• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Pokkén Tournament GD/Social - Poké Center Redux Version

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
And a space for another fighter I believe.

Also we're pretty sure they're all fighters since their moves correlate to what other fighters have, and Darkrai has three separate moves.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
And a space for another fighter I believe.

Also we're pretty sure they're all fighters since their moves correlate to what other fighters have, and Darkrai has three separate moves.
So the question is when, I'm guessing an EVO reveal, since the Arcade version is now all caught up, and that's when the game will have the biggest spotlight.
Something else to consider with Harada being producer on this, is that there's a good chance these characters will be a free update

Nah

Smash Champion
man if they're free (uh, assuming we really are getting DLC characters anyway) that'd be great

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I would think purposely holding them off until after Worlds could be a likely scenario, given they wouldn't want to release them and not allow them to be legal given people would only have a short amount of time to learn the match ups (then again, Ibuki and Balrog will be legal for EVO despite just coming out this Friday).

I would also think if they aren't all free DLC, it would be on either Nintendo's or TPC/GF's part, not Bamco.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Wether or not they'd want them to be free probably depends on how well Pokken has sold... Don't have any numbers right now but Triforce Heroes was going to have paid DLC but then they took what they had and made it free and scrapped the rest when the numbers came in, though you also have to consider that they didn't want to fracture the playerbase either.

Could really see it going either way.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Well, the arcade side is still active, and TPC seems to at least for this year trying to push it as another Pokémon Pillar. And it has really good numbers for the install base, and a new franchise. Wait and see I guess

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Apparently someone had their copy of Pokken glitch out all of the particle effects. They made a vid of what burst attacks really look like.

The best part about this is now I know what a bald Chandelure looks like.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
So we got announcement(s) on the 14th in japan, arcade release on the 20th. Which means we're likely getting a western announcement on whatever day of EVO Pokken is on(it starts the 15th) along with the wii-u date, and possibly more than the arcade announcement since they've kept the wii-u roster ahead of the arcade one

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Taking into consideration that arcade version slowly adds one or a few fighters at a time (this update with Braixen/Garchomp/S. Mewtwo being the biggest number to date), console may very well get all of them first.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Good, I guess. Not much happened. Mewtwo had two moves nerfed a bit, S. Mewtwo had most of his field phase nerfed, and Resh isn't as dumb.

There's little consensus on who's good or bad at the moment. People seem to think Machamp, Blaziken and Garchomp are the worst and the Pikas and OG Mewtwo are the best, but then literally everybody else nobody agrees on.

Supports seem pretty balanced, though again there's not much consensus on what's good or bad. Cress is, honestly, overrated to heck. You can only use her once, even though you can use somebody like Resh twice after a cheer. Unless you're S. Mewtwo or maybe Blaziken you might as well use the separate healing and burst supports. Besides that I see a lot of Rotom/Togakiss, Jirachi/Whimsicott, and Diglet/Cubone. On the opposite end basically the only support I see called bad is Quag/Magton.

There's just not much to balance right now. It's good because they didn't butcher anybody, I suppose? Though S. Mewtwos seem to disagree, lol.
The only way slow-charging supports are getting more than one use in a round from anyone not named Braixen is if you burn them near the start of a round, which is not always feasible. And if you don't have a cheer on them, you'll be lucky if you can even get to use them at all. There's a reason slow/slow pairs are unpopular, though Dragonite/Victini do still give strong benefits, and Magneton/Quagsire may be tough to use effectively, but can still be strong. Magneton can be used in combos off launchers, or to start them near a wall, or just stuff reckless jumping, with a hefty status debuff as a bonus (synergy weaken plus random stat debuff). Quagsire is good for forcing reactions.

But if Dragonite/Victini and Magneton/Quagsire are Rarely Used tier, the sole inhabitant of Never Used tier belongs to Pachirisu/Magikarp. In all of my time online, I've seen absolutely NO ONE use these two, and for good reason. Pachirisu is just rendered completely obsolete by Whimsicott, who does the same thing but better with faster charging and healing. The wider area of effect of Follow Me is utterly pointless since it doesn't matter in the end if projectiles get nullified closer or farther, the result is the same. Maybe if it actually made ranged moves go astray (even the non-nullifiable ones) like the move is supposed to do we'd have something. Magikarp, on the other hand, despite causing some burst attacks to fail hilariously, just isn't very threatening for the charge time needed. He's a step up from Pachirisu since he CAN legitimately help approaches... but often the weak damage he deals isn't enough to dissuade the opponent from attacking, and sometimes he doesn't even hit properly.

