• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokédex Entry: Marth

T-block

B2B TST
Pokédex Entry: Marth

Videos:

Frame Data:

Relevant Numbers:
  • Walk Speed: 1. Marth (1.5); 12. Squirtle (1.20); 21. Ivysaur (1.05); 38. Charizard (0.70)
  • Dash Speed: 7. Charizard (1.80); 10. Marth (1.70); 17. Ivysaur (1.50); 28. Squirtle (1.37)
  • Max Air Speed: 7. Squirtle (1.08); 11. Marth (1.03); 14. Charizard (0.99); 36. Ivysaur (0.75)
  • Normal Fall Speed: 12. Marth (1.50); 22. Charizard (1.35); 22. Ivysaur (1.35); 25. Squirtle (1.30)
  • Fast Fall Speed: 12. Marth (2.10); 12. Squirtle (2.10); 25. Charizard (1.89); 25. Ivysaur (1.89)
  • Squirtle's n-air > jab lock percents: 70% unfatigued, 86% fatigue start, 93% full fatigue
  • Ivysaur's u-smash KO percents (Final Destination, range is NoDI-OptimalDI): 61%-72% unfatigued; 96%-108% fatigued

Squirtle:

Role in matchup, how to play against Marth, things to watch out for

Ivysaur:

Charizard:

Switch Strategy:

Starter (mention stages if it affects the choice), general switch strategy

Stages:

Counterpick
Ban
Stage Strike

Matchup specific tricks on various stages

Other mentions (stages not in Unity)

For Squirtle vs Marth, you have to make sure every move you make hits him, whiffed moves will just be perfect oppurtunities to get punished/Fair'd. The same goes for Marth, except that he has more room for small errors (watch out for baits), so if you see a chance to break that wall, go for it. Then when you do finally get up close, you have to tread carefully, as him grabbing you means very bad things. I find Squirtle's best option up close is a spaced Ftilt and maybe some jabs if close enough. If you can get him in juggling position(most likely with a grab) Try and milk the most of what you can. This and edgeguarding is the only chance Squirtle has to do major damage.

/ my 2 cents.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Attempt to approch him
lose
go to the pokemon trainer boards to complain how bad this matchup is

thats how i play it anyway.

T-block

B2B TST
I'm gonna call the Marth boards soon, so let's get the ball rolling so we have something when they come.

<hr />
Marth:

Air speed - decent; between Squirtle and Charizard
Fast fall speed - 12th in the game
Dash speed - decent; between Charizard and Ivysaur

<hr />
Squirtle's effectiveness is going to be affected by the stage. Platforms to interfere with the grab release (Battlefield <3) make this matchup playable. Otherwise, you have to somehow get close enough to hit him, which isn't easy (swordasfjoawiejfokj), but somehow not get grabbed while doing it. F-tilt is really cool in that it's fast and has range, but it doesn't solve everything.

Ivysaur can't keep Marth out, and gets the **** edgeguarded out of her once he gets in. Yaaaaay.

Charizard can do all right if he has space. With room to run around he has a chance at outspacing Marth I guess?

<hr />
From counterpicking stage discussion:

Marth:
Stage Strike: Final Destination, Smashville
Counterpick: Brinstar, Battlefield, Rainbow Cruise, Lylat Cruise
Ban: Delfino Plaza, Final Destination

Notes - An important idea here is to pick a stage that prevents Marth's grab release on Squirtle from doing too much damage. This makes you actually able to use Squirtle in your game instead of sacrificing him to get to Ivysaur. Brinstar is definitely your best choice here - a good stage for PT and an uncomfortable one for Marth. Rainbow Cruise is another option if you want to maximize your time with Squirtle. Baton Passing helps you do that, and the nature of the stage makes the grab release somewhat less effective. You still have to play carefully though, as it could lead still lead to d-air KOs in some places. Delfino is a good ban choice. It's one of Marth's best stages, and the walkoff parts make his grab release deadly. If your opponent knows about the grab release on Squirtle and you feel he had trouble against your Squirtle in a previous match he might go Final Destination, so you could ban that as well.
Do we still mostly agree with that? I think we could take off Brinstar, or move it down on the list, with Battlefield being our number 1 pick?

Toby.

Smash Master
Battlefield only stops marth from using Upsmash. He can still tipper fsmash.

Marth's dash speed isn't that great, but his walk speed is fantastic.

Oh and Marth really destroys Charizard on battlefield.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
I wouldn't go to battlefield, it doesn't stop grab releases and ivy and charizard don't do well against marth on that stage, I like to go smashville against marth since ivy and zard do better there and squirtle has a mobile platform that allows him to camp it yet also let's him approach as silly as that sounds.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
I wouldn't go to battlefield, it doesn't stop grab releases and ivy and charizard don't do well against marth on that stage, I like to go smashville against marth since ivy and zard do better there and squirtle has a mobile platform that allows him to camp it yet also let's him approach as silly as that sounds.
i like this reasoning

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I would agree with Brinstar not being the best stage to Cp, In this MU Pt needs mobility and with that I'm talking about Chari & Ivy. I feel like their movements on this stage is just horrible, like they got no place to go to and besides that, improved KO from the lava even messes up Ivy more here. I like to play Bf, like said the grab releasses abusement is less here.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I've never been killed by lava under 140% on Brinstar with Ivy. All you have to do is airdodge into it so you take the hit lower. I think Brinstar would definitely help with with squirtle grab release (right?) and killing off the top is pretty effective here with ivy.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I've never been killed by lava under 140% on Brinstar with Ivy. All you have to do is airdodge into it so you take the hit lower. I think Brinstar would definitely help with with squirtle grab release (right?) and killing off the top is pretty effective here with ivy.
But it forces Ivysaur and Charizard to move into the air at a certain point, this is unavoidable so that should also be taken in if we judge this stage's position.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm fine with their air game vs marth. I suppose I could be wrong about it, but Zard's bair and Ivy Bair/Fair can defend themselves well enough on the rise. Usually there are 3 platforms available.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I can see where your coming from Tesh, those attacks do indeed grant Chari and Ivy enough time to hold marth off for some time, however in my experience I'm getting punished if I jump to the higher platforms against marth

Tesh

Smash Hero
Well he has to jump too. It feels like much less of an issue with Marth and his 2 jumps as opposed to MK. Marth doesn't have as much time to hover around waiting for the perfect time to strike.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
all marth needs to do is be lame as hell against squirtle and he wins the matchup pretty decisively

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
ye.. because bowser is such an excellent character against marth? I'm sorry, don't bowser get demolished by marths? apart from that, I think this match up is **** hard.

V

Smash Ace
@ingoro bowser doesn't get demolished by marth

Against PT staying grounded is good for marth as he can punish almost all of zard's moves oos with DB, jab and dtilt are good against squirtle and obviously we can't grab you in the air. I've never really fought ivy they always switch back to zard. If marth plays a patient punish game with good spacing it seems very hard for PT to win. Zard and squirtle aren't too shabby at edgeguarding us with fair though. If marth is jumping running usmash with zard can punsih whiffed aerials. Zard can ledge trap us ok and flamethrower forces us to do something. Rock smash isn't wise since we have counter and counter comes out in 4 frames so we can react to it and it does 1.2 times damage. As squirtle you should take advantage of your mobilty to bait whiffed moves and then get us in the air. That's all I have.

:phone:

T-block

B2B TST
Squirtle:

Squirtle is actually just as mobile as Marth. He has similar aerial mobility values, and has that fantastic pivot with hydroplaning options that allow him to stay mobile on the ground. However, he loses to Marth because Marth outranges him, and because he gets punished harder for mistakes than he punishes. That said, because Squirtle is highly mobile, there is room to outplay Marth, so this matchup is not unwinnable.

Marth can force Squirtle to air release out of a grab, and has plenty of options once he does so. His most popular options are f-air, d-air, f-smash, u-smash and regrab. Grab release > d-air can be survived by good SDI so that the spike sends you into the stage floor instead of to your death. The other maneuver to be aware of is his usage of up-b. Due to the way Squirtle applies pressure, and the fact that Marth's grab is so deadly for Squirtle, Marth will be relying on his shield as a strong defensive option. Up-b OoS is invincible on frame 1, so be wary of being too eager to pressure his shield.

Playing Squirtle against Marth is all about finding ways to get inside, and maximizing your damage output once you do. Approaching via aerials tends to be unsafe due to shieldgrabbing and up-b OoS, although a rising b-air can be effective, especially at low percents when his up-b is unsafe on hit. Shellshifting/hydroplane f-tilt, mixed with short-hop-air-dodge jab, and empty short-hop grab can all be effective as well.

Once you get in, you need to be relentless without being careless. Always keep in mind that Marth has strong but high-risk gtfo options (frame 4 counter, frame 1 invincible up-b). When you go into this match, one of your early goals should be finding out how he uses up-b. If you can bait one early and punish it hard, you make it much easier to apply pressure later on in the game. There are two positions you want to be in to apply continued pressure. The first is below him. Squirtle is a fantastic juggler, as double jump u-air is lightning fast and can be done in reaction to an attempt to use side-b to stall. Use empty short-hops to gauge reactions, and punish with grabs/u-tilts/u-airs. Marth isn't great at dealing with Squirtle below him, as d-air has high cooldown, and stalling with side-b can only help so much. Stay lower to the ground so you don't overcommit to your juggle attempt though - you don't want to end up above Marth, as he is also a potent juggler. The other position is when you have Marth trapped on the ledge. Marth suffers heavily from RCO lag, although using f-air before he lands is still pretty safe. In any case, Marth still has a lot of trouble returning to the stage from the ledge against a waiting Squirtle. Stand outside of ledgehop f-air range, but don't try to challenge him on the ledge. Use f-air/f-tilt/jab combo/d-air/grabs to keep him off the ledge.

Camping Marth is also something that shouldn't be dismissed. If you notice that Marth is approaching you (which will likely happen if you have the lead and are already fatigued), don't be afraid to play defensively, because Squirtle can make it hard for Marth to approach as well. Be smart with Water Gun. Catching his f-air with a Water Gun creates a good opening for an approach. Otherwise, use it to mess with his spacing/zoning, which will diminish the effectiveness of his approach.

The Squirtle player really has to be the one dictating the flow of the match here. Make Marth feel uncomfortable, and don't let him get into that flow where he's shutting the match down, easily swatting away all of your approaches. Whether you fighting or staring each other down should be determined by you, and when you can do so, this matchup becomes winnable.

Ivysaur:

Contrary to Squirtle, Ivysaur can compete in the range department, but lacks severely in the mobility, which unfortunately equates to a much harder time against Marth.

Marth doesn't really have any Ivysaur-specific tricks that make this matchup difficult. Rather, it's just his basic moveset that gives Ivysaur trouble. D-tilt by the edge is particularly dangerous, but Ivysaur just has to be careful around the edge in general. It should be noted that Ivysaur can Bullet Seed out of the final hit of Dancing Blade if Marth uses the down-variation.

Ivysaur has a lot of difficulty dealing with the way Marth approaches. Confronting Marth from the air while facing him is out of the question, since Ivysaur's f-air is so slow. If going from the air, Ivysaur needs to be facing backwards, and Marth's dash speed combined with the range on his f-air (RAR b-air from Marth really hurts too) makes b-air less safe than it should be, when b-air does minimal damage in the first place. Approaching from the ground isn't much better, so Ivysaur shouldn't approach at all. B-air works when spaced perfectly if Marth is already in the air, and grounded up-b is great for sniping a Marth that gets too comfortable closing the distance. Ultimately, however, in order to keep Marth from getting past Ivysaur's defenses, the Ivysaur player needs to be outplaying the Marth player pretty hard. Once Marth does get in, Ivysaur has trouble getting Marth off, as Bullet Seed is extremely high risk, b-air hits in the wrong direction, and f-air is too slow. Marth also edgeguards Ivysaur extremely well. Overall, I would recommend switching Ivysaur out as soon as possible.

Charizard:

Charizard has an interesting matchup with Marth. They both have similar movement values, notably the very high dash speeds, yet the matchup is not all that dynamic, largely because Charizard should be focusing on completely controlling the pace of the match.

If Marth manages to get Charizard in a compromising position, between juggling, edgeguarding, and Charizard's general ability to avoid follow-ups due to his slower moves and large frame, Marth is going to be able to tack on a lot of damage. If you end up in the air above him, make sure you are thinking hard about when to use your jumps, as once you are stuck above him without jumps, it is virtually impossible to return to the ground. B-reversals may be able to give you enough of a momentum shift to get past the juggle, so always keep those in mind. Because of this, you want to shut the match down to a zoning game, and aim to deal damage gradually, but safely. Short bursts of Flamethrower can be effective, as can f-tilt. The overall goal is to slowly limit Marth's space, and push him towards the ledge.

However, this does not entail standing still and throwing out moves - Marth will outmaneuver you if you play that way. Instead, take advantage of Charizard's amazing movement. Move in and out of Marth's zone (use that dash speed; the closest you get should still be outside of his f-smash range). If he goes for an approach and you're not sure you can punish it, ride the dash away from him - depending on the situation, you can throw out a turnaround Flamethrower, a Rock Smash, or even do nothing and note his reaction to a failed approach. The tricky part is recognizing while doing this when Marth is open, and capitalizing. Most of the time this will come in the form of a dash grab or a dash > u-smash. If you manage to push Marth towards the ledge, these opportunities will present themselves more often.

Just as with Squirtle, juggling and ledgetrapping are strong tools for Charizard in this matchup. Charizard's juggling on Marth is not as effective as Squirtle's since he requires more commitment on his moves, but between u-smash, u-air and grab he can still do very well. Charizard does extremely well at ledgetrapping Marth though, between Flamethrower and grab. Conversely, returning from the ledge as Charizard against Marth is also very difficult. Ledgehop away, mid-air jump Flamethrower landing on stage is a strong option, as if Marth is standing far enough away to avoid the ledgehopped aerial, it's difficult for him to obtain a guaranteed punish on that. But of course, mix it up.

