• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Kirby Video Archive + Review and Critique

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Hey everyone, I recently recorded an exhibition set I played and would love some feedback on it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2FTdtJwuU
From watching it myself, I've noticed that I really need to work on:
-sweetspotting my up-b and double jumps to the ledge
-being more patient in neutral and not just dash attacking to try and create an opening
-apparently(I only just noticed this), I have a tendency to spot dodge after almost every missed grab or tilt, which could really get punished once my opponent picks up on it
-I think I can make better use of my various options coming down(like air-dodge and nair) rather than almost always using dair or down-b as a mixup
-I missed a few edge-guards on his both of his characters, and dropped gimp opportunities against his falco that I really need to clean up, especially at the end of the last game I really made some questionable decisions and ended up letting him back onstage.

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
My bad, I think I just changed it to unlisted, so the link should work.

Shenanigan

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, I recently recorded an exhibition set I played and would love some feedback on it!
-being more patient in neutral and not just dash attacking to try and create an opening
-apparently(I only just noticed this), I have a tendency to spot dodge after almost every missed grab or tilt, which could really get punished once my opponent picks up on it
-I think I can make better use of my various options coming down(like air-dodge and nair) rather than almost always using dair or down-b as a mixup
-I missed a few edge-guards on his both of his characters, and dropped gimp opportunities against his falco that I really need to clean up, especially at the end of the last game I really made some questionable decisions and ended up letting him back onstage.
vs. Marth:
  • Quit rolling in. Better players will punish you for it.
  • When Marth recovers low, edgeguarding is as simple as dropping from ledge and bairing. It will trade with his up b and he won't be able to make it back.
  • When you up throw against Marth you should be able to get followups instead of just trying to punish his landing. Hey Ark5712 Ark5712 you should come say what they are since I don't actually use up throw.
  • When you down throw, don't instantly jab. If they miss the tech you have plenty of time to jab on reaction, and doing it automatically caused you to miss several tech chases.
  • When you down throw at high percent, downward angled f tilt will kill, especially if you're near the ledge.
  • Quit approaching with side cutter, it's not good. Try fair into down tilt or bair into up tilt instead.
  • You get stuck in shield after aerials enough that i noticed it, especially on platforms. L cancel quicker.
vs. Falco:
  • When you get a grab on a platform, always use down throw. It's very easy to rack up 100+ percent off of it, and against most characters can end in a guaranteed down smash.
  • When you land a dair at mid to high percents on a grounded opponent, down smash, up smash, all three tilts and grab are all guaranteed (at 15:55 I would have done dair -> grab -> pummel x2 -> back throw -> edgeguard).
  • When edgeguarding Falco at low percents, nair and bair are preferable to up air. Also don't be afraid to stay out there, he's going to die before you run out of jumps.
  • Quit recovering with side cutter so much. Starting vertical cutter high and falling all the way to ledge is a good mix up to always going sideways.
  • When he DI's forward throw in you can get fair (and I think up air but I'm not sure since I always use fair) into regrab.
  • Pummel when you get grabs. I wanna say every 35% means an extra pummel, but I'm not really sure. Also players at your level generally don't mash out of grabs.

That's just what I noticed on my first watch. Hope it helps!

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
vs. Marth:
  • Quit rolling in. Better players will punish you for it.
  • When Marth recovers low, edgeguarding is as simple as dropping from ledge and bairing. It will trade with his up b and he won't be able to make it back.
  • When you up throw against Marth you should be able to get followups instead of just trying to punish his landing. Hey Ark5712 Ark5712 you should come say what they are since I don't actually use up throw.
  • When you down throw, don't instantly jab. If they miss the tech you have plenty of time to jab on reaction, and doing it automatically caused you to miss several tech chases.
  • When you down throw at high percent, downward angled f tilt will kill, especially if you're near the ledge.
  • Quit approaching with side cutter, it's not good. Try fair into down tilt or bair into up tilt instead.
  • You get stuck in shield after aerials enough that i noticed it, especially on platforms. L cancel quicker.
vs. Falco:
  • When you get a grab on a platform, always use down throw. It's very easy to rack up 100+ percent off of it, and against most characters can end in a guaranteed down smash.
  • When you land a dair at mid to high percents on a grounded opponent, down smash, up smash, all three tilts and grab are all guaranteed (at 15:55 I would have done dair -> grab -> pummel x2 -> back throw -> edgeguard).
  • When edgeguarding Falco at low percents, nair and bair are preferable to up air. Also don't be afraid to stay out there, he's going to die before you run out of jumps.
  • Quit recovering with side cutter so much. Starting vertical cutter high and falling all the way to ledge is a good mix up to always going sideways.
  • When he DI's forward throw in you can get fair (and I think up air but I'm not sure since I always use fair) into regrab.
  • Pummel when you get grabs. I wanna say every 35% means an extra pummel, but I'm not really sure. Also players at your level generally don't mash out of grabs.

That's just what I noticed on my first watch. Hope it helps!
That was really helpful, thanks so much! I haven't had the chance to watch myself play before, and after watching it again I saw a lot of the same problems that you pointed out(rolling, predictable recovery, etc.). I didn't know about the throw follow-ups on marth, since I've played that matchup before and it seems as if they DI up and outwards then I can't get a follow-up after low percents. I use the f-throw -> first hit fair -> regrab a lot, the reason I didn't use it in this set is because I've done it against him before, and was expecting him to DI properly.

