• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Wolf Social thread

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Cause there should be one rather then people posting tons of nonsensical threads.

Also, did anyone else know :wolf: had chain grabs on some characters? I was experimenting with boost pivot grab out of bthrow.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Basically anything other than a grab out of Bthrow. Enjoy ;)

But of course, Seagull has found ways to get a grab out of it on some characters anyway.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Yeah he can boost pivot grab with bthrow as a chaingrab if they DI away, and if they DI close to you, you can either dash attack then grab again, or most likely just grab again right away on some heavier characters.

Dash attack feels really good on Wolf.

Edit: Also can we get a 3.0 video thread? Or should we just keep using the current one? I'm guessing most people already know channels to find good Wolf vids.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
What are some of Wolf's throw combos? I tend not to follow up well on my grabs and sometimes it seems pointless.
Literally every throw is a combo throw. Up throw is very reliable against the obvious candidates, as well as characters like Peach who can't do anything when they're above you. Back/Down throw = free tech chase or dash attack, on many characters. Back/Forward throw = potential side-b, and again, dash attack.

Considering 1) Wolf's grab range is decent, 2) his ground speed is great, 3) he has a laser

you should be grabbing a lot. No need to do it mid-combo if you don't want to, but if you're having trouble getting in and starting combos, go for it.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Wolf definitely has one of the most solid grab games in PM. He gets a lot of reward from grabs, from combos to kills and just general positioning.

Also I feel like up b is a really great gimp tool. You can be above the ledge, and up down to it to grab it and meteor smash someone trying to grab the edge. I actually don't even know if it's considered a meteor. I'm not sure if they can cancel the momentum or not since its almost more like KB from a wind hit box. They nerfed it's power a tad though into 3.0 since it was too easy to kill people onstage with it.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I don't like the fact this thread was made by joe...
Can someone tell me the setups and %'s for side B.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
Mid to high percents on middle weights you can probably D throw and get one off of that. I think it's higher ones for this, but if you can shine, immediately SH and immediately side B after that SH you should get it. And you always have the higher mid to higher percents B throw into it. Those are the setups I use and usually 9/10 get it

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I feel that Wolf is a great character within this game now, and his Dash > U-Tilt works a great amount for setting up some aerial combos. Then of course, we have N-air > L-Cancel > F-Smash at low percentages, which is good for dealing some good blows.

LOL, I found out his Dash attack is called "Splendid Claw".

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
hey I'm totally new to PM and decided to mess around with wolf. I'm having trouble finding much info on how to cancel wolf's blaster and what dacus is/how it works.
would someone care to help ;)

edit: k actually I figured out the blaster thing, I just didn't know when I could air dodge out of it

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
well i know for a certain, one major point of the MU would be how CCable pit it. wolf has an amazing CC game, even against people who try to space attacks on him (CC fsmash, dsmash, and shine.. all so good). Wolf on the other hand, has several approaches that negate CCing, between nair, dair, and grab approaches (all enhanced with the use of blaster in conjunction with them). He is also faster than pit in every way, and despite pits disjoint, he actually has a lot of moves that can easily content with pits for range, and in a few cases, totally outrange him. if you try to kill him onstage, youre probably going to get killed first, because wolf has so many potent onstage options to kill pit (coupled with his amazing speed and pressure game, it makes it quite hard to avoid). side b, DACUS (or up smash in general), fair, and fsmash are all going to be potent options against pit. the vertical killers (fair and upsmash/DACUS) are going to be especially potent since pit dies so early vertically. Wolf has a great gimp game generally, but gimping pit will likely be quite hard, so you know the wolf will try to focus on onstage killers.

i feel like all of pits kills are going to come from gimps. some combo of fairs and arrows are probably the best bet to kill him. things like upsmash and up b are going to be much harder to kill with since wolf survives so long vertically (he has the second best vertical survivability behind CF). Pits arrows could probably give wolf a lot of trouble in neutral, since theyre hard to get past and set up for combos. it looks to me like pit could have some trouble here, but i think it comes down to how effective you can be in the neutral game.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
well i know for a certain, one major point of the MU would be how CCable pit it. wolf has an amazing CC game, even against people who try to space attacks on him (CC fsmash, dsmash, and shine.. all so good). Wolf on the other hand, has several approaches that negate CCing, between nair, dair, and grab approaches (all enhanced with the use of blaster in conjunction with them). He is also faster than pit in every way, and despite pits disjoint, he actually has a lot of moves that can easily content with pits for range, and in a few cases, totally outrange him. if you try to kill him onstage, youre probably going to get killed first, because wolf has so many potent onstage options to kill pit (coupled with his amazing speed and pressure game, it makes it quite hard to avoid). side b, DACUS (or up smash in general), fair, and fsmash are all going to be potent options against pit. the vertical killers (fair and upsmash/DACUS) are going to be especially potent since pit dies so early vertically. Wolf has a great gimp game generally, but gimping pit will likely be quite hard, so you know the wolf will try to focus on onstage killers.

i feel like all of pits kills are going to come from gimps. some combo of fairs and arrows are probably the best bet to kill him. things like upsmash and up b are going to be much harder to kill with since wolf survives so long vertically (he has the second best vertical survivability behind CF). Pits arrows could probably give wolf a lot of trouble in neutral, since theyre hard to get past and set up for combos. it looks to me like pit could have some trouble here, but i think it comes down to how effective you can be in the neutral game.
Anything you know about stages?

Also thank you for the overview :)

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Uhh... what should I do about people who CC my shine?

YaBoy

Smash Cadet
Maybe its because I'm coming from roy, but I find I have a hard time killing as Wolf. I can combo people to 100-150+ without much trouble but itrs really frustrating when every one of their stock ends at like 200%. I had a similiar problem when i picked up melee. With Marth. So I'm assuming its me missing something in his kit. What are Wolfs most reliable kill moves and how do you combo into them? As of right now i pretty much 100% rely on back air or optimistic forward//down smashes

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hey, my friend is wondering if there is a Wolf skype group
Who should he add so that you guys could add him in ? :V

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Maybe its because I'm coming from roy, but I find I have a hard time killing as Wolf. I can combo people to 100-150+ without much trouble but itrs really frustrating when every one of their stock ends at like 200%. I had a similiar problem when i picked up melee. With Marth. So I'm assuming its me missing something in his kit. What are Wolfs most reliable kill moves and how do you combo into them? As of right now i pretty much 100% rely on back air or optimistic forward//down smashes
I had this problem for awhile but I feel I'm finally figuring it out. Wolf has a lot of good kill moves, some are better on different characters. Bair is good for edgeguarding, and this is something I didn't do enough as Wolf - doing this alone should increase your kill potential - drop of ledge and bair them, that normally is effective. Down smash is a move I under utilized, it's good for guarding at the end of the stage and it comes out really fast - crouch cancelling it is also really useful. Flash is a really good kill move and is extremely risky, I'm still figuring this move out, but I think I know a few ways you can use it at the moment. From back throw, you can instantly flash them depending on the percentage and character weight (I've not researched enough to know, but I think it works on fast fallers more often, they can also DI it). It can also be set up from dair and sometimes shine in the air, depending on the percentage. Fsmash is an amazing kill move because of it's range, and that's when you should be using it. Other examples of using it is when a chracter is recovering just above the ledge, such as Ganon's up B - if you space and time it correctly you can get the very farthest hitbox of Fsmash. The last kill move I can think of is fair. This move has a sweet spot and is normally for finishing them off when they're trying to get back on stage, not mastered this move yet, but I know it's good. Hopefully that helped you somewhat, I'm still learning this character every day, but that's what I know so far.

tl;dr Fsmash, Dsmash, Flash, Fair and Bair.

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Hi Wolf mains.

I'm wondering, what is the generally agreed upon best version of Wolf? Did he have anything notable in previous versions (i.e. like Charizard's 2.5 infinite glide) that has since been taken out? I'm making a custom version of P:M with the best versions of all characters in it. Thanks again!

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Does anyone know what's the best way to combo a shine when they're really close to you? Crouch cancelling it seems like it takes much longer, and wavedashing seems to take to long. Could anyone help me out? :)

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
How does an amazing character like wolf have such a slow subforum area.

I bring thee back to life.

Henceforth :yeahboi:

JayMan-X

Smash Apprentice
well Ive been thinking about picking up wolf lately... any cool things or secret tech i should know about the old doge?

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Nair>shine is broken (like is so good, un-CCable and is guaranteed to link on shield), and you can follow up any DI off shine with some sort of combo or positioning pressure set-up.

Up-b stalling on the ledge has no holes of non-invincibility frames if you drop off back and jump > up-b quickly.

JayMan-X

Smash Apprentice
Up-b stalling on the ledge has no holes of non-invincibility frames if you drop off back and jump > up-b quickly.
Oh cool, ive been trying to let go of the ledge and shine -> jump upB like Fox and Falco can do but wolf's upB doesn't really work the same...

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
What are the inputs for boost pivot grab? Not the actual buttons, but the actions.

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Nair>shine is broken (like is so good, un-CCable and is guaranteed to link on shield), and you can follow up any DI off shine with some sort of combo or positioning pressure set-up.

Do you have any footage of yout Wolf? I'd like to see it since you know quite a bit.

Last edited:

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
Im having trouble getting the timing down for wolf's waveshine and multi shine. I know it just comes to practice but its probably because it just feels different then melee. eventually ill get it :awesome:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Do you have any footage of yout Wolf? I'd like to see it since you know quite a bit.
No I'm bad
I'm just a huge lab monkey. I theory craft and try to find tech more than anything else (I told the mew two boards to try out tp> float/footstool shield pressure like months before emu and kaos started doing it, although I realy doubt they got it from me) You could probably find a lot of my fox and Diddy on the az YouTube channels, but like I said I'm bad lol. I'm decent when I play with a good mindset but that doesn't happen often.

Idk, I just started picking up wolf a few weeks ago because I go sick of Diddy salt and pm fox messes up my melee fox, and haven't been playing pm much. Our next az biweekly is next saturday, I'll try to do decent and get on stream so I can show my fraud wolf in the video thread.

Last edited:

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
Why is Rumble Falls not played on in tournaments? Is it because of camping? I just thought about this because its my favorite stage, i love practicing multishines and waveshines and shortening wolfs sideB or any tech with another character. Thinking about it i dont remember ever seeing it being used in doubles either.

Kitanamonk

Smash Cadet
Why is Rumble Falls not played on in tournaments? Is it because of camping? I just thought about this because its my favorite stage, i love practicing multishines and waveshines and shortening wolfs sideB or any tech with another character. Thinking about it i dont remember ever seeing it being used in doubles either.

Simple, the floor isn't a real floor, as such it rewards characters with multiple jumps as they can come from below as much as they want. This means it would be a very campy stage. Also not sure anyone would want to play with more curved platforms, Yoshi's island is already Janky enough.

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
The wolf boards are always pretty quiet. Which sucks hes such a good character.

And i learned that a while back about rumble falls. its still my favorite stage. at least it was changed for 3.5. and now its being used in tournament as a counterpick

Venom_909

Smash Apprentice
Sup guys finally made a SB account.

Socal Wolf Venom here.

Normally play at SSS or tournaments around Socal can prollly catch me a little on stream either getting bopped or on commentary.

Just thought id finally introduce myself.

BearFist

Smash Rookie
Hi guys. BearFist here. Usually go by the tag Bear when I can. Just wanted to say hi.

I'm an upstate New York Wolf player who originally started out playing CFalcon and still uses him as a secondary. Right now I don't have many people to play with most of the time so I thought I would pick up someone that would let me practice tech and I've always loved wolf. Practiced with him for many long hours now and I think I can safely call him my main. Still looking for people to play with and I go to tourneys when I can, which sadly isn't often.

Kitanamonk

Smash Cadet
Welcome to the wolf pack guys.

The tech practice is also what drew me to wolf (after playing zelda who requires about as much tech as jigglypuff), then the first day I played him I just couldn't stop smiling, he is just such a joy to play.

Venom_909

Smash Apprentice
Yeah im originally known as Hairynipples a pretty well known CF melee player. One of the better socal falcons. But lately been having more fun playing PM

Top Bottom