• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon UltraSun and UltraMoon discussion thread: New Pokeride featuring Mantine!

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
On Jun 6, 2017, Pokemon UltraSun and UltraMoon were first revealed to the world during the Pokemon Direct. These games will feature "an alternate story" to the Sun and Moon games, currently implying these games will be more like third versions similar to Emerald, Platinum, etc. They will also include Pokemon that weren't catchable in the original Sun and Moon games. The release date is set for November 17, 2017.

The legendary mascots for this game will bring back Solgaleo and Lunala, only this time, they will gain new forms that seem to resemble fusions with Necrozma of some sort, only compared to Kyurem, it seems that Necrozma acts more like a "reverse fusion" where it powers up the other two mascots. Here's how they look like below:

Here is the first trailer for these games:

Considering how successful the Sun and Moon thread was one year ago, I'd figure it would be a good idea to follow a suit with a successor thread featuring the upcoming games. This thread serves as a place to discuss all the news and hype regarding UltraSun and UltraMoon.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They are going to have to add some REALLY good pokemon to get me to buy this game

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
The Wii U is gone and the switch took its place..
Also the girl protagonist's hair looks rather cute.. I'm glad they seem to have more hair styles than sun/moon they definitely subtracted the good hair styles for multiple sub par ones since XY to SuMo.. I usually just stick to 2.. The long straight and the long wild hair.. But mostly straight.. The creepy emotionless eye stare looks to be coming back though..

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Things to expect for the remakes:

-all the Mega Stones available in some way that is not through an event
-move tutors returning
-Necrozma playing a major role (probably a given)
-an easier way to get the hidden abilities for Pokémon

...Think that's it. Did I miss anything?

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Things to expect for the remakes:

-all the Mega Stones available in some way that is not through an event
-move tutors returning
-Necrozma playing a major role (probably a given)
-an easier way to get the hidden abilities for Pokémon

...Think that's it. Did I miss anything?
Honestly, that sounds about right.

Would love for them to fix the lack of leveling options (O-Powers, more than one Lucky Egg, wild high-EXP-yield/high-level encounters to abuse scaling EXP properly), give us a fast movement option for breeding that doesn't involve holding a button and rotating a stick, and/or fill out a ton of the unexplorable areas in the original games, but these seem like reasonable expectations and improvements as a start.

I do feel kind of silly having bought both versions of Sun/Moon now, though.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'd really love to have the move relearner appear earlier in the game. I know it doesn't really matter, but I hated having to go through the entire story just to teach my Pokemon some better moves.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd really love to have the move relearner appear earlier in the game. I know it doesn't really matter, but I hated having to go through the entire story just to teach my Pokemon some better moves.
Teaching pokemon certain moves early kind of breaks the game

Start a new game with transferred over pokemon that start at the same level 5

But give them flamethrower, earthquake, ice beam, etc.

You just sweep EVERYONE without a problem

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Teaching pokemon certain moves early kind of breaks the game

Start a new game with transferred over pokemon that start at the same level 5

But give them flamethrower, earthquake, ice beam, etc.

You just sweep EVERYONE without a problem
This.

Honestly makes sense that the move relearner can't be encountered until much later, especially when we take in that we can now teach our Pokémon moves that it can learn at a later level.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wishes:
  • Easy/Hard Mode Returning
  • Move Tutors
  • Johto Alolan Forms
  • National Pokedex
  • Non-Event or Version Exclusive Mega Stones
  • Shorter Tutorials
  • Skip-able Cutscenes
I also want to also see things like Super Training or O-Powers, but I don't think that's realistic. Gen 7 so far hasn't done that much for me in terms of holding my interest.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If I can't have alolan Blastoise, Alolan Ampharos would be interesting

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I probably won't get either game, but I'm going to follow USUM's news for the sake of curiosity anyway :p

