• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon gen 9 discussion - out Nov 18th

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Right here's a thread for discussing pokemon scarlet and violet and any other games that will be part of this gen

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I wonder if it is based on Spain. I also wonder if they’re going to do that thing again where they claim the regions based on four countries only to actually base it on one thus crushing the dreams of regions based on the other 3

what makes you think I’m bitter?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I suspect fire crocodile to become more popular as we know the final evolution of the starters. I suspect it could be a Fire / Ground type.

However, Grass kitty is definitely the cutest now. I can't even remember the Water starter, that's how little it impressed me.

I hope Pokemon returns to glory honestly. I never even bothered with Pokemon Sword after about the 4th Gym or so. It lost its magic to me, and I hope this restores it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know i think its worth noting that there's a good chance that these games wont have all the pokemon programmed into them so if that was a deal breaker for gen 8 for any of you bare that in mind

unless of course the reuse the pokemon models from the previous games in which case if using old assets was a deal breaker bare that in mind. also what are you doing on a smash based forum?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I suspect fire crocodile to become more popular as we know the final evolution of the starters. I suspect it could be a Fire / Ground type.

However, Grass kitty is definitely the cutest now. I can't even remember the Water starter, that's how little it impressed me.

I hope Pokemon returns to glory honestly. I never even bothered with Pokemon Sword after about the 4th Gym or so. It lost its magic to me, and I hope this restores it.
I never saw anything about the final starters that were concrete. How do we know rhis?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Alright just to check going forward, would it be preferred if I put most new Pokemon in spoiler boxes as we learn about them between now and November?

barring the version mascots cause the only way to avoid them being spoiled for you requires an odd amount of effort

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well there’s our version mascots for this gen

koraidon for scarlet and miraidon for violet

others are, pawmi the electric type, lechonk, the normal and smoliv a grass/normal

MA_DA_Oh

Smash Cadet
Based on their designs, it seems that Koraidon and Miraidon will be the rides this gen, changing forms to be closer to bikes or to fly around, like its been heavily speculated

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Based on their designs, it seems that Koraidon and Miraidon will be the rides this gen, changing forms to be closer to bikes or to fly around, like its been heavily speculated
yes i wondered if they might have alternate forms as well

Quillion

Smash Hero
I feel like Pokémon's logistical woes regarding visuals, world design, and content would be solved if Game Freak had a co-developing studio. I think either Bandai Namco or Monolith Soft would do very well as Pokémon co-developers. Bamco in particular has given the Pokémon spinoffs some of the best animation seen in the entire franchise with Pokkén and New Snap.

Kinda like how Sakurai's Sora Ltd. studio had no chance in hell making a game as stuffed as Smash 4 and beyond, so they recruited a co-developer, which was Bamco.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Man, the ability to focus the subplots by letting you focus on the gyms alone or do something else was such a long time coming. No more being forced to take plot detours.

And no, I don't hate linearity.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
ah, spoiler boxes please
IDK, I just feel the need to clarify that I don't dislike linearity whenever I say something about "being forced" to do something to progress the game. Linear game fans are everywhere man.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
IDK, I just feel the need to clarify that I don't dislike linearity whenever I say something about "being forced" to do something to progress the game. Linear game fans are everywhere man.
no I meant the bit contain the new info which I cut out to avoid the spoilers myself

Laniv

Smash Lord
I gotta say, that Terastalize thing kinda looks silly. It doesn't quite have the same punch as Mega Evolutions or Gigantamax

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I gotta say, that Terastalize thing kinda looks silly. It doesn't quite have the same punch as Mega Evolutions or Gigantamax
i completely agree. though the same time that's kinda why i like it.

every time some one dons those candles i'll start singing be our guest

no that i don't do that anyway

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Finally got around to watching the Presentation and I must say that I'm much more hyped for what I've seen thus far than I was for Sword/Shield.

The new battle gimmick seems more interesting and will potentially offer more depth than prior gimmicks; though Mega Evolution will still be my favorite. Pokemon battling at it's core has always been about Rock/Paper/Scissors type trumping so having your Pokemon being able to upend that mid-battle will offer a lot of depth. I can definitely seem same-type boosts being OP but I think that the metagame will figure itself out. Not as flashy as the screen nukes of Gen 7/8 but strategically is more interesting. Also Pokemon wearing Kirby Hats is funny to me.

It's interesting to see all of the baby steps that it took to finally reach full(?) open world status starting with Gen 8 and how quickly they were able to build and build upon it within so many games within such a short amount of time. I definitely get the feeling that Gen 8 will become the new Gen 4 in terms of figuring out the hardware and its limitations.

Only real thing that brings me down so far is that I still feel the Protagonist default designs are still underwhelming and lack personality. The other characters are cool so far though.

Pokemon Go Fest will be fun. I hope that lots of normally Regional Pokemon will show up.

Pokemon Masters teasing Ash vs. Red feels like something 25 years in the making so I hope that the event lives up to the hype. Only way it could be made better is if Manga Red also showed up. Trainer Lounge will be some nice fan service, but I hope there's more to it than just another Pokemon Center waiting room.

It caught me off guard to see "The Boss" of Smashboards show up in-person during the Presentation. lol

Top Bottom