• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Kirby Video Archive + Review and Critique

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I checked and there doesn't seem to be a video thread in the Kirby forums yet. If a mod sees this and stickies it, I would greatly appreciate it. I will try to maintain the upkeep of the OP by updating it with new videos that are posted below. Post matches of yourself or someone playing Project M Kirby, and ask for constructive criticism if you would like it. Enjoy! ;)

MrButterFuzz

Smash Rookie
I really like your air game against fox. I personally like dthrow to jab reset to dthrow again, just to build up that damage real fast. Also its harder for spacies to tech dthrows, and if they did techroll left of right just slap em with that hammer... or regrab. They like that. :] You have a solid Kirby. I would just work on the techreads to jab resets a little more to just make sure they feel helpless. Oh, and I'm sure you know this but when fox upthrow to upair, DI up. So fox doesn't land that upair.

Don't try to challenge the upair with a downb either after the upthrow, because that doesn't work half the time... I hate that upair. -_-

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
.....does anyone want to critique my videos so I can see what I can improve? :(
More FoP
Punish game looks like a possible hole for you. Learn to jab reset into a variety of followups when you knock a furry down. Don't try to dash attack someone you're right next to, heh.
Don't try to hammer below, like, 80%
More command grab and Dtilt/ftilt abuse

Those are pretty minor nitpicks though, your kirby is sick

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
some new videos posted on my channel from our recent live streamed smashfest

Looks like you already got most of them, but I just added one more that didn't make it to youtube for some reason...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB-8iNvtnIU&list=PLwkVzVDC0Vy-MrTvw5xUcsYtmATc2PfNt

If you want to support Washington smash and/or 62-bit Gaming - or you want to see more Kirby in general - please follow, like, and subscribe to the following links!

www.youtube.com/gimpyfish62
www.facebook.com/62bitgaming
www.twitter.com/62bitgaming
www.62bitgaming.tumblr.com

Frost | Odds

Are you wanting a critique, Gimpy, or are you just adding that for additional sexy kirby footage?

I thought you were more or less done with srs PM.

edit edit: any chance we could get our fuzzy pink mitts on Kirby's frame data?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
just showing - you'll be getting a lot more pm footage from wa in the future.

am i playing... seriously? eh.

more serious about PM than i am about melee right now that's for sure, but that is hardly saying much

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
I really like your air game against fox. I personally like dthrow to jab reset to dthrow again, just to build up that damage real fast. Also its harder for spacies to tech dthrows, and if they did techroll left of right just slap em with that hammer... or regrab. They like that. :] You have a solid Kirby. I would just work on the techreads to jab resets a little more to just make sure they feel helpless. Oh, and I'm sure you know this but when fox upthrow to upair, DI up. So fox doesn't land that upair.

Don't try to challenge the upair with a downb either after the upthrow, because that doesn't work half the time... I hate that upair. -_-
I thought DI'ing vertically when being thrown/launched vertically had no effect? Same with being horizontally thrown/launched.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
You seem to have a pretty good idea of what you're doing. I think you could have made more use of U-Air, air Hammer, tilts, and Inhale though. Also, I didn't see a lot of grabs until the last stock. I know 3 of Kirby's throws are ass, but a tech chase is nothing to sneeze at. :p

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
D-Throw is a tech chase and B-Throw has a decent angle for putting people offstage. What could U and F-Throw possibly have over those two?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Fthrow sets up regrab mix-ups at low-mid %'s and it outright combos with bad DI. Uthrow combos at mid %'s and it also sets up a lot of things on FFers at high %'s. It all depends on your placement on the stage and the type and % of the opponent you are throwing. I have even managed to land hammer on opponents out of uthrow.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Kirby's throws are all good, and have different uses. I don't like that F throw gives such less percent than the other throws, but it still is good because of its function. As for U throw, yes many would have liked for U throw to do more damage and yes many would have liked it to be a kill throw, but the move still functions well.

1. D throw: This one seems to be the easiest for most Kirby players to apply well. You can get a good tech chase game going and at higher percents against certain characters it will grant you a combo usually leading into a kill.

2. B throw: The main use of this throw is for positioning. This throw works well to get them off the stage due to its trajectory.

3. U throw: At certain percents it can combo. Against fast fallers you can use U throw at killing percents since D throw won't allow you to get a combo at killing percents against them. If they DI away you can combo into air hammer at around 70% which can kill.

4. F throw: Unlike all the other throws where they can actually get behind you, F throw will always send them in front of you despite their DI. Since you are barely still airborne after the move you can perform cutter dash to chase them instantly after the throw (the recovery is almost instant so the cutter dash needs to be input as early as possible.) After hitting with a cutter dash you should be able to continue the combo with another aerial attack. If they DI towards you instead of away, then you can easily hit with a different aerial attack. This move does not combo well at higher percents.

Frost | Odds

Rare footage of my kirby, from recent regional.

I haven't practiced in literally 2 months due to joint issues, so I make loads of technical errors and dash attack way too much. Nonetheless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9K8LJQHUVQ (game 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mog5r0-aQws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52y6OIRiLSo (games 1 and 2)

Please, tear me apart. I've found lots of mistakes, but other perspectives would be wonderful. Especially re: bad habits and possible mindset issues. Sorry for the based commentary, heh. Jeff has a much higher opinion of my play than I do. >.>

Last edited:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
most kirbys need more swallow imo. work on spit and swallow mix ups.

most of kirbys hats are better than the original powers, so use them. and the few that arent, it only takes like half a second to down taunt them away.

Frost | Odds

most of kirbys hats are better than the original powers, so use them
And most of those are way inferior to kirby's nB.

most kirbys need more swallow imo. work on spit and swallow mix ups.
I nB more than any other kirby I've seen. It actually seemed to often be a mistake.

I don't think you watched any of the videos; this is incredibly unhelpful. :/

Last edited:

Glick

Smash Lord
And most of those are way inferior to kirby's nB.

I nB more than any other kirby I've seen. It actually seemed to often be a mistake.

I don't think you watched any of the videos; this is incredibly unhelpful. :/
You miss your short hops out of sheild a lot. it's really important to get the timing on that. saw your SH bairs going right over the ivys head. You could have done a bit more nair out of sheild to avoid pressure.

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
You should have stayed Kirby. You could have won! :facepalm: Please, oh, PLEASE start landing follow-ups off of your dash attack. You landed a bunch (since you used it so much) but failed to capitalize. DA > f/u/nair is a thing and will lead to more things. Also, you need to recover smarter. You never go for other throw set-ups aside from dthrow > ftilt which is pretty underwhelming. A more detailed analysis to follow...

Frost | Odds

Thanks for your time, bubbaking. I can't wait for your full critique.

I know now that upthrow->solar beam works if Ivy has bad DI, but don't know of any other throw setups.

Top Bottom