Switch Strategy:

Whether you start Squirtle or Charizard should depend on the stage. On cramped stages such as Lylat Cruise or Battlefield, you should definitely be maximizing your time with Squirtle. On stages such as Final Destination or Pokemon Stadium 1, which are more spacious and are worse for Squirtle's grab releases, you might consider starting Charizard.

The switch strategy I follow in this matchup is to use Ivysaur as little as possible. With the other two, play as outlined above until Marth is at kill percents, then switch for the kill.

Try to avoid the situation where Squirtle is at KO percents and Marth is at very low percents, especially on cramped stages. If Squirtle were to die, Ivysaur would not be able to get a switch off without leaving Charizard to take a hit, which on cramped stages could mean 70+%. I would strongly consider switching to Ivysaur as a sacrifice in such a situation.

Stages:

From a starter list of BF/FD/SV/PS1/CS/LC/YI, this would be my preferred order:
  • Smashville
  • Pokemon Stadium 1
  • Castle Siege
  • Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Final Destination
  • Lylat Cruise

So strikes would be from the bottom up.

Ban either Final Destination or Lylat Cruise. Maybe Brinstar since that stage does not favour Charizard at all.

My counterpicks would be Rainbow Cruise, then probably Smashville and Pokemon Stadium 1.

---

Okay... I wrote a lot more than I expected to lol. I hope that helps, as I think Marth is one of my better matchups. Any comments or additional input would be great. I'm fairly confident in my Squirtle and Ivysaur evaluations... less sure about what I think about the Charizard-Marth matchup.

T-block

B2B TST
I will add that to the final write-up.

I'm also going to add a section of just little things to know when going into the matchup. Things like Bullet Seed out of the down-fourth hit of Dancing Blade, or that Marth suffers 35 frames of RCO lag on a hard landing. Things that you would really only know if you knew someone who mained the character, whether they are matchup specific, or just about Marth in general.

I'd also like to mention that for those of you who don't feel confident in discussing the matchup, asking questions is as good a way to contribute as any =)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I wish I could say more, but I don't play this matchup often enough to have much experience in it.

What platforms can Squirtle be under to keep him safe from most or all of the grab-release stuff?

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Nice info T-block I've been working more and more on this matchup, I will have some input but I'm at work right now so it's difficult.

Luis to answer your question the only platforms that seem to help us are battlefield and lylat, frigate and delfino may have some to but I'm not 100%

Aposl

Smash Ace
I like yoshis against Marth because that platform is almost always there to protect you, the edges allow and extra get up option so its a nice stage. Also doesn't give Marth much room to back up which makes his aggression a little more predictable.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
The only part I think T missed is how good Marth's pivot grab is against Squirtle due to Squirtle's range because shield grabbing and the range that Marth's pivot grab has means that you really have to bait options and play careful. Vinnie plays as Marth when we friendly and it leaves it very difficult to move in on Marth at all figuring he has the moveset such as f-air n-air and u-air to really force options out of you.

As far as stages go yoshi's is real nice because of the extra get-up attack as Aposl listed, along with a solid wall to tech in case of a grab release -> D-air. I personally like taking Marth's to battlefield due to a couple major points mainly the safety the platforms CAN provide and note that I do not use the word will. I have found starting the match camping the top platform against Marth as Squirtle majorly entices Marth mains to attempt and shark through the top platform. You can actually punish whiffed/powershielded/misspaced u-airs, f-airs, and b-airs if you follow them properly mainly if you force Marth into shield pushing you off the platform with one of the above listed options. Camping the top platform's left or right edge facing that direction means you won't get stuck in the free fall animation if Marth shield pushes you off the platform, so punishing U-air with b-air or d-air works really really well. Also if Marth tries and space away from the ledge on any stage you can wall jump over the ledge allows you to wall jump b-air out of his grab range giving you a decent option to push him further back from the ledge. If you start this process you can fall back to the ledge and begin to mix up to help get back over the edge.

And of course since it's me lastly reverse shifting is SO GOOD in this matchup because it's the bait that causes whiffs from Marth which will make a good Marth a bit more cautious. A cautious Marth leaves openings for a lot more hydroplaning so in this matchup reverse shifting plays a big role in controlling Marth while optomizing Squirtle's ground movement which are two factors that REALLY REALLY help Squirtle in this matchup.

T you nailed Zard and Ivy so I figured this was just the extra I had left for squirtle I felt needed to be noted.

Kith

Smash Ace
i despise bf with ivyzard against marth
I think Squirtle is the only one who relatively enjoys BF against Marth (relative to the other two pokemon, of course). I would normally just switch out Ivysaur in that matchup, and although Charizard can hold his own, the platforms really get in his way. I often times feel trapped on a platform with zard since we really don't have many options for enemies under us. A good Marth would use that to his advantage and try to get Zard above him as much as possible in that stage.

Top Bottom