• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Do you think the "one only" rule for extra parties will still be in effect?

Will Ultimate eradicate the "one only" rule for extra parties?

• Yes, somewhere in the base game or DLC, an extra party fighter will join the battle

Votes: 31 93.9%
  • No, neither the base game or DLC will feature an extra party fighter.

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
As we all know a form of a "one only" rule is in place. Although this "rule" is not official, it reflects the fact that all series from a non 1st party IP are restricted to one fighter. This includes: Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, and Bayonetta. Castlevania, although designed by Konami and not Nintendo, was considered a first party on the NES and SNES, and only features two fighters since Simon required moves pulled from Richter's game.

Although the demand for an extra fighter form an extra party is low compared to first party choices, and Ultimate seems to have a lower amount of newcomers due to the lack of removing characters and seven returning veterans, do you think that the unofficial "one only" rule for extra parties will be eradicated by Ultimate?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Wha... I don't even... Castlevania is not a first-party franchise!

D

Deleted member

Castlevania, although designed by Konami and not Nintendo, was considered a first party on the NES and SNES, and only features two fighters since Simon required moves pulled from Richter's game.
Uh...I’m sorry but what? By that logic, Mega Man 2 and Ninja Gaiden are also first first party Nintendo games on NES. Oh, and while we’re at it, let’s classify Final Fantasies IV, V, and VI as all first party Nintendo games too since every single one of those was released on the SNES. Castlevania’s still a third party franchise, regardless of what console it launched on.

As for these rules, I don’t put stock in them. Every single “rule” this fanbase has come up with has been throughly wrecked.
“Third parties MUST have history with Nintendo!” Boom, Cloud.
“No characters that are too mature or violent for Smash!” Bam, Bayonetta.
“No characters that haven’t been relevant for the past 10 years!” POW! King K Rool.
To me, if someone says “This character goes against the rules.”, what they’re really saying is “This character goes against my personal bias. My character is better.”

Last edited by a moderator:

SonicMario

Smash Master
By now, to say there absolutely won't be is denying that so many goalposts have been moved already when it comes to 3rd party franchises.

Only one 3rd party per company :ultryu:
Character must have or have had in the past, a heavy presence on Nintendo consoles :ultcloud:
Character has to be an icon of gaming world-wide :ultbayonetta: (Though this can be argued to be a special case as a sort of adoption between Nintendo and Sega)

Only one character per 3rd party franchise :ultrichter:

It's already kind of moved to "They can, but they can only be echoes" after Richter. But if that gets broken at any point in this game's lifecycle expect something like Tails, Chun-Li, another Final Fantasy character, etc. for other possibilities.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Didn't Smash 4 break this rule by having both Mega Man and Ryu? Both are Capcom characters.

Last edited:

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure that rule was already shattered long before this game was even announced.

31fps

Banned via Warnings
Uh...I’m sorry but what? By that logic, Mega Man 2 and Ninja Gaiden are also first first party Nintendo games on NES. Oh, and while we’re at it, let’s classify Final Fantasies IV, V, and VI as all first party Nintendo games too since every single one of those was released on the SNES. Castlevania’s still a third party franchise, regardless of what console it launched on.

As for these rules, I don’t put stock in them. Every single “rule” this fanbase has come up with has been throughly wrecked.
“Third parties MUST have history with Nintendo!” Boom, Cloud.
“No characters that are too mature or violent for Smash!” Bam, Bayonetta.
“No characters that haven’t been relevant for the past 10 years!” POW! King K Rool.
To me, if someone says “This character goes against the rules.”, what they’re really saying is “This character goes against my personal bias. My character is better.”
What he means is Castlevania is regarded as a Nintendo classic whilst games like Mega Man and Sonic have appeared on other systems. Castlevania is also a retro game so it gains that merit.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey, Bomberman is also a Nintendo classic. As is Mega Man. And all three are retro. But Bomberman, Mega Man, and Castlevania have all had several games on non-Nintendo systems.

Quillion

Smash Hero
This rule is no more just as we dicussed on this thread.

There's no need to reach with Konami to justify it still existing.

If anything, the only rule left is that third parties can only have one full fighter and one Echo.

