• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon trainer combos?

MuddyMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
MuddyMan
Combos for any of the Pokémon trainers Pokemon. I believe down throw up b For squirtle is a combo at low percent post any y’all find

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Tested on fire emblem level 9 Roy in training mode starting only at zero percentage who tried to counterattack me or dodge away as fast as c omputerly possible
Ivysaur combos

Dash attack can follow up into u tilt and or nair

Side tilt can set up tech chases though ivysaur has horrible running speed,I guess you can use razor leaf to cover that

Up throw into u air,Nair is pretty decent

Falling bair into f tilt is pretty good,can also connect into dash attack

Charizard combos

Up smash into u tilt always hit

Down throw into Nair sort of works

Squir tle combos

Down throw can combo into f tilt,d tilt

Falling fair or nair into d tilt,f tilt

Falling Nair into jab combo

U tilt c an combo into itself up to three times like a true juggle

Up throw into uair,nair is pretty good

Last edited:

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
Zard can still do most of his old throw combos:

back throw > fair.
down throw > nair/fair/uair/u tilt/ u smash (read di, u smash only works at very low percents)
u throw > fair.

Edit: some new zard combos

Running u-tilt:

At very low percents combos into jab.

At around 20% combos into down tilt, will whiff on smaller character. Around this percentage also combos into u-smash.

at mid percents (30ish to 60ish) it combos into fair.

Falling U-air:

At low percents it combos into u-smash. Much easier to do than in smash 4.

At mid percents it combos into itself. At 58% i managed to kill marth in the top platform of battlefield, i only tested it with the cpu so it probably didn't di optimally.

At around 65% it can combo into uair, bair and fair. The window seems pretty tight and you have to react to their di.

Last edited:

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
I've been mainly playing with ivysaur. Razor leaf is incredible honestly. Very little commitment, pretty quick and covers a lot of ground, and it leads into Nair, Fair, or RAR Bair. It's pretty spammable too. I love having opponents above me because Uair is insanely strong and has a pretty hefty hitbox. Fair can occasionally combo into itself at lower percents and it's still a chase option at higher percents. It's a disjointed attack so there is really no reason not to go for it. Landing with Nair to up tilt seems to be my go to option currently. You can do something like Nair to up tilt to Fair/bullet seed. Just make sure to get all the hits out of Nair before landing, otherwise it has next to 0 hitstun and people can hit you immediately before your FAF. Down throw to Uair seems to work at medium prevents but it's hard to land as a kill option on good DI. It may just be my timing though. Back throw kills which is nice though!

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I'm not sure how accurate training mode is with combo's but from what I've been testing against Marth and Lucina with CPU shuffling set to high this is what I got so far.

Squirtle

Up Throw to U-air works up until like 80ish percent. At lower percents you can do U-throw, U-air, jump, U-air, U-air/F-air/B-air depending on how you hit the U-air and DI.

Down Throw to Fair works till about the same percent

Ivysaur

Up throw to up b works at low percents

Up Throw to Uair works at mid percents

Down Throw to Fair/Nair works till mid percent

Down Throw to Up B also works up until like 85/90ish and can kill, I'm not 100% this is true though

Charizard

Down Throw to Fair works till almost 100% and can kill near the ledge.

I'm not 100% sure if any of these are true, as I don't know how trustworthy training mode is. But this is what I've found so far.

Last edited:

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
So i labbed Zard's falling u-air to u-air with human di and it seems to be a legit kill confirm on battlefields top platform at around 60%.

With proper spacing you can combo falling uair into u-tilt at low percents. This lets you do some silly combos like: Uair>u-tilt>u-tilt> fair.

Back throw combos into sweetspotted sh reverse nair at low percents, it seems to be better than backthrow> fair because of fair no longer auto cancelling.

Squirtle loves pivot cancelling.
I saw Leffen do pivot canceled f-tilt> f-tilt > f-tilt > grab > u-throw> u-air >u-air. It only works if your opponent does not have a frame 1 or 2 move.

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
I've been testing these two, "not true combos", but pretty consistents.

SQUIRTLE:
0%-10% bthrow -> dashattack -> utilt -> utilt -> sh nair -> grab ... dthrow -> uair -> nair (Damage +50%)
The second u-tilt depends on the character, and how high they are after the first one. The first nair needs to be hit with the early hitbox so you can get the time to do a grab reset.
You can do another uair or fair instead of the last nair, maybe even waterfall.
You can do one ftilt after the sh nair, if the enemy doesn't have a quick enough attack.

CHARIZARD:
0%-15% bthrow -> rar sh nair -> grab ... bthrow -> rar sh nair -> tech chase ... sh dair -> usmash (Damage +65%)
bthrow to rar nair is true on some characters, the grab reset is tricky and can't assure if it's true or not.
The nairs need to be sweetspotted, at least the second one, to force the opponent in a tech chase situation (I'm not sure if the height is enough for it to jump or not, tested jumping without di only).
dair to usmash is true.
Tech chase can be used to make a fsmash, dsmash read. But the most efficient is flareblitz since it can cover most of the options, aside from tight timed regular get up (Damage ~75%), but it damages yourself, and doesn't quite kill unless the opponent rolls away.
You can also do a rar sh bair after the bthrow, which will hit with a sweetspot and be a true combo.