My prediction about how the Ultra forms will work:
- You need both Solgaleo/Lunala and Necrozma in your team, and the fusion can only be done in battle.
- You also need to have found a key item or whatever to upgrade your Z-Ring which you will find at some point during the main story, so it can do the fusion.
- The fusion is done through Necrozma's exclusive Z-move, only doable if you have said Z-Ring upgrade (which is obviously not found in SM) and if Necrozma knows Prismatic Laser and is not holding a Z-Crystal, and you have a non-fainted Solgaleo or Lunala in your team. That's right, Z-Move without a Z-Crystal, similar to how Rayquaza Mega Evolves without a Mega Stone.
- In those conditions, Prismatic Laser can be upgraded into Necrozma's exclusive Z-Move, "Ultra Fusion" or whatever. It smashes its body under an explosion of light, then at the end of the turn the trainer chooses a Solgaleo or Lunala in their party. Said Solgaleo or Lunala (if it is not already of the battlefield) comes out from their Poké Ball, and immediately fuses with Necrozma's body parts to take the appearance shown in the trailer. While fused, Necrozma is not considered as fainted, but is effectively unusable like a fainted Pokémon. The fusion ends when the fused Solgaleo or Lunala faints (in which case Necrozma also truly faints) or at the end of the battle.

Also my prediction for the stats:
Ultra Solgaleo: 137 HP / 173 Attack / 127 Defense / 113 Special Attack / 103 Special Defense / 127 Speed
Ultra Lunala: 137 HP / 113 Attack / 103 Defense / 173 Special Attack / 127 Special Defense / 127 Speed
Both with the ability Beast Boost and no type change. I made sure that the individual base stats remained prime numbers, just like the stats of every already existing Pokémon related to Ultra Space.

This can be pretty nasty as Necrozma takes hits pretty well thanks to good defensive stats, healing moves and lowered damage against super effective moves. Your opponent tries to defeat your Necrozma, and when you feel like the time has come you sacrifice it to switch safely into your ultra powerful form of Solgaleo or Lunala. Kinda like you can explode your Landorus (or other Pokémon with Explosion or Self-Destruct) once you no longer need it. The scariness is exacerbated by the fact that you're using a 780 BTS that is fast, bulky and powerful and can use an item.

By the way, I've made an USUM bingo, so whenever the games release, I'm gonna see if I got a line. I put it in spoiler, so if you want to make your own bingo, I encourage you to not see my own before, so you don't steal my ideas. (Don't worry I don't claim copyright on them, it's just that I encourage diversity of bingoes by not letting other people's bingo sheets influencing yours.)

Edit: by BTS I actually meant BST, for base stats total.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think Primarina is getting Boomburst

140 + STAB + Immune to shields

With no drawbacks

?

Vlade

Social Outcast
I finally want those hidden ability starters, particularly that intimidate Incineroar.

I actually passed on Black and White 2 because I had quit competitive (was playing OU at the time) and the single player no longer interested me, though looking back BW had maybe the most enjoyable story mode for me. I'm into VGC now so I'll be getting this game regardless if it's good or not but fingers crossed it's worth playing through.

EDIT: Primarina with boomburst sounds dope, might be what it needs to make it viable in VGC, but could also be too strong who knows

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wonder if the knowledge of Pokemon on Switch is going to cut into Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon copies sold

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
So there is an interesting theory involving rockruff but with so much being revealed about USM we have no idea if it's going to happen or not..

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
News has been kinda lacking concerning the new games.

I mean, I know they're remakes, but I also want to know if there was any other new forms being added, or if the region is laid out a little differently, you know?

EDIT:

We got a new Lycanroc form guys

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
News has been kinda lacking concerning the new games.

I mean, I know they're remakes, but I also want to know if there was any other new forms being added, or if the region is laid out a little differently, you know?

EDIT:

We got a new Lycanroc form guys
Recolored Pokémon is a thing now?

What next, new Pokemon - Green Pikachu

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Game Freak finally uploaded a new major trailer for US/UM:

Not much news from it, but we do see Kahili and Ryuki getting new roles of some sort. The following Pokemon also seems to have returned in some capacity.

