• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocketed Cannonball Oddity

LGameTales

Smash Cadet
Hopefully this is a special case, but in this video, Isabelle pockets K. Rool's cannonball and it disappears from her pocket when he spawns a new one!

We've seen in Villager dittos that Villager can still pocket another's Lloid and keep it even if the other Villager spawns a new one, but if stealing back one-only items is a thing, then we can't effectively remove something like banana from play like Villager could in Smash 4...

LGameTales

Smash Cadet
I've found footage of Link trying to spawn a new bomb while its pocketed, and it plain doesn't work!

Surely and hopefully this will happen with banana too.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Perhaps it's because Link's bomb takes longer to de-spawn? K. Rool's cannonballs don't travel the entire stage before they vanish, only around for a couple of seconds, if that. On the other hand, Link's bombs stay around for a really long time, perhaps it just hasn't de-spawned inside the pocket. It's possible that items and projectiles may now de-spawn within the pocket rather than being essentially frozen in time. That's my only theory.

Last edited:

LGameTales

Smash Cadet
That's a good theory!

What I was thinking was that it might be a special case since K. Rool can't have two cannonballs out at once, but at the same time, there's no fail animation for him trying. If he has a cannonball out and he presses B, it goes straight into the vacuum portion. So the game may see that no cannonball is in play and allows K. Rool to shoot another, which needs to steal it from the pocket so that only one from the same character exist at a time.

I think Occam's razor would nod to your theory. I guess we'll see when the game releases. I'm just glad we may still be able to steal banana.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
That's a good theory!

What I was thinking was that it might be a special case since K. Rool can't have two cannonballs out at once, but at the same time, there's no fail animation for him trying. If he has a cannonball out and he presses B, it goes straight into the vacuum portion. So the game may see that no cannonball is in play and allows K. Rool to shoot another, which needs to steal it from the pocket so that only one from the same character exist at a time.

I think Occam's razor would nod to your theory. I guess we'll see when the game releases. I'm just glad we may still be able to steal banana.
I suppose this will warrant some testing post launch (it's even possible that Isabelle's pocket may work differently from the mayor's in this regard) but for now I guess we'll have to wait and theorize.

Top Bottom