• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Podcast plots out SUPER SMASH BROS. CINEMATIC UNIVERSE (NEW EPISODE: SUPER MARIO!)

ongs17

Smash Rookie
Hey SmashBoards,

I'm a long-time lurker, but a first time poster. Just wanted to share this new project I've been working on!

Hollywood has cinematic universe fever, yet so far Nintendo has been left out in the cold -- which is a shame because they have the biggest crossover in history with Super Smash Bros.!

That's why Pete Simmons-Hayes and I, both of us TV/film writers ourselves, started a new podcast, Mise-en-Smàsh to remedy this problem by having unique writers and comedians on each week to pitch us their various visions for any of the nearly 40 franchises represented in the Super Smash Bros. series with a playable character.

We've released two episodes so far. In the first, our friend Kyle Ryan pitches us his adaptation of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, a sprawling fantasy epic that takes its inspiration from classic samurai films. In the second episode, Hamilton O'Toole joins us to pitch his Star Fox, a gritty political critique on the toxic male persona and the military-industrial complex.

You can listen to us on our website, on Spotify, or on Apple Podcasts

There's lots of good stuff on the horizon (Dr. Mario! Pikmin! Wii Fit!) so be sure to follow and never miss an episode! New episodes go up every Monday!

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Hey SmashBoards,

I'm a long-time lurker, but a first time poster. Just wanted to share this new project I've been working on!

Hollywood has cinematic universe fever, yet so far Nintendo has been left out in the cold -- which is a shame because they have the biggest crossover in history with Super Smash Bros.!

That's why Pete Simmons-Hayes and I, both of us TV/film writers ourselves, started a new podcast, Mise-en-Smàsh to remedy this problem by having unique writers and comedians on each week to pitch us their various visions for any of the nearly 40 franchises represented in the Super Smash Bros. series with a playable character.

We've released two episodes so far. In the first, our friend Kyle Ryan pitches us his adaptation of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, a sprawling fantasy epic that takes its inspiration from classic samurai films. In the second episode, Hamilton O'Toole joins us to pitch his Star Fox, a gritty political critique on the toxic male persona and the military-industrial complex.

You can listen to us on our website, on Spotify, or on Apple Podcasts

There's lots of good stuff on the horizon (Dr. Mario! Pikmin! Wii Fit!) so be sure to follow and never miss an episode! New episodes go up every Monday!
I'll be sure to give it a listen!

ongs17

Smash Rookie
Brand new episode today! This time, Nikki Haririan joins us to pitch Dr. Mario: The Movie -- a war film with massive implications for our entire Super Smash Bros. Cinematic Universe, also featuring a hip-hop soundtrack featuring the likes of City Girls and Rico Nasty.

Here's the link to the episode on our website, but you can also find us on Spotify and Apple Podcasts!

Also find us on Twitter at @miseensmashpod and never miss an episode!

ongs17

Smash Rookie
New episode and it's one we're really proud of! Graham Dunn pitches his feature adaptation of Pikmin; a silent, stop-motion animated film that is also a communist text! Basically, it's Battleship Potemkin for kids!

ongs17

Smash Rookie
New episode day!

Everybody on the planet has stepped on that Wii Fit balance board at some point in their life. Wii Fit is one of the highest-selling video games of all time, and that's why we think Sophie Bramnick's Wii Fit has the potential to be the first fitness-based rom-com to ever break one billion dollars at the box office. Based on the true-life love story of Martin Shkreli, our central heroine will discover that not everything is as it seems as her universe expands.
Give us a listen on Spotify or Apple Podcasts, and follow us on Twitter at @miseensmashpod!

ongs17

Smash Rookie
When the first generation of Pokémon games launched in 1996, it spawned one of the largest media franchises of all time. With an anime series, countless more video games, and even a Hollywood adaptation in the form of 2019's Detective Pikachu, our guest Jon Barr had his work cut out for him this week in order to have his adaptation stand out amongst the crowd. We think he's done just that as his Pokémon movie dives head-first into the politics of Pokémon training and features an all-new, original villain who is sure to become a fan favorite!

ongs17

Smash Rookie
Conversations about a Super Smash Bros. Cinematic Universe usually begin, and often end, with a Super Mario Bros. movie. It's a pretty tough project to adapt for a number of reasons. That's why we brought on one of our favorite people, Michael Oluokun, to solve the Super Mario problem for us with a pitch he's dubbed "your step-dad's Mario," inspired by Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, On the Waterfront, and Raging Bull.

Top Bottom