They also released an updated image for the Alola map.

They did say there will be new areas to explore, but I only see some new buildings. There's also a dark portal hanging over Poni Island that resembles the Distortion World portal from the updated Sinnoh map in Platinum. Could this mean Giratina will be catchable as a post-game legendary this game?

I also want to mention that the Pokemon World Championship opening ceremony starts in 5 minutes. Knowing past Worlds opening ceremonies in times leading up to a major release, it's possible we might get more US/UM news there. Here's the link to watch the opening ceremony live:

https://www.twitch.tv/pokemon

UPDATE; The 2017 Worlds opening ceremony revealed Kommo-o is getting a new Z-move in US/UM. It will be called "Clangorous Soulblaze." It is an extremely powerful Dragon-type attack that hits both opposing Pokemon during a Double Battle, then raises all of Kommo-o's stats by one stage. Here's footage of this new Z-move:

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
That new Z-move...

I can see Kommo-o being used a lot in Doubles in the future.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still haven't seen anything from this that has excited me, but I at least have it preordered

Edit:

I kind of like Burst. Dunno why.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
A few new forms, 2 new UB, and some extremely minor changes.

They better announce something major soon otherwise this will be the first main game that I skip.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
We've got a new trailer for UltraSun/UltraMoon.

A new Pokeride will be implemented into the game: Mantine Surf. It will allow you to travel between islands while playing a surfing-like minigame. The Alola Pokedex has also expanded to be at least 400+ Pokemon, and some of the Island Trials from the original games have been updated. Mina also has her own trial now.

Solid trailer overall! That Mantine Pokeride feature sounds fun. If it really is a minigame that lets you travel between the islands, that would be pretty cool! I'm willing to bet those new beaches that we saw on the updated Alola map are likely the places where the Mantine Pokeride stops are located.

I don't mind Trials coming back; it's nice that they are changing them a bit, like Mallow's new Trial having to do with interacting with Sudowoodos, Sophcoles's trial involving some kind of robot-Vikavolt, Acerola's trial getting a bit more dramatic (at least from that scene alone where she yells "get out" over and over), and Totem Salazzle being replaced with Totem Alolan Marowak. Nice to see that Mina is finally getting a trial of her own as well; not having a trial was something that she really suffered from last game. Hopefully, the trial will be a good one. I also speculate she will replace the village chief as the person who takes you to Exeggutor Island, because the way they zoomed in on her while she was on top of the boat was an exact mirror to the village chief's introduction.

Glad to see the Alola dex will be expanded. Now I really hope Gallade's evolution line will be among those newly added 100 Pokemon. If so, that will probably boost my chances of buying Ultra Sun. I'd love to have Gallade on my story team, not to mention I can see him and Gardevoir fitting perfectly on some story-relevant characters' teams (Gallade would fit perfectly on Gladion's team, while Gardevoir would fit perfectly on Lusamine's team).

----------------------------------------------

On another note, new merchandise info from Takara Tomy has provided some details regarding the new Necrozma forms. Both forms retain the types of the legendary they combined with (so Psychic/Steel for the Dusk Mane Form while Psychic/Ghost for the Dawn Wings Form). Dusk Mane Necrozma is 3.8m tall and weighs 460kg (meaning it's double the weight of Solgaleo), while Dawn Wings Necrozma is 4.0m and 350kg (that is 230 kg more than what Lunala weighs).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE

A new trailer was released during today's Oha Suta episode.

This one showcases the main story elements to USUM; namely, that USUM still follows Sun and Moon's plot but with some major story changes.

There's a new cutscene of Nanu fighting Guzzlord, a new cutscene of incapacitated Lusamine, the return of Ya Boy, Kukui, and Burnet, and most notably, we get a first look at that mysterious team that appeared in one of the recent USUM posters. One of those mysterious people, the one who resembles Faba but with blue facial hair, is named "Zionara," and he talks about Necrozma's effects on Alola.

Last edited:
Top Bottom