A healing-based Pokemon would be cool, but would obviously have garbage attack stats to make up for it. It could be a legitimate stall/camp type, which would be interesting.
Sceptile does plenty of healing from landing his moves, and is very good at stuffing approaches with varied land mines, swift counter Leaf Blade, and long-ranged duel light aerial among others. His combos and damage output generally aren't as good as the other speed characters without applying a defence debuff, but he has much more health and survivability, plus a much stronger burst mode.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We gotta learn how to block
Ah yes. Blocking. You know, pressing a button to do it as opposed to holding back is truly a double-edged sword. On one hand, it makes advancing while blocking easier. On the other hand, it imposes a mandatory raise/drop delay which increases it's vulnerability to sudden attacks or grabs.

Blocking is just generally weak in this game, as are most defensive options like anti-airs. There are far more safe on block moves than there are unsafe ones, meaning your only hope of punishing moves most of the time is by reading with counters, or somehow dodging.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Ah yes. Blocking. You know, pressing a button to do it as opposed to holding back is truly a double-edged sword. On one hand, it makes advancing while blocking easier. On the other hand, it imposes a mandatory raise/drop delay which increases it's vulnerability to sudden attacks or grabs.

Blocking is just generally weak in this game, as are most defensive options like anti-airs. There are far more safe on block moves than there are unsafe ones, meaning your only hope of punishing moves most of the time is by reading with counters, or somehow dodging.
Knew I wasn't the only one.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Knew I wasn't the only one.
And that's not even half of this game's defensive issues, my friend. Wake-ups are abysmal because the developers apparently thought teching landings is for *******, and you can't do ANYTHING to alter your getup timing, so literally anyone can force you into a three-way attack triangle guessing game when they knock you down. Oh, and those wallbounces that are supposed to help you get space to compose yourself after a beating? Anybody with at least decent speed has no trouble catching up to your harmless landing and repeating the same scenario there.

This game desperately needs something like Substitution Jutsus from Clash of Ninja, not for combos, but just for those wakeup scenarios I mentioned just to give a chance at breaking the cycle of hurting (they'd use a chunk of synergy to prevent abuse, and also it gives more purpose to the meter than just filling it all the way).

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
And that's not even half of this game's defensive issues, my friend. Wake-ups are abysmal because the developers apparently thought teching landings is for *******, and you can't do ANYTHING to alter your getup timing, so literally anyone can force you into a three-way attack triangle guessing game when they knock you down. Oh, and those wallbounces that are supposed to help you get space to compose yourself after a beating? Anybody with at least decent speed has no trouble catching up to your harmless landing and repeating the same scenario there.

This game desperately needs something like Substitution Jutsus from Clash of Ninja, not for combos, but just for those wakeup scenarios I mentioned just to give a chance at breaking the cycle of hurting (they'd use a chunk of synergy to prevent abuse, and also it gives more purpose to the meter than just filling it all the way).
On God bruh.

The neutral is so messy. My opponent can force me to block due to my pole hitting them during their CA and now I'm in a guessing game. That should not be happening at all.

Nor should top 8 at combo breaker look so inpatient (tons of button presses and aggro play). Defense is horribly lacking in this game and the only counter-argument I've come across was attacks should be our defense (which is rofl to say).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
On God bruh.

The neutral is so messy. My opponent can force me to block due to my pole hitting them during their CA and now I'm in a guessing game. That should not be happening at all.

Nor should top 8 at combo breaker look so inpatient (tons of button presses and aggro play). Defense is horribly lacking in this game and the only counter-argument I've come across was attacks should be our defense (which is rofl to say).
I think they meant to say that the only real defence in this game is hard reads. The devs just put too much emphasis on using the attack triangle to get anywhere, which makes me question how deep skill really is in this game. The only true practice you need is being familiar with your character's combos and moves, after that it's just reading patterns. And you only need to make the right guesses a few times. So naturally the best characters are the ones who can play nasty keepaway (Chandelure, Braixen) to avoid having to play that game in the first place, or have moves that let them "cheat" the attack triangle (the Mewtwos and their Psystrikes, Garchomp and his Sand Tomb cancelling).

