be all veterans, the fanbase is NOT going to react well to having a roster that's so much smaller than Ultimate. The fanbase isn't going to rally behind third parties that weren't in Ultimate like Bomberman, they're going to be pushing for getting immensely popular characters like Sonic and Mega Man back. If Bomberman does ever get in, I don't think there's any way it's going to be in the initial reboot. Maybe in the game after or the one after that.

D

Deleted member

See, I don't think it's going to happen that way at all. While I don't think the reboot would just be all veterans, the fanbase is NOT going to react well to having a roster that's so much smaller than Ultimate. The fanbase isn't going to rally behind third parties that weren't in Ultimate like Bomberman, they're going to be pushing for getting immensely popular characters like Sonic and Mega Man back. If Bomberman does ever get in, I don't think there's any way it's going to be in the initial reboot. Maybe in the game after or the one after that.
Let's be honest, over half of the characters in Smash are unnecessary towards selling the game by themselves. You could axe around fifty characters in the reboot and the game would still sell like gangbusters like always. That's because there aren't that many characters that absolutely must be in for Smash to sell. Yes, cuts will sting but they are part of fighting games and we are not going to see riots over it. Besides, Sakurai has warned us a reboot is happening so that will help temper expectations for the roster size anyway and besides, DLC will also help increase the game's roster size anyway.

Also keep in mind that Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 rebooted the roster, the base game had twenty-one newcomers out of thirty-six characters and that's not factoring DLC and the Ultimate expansion. Capcom themselves declared it a financial success so rebooting a series is not the death knell, even for a cross-over. A reboot getting a double-digit amount of newcomers is not unlikely. If say Smash Ultimate's roster has seventy-six characters and you cut forty-seven characters, how many characters Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 has, that gives us twenty-nine veterans. If we assume the reboot roster will only have thirty-five characters, that allows for six newcomers, enough for a third-party like Bomberman to squeeze in.

Third-parties are going to be a major part of Smash from here on out. Smash is no longer just a Nintendo-orientated fighter, it's an all-gaming fighter. I would bet on the next game branding itself explicitly as that.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Midna is by far my most wanted newcomer! I would've taken her in a playable role in any form, paired with Wolf Link, solo imp form, Twili Form I'll be happy!

While as an assist trophy, it's not particularly a bad thing cuz I know Sakurai can't put everyone in the game, but it's very bittersweet that I'll seldom see her while I'm playing, especially since I rarely use items.

Still kind of hoping for Twili Midna as an echo fighter of Zelda but not holding my breath.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I went with Waluigi and Krystal. I would've LOVED to see Krystal playable but alas wasn't meant to be...Waluigi I also wouldn't mind (but wasn't clamoring for) but out of that list there's no one else I would really desire to be playable in any capacity. Maybe Ashley just to make her fans happy.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Waluigi
Bomberman
Midna
Krystal
Shovel Knight
Knuckles
Lyndis

Moon (why? just imagining those down smashes brings a smile on my face. (but seriously the temptation to pick the most impossible character was too much))

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Ashley my top choice far and above all others here~

IMO though many of the AT's would have made better roster choices then some of the ones we have now but what can you do :/

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
I mean, everyone says Waluigi keeps getting shafted, but when you think about it, Lyn also got super shafted.

For Brawl, the most relevant and popular characters for FE at the time were Lyn and Ike. Lyn got assist trophy'd while Ike was made playable. Then instead of there being any chance for Lyn in future installments, she still got instantly stuck under assist trophy status.

It's more tragic when you consider the context of FEH, where Lyn was voted along with Lucina, Ike and Roy as one of the most popular characters. And then FEW where she, along with Celica, was one of the only characters that wasn't from shadow dragon or a 3DS game.
But nope, all this popularity for Lyn and nope, still an assist trophy while we still get yet another clone of Marth's moveset. Which leaves us in a place where we can't really demand or ask for Lyn or other FE characters without everyone else getting pissed at "more fire emblem characters", while regardless of how many Mario characters there are people still feel free to demand Waluigi.

And that's how Lyn, despite being massively popular in her franchise, more so than Robin or Corrin or Chrom or Marth, doesn't really have a shadow of a chance at being playable.
Chrom had room to be requested. He was known to non-Smash people because of
1) The "leak" that had gotten people to expect he would happen
2) Actually appearing in Lucina's trailer saying he would get his chance another day
3) Awakening being hot potatoes at the time due to revitalizing the franchise

Chrom's deconfirmation still had room for hope and possible appearance in Smash. If anything, that tease of him being on the trailer but then it being Lucina fed a lot of Chrom fans into asking for him further.

Lyn never got traction post-Brawl because for every smash she's gotten confirmed as assist trophy extremely early on. I doubt many people voted for Lyn in the poll as a result of her already being an assist trophy. That's why despite being a hyper popular FE character, people instead lean towards Celica or Anna or whoever else hasn't gotten shafted yet.
You make a good case for Lyn. Being quite honest, she deserved being playable a long time ago. Maybe as soon as Brawl. But that being said... Another FE character is not what Smash needs now. I like Lyn, and it pains me to say, no thanks, there's not space or need for her now :(. If things were different, I would be supporting her, too.

As for my votes: Takamaru, Midna, Ghirahim, Waluigi, and a secret character no one will ever guess.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
You make a good case for Lyn. Being quite honest, she deserved being playable a long time ago. Maybe as soon as Brawl. But that being said... Another FE character is not what Smash needs now. I like Lyn, and it pains me to say, no thanks, there's not space or need for her now :(. If things were different, I would be supporting her, too.

As for my votes: Takamaru, Midna, Ghirahim, Waluigi, and a secret character no one will ever guess.
I know ur secret lul ;)

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Ashley, Bomberman, Chef Kawasaki (why not XD), Knuckles, Moon and Nikki.

Chef Kawasaki is just an enemy/helper, I know it won't happen, though it would be hilarious.
I voted moon as a joke, obviously it can't be playable (you don't say?)

and I totally forgot to vote Krystal :mad088:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Waluigi, Takamaru, Knuckles, Chef Kawasaki (YES, imagine a fighter using plates, pans and cooking stuff!), Rodin and Samurai Goroh.
Especially Waluigi and Takamaru

edit: woops sorry I missed the 1-4 picks. Then I guess cut out Samurai Goroh and Rodin

Last edited:

aarchak

Smash Ace
Wow, still no votes on Kapp'n or Hammer Bro. These two are sad nobody wants them playable. Even Dr. Kawashima has 1 vote.

Top Bottom