• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

POLL: Which revealed Assist Trophy do you wish would've been playable?

Which revealed Assit Trophy do you wish would've been playable?

• Total voters

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I thought this would be an interesting idea for a poll. I mainly decided to do this because for two reasons. A) I want to see how close in popularity Ashley comes to Waluigi. Her fanbase has definitely grown over the years, so I just wanna set how close it is to others. B) I am curious who the most popular confirmed Assist is after those two. I'm guessing it will be someone like Zero or Shovel Knight, but who knows. Also, I'm not doing this to try to bash Sakurai for not putting these characters in the game. I'm satisfied with all the work he has put in, I just am curious about this question.

And also, please only select 1-4 Assist Trophies. I tried to be a limit on it but it won't let me change it for some reason.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
There's a fair few:

Waluigi and Bomberman being two of my personal most wanted.

I feel Midna and Ghirahim would have made for some interesting Zelda options.

Samurai Goroh has been the only F-Zero character I've ever cared about so him too.

On the Pokéball front; Meowth is the only Pokémon rep I've ever strongly rooted for, but Abra and Vulpix are some of my favourite Pokémon.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Ashley, Waluigi, and Bomberman.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ashley, Bomberman, Lyn and Samurai Goroh

starting to think Sakurai doesn't like katanas...

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Sorry for the extra votes. Just count Waluigi, Alucard, Nikki and Shovel Knight. I didn't read the OP soon enough, and couldn't change my vote when I did.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The fact that Nintendo Land can have a Murasame minigame but Smash can't have a playable Takamaru is ridiculous.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ashley, Bomberman, Lyn and Samurai Goroh

starting to think Sakurai doesn't like katanas...
Yet he’ll allow a Killing Edge and Death Scythe to be in the game...also godly bows

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
None really to be honest though I do admit Ashley would had been a pretty unique fighter and yet another rep for WarioWare. Guess I'll say her. I can honestly sympathize with the Ashley fans who wanted her. I can see why the little witch is rather popular. :)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
any of the zelda characters really, but a lot of the characters i want havent even made assist trophy

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
As expected, Waluigi is in the lead, with Ashley and Bomberman as close contenders.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Had to choose Alucard and Ghirahim for sure. After that it gets a bit hard to pick anyone for the last 2 slots because there are a lot of choices that are nice.

Alucard has always looked so absurdly awesome to me. I still wish to play Castlevania Symphony of the Night. Alucard just looks so good when moving around and he has a bunch of interesting things going for him. I never even considered him being in Smash before because I figured Simon would have to get in before Alucard so I just kinda tossed it out of my brain. However now that Simon is in and I got to see Alucard, I really want him in... Of course, if he isn't going to have a good moveset and just mimic simon sort of like Dark Samus did with Samus, then I probably wouldn't want him to be playable if that's what it took for him to be playable. After all, Dark Samus had some neat looking moves when Dark Samus was an assist trophy, but now Dark Samus is just a Samus clone, instead of having phazon based moves with more speed. Anywho, I'll hope for Alucard next smash I guess.

Ghirahim is a sword user with a projectile, nice looking style, and he's just an entertaining character in general. I'd love to have played him. He'd be very likely to be a main/secondary. He's one of the best parts of Skyward Sword.

Krystal I picked because I love playing all the spacies, and I like the looks of Star Fox characters in general. I like Krystal, but she's not a "must have" character. She might have been in the only Star Fox game I've played (Star Fox Assault), but I only remember her for her voice sounding nice and her basically being the "smart rational" character of the group.

Midna is mainly because I want an excuse to play with Wolf Link. However, playing as Midna just by herself would be pretty fun too. I have fond memories of playing The Legend of Midna so many times.

There's a bunch more I'd want, but OP only wanted 1-4 picks.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Krystal and Bomberman, who I have wanted in Smash ever since Brawl. Seeing them as Assist Trophies was a huge disappointment.

D

Deleted member

I voted for several characters, but Zero, Alucard, & Knuckles in particular.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I voted for more than Bomberman, but really, to me the only robbing was of Bomberman.
The fact that Nintendo Land can have a Murasame minigame but Smash can't have a playable Takamaru is ridiculous.
Well luckily for you Nintendo Land is dead and it's never coming back.

And I cry often for it. That game was incredible. Far better than Mii Sports. And certainly better than the not-in-box 1-2 Switch.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Crap, I forgot to vote for Goroh.

But yeah, Waluigi, Krystal, & Goroh are the only ones I really want playable.

Ashley, Takamaru, & Bomberman I don’t care as much but deserve to be fighters.

Last edited:

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Definitely Zero.

I love swordfighters, and Zero is a blast to play in Mega Man X4, his moves would've translated perfectly into Smash.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Moon, Ashley, Bomberman, Nikki & Shovel Knight

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The top four that I chose were Bomberman, Midna, Ashley, and Waluigi in that order with regards to priority. Bomberman still kind of hurts, but at least we did end up with Simon Belmont and Snake, so Konami has a lot going for them. Midna is my most wanted Zelda newcomer, so yeah, she had to be a choice. Ashley was a character I supported after E3 and wanted her playable (Or at least some WarioWare rep if not her). Finally Waluigi just kind of feels like he should be in the game at this point with everyone else. I'd also love for my more meme focused friends to shut up about him.

