• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon: Scarlet and Violet Sells over 10 Million Copies in Three Days

Scarlet_Violet_Sales.jpg
Pokémon has always been a heavy hitter for Nintendo sales, but it’s recently been taken to even greater heights. In just three days after its release, Pokémon: Scarlet & Violet versions combined have sold over 10 million units globally. This makes it the best-selling game ever released on a Nintendo platform within that time frame.

Even factoring in lifetime sales,it has already surpassed several Pokémon games in this regard, such as Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon as well as Emerald, Platinum and Crystal.

It wouldn’t be the first record that a Switch game has broken this year, as Splatoon 3 recently became the top-selling game of 2022 in Japan. That game also broke the record for the first three days of sales on a Nintendo platform at 3.45 million, but it seems the latest installment in the pocket monster series has blown Splatoon 3’s numbers out of the water.

The first open-world game in the series, Scarlet & Violet have shipped with numerous bugs and glitches that have gained infamy on social media. Despite that, the game has received plenty of positive critic reviews on Metacritic, sitting at a “generally favorable” 76.

Author’s Note: I haven’t played a game in the series in a really long time, but I do really like a lot of the new Pokémon designs. Have you already picked this game up, or do you plan on it? What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below!

Credits:
Writing: Janx_uwu Janx_uwu
Editing: @Sari
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp
Social Media: @Zerp

Janx

Comments

Nah. These games are actually super ambitious and fun, they're just riddled with technical issues and don't look great at times. They aren't some Sonic 06-tier disaster like the parrots on Twitter would have you believe.
People like you would be defending Sonic 06 if it released today, saying the exact same nonsense lmao. I've seen what can happen in this game and its nothing short of an embarrassment that this is the highest grossing IP in the world.

Absolutely undeserved. Gamefreak really can just put out pure slop and make bank.
Believe me, Game Freak want to make a good game, and most agree that this is a good game aside from the glitches…which is because Game Freak, sadly, probably weren’t given enough time to optimize by the Pokémon company. If Game Freak had 100% control over when their games get released, ideally Legends Arceus would be the November release this year and Scarlet & Violet would be released in November 2023.

Last edited:
People like you would be defending Sonic 06 if it released today, saying the exact same nonsense lmao. I've seen what can happen in this game and its nothing short of an embarrassment that this is the highest grossing IP in the world.
That’s not really an argument, making random claims about a virtual stranger and then laughing at them. I mean we can say likewise people like you would say the same hateful stuff even if was the most game polished game in the world.

Last edited:
When was this confirmed?
Its just cope. Gamefreak's incompetence has been well documented since the beginning of the Pokemon franchise. They literally needed Iwata to help them not only finish the Johto region but even fit Kanto in afterwards.

likewise people like you would say the same hateful stuff even if was the most game polished game in the world.
I mean even if it was polished to a fine sheen there would still be no excuse for it looking like a Gamecube game.

Its just cope. Gamefreak's incompetence has been well documented since the beginning of the Pokemon franchise. They literally needed Iwata to help them not only finish the Johto region but even fit Kanto in afterwards.
of course they needed help, that was the first time they had made a game

I mean even if it was polished to a fine sheen there would still be no excuse for it looking like a Gamecube game.
so?

Last edited:
Baseless ad hominem aside, the most egregious clips you see on Twitter are hardly representative of the average player's experience with these games. I played for about 60 hours and the worst I experienced were some admittedly bad framerate issues (plus a few random crashes, which I've had in other Switch games as well, even extremely polished ones). Should this game ideally have had another year or so in the oven to iron out the glitches and performance issues? Yes, absolutely, but the fact that I and many others were hooked on the game in spite of those problems should indicate that these are good Pokemon games. Unlike Sonic 06, this game expands on the series formula in a really fun and innovative way - being able to selectively pick out your encounters and explore the world freely without getting stopped every five seconds makes this better than 90% of the old ones IMO. You can continue to mald while the rest of us are out here enjoying life, but I'll take a game that's fun, but isn't finished over a game that's finished, but isn't fun. The direction established by these games is super strong and I can't wait to see where the series goes from here.

Baseless ad hominem aside, the most egregious clips you see on Twitter are hardly representative of the average player's experience with these games. I played for about 60 hours and the worst I experienced were some admittedly bad framerate issues (plus a few random crashes, which I've had in other Switch games as well, even extremely polished ones). Should this game ideally have had another year or so in the oven to iron out the glitches and performance issues? Yes, absolutely, but the fact that I and many others were hooked on the game in spite of those problems should indicate that these are good Pokemon games. Unlike Sonic 06, this game expands on the series formula in a really fun and innovative way - being able to selectively pick out your encounters and explore the world freely without getting stopped every five seconds makes this better than 90% of the old ones IMO. You can continue to mald while the rest of us are out here enjoying life, but I'll take a game that's fun, but isn't finished over a game that's finished, but isn't fun. The direction established by these games is super strong and I can't wait to see where the series goes from here.
I don't care about your own (probably not entirely honest) anecdotes. The fact that many people are experiencing these issue isn't ok. Also you confuse having actual standards for malding lol.

