• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Sword and Shield Discussion Thread: Crown Tundra DLC Available Now! Time to Catch Those Legendary Pokemon!

Which Version Do You Plan on Getting?

• Sword

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Shield

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Both

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So if we end up getting a gen 8 pokemon as smash dlc, who do you think it could be?
I’d say probably Rillaboom, since we’re missing a solo grass starter, and is probably gonna end up as the favorite starter evo.
DracoVish.png

This guy

I don't want the starters to be in Smash. I don't like them

Edit:

This guy here. He's good. Glad I already had him picked out for my A Team. Fire Lash on a pokemon that can actually use it!
1573019375146.png

Last edited:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
https://youtu.be/QWGGtKgalDo

The Official Pokemon YouTube Channel has confirmed Nature Mints that change a Pokemon's Nature, medicine items now no longer have the 100 EV cap and can max out for the 252 EV cap instead and that Pokemon of the same species can pass on Egg moves.

Sure is grand they finally decided to implement stat maxing, personality customization and inheritance mechanics that been part of any big monster collector RPG series in Shin Megami Tensei, Dragon Quest Monsters, Digimon and Yo-Kai Watch for decades already. Real nice.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Dayum, TPC is really not messing around with leakers this time it seems.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1192399249692135426
That's certainly very strange considering the fact SM's whole PokeDex among other stuff was also leaked early due to the data dumps from the demo release. As far as I know, they still sent out review copies for SM. What's different this time around for them to change that other than their decision to cut the Pokemon from Pokemon for no good reason and consumers calling them out for it?

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Well, I heard that employee morale at GameFreak is at an all-time low as well.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/348697-rumor-morale-at-game-freak-at-an-all-time-low

Maybe they don't want to admit that all budget they had was mostly funneled towards the Gigamax transformations and little else.
A friend of mine has actually done a ton of research involving Game Freak employment. In spite of its huge revenue, employees are barely paid more than minimum wage. You could get a just as good or more profitable work anywhere else and given Japan's work policies, you can imagine overworking and late night shifts to be a common issue. I can provide evidence if needed.

It's only natural they would be disheartened that all that work making median pay for an understaffed company would be stressful but it's not like they don't have the capital to fix that and afford delays.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, I guess Blastoise IS in the game

...I guess I gotta get the game

alexandrite92

Smash Rookie
All Ultra Beast is absent in the game. Although with the inclusion of all three legendary of Alola region gives me hope that Ultra Beast might invade the Galar region.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
So, I guess Blastoise IS in the game

...I guess I gotta get the game
Yep, along with the Alolan starters, so our favorites are seemingly being added in later in events I guess? We don’t really know when they can be allowed in yet.

Also being added in are some legends, which is disappointing because the one great thing about dex cuts is the loss of Pokemon that are just plain stronger than the rest. Thankfully if I recall, the ones we're getting would either be banned online by the game itself and the ones that'd be allowed aren't too oppressive. And I've always had a soft spot for Jirachi...

Still kinda miss a few, though not as bad as Litten. Zoroark, Minior, Lycanroc, Greninja, Volcarona to go with Frosmouth. And it's crazy that Porygon2 and Z are gone. No one has a computer in Galar? Come on.

I've been going back and forth in my mind about what to do with this game. If I discover it is easy to hack a Nintendo Switch to work with Pkhex I'd warm up to the idea. Pkhex made online battling in Sun full of fun variety and convenience. Even with things being made easier this gen, I still hate preparing Pokemon for online. It's like work that I have to do to play the game for me, not a part of the game.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Here's an interesting question. Have any of the new pokemon made it to your top 6 favorites? I'm not actually sure myself. There are quite a few I do like but I'm not sure where they'd be in my top listing.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
So if we end up getting a gen 8 pokemon as smash dlc, who do you think it could be?
I’d say probably Rillaboom, since we’re missing a solo grass starter, and is probably gonna end up as the favorite starter evo.
I would go with Centiskorch or either Eternatus.
A final evo starter would bore me to death. (it's not fair that they get in Smash over other unique Pokemon.)

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I would go with Centiskorch or either Eternatus.
A final evo starter would bore me to death. (it's not fair that they get in Smash over other unique Pokemon.)
I wouldn't count on that

Cinderace's ability is renamed protean. It's going to be the most competitively viable.

It's also got a starring role in the anime

Edit:

Here's my planned teams. I made a sword and shield team even though I'm not getting Sword AND Shield

Fancy Team.png

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's important to note that Scorbunny goes with Gou, and not Ash, and whichever Pokémon that ends up under Ash's care is usually likelier to get in. So it could be which remaining starter he ultimately goes with.

Or someone completely different gets chosen from a movie appearance, although the likelihood of that is low.

