• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Is Perfect Pivoting actually useful in Practice?

Is Perfect Pivoting useful in the midst of battle?

• Yes

Votes: 66 90.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Bob

Banned via Warnings
Is Perfect Pivoting useful to you in the midst of an actual match? For me, yes, but only in specific situations. Most of the time it's usually used to show off or to tell players "I'm good", though most of the time, simply jumping away is more consistent in my experience online and in tournaments.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Perfect pivoting is a useful tech, no arguing that. It is an extremely good microspacing tool and allows users to adjust their positioning before attacking. It could also be used for defensive purposes.

It is quick and reliable (except for some characters) and does its job extremely well. It also mixes up well with extended dash dancing, allowing room for more creativity and trickiness in your movement. If you ask me, it's definitely more than just an "I'm good" show.

Although, I do hate using it in online. That online input delay makes handling quick moves and techs really hard in general.

Bob

Banned via Warnings
Perfect pivoting is a useful tech, no arguing that. It is an extremely good microspacing tool and allows users to adjust their positioning before attacking. It could also be used for defensive purposes.

It is quick and reliable (except for some characters) and does its job extremely well. It also mixes up well with extended dash dancing, allowing room for more creativity and trickiness in your movement. If you ask me, it's definitely more than just an "I'm good" show.

Although, I do hate using it in online. That online input delay makes handling quick moves and techs really hard in general.
True. True. I haven't tested it yet, but does Luigi's Perfect Pivot look anything like his Wavedash in Melee? His traction should be the same, but I don't know how it affects him yet.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Look: It's useful, but not for every character much less for everyone.
If you're gonna invest the time into learning how to Pivot instead of maybe training other things, you better have some kind of specific use for it, like maybe your character can space with their tilts very well, or your gameplan involves a mindgame that might need a PP in there somewhere.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
True. True. I haven't tested it yet, but does Luigi's Perfect Pivot look anything like his Wavedash in Melee? His traction should be the same, but I don't know how it affects him yet.
Lol no. Luigi in Smash 4 is nothing like Luigi in Melee in terms of neutral.

Look: It's useful, but not for every character much less for everyone.
If you're gonna invest the time into learning how to Pivot instead of maybe training other things, you better have some kind of specific use for it, like maybe your character can space with their tilts very well, or your gameplan involves a mindgame that might need a PP in there somewhere.
I agree. PP usually benefits characters that rely heavily on spacing. Outside of that, it's still useful but significantly less stellar with the exception of a few cases.

PP is really easy to practice in training though, so it's not something that is going to get in the way of anyone's training routine.

Bob

Banned via Warnings
I know how to do it, i was simply curious on what other people think of it. Personally, it works well for my Mewtwo, however, not everyone may feel the same way.

QualityQ

Smash Apprentice
Definitely depends on the character and the move in terms of how useful it is. Almost every character can make use of pivot grabs, though.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Put a "Depends on your character" option and there's your answer.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
I honestly have no idea why more top players haven't picked it up. It's more options.
I understand they do PP, but I notice they don't use it as much as they could, which leads me to believe that they simply can't do it out of reaction, they have to plan ahead it's implementation. It goes to show how much fundamentals are ruling this competitive scene.

Croyster

Smash Rookie
Game and watches perfect pivot is VERY short and the options he can't do out of normal pivot (excluding jab and sometimes crouch) are typically not useful against grounded opponents in my experience.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
Game and watches perfect pivot is VERY short and the options he can't do out of normal pivot (excluding jab and sometimes crouch) are typically not useful against grounded opponents in my experience.
Pivot shield and Pivot dodge are useful for near every character. In a mostly defensive game you think that would be a staple by now.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
PP is a lot like wavedashing, useless for players that don't know when and where to apply it, while extremely useful for extending combos, spacing out opponents, and baiting certain behaviors.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
If you're playing Marth it's amazing to space yourself for a tipper.
Except literally no Marths use advancing P.Pivot - Dashcancel Fsmash.

And I don't see the need for retreating P.Pivot Fsmash when we already have dash-pivot Fsmash that spaces almost perfectly out of a forward walk or a foxtrot. But it's a thing.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Of course, but the performance is based solely on character-dependency. PP is great enough for my character that I will easily apply it & use. Speed art's PP for Shulk is top-tier level. So while Dtilt in Neutral is above-average at best, it can be baited out & dealt with. Speed art PP Dtilt however, that's something I can't deal with when fighting against Shulk.

Wish I could say the same for other characters. My Yoshi Lucario & Falcon are decent-good enough that I'll sparingly use the option. Pivot shield is great though.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Imo its not as useful as regular pivoting, for some characters, regular pivoting is much better as they slide much farther.

Last edited:

E.D.N.D.N

Smash Cadet
As a greninja main it's really useful. Pp dtilt for catching rolls, pp or fox trot to pp uptilt to catch landings, or just pp to bait either an attack or spot dodge and punishing with a dash grab or dash attack. When I play lucario (my secondary) I never pp.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Sheik's run up perfect pivot f-tilt can set-up for a 50/50. And obviously, you can use it to extend f-tilt strings

Last edited:

Anter

Smash Rookie
As Mario, perfect pivoting can be used to extend utilt strings, it can help with baiting and punishing, it can help with spacing too. Since all of his grounded normals carry momentum (excluding ftilt), perfect pivoting is useful in many circumstances.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
As Kirby, everything gets a slight range boost. PP utilt is gdlk

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
Characters it benefits: :4falcon::4littlemac::4cloud::4sonic::4fox::4greninja::4sheik:

Characters it doesn't benefit: :4jigglypuff:

I swear... Jiggs literally nothing good going for her :(

Last edited:

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech

Also, jiggs has an amazing airspeed, good aerials outside of the range problem...Good tools for retreating, and a decent recovery if mastered.
That combo is decent, however as shown in that video (and I have done some testing with this combo), you still need to be extremely close (as in touching your opponent or almost touching your opponent) for the combo to work and if you miss it...... yeah. It is however a decent set up that is able to give you the opprotunity to land the rest with a slightly lesser chance of missing it and a lesser chance of putting you in a super punishing scenario.

Also, good air speed and decent aerials with poor range won't help when you have very poor ground options. Even characters like :4littlemac: have anti-air options when it comes to :4jigglypuff: by spamming U-tilt which covers so much room and comes out very fast making it almost impossible for her to approach in the air and if she does manage to land a hit, :4littlemac: and :4jigglypuff:end up trading. But I agree that she has a pretty good recovery that can sometimes be hard to keep track of but even then, that won't do you too much good if you are able to be KO'd by non-charged Fsmash's extremely early because of your weight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom