• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Channel: Pikachu Video Archives and Critque Thread

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
that was a crazy good match wow
jab locks, that insane recovery from mid-understage, crazy QA angles and offstage edgeguards, and all on a 3DS too
I'm impressed
Thanks for the reply. I don't record often, but I see the need to get my pikachu seen by the new players. Let them have a little inspiration for themselves. I remember when I had first started in Brawl, and I looked up to Yonesuke, Anther and Boxingking, constantly watching their matches and analyzing their movements. Luckily, for me, this game is almost the same as brawl, with minor changes here and there.

Also, it's not the tool that matters.It's how the person using the tool does what they do.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I'm pretty much brand new to Pikachu, picking him up as a secondary because he's fun and because I heard someone mention offhand that he's good against Rosa which is the character I think Palu struggles with the most.

I haven't brought him out in bracket yet, but here's a friendly with a local Rosa main I played last night, I'd be very appreciative of any and all advice you folks could give me. Even the most basic character-specific stuff would be useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS6O2OHqyyo&feature=youtu.be

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
iVoltage iVoltage I don't see much you should be unhappy about your game plan, it's pretty solid fundamental play~ Just avoid the skull bashes and dash attacks in neutral (I presume they're input errors)~

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Hey guys, it seems that you can combo up throw into thunder even if your opponent DI's. Here's a very quick video I made showing that.

Credit should go to @Lomogoto , who made a thread showing that this was possible. All I did was test it further and create this video

Last edited:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Hey guys, it seems that you can combo up throw into thunder even if your opponent DI's. Here's a very quick video I made showing that.

Credit should go to @Lomogoto , who made a thread showing that this was possible. All I did was test it further and create this video

Thanks for showing this. I been trying to go for it, but no luck and couldn't master it so thanks.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIhPZ7WWU88

I think I actually improved, go figure~
Still could use some tips if there are any though, for my game plan~
Try not to just run in as an approach option as you get punished literally every time.

Try mixing up your ledge options, you pretty much just used down smash.. Speaking of that when you did ff fair and tried to downsmash, i think its too laggy.. Better follow ups would be dtilt into dashgrab or something like that.

Otherwise very impressive on the 3ds solid play man.

Noro~

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIhPZ7WWU88

I think I actually improved, go figure~
Still could use some tips if there are any though, for my game plan~
Not bad. I really like how you finished up the second stock. That was a good airdodge read.

You did landing Bair quite often in that match. While it is an option, it's also very unsafe.
Don't spam Jolt when your opponent is far off stage (looking at 1:05). That time can be spent edgeguarding. Something that Bjr is extremely susceptible to. I believe you're not that familiar with the match up?

Aside from that, though, I think you did quite well.

Last edited:

ParanoidPimp

Smash Rookie
NNID
DaBossest
Pikachu is one of, if not the most heroic of characters in the smash universe. This is a tribute to Pikachu. Enjoy. ^_^

Last edited:

Dashie

Smash Cadet
Currently up 4/5(lost track atm lol) off of set wins off of this guy so far.
Haven't lost a set to him so far. He just can't catch a break.
He's considered better than me overall in my state.

Last edited:

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
Currently up 4/5(lost track atm lol) off of set wins off of this guy so far.
Haven't lost a set to him so far. He just can't catch a break.
He's considered better than me overall in my state.
congrats on your win~
Just a couple tips I guess, your use of Skull Bash and Thunder can be incredibly unsafe, I was watching with heart in mouth for so many moments it hurt XDD
Also I've noticed you start fishing heavily for Usmash when you're down a stock, try not to do that cause it's unsafe on shield and you'll stale it.
The last game was impressive though~

Dashie

Smash Cadet
congrats on your win~
Just a couple tips I guess, your use of Skull Bash and Thunder can be incredibly unsafe, I was watching with heart in mouth for so many moments it hurt XDD
Also I've noticed you start fishing heavily for Usmash when you're down a stock, try not to do that cause it's unsafe on shield and you'll stale it.
The last game was impressive though~
Thanks.
Yeh thunder and skull bash would be his lagiest moves and I need to fix those habits xP.
By the later sets I noticed how up smash wasn't working so I just used it as mind game and just started grabbing more lol.
I was sloppy on a lot of things but I was able to execute what was important at the time.
He was sloppy to so it didn't matter to much.

I should improve with more experience.