Cinderace would have to provide something fundamentally different to stand out in regards to gimmicks (seeing as type-change abilities don't get accounted for in Smash, it seems), otherwise we'll end up with a Brawl situation of a whole gen being skipped over. With Incineroar, it was "wrestler", and Greninja it was, well, "ninja". Would "soccer player" be distinct enough?

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Here's an interesting question. Have any of the new pokemon made it to your top 6 favorites? I'm not actually sure myself. There are quite a few I do like but I'm not sure where they'd be in my top listing.
1573657714068.png

These three are pretty awesome. Dragapult's design especially, while the other two have Gygantimax forms. All three have two type immunities (Dark has a "third" in Prankster moves), which I love because that adds a layer of reward for switching in at the right time. Great abilities too. Being able to bypass obstructions with Dragapult, reflect stat nerfs (another kind of immunity!), and Grimmsnarl getting priority with status moves. Three clear winners from this generation for me. Corviknight as a bird gets Defog which is worth mentioning too.

Honorable mention to this guy:
1573658014551.png

More immunities than Dragapult, and can even steal troublesome abilities, so just great to switch in with as well. Need to see this in motion honestly because I'm not super keen on its appearance, but I like the original form so I'm open to the idea of liking this one's look.

1573658116386.png

More utility! Mr. Rime removes damage reduction barriers and can learn Rapid Spin. Weezing learns Defog and removes troublesome abilities. Hatterene has Magic Bounce, also great for blocking annoying hazards, and another good one for switching in if you predict right!

1573658234985.png

LOVE this fossil Pokemon idea, and I find the designs wonderfully awkward in a fun way. They all absorb either water or electric moves as well, and beating a dead horse here, but I enjoy immunities, especially if they can heal them if they were previously hurt! There's a forth one of these but it seems to be like a fish, and overall I don't like fish because they look weird as hell battling on land. @_@

1573658434080.png

These are what's left that I just simply like. Frosmoth looks beautiful, Duraludon just looks cool and has a cool typing, Eiscue is kinda funny and potentially annoying for your opponent if you've got some hail going. Rapidash is a Toxic counter and is pretty. Falinks has a fun design and I've heard has a move that just raises all its stats. Cursola forces a switch. And Cinderace's HA Libero, whenever that becomes available(?), will be fun just like Protean was for Greninja who I wish still existed. Usage-wise I'm not crazy about Purrserker, but I love cats, even when he barely seems to be one anymore lol. The rest are just neat.

It's important to note that Scorbunny goes with Gou, and not Ash, and whichever Pokémon that ends up under Ash's care is usually likelier to get in. So it could be which remaining starter he ultimately goes with.

Or someone completely different gets chosen from a movie appearance, although the likelihood of that is low.

Cinderace would have to provide something fundamentally different to stand out in regards to gimmicks (seeing as type-change abilities don't get accounted for in Smash, it seems), otherwise we'll end up with a Brawl situation of a whole gen being skipped over. With Incineroar, it was "wrestler", and Greninja it was, well, "ninja". Would "soccer player" be distinct enough?
I think it could be interesting to have a fighter that has a Luma gimmick where it spawns a "soccer" ball next to Cinderace at the start and whenever it's kicked off stage you have to wait a bit for it to spawn again. Maybe both players can hit it but when Cinderace's moves "kick" it, it's damage and knockback is greater. That would probably be fun.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
IGN gave the game 9.3/10. Once again, you can't spell IGNORANT without IGN. Even if the game is enjoyable, there is no way with all the bugs and glitches and poor graphics it deserves a score that high.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I have a hunch Nintendo is begging (or paying) people to review it this favorably. There’s no way this should be reviewing better than games like Heart Gold/Soul Silver and Platinum

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
I have a hunch Nintendo is begging (or paying) people to review it this favorably. There’s no way this should be reviewing better than games like Heart Gold/Soul Silver and Platinum
i'm sure it's you're nostalgia speaking atm,
when are you people going to stop hating on this game? and no, bringing the National Dex back is not a good enough reason -.-
if it gets a better score then other games then that already says something doesn't it?

how about you play the game first? then you can say whether it deserves the score or not.
to me the game looks great! and i look really forward to playing it!

Grumbo

Smash Ace
i'm sure it's you're nostalgia speaking atm,
when are you people going to stop hating on this game? and no, bringing the National Dex back is not a good enough reason -.-
if it gets a better score then other games then that already says something doesn't it?

how about you play the game first? then you can say whether it deserves the score or not.
to me the game looks great! and i look really forward to playing it!
I can pass a judgement on a game without playing it. Its not like I have infinite money to throw around just to decide if I like a game. If a game is missing important features or lacking in content or quality Im not gonna spend my money on it, and I can make a pretty good conclusion on whether I’d like or not. Thats what marketing is for, and it sure hasnt done its job for me.

There are plenty more rpgs id rather spend my time and money on. DQ11, Three Houses, and a ton of ports and games I have in my backlog.