Ark5712

Smash Cadet
vs. Marth:
Against Marth, upthrow isn't the best. If he DI's in front of you, you can fair at lower percents, but only if he doesn't get out an attack first. Marth can usually fair or panic uair you out of your upthrow options if he DI's in front of or above you.

Sometimes you can get an U-air or Nair out if he's above you, but he's got to not be picking his panic options. If he DI's behind you, you can almost always get a back air which can lead to a high edgeguard/wall of pain situation. This is the best for you, and Marths that know the matchup will almost never DI this way.

Against Marth I almost always want D-throw, or sometimes at low percents I'll attempt F-throw > fair > regrab or F-throw >waveland > (optional jab, depends on DI) > regrab. Fthrow is a decent option at lower percents if you land a grab center stage.

Hope that helps a bit.

EDIT: I should add that, against other characters, upthrow has several other viable followups. It depends largely on weight, percent, and DI, but there are several true combos out of it. DI in can lead to Uair/nair strings, behind can guaranteed confirm to bair or hammer, and in front can lead to hammer, cutter dash, or fair strings.

Also fun stuff: You can also get some footstools out of upthrow; if they DI above you, jump > footstool > stone is true and hilarious. In the case of front or back DI you can cutterdash > Jump(if needed) > footstool > rock or dair > followup. Landing the stone at low to mid percents will often lead to bair or uair if you cancel it soon enough.

Last edited:

Hi I'm Urban

Smash Cadet

I actually really liked your style of play, it's very similar to how I try to take on the marth match up. It's great that you can play the bait and punish game against marth but I would say that you could afford to be more patient. Also, you should try to recover higher against marth. A looooot of kill confirms he had on you were at the ledge, with marth's range and simply effective punishes, ledge hop fair is pretty risky. I like to drop from ledge, hop back, begin jumping high to force him to either leave his position or to bait out an f-smash and then get back to stage. And if you do have to get on stage from the ledge, try air dodging through his sword, just don't make it a bad habit and mix it up. One of the biggest tools kirby has is the amount of mix ups his recovery can provide. Like shenanigans said, as well, you should get more comfortable with using your vertical cutter for safer recoveries. Just be aware that you can get tipper f-smashed though it.

As for the falco match-up, I gotta ask, where your d-throws at yo? Esspecially on platforms, d-throw is going to be your best throw at low percentages in the spacie match-up. I do like using mix ups with kirby's throws but most are DI dependant to use for follow ups and are usually pretty unreliable. I only use up-throw into hammer or landing and up-tilting at VERY low percentages as well as forward throw at higher percentages to force a tech chase opportunity or to throw them off stage. Aside from that, you typically always want to down-throw or back-throw for follow ups and edge guards. Speaking of edge guarding, I have a pretty simple rule to follow when edge guarding falco. Don't go deep if he is above you or can get above you with a jump, in that scenario, grab ledge and react to what he does. You can get some gimps that way, sure, but you risk getting meteored and getting put into an edge guard situation in falco's favor. Literally one of the worst scenarios to put yourself in. If falco has to use up-b, then gimp the hell out of him. If he has the option to use side-b, put out a bair or nair hit box either with ledge invincibility or while on stage.

I'm sure there's more I could get into but these are the immediate things I had noticed. I really did like a lot of little things you did, and I do similar things as well. I like that when you were using side cutter, you would try to land it on platforms to retain your jumps immediately. I love using that option as long as they aren't in range to punish. And all of us kirby mains need to stop going for side-cutter as an approach, it's start up is slow and it's an easy punish. That being said, I really like using it above the enemy so that the blade can connect while I can either land on a platform or land behind them with a bair. Still risky but it's the least punishable way to approach with it and is good for mix ups.

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I've been working on a lot of the stuff that shenanigan and arc mentioned, but I hadn't thought of using my jumps to recover high from edge. I was having some trouble doing the d-throw tech chases against his falco compared to his marth because with marth I could get an f-smash or regrab against any of his options if I made the correct read, but falco's longer tech roll made me realize that I need to get better at reacting to tech options.

Hi I'm Urban

Smash Cadet
You also don't always have to regrab in a tech chase, I usually run into fair to downtilt to try pushing him off the edge.

Hi I'm Urban

Smash Cadet
https://youtu.be/QuH_uA3diO8

Hey guys, been a long time. Just uploading some friendlies with one of our state's greatest players. I've got a lot to learn but felt that I did ok against his DK and his Roy. (though, neither are his mains, RIP)

My matches are at 3:40 and 9:50 ish

Last edited:

Ark5712

Smash Cadet
https://youtu.be/QuH_uA3diO8

Hey guys, been a long time. Just uploading some friendlies with one of our state's greatest players. I've got a lot to learn but felt that I did ok against his DK and his Roy. (though, neither are his mains, RIP)

My matches are at 3:40 and 9:50 ish

Urban, if you're not part of the Discord, you should go ahead and join. We're much more active there than here.

Permanent invite link: https://discord.gg/dn4aSz6

Top Bottom