O Hobbit

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxEDRFJK4dk VS :4pikachu:

Need advice for playing against Pikachu. It went to time in my favor but I am unsure if I played the match up properly. Is there anything that I should be looking for when playing this match up?
I think you did pretty well. I think this MU is kinda hard for Mega Man, since once Pikachu get's in we can get a nasty combo a set up for edguard situations, which adds more damage. The main point on this MU is getting the KO and then surviving. If Mega Man gets the first kill, Pikachu will have to try something do even the score, but his options ain't super safe and you can just punish them. You can bait our QA or up-smash and add extra credit, and you did an excellent job at this in your match. On the other hand, if you lose the first stock just make sure not to get a combo starter hit from Pikachu (like up-tilt, QA or grab), otherwise you will be in a bad spot when you finally get the kill.

Here are two matches:

ESAM vs Scatt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKg1YEw-_Lg
ESAM vs Zucco https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NTm6BEZ5ds

O Hobbit

Smash Cadet
Also, I wanted to share a GF I made against the best Sonic from Brazil recently =)
I came from the winners and kinda threw out the first set with tons of SD and then picking up Ike (since I was SDing), but the second set was cool I guess.
I'm accepting any advises o/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpP8VUm-FvI

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I think you did pretty well. I think this MU is kinda hard for Mega Man, since once Pikachu get's in we can get a nasty combo a set up for edguard situations, which adds more damage. The main point on this MU is getting the KO and then surviving. If Mega Man gets the first kill, Pikachu will have to try something do even the score, but his options ain't super safe and you can just punish them. You can bait our QA or up-smash and add extra credit, and you did an excellent job at this in your match. On the other hand, if you lose the first stock just make sure not to get a combo starter hit from Pikachu (like up-tilt, QA or grab), otherwise you will be in a bad spot when you finally get the kill.

Here are two matches:

ESAM vs Scatt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKg1YEw-_Lg
ESAM vs Zucco https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NTm6BEZ5ds
Thanks. Do you think I could have went to a better stage besides Battlefield? I don't recall what was banned but my first instinct was forcing him to use Quick Attack around platforms so I can trap him with my B-air

O Hobbit

Smash Cadet
Thanks. Do you think I could have went to a better stage besides Battlefield? I don't recall what was banned but my first instinct was forcing him to use Quick Attack around platforms so I can trap him with my B-air
Well, if you feel comfortable on Battlefield and think you can anteccipate his recoveries, then it's alright. Battlefield improves Pikachu recover and gives him some options that stages like Final doesn't, but you can use this for your advantage (like trying to catch him with your bair). However, if the Pikachu main sees what you're looking for, it might be pretty hard to conect a bair due to the possibility of mixing up his recovery.

I think a better counterpick for you would be something like Duck Hunt, Final or even Town and City. On these stages you have more space to try to wall out Pikachu and get on a safe distance regarding his up-b. I think Duck Hunt would work well since the stage is large and the plataforms are more likely to help you scape from Pikachu's juggle game (which is really strong on Mega Man) than to help Pikachu

Dashie

Smash Cadet
Please ESAM I know your movement and techniques are fantastic, but plz the quick attacks back into the opponent. He got punished pretty hard for those. Guess you'll have to mix things up to keep them guessing though.
Also shout out to Aussies!

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Entered House of Paign VII [a monthly located in Champaign, IL... from what I've heard/seen, the second-biggest Smash scene in IL behind Chicago]. My only set on stream was vs a Rosalina player. He and I are now 1-1 in sets, and he normally mains Mii Smaller, which was banned for this event [something I view as unfortunate]. He is 3 on the local [UIUC] power rankings and I am 10. I know I forward smash a little bit much, and I also need to place Quick Attack onstage more carefully [there are times when I think I have sufficient range to make going through his shield safe when it is not]. I also plan to work on my edgeguarding [I can certainly do it, but often times I try to land airdodge reads with Thunder instead of just hitting them offstage more than once]. The forward smash at the end of the set was more of a panic option than a well-thought out read, which is why you can see me shaking my head at the set ending.

Anyway, here's the set. Any advice is of course helpful. For reference, I banned T&C and he banned Lylat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTQPvNRy6qQ

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
happy new year guys~

as always, I've got a compilations of moments from the past three months, with tons of pika at the end~

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
I don't currently possess a video to offer up in here, but I would like to make a recommendation. To everyone posting content, if you could please take the time to review at least part of the video the person who posted above you [or more if you feel like it] and offer some comments [constructive criticism, praise, etc.], that would help make sure people who want help get it.

Coro_ Coro_ , I skipped ahead in your montage to Pikachu moments, but one thing I will say watching the early stuff: I feel like you were kind of digging for content. Some of the early stuff is just a random spike or two, and while spikes can be cool, if you're aiming for a montage that interests the viewer the whole way through, a couple 4 or 5 piece combos that mostly lead into death is far more compelling to most than several spikes [or KO punches] in a row.

