• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll - Most important matchup to learn

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Hello -Insert Character Board Here-,

I'm conducting a character-wide poll about each character's most important matchup. This is simply out of curiosity of the current metagame and every person's stance on their character.

Each person get's 1 vote, regardless of character board, your first vote will be the only one counted. So please only vote for your main character. Make's my life easier if I'm not having to triple-check everyone.

Please keep in mind this isn't your most difficult matchup. I want to hear your most important matchup. There is a slight, but significant difference in this. If your worst matchup is Jigglypuff - do you consider Jigglypuff an important matchup to actually learn? Doubtful. So please vote for the most IMPORTANT matchup.

Of course, your most important matchup may be your hardest one. But just keep the above in mind.

You can vote now if you wish, and if you cannot find this topic in your main's board. Please wait as I must wait 30 seconds between each thread to post a topic. I am going in alphabetical order and I will reach your main eventually.

Thank you.

SuSa.

EDIT:
NidtendoFreak - N/A - Didn't give own vote
Teh Brettster - N/A - Gave two options
Blubolouis - Meta Knight
theeboredone - Meta Knight
Ussi - Meta Knight || Changed vote page 2
san3711 - Meta Knight
AN(M)ist - Meta Knight
Rikter - Meta Knight
MasterKurei - Meta Knight
Anaky - Meta Knight || May have voted in another board
-RedX- - Meta Knight
metroid1117 - Meta Knight

lush

Smash Rookie
For marth, I'd go with fox.

Fox is a very common character, he's very good, and the matchup is fairly even. Even though Marth's spacing is very important in all his matchups, with fox's speed, it puts it to the test.

edit: I decided fox's was grammatically correct over foxes... lol.

SUPER edit, wrong game... I should delete this... buttt....

Being a Marth player in Brawl as well, and my brother being and Ike player, I'd say the Marth matchup for Ike is a good one to know. Marth is overall faster and better in many ways. Ike needs to learn patience in this matchup to out space the spacer. Because he won't beat him with speed... delete this if nobody finds it valid...

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Answer for Ike board: MK.
Answer for nearly ever single character board: MK.
Answer for MK board: Ditto Match.

/massamountoftopics.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
I'd say MK cause if you wanna stand a chance in a tournament, you gotta know him but...

I say marth, imho once you've learned this MU you'll get what "spacing" means, and you'll learn how bad Ike's recovery is =D

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hm...there are plenty of MKs, Snakes, and Diddies around...I'll go with MK simply because if you do not know the match up, you will get 3 stocked no sweat. There are a lot of things Ike needs to be aware of when it comes to MK's ability to gimp and combo you off stage.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Answer for Ike board: MK.
Answer for nearly ever single character board: MK.
Answer for MK board: Ditto Match.

/massamountoftopics.
Nice job not only being wrong (so far), but being wrong again (so far), and for maybe being right.

And STILL not voting.

:troll:

Probably Snake or Diddy. They're beatable and they're abundant.
Pick 1

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Snake

Not ******** like MK where you HAVE to be leagues ahead to win, but difficult due to the natures of both characters. Need both juggling ability mastered and top notch spacing.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Nice job not only being wrong (so far), but being wrong again (so far), and for maybe being right.

And STILL not voting.

My vote was in the first comment, though I didn't word it well enough to make that clear. And it should be MK for most boards. MK is the most common character, with the most wins, nobody has the advantage over him, and doesn't really have any bad stages unless you want to argue FD as one. Even then, it mainly only in certain MUs. Most of the time it doesn't matter if you have a worse MU: MK is most likely going to be your most reoccurring foe. The only easy exception I can think of is if it's an easy counter to your character, to the point that people may try to CP with said character even if they don't really know how to use them.

EDIT: And I prefer the name "Niddo". :D

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Seems some people here are voting Diddy or Snake simply because the MK MU is so difficult it's not worth learning by comparison. That's what I'm gathering anyways. What point is there in learning Snake or Diddy if you're just going to get knocked out by the first decent MK you face in the bracket (more common than Diddy or Snake, let's not kid ourselves)?

Vote: MK.

:248:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
By some people you mean "about 3 boards out of the lot" Nys. lol.

I can't wait to see the topic summarizing all of this if the trend keeps up. "Well, I'm anti-ban, and this data clearly shows that...er...."

lush

Smash Rookie
To further comment on my error from earlier (lol I thought I was in melee gd of all places haha) but I believe that the top tier is and will always be the best matchup to learn. Because Brawl seems most definitely like MK will be the end all answer, and while there could be some debate amongst the top in melee, fox would probably always be the best choice.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
By some people you mean "about 3 boards out of the lot" Nys. lol.
I just meant some people here in Ike boards, lol. Brett and Ussi didn't vote MK and both gave the impression that it was mainly because a good MK is borderline unbeatable for Ike, while Snake and Diddy aren't so bad, but still almost as common... in some regions.

:248:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Because there is more risk playing MK in comparison to Diddy and Snake, I'd have to go with MK. You have to be aware of what can hurt you, and what moves to use. You can definitely get away with stuff vs the other two, and not end up getting yourself killed.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
MK is most common, and it's the matchup that takes the most time. Strict timing and very good move choices are needed.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Most Important as well as hardest: Meta-Knight

More specifically: dealing with MKs tornado, shuttle loop, dair, groundspeed (the 4 biggest annoyance for me).

Rikter

Smash Cadet
If I had to base this of of the only Tournament I was able to go to I would say Falco because I fought more of them than any other high tier character. If I based it off of who I can actually get the chance and/or have to play against the most it would be Captain Falcon.

Realistically though Meta Knight feels the more threatening to me when I play against one.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Hahahaha, gotta be careful cuz i have a total of 55 infraction points xD. But srs every1s most important mu is Meta.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I change my vote to MK, just because you have to handle pocket MKs which I realized are the most prominent pocket CPs

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I wanna say Meta Knight, but I myself just found it so much less frustrating to go Falco instead...

Ah well, I'll still say Meta Knight because I don't see any other ones that pop out at me and are at least somewhat common.

KickKickFlip

Smash Apprentice
MK because if you don't know the MU it truly is WAY too easy to get 3 stocked esspecially against tourny level players

Top Bottom