• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Pokkén Tournament GD/Social - Poké Center Redux Version

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
I think the combo damage reduction can also be toned down a bit. Longer strings shouldn't do less damage than two individual moves that are a part of said string. That's just stupid.
Is that why when sometimes I do like a combo into a super and the burst attack does like, barely any damage? That's really silly.

Anyway, the thing I would to see get added is those force shield things? Not sure what it's actually called but in some fighting games, they have this thing where if you are backed into the end of a screen or corner, you can basically do this "explosion" around your character to push the opponent away so you can move or whatever. I feel in Pokken, it extremely easy for opponents to knock you into a corner and simply dominate and take off like, half of your health and you can't do anything about it. If they added that feature in, I believe it would make battles less one sided.

Spirst

Is that why when sometimes I do like a combo into a super and the burst attack does like, barely any damage? That's really silly.
Yep, that's why. I think it makes sense for burst attacks since it makes landing raw burst attacks, a much more hard option, more rewarding. Given how much damage hits do overall, comboing into burst attack would be too powerful.

is a good example of what I meant about scaling being too much overall.

Karter_90

Smash Cadet
Say boys, which point allocation increases the HP of a Poké fighter?

My Shadow Mewtwo is now level 71 but his HP is still only 480.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Say boys, which point allocation increases the HP of a Poké fighter?

My Shadow Mewtwo is now level 71 but his HP is still only 480.
If Defense doesn't change HP, I don't think anything does. I've only allocated points to attack.

Karter_90

Smash Cadet
So his HP is permanently only 480? What if I upgrade him to level 80 will that change the HP?

Spirst

Welcome to the Shadow Mewtwo life. At least he has Recover though which heals 60 HP and can be combined with Cresselia support for even more HP.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
You know how Garchomp roars during his idle stance?

I swear, I think he's saying "GET OVER HERE!"

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I didn't know this sub-forum existed.

Anyways, I've been playing the arcade version Pokken for a while. Not going to get the console version because I don't have a Wii U.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Pokkén is such a fun game! :grin:
I still don't know who I'm gonna main unfortunately. I've played Pikachu the most, so maybe him, I guess, but I'm still trying all the characters out.
Also, once I have enough money, I'm probably gonna just buy the Hori Pad online from Gamestop. Now if only there were nearby tournaments here...

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I remember hearing that you could use a variety of USB controllers with Pokken, if you're looking for something wired... Or was it just that you could use the Pokken controller with other systems? Mm, guess I need to dig out my PS3 controller and see what happens.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
I'm so glad I'm not alone when it comes to their attacks. Hopefully they will make some kind of patch in the future.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Why get the pad when the game pad is viable on its own (or any controller you might have over at y'all's cribs)?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Finally got mine shipped in today. Takes some getting used to if you've used nothing but the Gamepad/Wii U Pro Controller.
I was able to order mine today. Should be here in about a week or two hopefully. Hopefully the time to get used to it isn't too long.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Since I have no intentions of ever entering a tournament, I'm going to continuing using the Wii U Pro controller when I play Pokken Tournament. The game controls perfectly with it which is nice because I can also use the Pro with Mario Kart 8.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Speaking of tournaments; I've seen comments here and there that Mewtwo and Shadow Mewtwo are being banned from tournaments in some places. I haven't followed the Pokken competitive scene too closely, is there any credibility to this?

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Speaking of tournaments; I've seen comments here and there that Mewtwo and Shadow Mewtwo are being banned from tournaments in some places. I haven't followed the Pokken competitive scene too closely, is there any credibility to this?
Shadow mewtwo prob cuz of the blockstring infinite in field and mewtwo is a huge question mark to me.

Life

Smash Hero
Emotwo's blockstring infinite is getting him banned in certain places. I'm not convinced it's a problem because the game gives you an alternative method of blocking via CADC, so you can almost play the game as normal vs him. Almost.

Never heard of anyone banning regular Mewtwo, though. I've heard he's probably top tier, and better than no-infinite Emotwo, but I haven't seen a good one in action, nor do I understand his tools well enough to comment on that.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I certainly wouldn't complain about a Mewtwo ban. That thing makes me salty as hell...
Nah, but really, nothing about Mewtwo is inherently broken, so a ban on him is strange. Edgy Mewtwo is understandable.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Hoping to download the demo today...I really wanna like this game and join the community.

Maybe Mewtwo's banned because they wanna get more setups and not everybody has beaten story mode at this early point in the game?

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Hoping to download the demo today...I really wanna like this game and join the community.

Maybe Mewtwo's banned because they wanna get more setups and not everybody has beaten story mode at this early point in the game?
Well, Tournaments would most likely be using LAN play, which actually unlocks everything temporarily (until you leave the LAN mode)

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Don't forget that Pokken Tournament is also compatible with the original Wii's Pro controller.

Sometimes you can find these at lower prices than the Wii U Pro controller but you'll need to have a wii-mote to make it work.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well, Tournaments would most likely be using LAN play, which actually unlocks everything temporarily (until you leave the LAN mode)
It could still be the reasoning "not everybody has him unlocked yet, thus have no experience with/against him." Though still seems iffy at best.

As for the Miracle Eye infinite, supposedly there's maintenance coming up specifically for Pokkén, so we may be getting it patched out soon.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It could still be the reasoning "not everybody has him unlocked yet, thus have no experience with/against him." Though still seems iffy at best.

As for the Miracle Eye infinite, supposedly there's maintenance coming up specifically for Pokkén, so we may be getting it patched out soon.
Actually that was last night and nothing came of it.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Just made this yesterday, but I made a brief review summing up the game if you're still on the fence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdQngKpkNdU
Overall a very good review. I only take issue with your claim that Pokken Tournament is the best looking game on the Wii U. It appears that some concessions were made to resolution to keep the game running at 60 fps. For that reason some people say that PT looks a little blurry at times. Nonetheless, Pokken is still a brilliant game and well worth purchasing if you enjoy fighting games on even a casual level. Thanks for your review video, HermitHelmet!

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Overall a very good review. I only take issue with your claim that Pokken Tournament is the best looking game on the Wii U. It appears that some concessions were made to resolution to keep the game running at 60 fps. For that reason some people say that PT looks a little blurry at times. Nonetheless, Pokken is still a brilliant game and well worth purchasing if you enjoy fighting games on even a casual level. Thanks for your review video, HermitHelmet!

Thanks dude :)

D

Deleted member

Engaging, Enthralling, Intense 10/10 Pikachu is my main Charizard my secondary Gengar my err third main. I'm on Red League now Shadow Mewtwo's trounced me but It's been fun I hope this game continues Smash is always number 1 fighter in my life but this would be number 2 looking forward to more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karter_90

Smash Cadet
Iron League is by far my favourite league of all, it is the hardest but it also makes you think strategically and in ways how to possibly win without losing a single match. Awesome.

Anyhow, it'd be nice to see a DLC pack sometime in a near future to fill those four spots on the roster. :)

The Pokkén Pro Pad is incredibly hard to find. I didn't think it would be.
Seems that way but I've already gotten my ideal controller for Pokkén. :)

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

Actually that was last night and nothing came of it.
But now I'm hearing there'll be another update in the next couple weeks that will take the infinite out...as well as making Reshiram a little less ridiculous and fixing a few bugs.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yeah, hopefully they get the thing where Sceptile can clip under the ground too.

Wonder if there'll be any major character balance changes? People seem to have lost hope with Blaziken real quick, lol.

Top Bottom