• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer, Getting Good

Guide Pokemon Trainer, Getting Good

Shadeslayr

Smash Rookie
Shadeslayr submitted a new resource:

Pokemon Trainer, Getting Good - A guide that teaches you the basics of playing a good PKMN Trainer

Pokemon Trainer is a wildly popular character in Ultimate due to it's absence from the previous smash game and link to the nostalgia of the original Pokemon games. Because of this, it is hard to stand out as a good Pokemon Trainer instead of sinking back into crowd of sweaty 12 year olds that like to button mash. To get you up and running with the basics of being a good PKMN Trainer (or just PT as I will be referring to them as from now on), this guide should be all you need.

Read more about this resource...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
This is because Ivysaur is the best at killing of all three of the Pokemon (which we'll talk about later ;)).
I'm not sure I really agree with this. I definitely agree that Ivysaur is great at killing. Uair and Dair are amazing kill moves with its power and disjoint. Back Throw is really good as well, even if its held back a little by Ivy's slower grab. On the other hand, moves like Up Smash and sweetspotted Vine Whip are potent but difficult to land.

However I still think Charizard is able to kill more reliably, especially at higher percents. Up Smash is frame 6 and can be used out of shield, while Fly has super armor frames on frame 4. Bair is relatively safe due to its range and Fair kills at higher percents or while edgeguarding. Uair can be hard to land but its also fairly safe to throw out against an opponent above your head. Not to mention that amazing Up Throw for opponents who are really difficult to finish.

Charizard's one major weakness in the killing department is that he struggles to finish off defensive zoners because his big body makes it hard to approach and find safe opportunities for his kills moves, but I still find him to be more reliable at landing KOs then Ivysaur overall. He still is a superheavy after all and killing off of stray hits is just what they do.

Shadeslayr

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure I really agree with this. I definitely agree that Ivysaur is great at killing. Uair and Dair are amazing kill moves with its power and disjoint. Back Throw is really good as well, even if its held back a little by Ivy's slower grab. On the other hand, moves like Up Smash and sweetspotted Vine Whip are potent but difficult to land.

However I still think Charizard is able to kill more reliably, especially at higher percents. Up Smash is frame 6 and can be used out of shield, while Fly has super armor frames on frame 4. Bair is relatively safe due to its range and Fair kills at higher percents or while edgeguarding. Uair can be hard to land but its also fairly safe to throw out against an opponent above your head. Not to mention that amazing Up Throw for opponents who are really difficult to finish.

Charizard's one major weakness in the killing department is that he struggles to finish off defensive zoners because his big body makes it hard to approach and find safe opportunities for his kills moves, but I still find him to be more reliable at landing KOs then Ivysaur overall. He still is a superheavy after all and killing off of stray hits is just what they do.
You are correct in that Charizard is more RELIABLE when it comes to killing. He has more kill moves with larger hit boxes than Ivy. But what set's Ivy ahead of Charizard is it's speed and versatility. You're more likely to be able to get in close by zoning with lead-blade and shorthop nair than Charizard and thus more likely to get the kill than having to get a riskier Charizard hit.

In the end though, you should just kill with the Pokemon you are more comfortable with :)

Top Bottom