Oddball

Smash Lord
So... none of us are gonna mention the Ken leak that may or may not be true
Nope nobody is going to mention it. Not even you.

Anyway, this was never really a rule, and even if it was a rule, Smash breaks their unofficial rules all the time.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Anyway, this was never really a rule, and even if it was a rule, Smash breaks their unofficial rules all the time.
I'd call it less "breaking" and more "making slow steps". Note how they didn't go wild with third parties all at once with Brawl:
  • Brawl introduced third party characters to begin with.
  • Smash 4 allowed representation of multiple franchises per company
  • Ultimate allows representation of multiple characters per franchise, though it's assumed that multiple characters per franchise will be limited to Echoes for now.
I think Smash 6's next step will be to give franchises multiple full fighters instead of Echoes.

Xigger

Smash Lord
This rule is no more just as we dicussed on this thread.

There's no need to reach with Konami to justify it still existing.

If anything, the only rule left is that third parties can only have one full fighter and one Echo.

Exactly. I wouldn't even say there ARE rules anymore. What we notice as fans are NOT rules... maybe guidelines.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Didn't Smash 4 break this rule by having both Mega Man and Ryu? Both are Capcom characters.
He’s talking same game series with a different moveset not echos.

What honestly shouldn’t make a difference

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Who cares about semantics, just add characters people like.
Well, as long as its feasable, of course. If it's a licensing nightmare, maybe focus on a different character instead.

Uffe

Smash Hero
That so-called rule has been ignored since Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Or Super Smash Bros. Wii U if you want to count DLC Mii outfits that represent more 3rd party stuff.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Both Simon and Richter getting in officially breaks this fan 'rule'.
And don't throw that 'it only applies to Echoes' stuff.
Sakurai never said that a character from the same Third Party series could join or that only Echo fighters get special treatment. It's not official. Case closed
So yeah I'd say it's likely we can get Tails, or Shadow, or maybe even both and Ken now.
As we all know a form of a "one only" rule is in place. Although this "rule" is not official, it reflects the fact that all series from a non 1st party IP are restricted to one fighter. This includes: Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, and Bayonetta. Castlevania, although designed by Konami and not Nintendo, was considered a first party on the NES and SNES, and only features two fighters since Simon required moves pulled from Richter's game.

Although the demand for an extra fighter form an extra party is low compared to first party choices, and Ultimate seems to have a lower amount of newcomers due to the lack of removing characters and seven returning veterans, do you think that the unofficial "one only" rule for extra parties will be eradicated by Ultimate?
Um...... Castlevania's not a first party. Yes it is a staple classic to the NES, but it's not a first party. Like @Alastor017 said that pretty much means games like Ninja Gaiden, Bomberman, Blaster Master and Megaman are first party to the NES.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What he means is Castlevania is regarded as a Nintendo classic whilst games like Mega Man and Sonic have appeared on other systems. Castlevania is also a retro game so it gains that merit.
Castlevania has also appeared on other systems. And Mega Man is also a retro game...

There's like no arguments a person can make for Castlevania that don't also apply to Mega Man.

31fps

Banned via Warnings
Castlevania has also appeared on other systems. And Mega Man is also a retro game...

There's like no arguments a person can make for Castlevania that don't also apply to Mega Man.
Either way Richter is only in because Simon uses parts of his moveset. Castlevania is the one exception so far.

TheBean

Banned via Warnings
I hope it stays in effect. IMO they only extra parties they've done a good job with are Castlevania and PAC-MAN

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Richter alone breaks this rule. For all effects, Castlevania nowadays is a Konami franchise, not a Nintendo one

The question is if a third-party will ever get an non-Echo Fighter second rep at one point. I can see Sonic getting one down the line, they're all massively popular. Upon demand, they may change whatever "rules" they have

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Just having two Castlevania characters breaks this rule. Echo fighters can't be an exception because they can get decloned later on and they are technically their own fighter that takes up a spot on the roster. We thought at first that it was one character per third-party company that could get in. Ryu came in as DLC after Mega Man was established in the base game for Smash 4. Now, it's looking like just about any character can get in if enough fans demand and if Sakurai wants. Goku from Dragon Ball Z has a decent chance now.

Top Bottom