How do you begin work on your first game while already making a game a year before it?
you said game freak was founded in 1989 but their first magazine was in 1983. So you were wrong. Also I think it’s deeply unfair to say a company with very limited experience in game making, self imposed crunch culture as incompetent for needing help

you said game freak was founded in 1989 but their first magazine was in 1983. So you were wrong. Also I think it’s deeply unfair to say a company with very limited experience in game making, self imposed crunch culture as incompetent for needing help
Gamefreak as a game studio was founded in 1989. Making magazines before that is irrelevant to making video games. Also they've been making games for well over 30+ years now. There should be no more "very limited experience" anymore.

Last edited:
Gamefreak as a game studio was founded in 1989. Making magazines before that is irrelevant to making video games. Also they've been making games for well over 30+ years now. There should be no more "very limited experience" anymore.
you were saying they were incompetent in 1990s for those reasons. calling them incompetent now because someone isn’t letting them have enough time to make the graphics nicer is still unfair

I don't care about your own (probably not entirely honest) anecdotes. The fact that many people are experiencing these issue isn't ok. Also you confuse having actual standards for malding lol.
As much as you'd seem to like to believe otherwise, I, too, have "actual standards." I just don't see technical and visual polish as the only metric to assess the quality of a game. Of course Game Freak could've done better optimizing these games, but I'm willing to appreciate the countless QoL changes we've gotten over the years that honestly make the older games hard to go back to. Most Pokemon fans I've seen recognize these games as flawed, but fun regardless. It's just easier to point and laugh at a game for its blemishes than to actually play it and acknowledge what it does well. (Especially when it comes from the "highest grossing IP in the world," a line I'm really sick of hearing since it implies that the series' problems can or should be solved by just throwing money at them.)

Last edited:
you were saying they were incompetent in 1990s for those reasons. calling them incompetent now because someone isn’t letting them have enough time to make the graphics nicer is still unfair
It is NOT just the graphics that are the issue with this game and you know it.

I honestly find the glitches hilarious but I also understand that they don't occur often but they get amplified cause of social media and such. I appreciate the time GF took to take the Pokemon formula and do amazing things with it. Despite the enviromental visuals not being "up to AAA quality", GF did an alright job with it considering the amount of time that had and resources at hand. When you have one guy doing Lighting for the whole game, that becomes an issue regardless who is in charge and which game is being made. Honestly, the whole "Gamecube-era graphics" debate works with Pokemon's overall graphics. Remember, it wasn't until recently that the games transitioned from the handheld to actual console and so GF had to totally overhaul how they make and develop the mainline games (again, mainline...not side games like Stadium and what not). Having a Pokemon game that has all this ambient landscapes and such might not be happening currently and I don't expect them to. It would be nice but I am waiting on GF to get a game or two under their belt before I hold judgement.

My main criticism of Scarlet and Violet are the Pokemon designs which some stellar ones and some that missed the mark. The previous Gen was one of my favorites for good designs personally. I don't think this game really is deserving of being sold so much but, hey, this was a huge fame and GF put a lot of effort in marketing it.

I prefer someone's andedotes over having played the game and experienced any issues it might have over someone who has not. We have had a lot of discussion in the past but, honestly, based on my interactions; your whole gimmick seems to hate on everything that someone enjoys. I mean, I feel at this point I could say "I like to drink water" and you would then try to tear down my enjoyment of drinking water and that the government pollutes the water mains with flouride in order to indoctrinate the poplation. Those are the types of vibes I get from you whenever you walk in. Not trying to be mean but just making an observation based on past interactions on this site.

Last edited:
My main criticism of Scarlet and Violet are the Pokemon designs which some stellar ones and some that missed the mark. The previous Gen was one of my favorites for good designs personally. I don't think this game really is deserving of being sold so much but, hey, this was a huge fame and GF put a lot of effort in marketing it.
I'm pretty big on the new designs myself - there's maybe one or two I don't like - but to each their own.

I'm pretty big on the new designs myself - there's maybe one or two I don't like - but to each their own.
I guess because I really like the idea of pokemon who appear in regions be connected to that county in real-life. Everything, to be, screamed British for the Gen 8 Pokemon. Now, that is not to say I don't like the earlier Pokemon. But Gen 7 and Gen 8 really sold me on the idea of tying the Pokemon of that region to sources in that country. To me, a sushi Pokemon doesn't really scream" SPAIN" to me other than the fact that Sushi restaurants are popular world wide. I suppose one aspect of that is that the starters are drawn from a wide variety of spanish/latin sources so they could be going for a more disaspora feel. I just didn't get a lot of connections.

