• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM 4.0 idea, downward arrows

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I play Pit as another one of the characters I know in PM(as of 3.5) and I was playing around with arrows in the lab one day and as I was changing directions with it I suddenly wondered if it'd be cool if Pit could aim downwards from the air. So I'm asking all the Pit mains here if aiming arrows downward from the air would be a good addition to Pit in 4.0 cause I'd like to hear your opinions on it. Would it be useless, useful, broken? Lets have a discussion and find out

Me personally I think it might be a cool way to help Pit when he's coming down from the air but I'm worried that it might be an OP edge guarding tool cause you could possibly run off the edge and shoot an arrow downwards to snuff out any vertical recoveries.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
lol that's what I was afraid of, do you think there might be a way to balance it though? XD

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I don't think it would be broken, aiming the arrows downward has an animation and you could fine-tune the animation length to compensate for its usefulness.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Oh like make it take a little longer for him to aim downwards than it would for him to aim upward or left or right?

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Ok I'd like to point out that after thinking about it I can't imagine Pit without the ability to aim downwards now. Lol like when I'm in the air it feels natural to try to aim downwards the so I'm hoping the PMDT sees this and makes it happen in the next update X)

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
It would give pit a free time coming down. I don't know if this is good or bad. It would also make for a nasty edge-guard, following up a spike with downward arrows. Or even combos in general...
Dair(spike) -> Arrow -> Dair(spike) repeat? aerial pillars?

DO WANT

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
It would give pit a free time coming down. I don't know if this is good or bad. It would also make for a nasty edge-guard, following up a spike with downward arrows. Or even combos in general...
Dair(spike) -> Arrow -> Dair(spike) repeat? aerial pillars?

DO WANT
Lmao oh no, I'm all for Pit getting better but I DO NOT wanna create a new age Falco . If that means no downward arrows then so be it XD

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Lmao oh no, I'm all for Pit getting better but I DO NOT wanna create a new age Falco . If that means no downward arrows then so be it XD
I think it would be pretty cool. You would only be able to do one or two because pit only has 3 midair jumps. Also the combo would carry pit in a downward angle so if preformed grounded the opponent could tech. Besides pits spike hitbox is pretty hard to hit.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that's true, the spike is at the end of the swing if I remember correctly and I heard it's one of the weakest spikes in the game

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
It got buffed in 3.5 but I think its still on par with the pika tail spike. Fingers crossed for downward arrows.

Skelterai

Smash Cadet
Pika's tail spike is much easier to execute than pit's spike.

I think downward arrows are a neat idea, but that is going to give hard changes to his match ups

Falcon will never make it back to stage again, Luigi and Mario will not have fun getting past them, and Ike will probably be able to hit us with the Top of his up b

Life

Smash Hero
Downward arrow would be either horribly useless or painfully overpowered depending on the scenario, for the sole reason that arrow knockback is vertical in nature i.e. you'd be firing a projectile that would bring people towards you. Either the opponent would be able to sit under a platform and wait for you to come down then punish the arrow endlag, or they wouldn't be able to do so and would have to exist at the mercy of your ability to aim and then react to their DI with fair or bair or whatever. Besides, a huge chunk of Pit's arrow counterplay is in his blind spots, as I laid out in my arrow thread elsewhere on this board. A Pit who camps with aerial arrows gets hit as soon as someone gets under his arrow arc. Granted, a huge chunk of that blind spot still exists in that scenario, but less so as Pit gets higher in the air.

Pit has all the tools he needs to beat any opponent, but you have to play the player, not their character.

tl;dr I'm not sure you folks realize just what you're asking for.

Skelterai

Smash Cadet
Mainly I think it will give us another option for returning to the stage from above, as pit doesn't have a whole lot of options for doing so.

Top Bottom