Funny that you mention the game being button heavy though, when activating burst can often bring things to a screeching halt, whether it's the defender running away, or the offender having what amounts to a "press a button and you die" nuke (Charizard, Shadow Mewtwo).

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Funny that you mention the game being button heavy though, when activating burst can often bring things to a screeching halt, whether it's the defender running away, or the offender having what amounts to a "press a button and you die" nuke (Charizard, Shadow Mewtwo).
That match-altering mechanic is something I don't particularly like either, but other games sport similar types of power (like ST boxer, and some marvel games) so I can't point a finger at the game only.

The game really needs nerfs to attacks and then it needs a viable defensive option for the wake-up situation. Anything else I can take.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That match-altering mechanic is something I don't particularly like either, but other games sport similar types of power (like ST boxer, and some marvel games) so I can't point a finger at the game only.

The game really needs nerfs to attacks and then it needs a viable defensive option for the wake-up situation. Anything else I can take.
Attacks are only relatively overpowered due to the weakness of blocking. If they'd just allow something akin to SFIV reversals to bypass some of the blockstun to punish repetitive shield pressure (that say, doesn't stagger)... and if blocking was triggered by holding back instead of a button (at least for duel) it wouldn't be such a commitment. Having the choice between the two blocking methods would be extra nice, since there are some perks to the current method after all, like starting a charge without inputting a move first.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That's the question isn't it? The core of fighting games are RPS interactions, after all. How much is too much?
When it only takes a handful of those interactions to win. This kind of action is normally only reserved for heavy grapplers who have drawbacks elsewhere to offset their power relative to the cast, but in Pokken everyone can engage this due to the lack of inputting moves while guarding or dedicated throw escape command (you have to commit to an attack to beat throws) and launch devastating combos/damage.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
When it only takes a handful of those interactions to win. This kind of action is normally only reserved for heavy grapplers who have drawbacks elsewhere to offset their power relative to the cast, but in Pokken everyone can engage this due to the lack of inputting moves while guarding or dedicated throw escape command (you have to commit to an attack to beat throws) and launch devastating combos/damage.
It only takes two or three solid combos to take a stock, four to six to take a round, and eight to twelve to win a set and that's not counting interactions during stocks you lost in. How much is that compared to something "normal" like Street Fighter? To Marvel vs. Capcom?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It only takes two or three solid combos to take a stock, four to six to take a round, and eight to twelve to win a set and that's not counting interactions during stocks you lost in. How much is that compared to something "normal" like Street Fighter? To Marvel vs. Capcom?
Well, in Street Fighter (V especially), you generally have to make a pretty hefty commitment to land a big combo. The rest of the time is spent chipping away with low-risk, low reward moves. In Pokken such pokes are rare, and basically any move that isn't specifically a combo ender leads to significant damage. Marvel, on the other hand is actually even more volatile than Pokken, where basically any hit is death to a character (small mercy it's three-on-three... and there's a reason Smash 64 uses five stocks). Pokken also doesn't grant infinitely reusable assists.

Perhaps what I'm trying to say is that games decided by a small number of exchanges isn't necessarily bad, as long as there's clear counterplay (grapplers being slow target practice, glass cannons dying in just as few exchanges). Problem in Pokken is that most everyone is capable of doing this, then easily setting up unfavourable guessing games due to the weakness and commitment of blocking plus inflexible wakeups.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, in Street Fighter (V especially), you generally have to make a pretty hefty commitment to land a big combo. The rest of the time is spent chipping away with low-risk, low reward moves. In Pokken such pokes are rare, and basically any move that isn't specifically a combo ender leads to significant damage. Marvel, on the other hand is actually even more volatile than Pokken, where basically any hit is death to a character (small mercy it's three-on-three... and there's a reason Smash 64 uses five stocks). Pokken also doesn't grant infinitely reusable assists.

Perhaps what I'm trying to say is that games decided by a small number of exchanges isn't necessarily bad, as long as there's clear counterplay (grapplers being slow target practice, glass cannons dying in just as few exchanges). Problem in Pokken is that most everyone is capable of doing this, then easily setting up unfavourable guessing games due to the weakness and commitment of blocking plus inflexible wakeups.
Complaining about how strong Pokken's combos are... Kinda find it funny after everybody was complaining about the damage scaling. Though I get what you mean.