But there are several honorable mentions to that list. Lyn is my favorite Fire Emblem character other than Hector funnily enough, so I'd love to see Fire Emblem 7 get that representation. Ghirahim was a big character I wanted last game and still want now. Shovel Knight would be fun, even though I don't think he necessarily deserves the spot. Krystal could have a need staff based move set as well.

Then Alucard, Zero, and Knuckles are characters I would love to see, but the game already has a lot going for Castlevania, Mega Man, and Sonic respectively.

I'm not a huge fan of the trend of including these assist trophies with complex move sets though. I like them when they give attention to the more generic enemies or parts of Nintendo that don't make much sense as actually playable characters. I know for many of them it's Assist or nothing, but seeing how complex some of the move sets are I can't help but feel a tinge of pain.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I voted before reading the OP, so I only voted for Ashley, haha. However, if I'd read ahead, I would've also voted for Waluigi and Bomberman, completing the trifecta of awesome characters who got the short end of the stick.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Just bomberman, really. I'm pretty happy with the assist trophies so far otherwise. They all seem to fit really well.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Why don't enough people want to play as Rathalos? He's a giant dragon! That would be amazing! Also forgot to pick the Moon, would be an amazing character with an incredibly unique moveset.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Takamaru’s my main pick

Part of me just wants to see how Sakurai could give Pong (Color TV Game 15) a compelling moveset though ;)

Shade Vortex

Smash Rookie
NNID
ShadeVortex
3DS FC
3179-6062-5596
Bomberman is my number 1 on this list. Like no joke, when Smash Ultimate was announced, Bomberman was at the top of "who I've always wanted added to Smash" list.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
got to go with lyn, although I am very curious as to how pong/color tv game and moon would play.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Waluigi, I think, has been shafted harder than anyone else. Krystal too, but not quite on the WAH's level. A lot (not all) of the other AT's had no chance to begin with or aren't, er, important enough to be playable.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I mean, everyone says Waluigi keeps getting shafted, but when you think about it, Lyn also got super shafted.

For Brawl, the most relevant and popular characters for FE at the time were Lyn and Ike. Lyn got assist trophy'd while Ike was made playable. Then instead of there being any chance for Lyn in future installments, she still got instantly stuck under assist trophy status.

It's more tragic when you consider the context of FEH, where Lyn was voted along with Lucina, Ike and Roy as one of the most popular characters. And then FEW where she, along with Celica, was one of the only characters that wasn't from shadow dragon or a 3DS game.
But nope, all this popularity for Lyn and nope, still an assist trophy while we still get yet another clone of Marth's moveset. Which leaves us in a place where we can't really demand or ask for Lyn or other FE characters without everyone else getting pissed at "more fire emblem characters", while regardless of how many Mario characters there are people still feel free to demand Waluigi.

And that's how Lyn, despite being massively popular in her franchise, more so than Robin or Corrin or Chrom or Marth, doesn't really have a shadow of a chance at being playable.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I mean, everyone says Waluigi keeps getting shafted, but when you think about it, Lyn also got super shafted.

For Brawl, the most relevant and popular characters for FE at the time were Lyn and Ike. Lyn got assist trophy'd while Ike was made playable. Then instead of there being any chance for Lyn in future installments, she still got instantly stuck under assist trophy status.

It's more tragic when you consider the context of FEH, where Lyn was voted along with Lucina, Ike and Roy as one of the most popular characters. And then FEW where she, along with Celica, was one of the only characters that wasn't from shadow dragon or a 3DS game.
But nope, all this popularity for Lyn and nope, still an assist trophy while we still get yet another clone of Marth's moveset. Which leaves us in a place where we can't really demand or ask for Lyn or other FE characters without everyone else getting pissed at "more fire emblem characters", while regardless of how many Mario characters there are people still feel free to demand Waluigi.

And that's how Lyn, despite being massively popular in her franchise, more so than Robin or Corrin or Chrom or Marth, doesn't really have a shadow of a chance at being playable.
Waluigi is also from a franchise that was not a dying niche during Brawl's development. As for Fire Emblem, Lyn may be more popular in the context of FEH, but unless I'm wrong, Chrom was more requested for Smash, even after his deconfirmation.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Waluigi is also from a franchise that was not a dying niche during Brawl's development. As for Fire Emblem, Lyn may be more popular in the context of FEH, but unless I'm wrong, Chrom was more requested for Smash, even after his deconfirmation.
Chrom had room to be requested. He was known to non-Smash people because of
1) The "leak" that had gotten people to expect he would happen
2) Actually appearing in Lucina's trailer saying he would get his chance another day
3) Awakening being hot potatoes at the time due to revitalizing the franchise

Chrom's deconfirmation still had room for hope and possible appearance in Smash. If anything, that tease of him being on the trailer but then it being Lucina fed a lot of Chrom fans into asking for him further.

Lyn never got traction post-Brawl because for every smash she's gotten confirmed as assist trophy extremely early on. I doubt many people voted for Lyn in the poll as a result of her already being an assist trophy. That's why despite being a hyper popular FE character, people instead lean towards Celica or Anna or whoever else hasn't gotten shafted yet.

Top Bottom