Misfit.

Smash Rookie
For Zard down throw into flareblitz works at almost any percent. 0 - 45 no hop 45 to 85 short hop 85+ full hop

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
For Zard down throw into flareblitz works at almost any percent. 0 - 45 no hop 45 to 85 short hop 85+ full hop
Down throw to flare blitz is not a true combo, the opponent can just jump it or airdodge it. Despite looking like a single hit flare blitz hits twice, so its easy to get confused while looking at the combo counter.

With the new dash attack canceled rar b-air back throw to bair is much easier to do. If the opponent botches their di you can end their stock at around 40% at the ledge.

Also at around 40% falling u-air to sweetspoted back air will kill at the ledge. I can only see it working if you hard read a ledge get up attack and even then its very hard to hit it. You have to hit u-air as late as possible, read their di and do a fullhop bair (which thanks to sh aerial shortcut you can't buffer).

Last edited:

Muramishi

Smash Rookie
I find Squirtle in particular very fun to use and a strong choice to be active 80% of the time. Ivysaur is nice for closing out stocks, stage control, and having good set up options. Of course, Charizard is great for brute strength and boasting strong kill options.

Here's a combo video for each of the Pokémon:
-Squirtle-
-Ivysaur-
-Charizard-

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
I’ve been working on combos that have you switch Pokémon to continue the string, obviously there are no true combos because of the end lag in changing but if you can hit ivysaur fair when the opponent is in the air and around 40 ish you can down b into charizard then try for a flare blitz
Let me know if y’all find anything like that, cuz if I’m getting back into this char, I’m gonna do it as gimpy as possible

Last edited:

Retr_00001

Smash Rookie
with squirtle you can throw up, jump and tilt, and then if your timing and positions right, you can proceed to up b

Retr_00001

Smash Rookie
:GCZ::GCU:, :GCU::GCCUR:/:GCCR: (whichever one works), (and as you're falling), :GCU::GCB:

(I'm using gamecube controls cause I use a gamecube controller for ultimate)

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
Charizard's up air is such a fun move in this game.
On the top platform of battlefield Charizard can do fastfall up air to fly. It kills at around 30% and with rage it kills around 12%.

Ivysaur stuff: (stole some stuff off of hibikivgc)

Landing bair> bair/nair
Landing fair> nair> uair> up-b
Landing fair> neutral b
Landing uair> uair
D-throw> nair> uair> uair
(At very high percents) Late falling Side b> jumping side b> up air (probably not real requires further testing).

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
SQUIRTLE jab lock (JL)
Starters
bair (15-30%), has a good angle.
fair sends them too high, but may work
nair (30%), has to be done close to the ground
dtilt (30%)
jab3(35%), never thought of this one, but it works. :p

Combo
ftilt JL -> ftilt JL -> dash attack -> uair -> uair
Does more damage than a simple smash

Starter
ftilt (80%+) hard to react on hit, great angle until about 120%

jab JL -> jab JL -> USmash, kills around 95% (before ftilt hits, any smash can be done, waterfall is the easiest to combo)

You can use Ftilt again to force another teching situation, and probably another jab lock.

IVYSAUR has no reliable starters, maybe nair, but there is not much I can say.

Dtilt may be considered an starter, but Ivysaur may not reach the target in time, so... maybe...
I couldn't find any great punish, best move to do is bullet seed, but is character and % dependent. So I suggest a Fsmash.

CHARIZARD
Starters
Dtilt (20%-50), after that chasing a Jab Lock is way too hard to reach up in time.
Ftilt (25% sweetspot) hard.
Nair(60%+), high risk, but useful.

jab JL -> jab JL -> USmash/Dsmash/Fly

You can run back a little after the jab lock then do a flareblitz towards the opponent, covering all the options (except waiting then rolling/get up).
After any dtilt or ftilt at high percents you are better off using flareblitz instead of going for a jab lock. I guess.

Last edited:

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
The most important squirtle combos come from down throw or dash. You basically need to sit in training mode and reset practice long squirtle strings to play him effectively.

Down throw looks something like this, but can change with weight and size: D-throw-> up tilt-> up tilt (sometimes) -> up air -> up air -> fair -> read their defense. down throw fair works on basically everybody, but gets you the least.

You can true combo that in training and in game against most medium to large characters. The key is getting at least 1 up tilt which sets up the up airs. Up airs don't send as far as fair which allows the string to continue. You also land right in front of them and get another read on their tech or lack of tech. Start with a beefy boy like king K to learn the string.

Dash attack can also lead into the double up air fair string, but it varies a bit. If you hit them right after you use dash attack, you will go behind them, so the most natural follow up is a bair that sometimes combos into itself. If you hit them with the later part of dash, you'll be right under them and you can do a up tilt uair uair fair.