You may want to look for a higher quality of clip, which will both make it more interesting for those watching [because you'll have more intense moments that last longer], and it also will likely reduce the length of the montage, which can actually be a good thing because it will make the viewer appreciate what's there more [and for the impatient, they're more likely to watch the whole thing].

The Pikachu clips at the end I enjoyed a lot more [especially the Bowser Junior clip around 11:40]. The ways that people fell out of Pikachu's forward air and died [as in the last clip] interested me somewhat, because you didn't seem to fastfall it...

[And for the curious, I think this post is well above the length we'd generally hope for in regards to commenting on what others post - but if everyone did this sort of thing, lots of feedback would be given and (hopefully) lots learned.]

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
I don't currently possess a video to offer up in here, but I would like to make a recommendation. To everyone posting content, if you could please take the time to review at least part of the video the person who posted above you [or more if you feel like it] and offer some comments [constructive criticism, praise, etc.], that would help make sure people who want help get it.

Coro_ Coro_ , I skipped ahead in your montage to Pikachu moments, but one thing I will say watching the early stuff: I feel like you were kind of digging for content. Some of the early stuff is just a random spike or two, and while spikes can be cool, if you're aiming for a montage that interests the viewer the whole way through, a couple 4 or 5 piece combos that mostly lead into death is far more compelling to most than several spikes [or KO punches] in a row.

You may want to look for a higher quality of clip, which will both make it more interesting for those watching [because you'll have more intense moments that last longer], and it also will likely reduce the length of the montage, which can actually be a good thing because it will make the viewer appreciate what's there more [and for the impatient, they're more likely to watch the whole thing].

The Pikachu clips at the end I enjoyed a lot more [especially the Bowser Junior clip around 11:40]. The ways that people fell out of Pikachu's forward air and died [as in the last clip] interested me somewhat, because you didn't seem to fastfall it...

[And for the curious, I think this post is well above the length we'd generally hope for in regards to commenting on what others post - but if everyone did this sort of thing, lots of feedback would be given and (hopefully) lots learned.]
thank you kindly for the feedback~
as to quality, since I only have the 3DS version, these ghetto clips are about the best I can do, so I'll have to make do with it
those spikes and stuff are usually cause they rarely happen, so I like to include them in for quick 'moments' (though I will say I went overboard with the KO Punches, I started adding them when i first started playing Mac, so that's why there's so many, I stopped adding them later unless I comboed into them)

these quarterly compliations were made with the idea of being a highlight reel of everything and anything, so I guess that's why they're long-ish and have all sorts of random stuff that may or may not be best for a shorter one
Maybe I'll make a dedicated one some other time that's more focused
that said, I'll try taking into account your feedback for the next compilation, so thanks~

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

'Ey, yo! Put me down!

User name: Electrichu300
In-Game name: KAREEM (that's my name)
3DS Friend Code: (My 3DS is broken.)
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: supermariolink35
Country of Residence: USA
Palette Colour: Red hat
Message: While he wasn't my first main (that being Link), I loved playing as Pikachu in Brawl and he was my favorite character on the anime! Nowadays, I take anyone down using this little guy!

D

Deleted member

And I don't know if there is video of it, but I was in a tournament and got destroyed. To be fair, it was my first tournament...

Thor

Smash Champion
Aww, there's no video above mine that's not mine, so I'll comment on the next one too~
Anyways, I got a set against a local Rosalina player that was quite tense (don't mind the commentators, we're all new to this stuff and it was a relaxed atmosphere).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG2m4IVKGW8
I didn't watch all of it, but some notes for you:

- Thunder jolting Rosalina while she's offstage isn't very effective. If she's able to reach the ledge with her double jump alone, you can try to use them to stop the snap, but if she has to up+b, be wary of her uair and then try to go off and hit her. I usually just aim for the two frames with either nair or dair, since both last a while, or falling bair past the ledge [if she's going for ledge it's very hard to avoid]. You can also attempt to use thunder, especially if she does an early up+b to go high.
- If Rosa uses up+b onstage, you can often get a running usmash punish. There are a few times you just keep thunder jolting though... you should try to be ready to react to where she goes.
- Rosa uair has less KB than Luma uair [or should]... on Halberd you were trying to airdodge away from Rosalina and ended up right on top of Luma... it's hard mentally to do so, but you're probably better off ending on top of Rosa, since her uair should kill a bit later.
- You don't seem to do much to kill Luma, or if you do, it's not working that well. I'm not sure if you're familiar with how to launch Luma, but Pikachu's uair, last hit of fair, last hit of bair, fsmash, usmash, and last hit of dsmash should all launch Luma at 0% [she has her own percent that's invisible], and I think dash attack too, as well as the base of Thunder too [for when Luma respawns, you can uthrow/dthrow thunder and even if they DI to miss the Thunder, you should end up launching Luma]. When you separate Rosalina and Luma, I highly recommend fairing, uairing, or fsmash/usmashing/dash attacking Luma to get rid of her, as it reduces her KO potential and damage output, not to mention making it easier to approach Rosalina and land a combo or kill move.
- You use a lot of thunder jolts. This Rosalina seemed uncomfortable dealing with them, but some Rosalinas are more experience with it and will use your thunderjolt use to come in on you. It's worth noting that although grounded thunder jolts technically come out faster than aerial ones [because you don't have to jump], you can't move during the endlag, unlike fullhop thunder jolts [or shorthop thunderjolts, where you stay lower but still have some landing lag]. I'd avoid using grounded thunderjolts most of the time, unless you're trying to edgeguard someone with the thunder jolt as it wraps around the ledge.