And on a personal note, the cuts are enough to keep me away. Very few of my favorites are in, I could make a list but lets just say Gengar, Flygon, Jolteon, and maybe Venasaur (If he even makes it) are the only ones out of 20+. My Emboar from White, my Greninja and Alakazam from X, my Sceptile from Alpha Sapphire, and countless others are barred from the game.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Little PSA here i've seen on Twitter:

If you're playing on the digital Eshop version of the game, turn autosaves off.

There are reports the autosave will corrupt the game and delete your save data so you have to redownload it and it will also corrupt save files of other games on your Switch.

If you have Switch Online to back up save data to the cloud, this won't be too bad but since Pokemon Sword and Shield doesn't have that feature, you'll have to start the game all over again.

Also, if you unironically choose to take game review sites seriously just because of Sword and Shield, then perhaps these images are proof you would be better off playing any other monster collector besides Pokemon anyway. That's certainly what I've been doing and would have recommended regardless of review sites.

Attachments

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It seems to be similar to the issue when using Piranha Plant on Century Smash, just worse.

I think FAT32-formatted SD cards should be fine, but yeah that sucks.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Forgot to check this thread, and thus missed out on notifications for it these past few days.

Started Pokemon Sword yesterday, and I am enjoying it! Currently in the Wild Area doing some exploration before heading to Motostoke.

So, anyone else already have their teams planned out? I know I do

- Intelleon. I have friends getting the other two, and honestly, Intelleon doesn't get much love imo
- Corviknight. My favorite new Pokemon design by far. I love regional birds but MAN they knocked this one out of the park!
- Obstagoon. I'm a filthy gen 3 fan, and need to pick up my trash panda
- Machamp. Has a new Gigantamax form, and I love Machamp (Even got me a shiny yesterday in preparation)
- Hatterene. I like the design, even if it is a new waifumon, plus it fills a few holes with weaknesses/resistances
- Toxtricity, the Toxel evo. I initially just put it here to plug more holes on my teams, but the design grew on me super quick, and I think it looks lovely

Special mention: Arctozolt (he's a great concept and so goofy, I love him)
-Intelleon: It won me over when I saw that concept art of it posing like a spy with a finger gun; seeing it in action makes it look so cool! Glad to still be on Team Sobble!
-Corviknight: Super dope for a regional bird with some solid stats. Definitely my planned Flying-type for the team.
-Grimmsnarl: Looks very menacing and cool! It's Gigantamax form looks awesome and even reminds of the Attack Titan from AoT! I know what I'm naming it!
-Toxtricity: Pretty neat Electric-type 'mon! Neat idea how it evolves based on nature. I'll probably try getting the Low Key form after seeing which nature benefits it the most.
-Centiskorch: Another great design with some solid typing! Definitely will help the team out to use Fire-type moves.
-Gallade: Because it's my favorite Pokemon, and if Ralts is obtainable in the story, Gallade automatically becomes a member of the story team! Already doing research regarding where to find the Dawn Stone b/c I want to evolve my Gallade as soon as possible.

Honorable mention goes to Chandelure: It's my favorite Gen 5 Pokemon not counting Meloetta, and it could serve as a possible replacement to Centiskorch as the Fire-type member of the team.

Not sure if any Galar Pokemon has made it to my top 6 favorites, but there are a few that I can see being in the top 10: Intelleon and Sobble, Corviknight and its pre-evolutions, Grimmsnarl and its pre-evolution, and Hatterene are definitely my favorites so far. Experiencing them in action will probably make me determine which out of all of these ends up as my favorite.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sobble - Not a complete fan of it's evolutions, but I want a Water Pokemon and it fits the bill.
Ponyta - Have always been fan it's OG design, so I'd like to see how this new version works out.
Rolycoly - I like it's design and it's evolutions seem cool.
Appletun - I want a Grass type and as a Sceptile fan I can't pass up a Grass/Dragon.
Snom - Cool typing (even though it's terrible defensively) and abilities.
Toxel - Not sure which evolved form, but I like the typing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>Leon
>suspected by fans to be the bad guy
>actually turns out doofy enough to have Ryoga's sense of direction, and actually needs to be picked up by the MC
>my face when:
3bzjyw.jpg

I'm kinda glad when some things are not nearly as predictable.

Also, it seems that several of the Pokémon apparently have some pretty obscure and frankly odd evolution requirements.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I feel like Rolycoly had so much wasted potential with it's evolutions of becoming a train Pokemon. Instead we got ripoffs of Golem and Rhyperior.
Rolycoly: "Why oh why oh why Gamefreak..."

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I'm torn between Scorbunny and Sobble. I love Sobble's final evo, but Scorbunny has a 150 BP physical move that burns, and has Protean for a hidden ability. Help!

Edit: Just took Scorbunny. Hopefully I can get a Sobble through trading soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom