• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Sword and Shield Discussion Thread: Crown Tundra DLC Available Now! Time to Catch Those Legendary Pokemon!

Which Version Do You Plan on Getting?

• Sword

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Shield

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Both

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Fire-Flying and Ice-Flying were great types with great offensive coverage from the primary type and spikes immunity from the second, until some ******* had the brilliant idea to invent the Sneaky Peebles and never EVER give them the well-deserved nerf they need. At least they should reduce the PP of this monstruosity to 8 or being generous 16 so you can't keep spamming them anymore, and halving their damage output would also be nice considering how easy to use they are.
I'd argue part of the reason entry hazards are so strong in Pokemon's metagame is because its main battle system is a 1v1 where predictive switching in and out gains momentum on top of answers to deal with hazards having such dumb and reliable counterplay like Rapid Spin and Defong having little distribution, Rapid Spin being negatable by Ghost switchins and Defog limited to most Flying Pokemon and stuff like Scizor where you can freely send out somethibg with Volt Switch or even Magnezone and not lose much momentum.

Meanwhile, the offical 2v2vformat of VGC, you almost never see hazards and most other monster collectors have 3v3.

Even a metagame like Yo-Kai Watch 3 which has tons of threats that set up field hazards on the opponent's grid makes them way more reliable to deal with.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
This sucked... Pokemon Sw/Sh Zeraora Event

Keep in mind, you can't catch these... If we get the goal, I'll get it back but... Still hurts my heart...

Omay so the imaga was 'too big' to upload, but it was a square shiny, and we lost in four moves, even with my Level 100 Venusaur with Earthquake, Sludge Bomb, Leaf Storm, and Power Whip... It also has level-10 DMax level...

I'm big sad

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
I'd argue part of the reason entry hazards are so strong in Pokemon's metagame is because its main battle system is a 1v1 where predictive switching in and out gains momentum on top of answers to deal with hazards having such dumb and reliable counterplay like Rapid Spin and Defong having little distribution, Rapid Spin being negatable by Ghost switchins and Defog limited to most Flying Pokemon and stuff like Scizor where you can freely send out somethibg with Volt Switch or even Magnezone and not lose much momentum.

Meanwhile, the offical 2v2vformat of VGC, you almost never see hazards and most other monster collectors have 3v3.

Even a metagame like Yo-Kai Watch 3 which has tons of threats that set up field hazards on the opponent's grid makes them way more reliable to deal with.
Still, the damn things offer WAY too much reward for such little effort, and require a significantly bigger investment to get rid of than to lay out (rapid spin is even more hard countered by rocky helmet recoil, and Defog has way too low PP to win the war of attrition against bulky SR users.

In 1v1 Battle Spot Singles they are also less prominent since the availability of certain pokemon makes the games much shorter and dynamic (wich I really appreciate, this metagame SHOULD have been the official for everyone since the start), but since the Gen 7 BSS meta got eliminated from all simulators, we are stuck with the bullcrap abomination they call OU if we want to play singles. Either that or go to the even worse abomination that is Gen 8.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Still, the damn things offer WAY too much reward for such little effort, and require a significantly bigger investment to get rid of than to lay out (rapid spin is even more hard countered by rocky helmet recoil, and Defog has way too low PP to win the war of attrition against bulky SR users.

In 1v1 Battle Spot Singles they are also less prominent since the availability of certain pokemon makes the games much shorter and dynamic (wich I really appreciate, this metagame SHOULD have been the official for everyone since the start), but since the Gen 7 BSS meta got eliminated from all simulators, we are stuck with the bullcrap abomination they call OU if we want to play singles. Either that or go to the even worse abomination that is Gen 8.
Alternatively, you can also try playing a monster collector that DOESN'T stink, of which there are many instead of wasting time on what is arguably a terrible metagame that tends to reward more luck than actual skill to begin with.

Looking back on so many of my old Pokemon Showdown Replays and seeing how I gained so much from lucky crits and misses rather than actual skill really makes me glad I chose to spend more time playing anything else.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Alternatively, you can also try playing a monster collector that DOESN'T stink, of which there are many instead of wasting time on what is arguably a terrible metagame that tends to reward more luck than actual skill to begin with.

