• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Scarlet & Violet Versions Announced

pokemon gen 9.png

In the latest Pokémon Presents, Game Freak has just confirmed the latest additions to the mainline Pokémon series: Pokémon Scarlet version and Pokémon Violet version. You can watch the reveal trailer below:

The trailer included a look at the variety of areas for the new region. Although no battling was shown in the trailer, we did see a lot of Pokémon walking around in many open different open areas.

The trailer also revealed the three starter Pokémon for this generation. They are the grass type kitten Sprigatito, the fire type crocodile Fuecoco, and the water type duck Quaxly.

People have pointed out that the new region is most likely inspired by Spain, based off both the intro of the trailer as well as the region itself containing similarities to actual Spain landmarks. Additionally, the names of the starters contain puns on Spanish words (gatito = little cat, fuego = fire, coco = coconut).

Pokémon Scarlet & Violet versions will be releasing later in 2022.

Outside of the Gen IX announcement, there was also a plethora of other news in the Pokémon Presents:
  • Pokémon Go to receive Alolan (Gen VII) Pokémon on March 1st.
  • Pokémon Masters EX will be getting a Victory Road mode, where you battle past Champions consecutively.
  • Pokémon Café Remix will now have the ability for Pelipper to deliver drinks to Pokémon from far away, including Victini.
  • Pokémon Unite will be getting a mayhem mode where you can battle with cooldowns. Duraludon will also be coming at a later date.
  • Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl will be getting the Oak's letter item which will allow players to obtain Shaymin.
  • Pokémon Arceus will be getting a Daybreak update which focuses on mass outbreaks, which is available today. Players who enter "ARCEUSADVENTURE" as a mystery code before March 31st will receive 30 Ultra, Gigaton, and Jet balls.
    • Additionally, Pokémon Arceus will also be receiving an anime adaptation.
It should going without saying that Pokémon fans have a lot to look forward to this year.

Credits:
Writing/Editing: Sari Sari
Social Media: @Zerp

Author's Note: What was your favorite announcement from today? Also, which Gen 9 starter is your favorite? Let us know in the comments below!

Sari

Comments

I'm guessing we will have a grass lion, a fire-snake like creature, and finally a duck that perhaps, to me, feels a bit more duelist of some sort. If I was going based on the second-type pairings, possibly:

Grass/Fairy
Fire/Dark
Water/Fighting

These ones are rather hard to figure out but looking forward to seeing the results. I am also surprised that we didn't see the Legendaries. I wouldn't be surprised that Scarlet and Violet Legendaries are gender-based with Scarlet being male and Violet being female and with royalty being a huge focus.

I have looked at what kind of stuff Spain has to offer since Kalos, Alola and Galar had so many unique Pokemon that really tied French/Hawaiian/British history and traditions and culture. I have come to realize I know very little of Spanish culture and what I do know stems more so of the Central/South American variety.

I am also going to say it now...

I was hoping we would see a region based off of Australia, Brazil, Egypt, Scandinavia, or Philippines rather than Spain. My own personal region I made was a megaregion called Trinat which ecompassed the southern reaches of Spain, Italy, and North Africa is a region that emulated the Mediterranean. Each region had its own (yet slightly reduced) Pokedex and you could start in any of the regions and start your quest from there.

I'm guessing we will have a grass lion, a fire-snake like creature, and finally a duck that perhaps, to me, feels a bit more duelist of some sort. If I was going based on the second-type pairings, possibly:

Grass/Fairy
Fire/Dark
Water/Fighting

These ones are rather hard to figure out but looking forward to seeing the results. I am also surprised that we didn't see the Legendaries. I wouldn't be surprised that Scarlet and Violet Legendaries are gender-based with Scarlet being male and Violet being female and with royalty being a huge focus.

I have looked at what kind of stuff Spain has to offer since Kalos, Alola and Galar had so many unique Pokemon that really tied French/Hawaiian/British history and traditions and culture. I have come to realize I know very little of Spanish culture and what I do know stems more so of the Central/South American variety.

I am also going to say it now...

I was hoping we would see a region based off of Australia, Brazil, Egypt, Scandinavia, or Philippines rather than Spain. My own personal region I made was a megaregion called Trinat which ecompassed the southern reaches of Spain, Italy, and North Africa is a region that emulated the Mediterranean. Each region had its own (yet slightly reduced) Pokedex and you could start in any of the regions and start your quest from there.
what do you mean by duellist?

I actually readdressed my predictions for the starters and this is ones I feel perhaps a bit more comfortable with. I am not commenting on second typings since SwSh should us that having single typings is a possibility

I still think we can see a grass lion form, possibly based on the since extinct Barbary Lion. The Iberian Lynx is also a possible candidate to be based on as well. As for the fire starter, while I don't like having to stick to the zodiac, a serpent is a potential form but there's the issue with the arms and legs. There are some endemic reptiles in Spain including skinks and legless lizards so that's a possibility as well. I surmise that it will lose the arms but retain the legs in a dragon-serpent type creature. Too bad they didn't go with a bull as that would fit the ox zodiac plus Spanish bullfighting.
Finally, I feel we could see the duck become a sailor-type archetype. This could draw from Spain's naval history.

I heard some throw around that we could have more mythological base for our starters with the grass starter eventually becoming a Sphinx, the fire starter becoming a Basilisk, and the water starter becoming a Cockatrice.

a duck becoming a lizard with a chicken head?
Yeah, I felt it was a bit farfetched but some creative liberties could be taken from it. Another idea could be a Harpy.

However, what do these have to do with Spain? At least our Galar starters had evolutions largely based on British things (British rock music/this thing), soccer, and James Bond.

I would like to see our water starter get something that’s not Water/Flying as it would throw out the conception that all birds are flying. I wish they would change Doduo and Dodrio to ground rather than flying for those reasons. Water/Steel, Water/Fighting, or Water/Ghost would be preferable

Yeah, I felt it was a bit farfetched but some creative liberties could be taken from it. Another idea could be a Harpy.

However, what do these have to do with Spain? At least our Galar starters had evolutions largely based on British things (British rock music/this thing), soccer, and James Bond.

I would like to see our water starter get something that’s not Water/Flying as it would throw out the conception that all birds are flying. I wish they would change Doduo and Dodrio to ground rather than flying for those reasons. Water/Steel, Water/Fighting, or Water/Ghost would be preferable
a harpy would be interesting.

well you can also say what did a ninja have to do with france? also im british so i know all that. i know theyre based on ringo, beckham and bond

if blazken and decidueye havent thrown out that conception them im not sure anything will

a harpy would be interesting.

well you can also say what did a ninja have to do with france? also im british so i know all that. i know theyre based on ringo, beckham and bond

if blazken and decidueye havent thrown out that conception them im not sure anything will
It was more so about the JRPG roles: warrior, mage, and thief

It wasn't until Gen 7 that the starters became more representative of their regions but Gen 8 really hammered that in. They could go the route of the starter evos being directly tied to Spain OR do something like we saw in Gen 5 (France/China/Japan) or in Gen 6 where the basis was a bit more

It was more so about the JRPG roles: warrior, mage, and thief

It wasn't until Gen 7 that the starters became more representative of their regions but Gen 8 really hammered that in. They could go the route of the starter evos being directly tied to Spain OR do something like we saw in Gen 5 (France/China/Japan) or in Gen 6 where the basis was a bit more
guess we wont know to we know. although i was pretty sure scorbunny was gonna be football from the get go

Top Bottom