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
I didn't watch all of it, but some notes for you:

- Thunder jolting Rosalina while she's offstage isn't very effective. If she's able to reach the ledge with her double jump alone, you can try to use them to stop the snap, but if she has to up+b, be wary of her uair and then try to go off and hit her. I usually just aim for the two frames with either nair or dair, since both last a while, or falling bair past the ledge [if she's going for ledge it's very hard to avoid]. You can also attempt to use thunder, especially if she does an early up+b to go high.
- If Rosa uses up+b onstage, you can often get a running usmash punish. There are a few times you just keep thunder jolting though... you should try to be ready to react to where she goes.
- Rosa uair has less KB than Luma uair [or should]... on Halberd you were trying to airdodge away from Rosalina and ended up right on top of Luma... it's hard mentally to do so, but you're probably better off ending on top of Rosa, since her uair should kill a bit later.
- You don't seem to do much to kill Luma, or if you do, it's not working that well. I'm not sure if you're familiar with how to launch Luma, but Pikachu's uair, last hit of fair, last hit of bair, fsmash, usmash, and last hit of dsmash should all launch Luma at 0% [she has her own percent that's invisible], and I think dash attack too, as well as the base of Thunder too [for when Luma respawns, you can uthrow/dthrow thunder and even if they DI to miss the Thunder, you should end up launching Luma]. When you separate Rosalina and Luma, I highly recommend fairing, uairing, or fsmash/usmashing/dash attacking Luma to get rid of her, as it reduces her KO potential and damage output, not to mention making it easier to approach Rosalina and land a combo or kill move.
- You use a lot of thunder jolts. This Rosalina seemed uncomfortable dealing with them, but some Rosalinas are more experience with it and will use your thunderjolt use to come in on you. It's worth noting that although grounded thunder jolts technically come out faster than aerial ones [because you don't have to jump], you can't move during the endlag, unlike fullhop thunder jolts [or shorthop thunderjolts, where you stay lower but still have some landing lag]. I'd avoid using grounded thunderjolts most of the time, unless you're trying to edgeguard someone with the thunder jolt as it wraps around the ledge.
Thanks for the tips, particularly on seperating Luma~
I guess I was giving Luma way too much respect and playing keepaway too much, haha. My jolt spam earlier on were my attempts to damage Luma, but I guess I should try hitting her with those moves next time.
I did reduce my jolts later on, so yeah (I don't normally use this many jolts)

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Hey all! My board is kind of dead, so I wanted to post this here to see if I could get any feedback: http://www.twitch.tv/trixiesam/v/51614631?t=02h14m00s

Thanks in advance!
I don't know much about playing as Kirby, so a lot of the stuff I wrote is gonna be pretty general since I don't know exactly what you can do to alleviate the problem.

You rolled a lot. Try and mixup how you approach and evade. I like to use retreating fairs with Kirby a lot. I don't know how good they really are, but they seem to work for me.

Remember that floaty characters like Peach can't really get chained by up tilt. In the first match, after the first up tilt, it would've been better to use an aerial like uair instead of another up tilt.

Also, in a key moment in the first match, you didn't pivot grab. Remember to practice those. Pivot grabs have extra range, and getting grabs with Kirby is important since Kirby's grab game is pretty good.

When recovering, you were a little too predictable. Try and throw out an aerial where you expect your opponent to be. Kirby's up special is pretty linear so there's just a natural risk associated with it.

In the second match, you were having a hard time dealing with ESAM's camping. You could practice your shield and walking. You could also have used a few jumps to get high enough and attack Pikachu from above (though they would come with other risks you would have to watch out for). In addition, getting a read with Inhale earlier could let you at least stop his spamming.

Finally, in the last match you were getting read a lot. Using different options and being unpredictable is important. I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that. You'd have to ask an actual Kirby main for stuff like that. >.<

I hope this still helped though.

Top Bottom