Pokken's kinda sterile, I guess. In spite of the amount of heavily slanted characters it quickly boils down to zone/beat zoning, win RPS, deal a crapton of damage. Everybody has "safe" pokes that convert into tons of damage... And at the same time most everybody has the equivalent of Witch Time with their counters.

Dunno about you but my biggest problem initially was trying to shield and punish everything... Then I realized that counters are shields in this game. Countering wins against anything that doesn't outright beat it. Grabs are kind of a weak link in since they lose to any non-counter and are largely pretty mediocre, at least in my experience.

But anyway, as a Braixen main I'm obligated to say that she managed to win EVO lol. Yeah... Wasn't expecting it at all, though she has some stupidly good stuff. Right off the bat you can see she's a mobile zoner with a great mid-range and good CQC, which is just an inherently good design. Honestly she lacks any proper weaknesses besides just being better then her in an area, being a balanced character and all, but she's strong enough to where she can still compete even if you, oh say, outzone her. She's just loaded with great gimmicks and tools too, like the airgame as a whole, her support bonuses, her burst in general... Solidly on the "born lucky" end of the spectrum.

The character just doesn't come up often, though. I guess we weren't really aware of what she could do... Clearly in the current meta she can take EVO, hehe. I wonder how people are going to react? Surely it's going to bring her out of "absolutely no idea" tier to high or top in the eyes of many.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Complaining about how strong Pokken's combos are... Kinda find it funny after everybody was complaining about the damage scaling. Though I get what you mean.

Pokken's kinda sterile, I guess. In spite of the amount of heavily slanted characters it quickly boils down to zone/beat zoning, win RPS, deal a crapton of damage. Everybody has "safe" pokes that convert into tons of damage... And at the same time most everybody has the equivalent of Witch Time with their counters.

Dunno about you but my biggest problem initially was trying to shield and punish everything... Then I realized that counters are shields in this game. Countering wins against anything that doesn't outright beat it. Grabs are kind of a weak link in since they lose to any non-counter and are largely pretty mediocre, at least in my experience.

But anyway, as a Braixen main I'm obligated to say that she managed to win EVO lol. Yeah... Wasn't expecting it at all, though she has some stupidly good stuff. Right off the bat you can see she's a mobile zoner with a great mid-range and good CQC, which is just an inherently good design. Honestly she lacks any proper weaknesses besides just being better then her in an area, being a balanced character and all, but she's strong enough to where she can still compete even if you, oh say, outzone her. She's just loaded with great gimmicks and tools too, like the airgame as a whole, her support bonuses, her burst in general... Solidly on the "born lucky" end of the spectrum.

The character just doesn't come up often, though. I guess we weren't really aware of what she could do... Clearly in the current meta she can take EVO, hehe. I wonder how people are going to react? Surely it's going to bring her out of "absolutely no idea" tier to high or top in the eyes of many.
Normally I might agree with grabs being the weak link in the triangle... but with the previously mentioned commitment on blocking (mandatory raise/drop delay like in Smash, but without any of the out-of-shield options), and the prominence of fast armour-piercing and dash-cancellable moves, it's not hard at all to get someone to block and hit them with a grab they can't avoid.

Braixen is a classic case of "weakness underestimated". They gave her all these strong, mobile attacks, nearly lagless zoning which makes Machamp cry and support cancels which no one else has and with only slightly below-average HP, and her only true weaknesses are weak grabs (which isn't a problem at all when she can smack most counters safely with her forward leap and boomerang) and a relatively underwhelming burst mode (mainly providing buffs she can already get normally with little trouble via Sunny Day and a fairly low-powered burst attack).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Normally I might agree with grabs being the weak link in the triangle... but with the previously mentioned commitment on blocking (mandatory raise/drop delay like in Smash, but without any of the out-of-shield options), and the prominence of fast armour-piercing and dash-cancellable moves, it's not hard at all to get someone to block and hit them with a grab they can't avoid.

Braixen is a classic case of "weakness underestimated". They gave her all these strong, mobile attacks, nearly lagless zoning which makes Machamp cry and support cancels which no one else has and with only slightly below-average HP, and her only true weaknesses are weak grabs (which isn't a problem at all when she can smack most counters safely with her forward leap and boomerang) and a relatively underwhelming burst mode (mainly providing buffs she can already get normally with little trouble via Sunny Day and a fairly low-powered burst attack).
Since blocking is so weak I just don't see it outside of a panic button or blocking specific things... Where I'm at I'd rather chance it with the triangle then get backed into a corner.

