• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer complelety OP?

DatoSm

Smash Rookie
Hello I am new here!

I was reading through some buffs in Ultimate and saw that you could just easily break out of ANY combo by just switching your pokemon even mid air while being invinsible.
Thats what I consider to be broken.

What do you think? I will definitely main him btw.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
PT cannot change out of hitstun. It functions the same as an air dodge, but may be preferred in many cases due to slightly different timings and properties.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
however it should be known that when switching as a dodge, you may be switching to an unfavorable matchup. That and while switch may be a great defensive move, it does nothing for the approach of the character and you can even sacrifice neutral with it. It may be a great tool now but if all (or I'd argue even two) of pokemon trainer's pokemon have a bad matchup then he will still be at a disadvantage.

Long story short, switching may be great but it alone wont KO the opponent.

Last edited:

Thatonehelper

Smash Cadet
IMO Switch out as a move is NOT busted.

At first I thought it would be busted as well (the trailer).
We will have to see when the game comes out.

I used trainer myself (a little) during E3 and got opinions from others.
Generally, I hear the experienced veterans say it's very good.
But most took a conservative "we shall see" response and a good amount said it's not broken.

When I mentioned if it is comparable to Brawl Olimar's whistle spam, people said it does not even hold a candle to it.
I asked this to illicit a response. Yes, I know how to use Brawl Olimar and his Down B is busted.

I did hear a lot of "OMG it's busted" but I think these people are grossly overestimating its potential.
It is an extrememly good move, but it's not something to be spammed 24/7 with little consequence.
In the end, I'm not sure if this could be considered "broken", but it is very promising and very unique.

If you look at the youtube videos of ultimate trainer, switch out is broken comments are not uncommon.

In some situations its extrememly useful such as baiting in advantage&neutral and as a psuedo airdodge/spotdodge in disadvantage.

PKMN trainer will be somewhat different from his brawl iteration with all the buffs. Especially with all the Smash 4 changes of Zard coming over.

Last edited:

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
assuming the switch lets you dodge an attack during certain frames, won't it be possible to dodge during a combo and then use charizard Uair to kill or something? that sounds really good.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The point of the Pokemon is that they can switch.
The gimmick is alive now more than ever.

I think it is more than fair to trade a special move for the ability to do this.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
assuming the switch lets you dodge an attack during certain frames, won't it be possible to dodge during a combo and then use charizard Uair to kill or something? that sounds really good.
that's assuming a lot though. You have to first assume that Ivysaur has an attack that can combo into charizard's uair after switch. Then you have to assume that it is at a percentage that isn't so high that the enemy balloons away thus killing the combo but high enough that uair is a kill. Then assuming you have this golden combo, you have to assume that the player can switch to Ivysaur safely at said percentage or will naturally be Ivysaur at said percentage. All that and starting said combo has to be reliable enough warranting the whole preparation to begin with.

In the end, while switching is promising, there are way more factors that need to be in place for PT to be consider top tier or broken.

Now if you were talking about dodging an enemies combo, well that's impossible. It wouldn't be a true combo if you can dodge it and I don't believe PT can switch during hitstun. If its just a normal move that you are dodging to uair, that's a read and doesn't necessarily make switch anymore broken. It still provides the assumption that you can switch to charizard Uair after the read without the opponent being able to dodge themselves. That and it requires to be a specific pokemon to begin with. Charizard can more reliable do this in smash 4 with air dodge than he would be able to in ultimate.

Last edited:

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
Homelessvagrant Homelessvagrant Actually, to be true, you don't have to hit a character who's still in hitstun - that character just has to have no options that will get them out of it. That's part of why some stuff isn't true on Bayo that would be for literally any other character - she can bat within frame 1, which will save her from being hit when jump, attack, or air dodge would be slower than that or not get her far enough away.

That said, 38 frames of inaction with 8 frames of vulnerability is going to lead opponents being able to frame trap switches unless they're using committal kill moves or their momentum is such that they can't catch you with their followup.

Top Bottom