Looking back on so many of my old Pokemon Showdown Replays and seeing how I gained so much from lucky crits and misses rather than actual skill really makes me glad I chose to spend more time playing anything else.
Is there any that offers a competitive PvP that improves the luck/skill ratio in a significant way and offers a deep and varied metagame? I'm open to suggestions, excluding Yokai that I have tried once and found it ten times worse than Pokemon

Last edited:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Is there any that offers a competitive PvP that improves the luck/skill ratio in a significant way and offers a deep and varied metagame? I'm open to suggestions, excluding Yokai that I have tried once and found it ten times worse than Pokemon

Can you say why? Cuz having played Yo-Kai Watch 1, 2, 3 and Busters to completion, I'd quite easily say it's 10 times better in every way compared to Pokemon; animation, story, multiplayer, metagame balance and variety, challenge, etc. If you only played the first game or its bad demo then you only played like 10% of what it has to offer since it doubles in size and triples in quality every game. It's not like Pokemon where you can expect almost no improvements and the exact same thing in its sequels.

I also ask why because from personal experience, people give it flack for issues that were either already fixed in a sequel or are issues that don't actually exist either because they never actually played or finished the game or did even an ounce of research, like claiming the game has no challenge or difficulty when minibosses alone like Snartle and Awevil have given even experienced players trouble or claiming the game has no multiplayer when the Busters mode exists.

But aside from that, World of Final Fantasy has an online metagame but not for its Switch port. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory Complete Edition is pretty okay in terms of metagame thanks to it sporting the Hacker's Memory rebalances.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Been a few months since this thread saw some activity, but seeing that a new presentation for Pokemon Sword and Shield: The Crown Tundra DLC expansion was released today, I figured I'd bump this thread by sharing the 11 minute presentation that was shown for this DLC expansion you can watch it below:

The Crown Tundra will release in the U.S. on October 22nd, and it will release for Europe and Japan the day after that on October 23rd.

They will also begin to release a new physical bundle for Pokemon Sword and Shield that will already contain both the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra expansion passes on November 6th.

You can also now download the first version of Ash's Pikachu featuring the Original Cap starting today by inputting this password: P1KACHUGET. More passwords for the other Pikachu hats will release overtime.

Also stay tuned for the end of the presentation for a very nice music video that feels a nostalgic throwback to all of the past generations.

Some other details about the Crown Tundra pass that were not shown in the presentation:
  • Galarian Slowbro is a Poison/Psychic-type. It has a new special move called Eerie Spell which removes 3 PP from the opponent's last move and a new ability called Curious Medicine which resets all stat changes when it enters the battle.
  • There will be a new item that will release in the Crown Tundra called the Ability Patch, which will allow you to a change a Pokemon's ability to their Hidden Ability (now this is a godsend!).
  • In Dynamax Adventures, players will take 3 Pokemon from their team to the adventure, but only one can be summoned at a time for each battle. Reduced HP and PP will carry over from previous battles as well.

Last edited:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
  • Galarian Slowbro is a Poison/Psychic-type. It has a new special move called Eerie Spell which removes 3 PP from the opponent's last move and a new ability called Curious Medicine which resets all stat changes when it enters the battle.
And it's likely not going to make any difference due to having such a terrible typing, Slowking naturally being slow and unimpressive stat-wise and there being better Trick Room options anyway for it to get off an Eerie Impulse that probably isn't going to matter against moves with like 10 or more PP which tend to be more consistent options as opposed to moves like Draco Meteor or Fire Blast. That Ability is only ever going to come into play to try to stop something setting or for Intimidate situations in Doubles and even in either one, you're proably better off running Clefable anyway.

• There will be a new item that will release in the Crown Tundra called the Ability Patch, which will allow you to a change a Pokemon's ability to their Hidden Ability.
Took them long enough but way too little too late to sell me where I'm concerned.

• In Dynamax Adventures, players will take 3 Pokemon from their team to the adventure, but only one can be summoned at a time for each battle. Reduced HP and PP will carry over from previous battles as well.
And you'll likely still likely have to put up with lugging around useless allies with terrible AI unless you have 4 friends willing to go through this slog with you, still making it an embarassment of a multiplayer mode compared to ones like Yo-Kai Watch Busters-T.

Top Bottom