Really? I've been thinking her burst mode was really good. Firespin combos into itself on aerial opponents and can be combod into, Fire Blast gets a ton of priority before it opens up (IIRC), she can easily get the SD attack buff which on top of burst gets ridiculous, her up strong > SD Flame Charge is just nutty when it doesn't run out, and her burst attack while the second weakest still has a ton of range that it reaches instantly which shuts down doing, well, anything reactable in neutral.

I don't think Braixen was supposed to have any big weaknesses... I mean, she's basically Pit 2.0 down to the strong midrange. It's just that they made her too strong overall. Even what's considered to be her worst MU probably isn't even that bad because Tonosoma, the Braixen, came in from losers to beat Buntan, a Suicune.

There's already talk about how she should be nerfed, lol. Though I think Namco isn't going to be hasty and see what comes of it since she's not out in arcades yet. She's not like the Mewtwos where they were some of the most common characters.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Since blocking is so weak I just don't see it outside of a panic button or blocking specific things... Where I'm at I'd rather chance it with the triangle then get backed into a corner.

Really? I've been thinking her burst mode was really good. Firespin combos into itself on aerial opponents and can be combod into, Fire Blast gets a ton of priority before it opens up (IIRC), she can easily get the SD attack buff which on top of burst gets ridiculous, her up strong > SD Flame Charge is just nutty when it doesn't run out, and her burst attack while the second weakest still has a ton of range that it reaches instantly which shuts down doing, well, anything reactable in neutral.

I don't think Braixen was supposed to have any big weaknesses... I mean, she's basically Pit 2.0 down to the strong midrange. It's just that they made her too strong overall. Even what's considered to be her worst MU probably isn't even that bad because Tonosoma, the Braixen, came in from losers to beat Buntan, a Suicune.

There's already talk about how she should be nerfed, lol. Though I think Namco isn't going to be hasty and see what comes of it since she's not out in arcades yet. She's not like the Mewtwos where they were some of the most common characters.
Oh, there's no such thing as a bad burst mode, just ones that don't provide as many tangible benefits as others... usually ones without mega evolutions (Chandelure probably has the "worst" since her moves gain no added effects and her burst attack is a counter with limited range)... though perhaps you could make the argument that Braixen doesn't really need any. As for her burst attack punishing any commitments, well you can say the same for a lot of other burst attacks (Charizard and his Searing Blaze are the undisputed rulers of this category), but hers doesn't cover jumps, and while it has a nice duration, plenty of fighters have ways of stalling it out.

Not that I would know much about her Suicune matchup (though I don't consider that legendary to be a particularly good character), but what exactly is it that makes it a disadvantage for her? Personally I've found that Mewtwo can eat through a lot of her field zoning with Psycho Cut, punish her greater ranged commitments with Hyper Beam and stop most of her approaches with Barrier->Confusion, even if it doesn't always result in a combo he doesn't have much to fear when using Barrier.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Not that I would know much about her Suicune matchup (though I don't consider that legendary to be a particularly good character), but what exactly is it that makes it a disadvantage for her? Personally I've found that Mewtwo can eat through a lot of her field zoning with Psycho Cut, punish her greater ranged commitments with Hyper Beam and stop most of her approaches with Barrier->Confusion, even if it doesn't always result in a combo he doesn't have much to fear when using Barrier.
I don't either, but then again that was a Suicune in GFs... Part of it is day 1 impressions where Mirror Coat shuts down autopilot zoning hard IMO. You still have to be pretty careful with her projectiles because they're all really slow and generally reactable, Not entirely sure what makes Suicune a bad MU past that but I definitely struggle against the character more then most others... I'm guessing it's the combination of zoning being tough and Suicune being capable enough up close to make it an uphill fight overall. Tonosoma's early-ish MU chart I believe had Suicune as a negative MU as well.

Mewtwo I'm not really sure about since I haven't found any good ones yet. Mostly it's a bunch of numbskulls spaming Hyper Beam and Psycho Cut that'll ragequit to Psybeam spam and crouching, lol. In a vacuum I don't struggle with those two moves a whole lot. In field phase I try staying evasive and use SH air dash fireballs and dashing fireballs > specials to get around those while in dual it's about being smart with what can be blasted with HB. Tonosoma had him as negative but that was before the first real patch even so I'm not sure what he thinks now.

Top Bottom