I also didn't like how they incorporated some of the new typings. Scovillain to me seems like an odd design that I just can't seem to like. Another is Maschiff....it just looks odd but maybe that is the point.

I might as well list them:

Designs I don't like:
Maschiff
Scovillain
The Pawmi Line (just an instance of Pokemon getting bigger.)
The Varoom Line (I dislike the mineral element. Make it entirely steel or else.)
Spidops (Something just irks me on this design....)
Dundunsparce (I have been waiting 8 generations to get a Dunsparce evolution and we get one with one extra segment in the body.)
Sqwaukabily (The eyes and entire design really throw me off. I just can't stand it.)
Gholdengo (I have been waiting for a gold-based Pokemon but this one...is just too quirrky for me.)

Everything else checks out with particualr favorites being....

Lokix
Rellor line
Greavard line
Espartha
Giraffig evo (not going to devote time to memroizing how to type it out lol)
Bellibolt
Tandemaus line
Wattrel line
Klawf
Glimmet line

The only new designs I don't like are the Pawmi line, which just stands up as it evolves, Flamigo, which is literally just a flamingo, Maschiff, which looks like it's constantly cringing over something it did 3 years ago, and Klawf, which I always thought was kinda hideous. Scovillain, Gholdengo, and Dudunsparce are personal favorites of mine. (I actually think it's really funny how they finally gave Dunsparce an evolution, and it's just more Dunsparce. Joke evo for a joke Pokemon, it's PERFECT.)

Let me just preface this by saying that its ok to criticize video games. Clearly some people need to hear this.

move been playing the game for a weeks and no, no gameplay issues at all
Happy for you. I don't buy it but hey I'm happy for you. Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that countless other people are having unacceptable issues with the game.

I prefer someone's andedotes over having played the game and experienced any issues it might have over someone who has not. We have had a lot of discussion in the past but, honestly, based on my interactions; your whole gimmick seems to hate on everything that someone enjoys. I mean, I feel at this point I could say "I like to drink water" and you would then try to tear down my enjoyment of drinking water and that the government pollutes the water mains with flouride in order to indoctrinate the poplation. Those are the types of vibes I get from you whenever you walk in. Not trying to be mean but just making an observation based on past interactions on this site.
You're going to need give me some recent examples then. I've pretty much have only ragged on Pokemon in recent memory. Just sounds like some badly disguised shame tactic because I dare to call out Gamefreak.

-edit-
Well its been several days now without you giving me any examples. A real shame, though I can't say I'm surprised. Maybe in the future keep the passive aggressive shame tactics to a minimum unless you can back them up.

Last edited:
Let me just preface this by saying that its ok to criticize video games. Clearly some people need to hear this.

Happy for you. I don't buy it but hey I'm happy for you. Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that countless other people are having unacceptable issues with the game.

You're going to need give me some recent examples then. I've pretty much have only ragged on Pokemon in recent memory. Just sounds like some badly disguised shame tactic because I dare to call out Gamefreak.
this goes beyond criticism though. you’re basically accusing us of lying when we say we enjoy the game

and if you think I have a problem criticising things then you have clearly never met me anywhere else on the forum. also you see venus criticising several Pokémon a few posts before

Last edited:
this goes beyond criticism though. you’re basically accusing us of lying when we say we enjoy the game

and if you think I have a problem criticising things then you have clearly never met me anywhere else on the forum
No. I don't believe you when you say your experience has been free from issues. I absolutely believe that you're loving the game though.

Last edited:
Try reading my posts in a different tone.
other than you accusing of lying cause you find it impossible to believe that anyone could have a glitch free experience with a game you haven’t actually played and only have second hand knowledge to the point where you think anyone who likes is blinded by bias? what other tone could there be than condescending and patronising

other than you accusing of lying cause you find it impossible to believe that anyone could have a glitch free experience with a game you haven’t actually played and only have second hand knowledge to the point where you think anyone who likes is blinded by bias? what other tone could there be than condescending and patronising
Completely missing the joke

You guys realize when someone says a game is bad due to glitches it’s not always necessarily saying the game isn’t fun or you can’t enjoy it right? Even if the glitches don’t affect you and you didn’t experience any of them it’s still ****ty that they’re in the game and saying “they’re not a big deal because they only affect a small portion of people” is implicitly defending a game having a bad player experience.

It could be the best game ever and still it would be bad if it became a glitchy mess for a select few people

Top Bottom