Theres a pretty good squirtle combo video by JoeK on youtube. Its 27 min long so you can kinda get a feel for the bread and butters that he uses over and over out of various initial hits.

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
Following arbustopachon's notes on ivysaur
0-25% Bair->Bair FF-> BulletSeed/SH Uair/ SH Nair / Utilt

Uair and Nair are the most consistent, the other ones are character dependent.

Also
Uthrow-> SH Uair FF -> VineWhip ( Yuo have to jump as soon as you can and do the Vinewhip moving the stick upward, or to wherever the target is)

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
So i found another nifty thing about Zard's u-air, it combos into grab at very low percents!

I need to test it on more characters (small light character might be sent too far to be grabbed), but it at least works on the swordsmen and it is easier to land than u-tilt and sets them up for an edgeguard.

So ff u-air> grab> pummel> b-throw> nair/fair/bair/u-smash/dash attack is a thing. If they di in you can even get u-tilt> fair.

So yeah, Zard's falling uair is scary. A shame its hitbox is so bad.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
The most important squirtle combos come from down throw or dash. You basically need to sit in training mode and reset practice long squirtle strings to play him effectively.

Down throw looks something like this, but can change with weight and size: D-throw-> up tilt-> up tilt (sometimes) -> up air -> up air -> fair -> read their defense. down throw fair works on basically everybody, but gets you the least.

You can true combo that in training and in game against most medium to large characters. The key is getting at least 1 up tilt which sets up the up airs. Up airs don't send as far as fair which allows the string to continue. You also land right in front of them and get another read on their tech or lack of tech. Start with a beefy boy like king K to learn the string.

Dash attack can also lead into the double up air fair string, but it varies a bit. If you hit them right after you use dash attack, you will go behind them, so the most natural follow up is a bair that sometimes combos into itself. If you hit them with the later part of dash, you'll be right under them and you can do a up tilt uair uair fair.

Theres a pretty good squirtle combo video by JoeK on youtube. Its 27 min long so you can kinda get a feel for the bread and butters that he uses over and over out of various initial hits.
For dthrow > double uptilt to work at 0% more consistently, you need to walk slightly forward after the dthrow, then do an uptilt, go slightly forward again, then uptilt again. And by "walk slightly" I mean walking for so little time so quickly that it's hard to even see it between the attacks.
Thanks to buffer you can just be holding forward while doing dthrow and uptilt to stutter forward in between the hits, then uptilt out of the walk immediately. This also allows for the first uptilt to hit on a wider range of characters.
Generally, if you can get the first uptilt, then you can get the second one too by doing this. For characters like Fox whom you can't even get a single uptilt out of dthrow on, this obviously won't help. And against the lightest of floaties like Jiggs, if you can even get the first uptilt, then it'll launch them too high for the second one.

Note: this only works with c-stick set to attack because you can't uptilt while holding another direction without it.

For clarification in case my explaination isn't good: with c-stick set to attack, try using uptilt repeatedly while holding forward. So long as you don't too fast that you perfectly buffer one uptilt into the next, Squirtle will move slightly forward between each uptilt. This is what you're doing out of the dthrow.

You might even actually be able to do this in order to get three or more uptilts on certain characters.

Last edited:

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
For dthrow > double uptilt to work at 0% more consistently, you need to walk slightly forward after the dthrow, then do an uptilt, go slightly forward again, then uptilt again. And by "walk slightly" I mean walking for so little time so quickly that it's hard to even see it between the attacks.
Thanks to buffer you can just be holding forward while doing dthrow and uptilt to stutter forward in between the hits, then uptilt out of the walk immediately. This also allows for the first uptilt to hit on a wider range of characters.
Generally, if you can get the first uptilt, then you can get the second one too by doing this. For characters like Fox whom you can't even get a single uptilt out of dthrow on, this obviously won't help. And against the lightest of floaties like Jiggs, if you can even get the first uptilt, then it'll launch them too high for the second one.

Note: this only works with c-stick set to attack because you can't uptilt while holding another direction without it.

For clarification in case my explaination isn't good: with c-stick set to attack, try using uptilt repeatedly while holding forward. So long as you don't too fast that you perfectly buffer one uptilt into the next, Squirtle will move slightly forward between each uptilt. This is what you're doing out of the dthrow.

You might even actually be able to do this in order to get three or more uptilts on certain characters.
Right, i use the same technique with tilt stick. The timing is really nuanced and kind of annoying in a way. Its really easy to mess up. Sometimes i feel like its easier just to go right for an up air for the floatier ones and small fast fallers seem to be the hardest to true combo an up tilt. Might make sense just to down throw fair them and cash in on some damage and possible tech chase etc.

Anyway, the d throw strings seem to take a boat load of practice in the training mode to learn basically 1 by 1 for each matchup. Dash attack is a lot easier imo, in spite of how it dashes through and sometimes puts them behind you. The strings seem more natural.

Last edited:
Top Bottom