• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Plum's Smashing Golfing Club of Supporters - Mario Golf Support Thread

smash puffle

Smash Ace
"Nice Shot!"

376px-Plum.png

Plum is one of the starter characters you can play as in Mario Golf on the Nintendo 64. Plum is generally a well-balanced golfer, though she lacks strength; as such, she cannot drive the ball very far. However, Plum makes up for her lack of power with technique and control. She also has a straight shot trajectory. She is usually suited for beginners.
Mario Golf is one of the most underrated Mario spinoff series, technically starting in 1984 with the original Golf (which used to be in every Switch system as a tribute to Satoru Iwata, since he was the main programmer of that game).

Being a golfer, her moveset would entirely rely on her golfing skills and a wide variety of golf clubs. A very projectile based fighter, her shots could have a topspin/backspin mechanic, and the Item Shot mechanic from the 3DS title, Mario Golf: World Tour. They could be shot at random. Maybe she could switch different golf clubs as one of her special moves, so every golf swing and special move she does changes slightly differently, giving her moveset a lot more depth and strategy.

Plum in particular has appeared in the Smash series as a trophy in Melee, and a sticker in Brawl. She didn't show up in Ultimate as a spirit, but Kid did.
800px-Trophy205.png

I think a fighter based entirely on one sport would be really interesting instead of representing them all, something that Peach technically has with her forward smash (and Waluigi would most likely have some golf moves too if he got in). We also lack a pure sports game rep and golf is my favorite sport. Mario Golf 64 is one of my all-time favorite games, so despite how insanely unlikely this is, I would love this very much.

If you want to show your support for this silly idea, here's the list:
smash puffle (me)
smashkirby
Giga Man
lady_sky skipper
Janx_uwu
Dolph63
Doc Monocle
KirbyWorshipper2465
Foxy Alopex
ninjahmos

:starman: Thanks for reading! :starman:

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
"Nice Shot!"

View attachment 264290

Plum is one of the starter characters you can play as in Mario Golf on the Nintendo 64. Plum is generally a well-balanced golfer, though she lacks strength; as such, she cannot drive the ball very far. However, Plum makes up for her lack of power with technique and control. She also has a straight shot trajectory. She is usually suited for beginners.
Mario Golf is one of the most underrated Mario spinoff series, technically starting in 1984 with the original Golf (which used to be in every Switch system as a tribute to Satoru Iwata, since he was the main programmer of that game).

Being a golfer, her moveset would entirely rely on her golfing skills and a wide variety of golf clubs. A very projectile based fighter, her shots could have a topspin/backspin mechanic, and the Item Shot mechanic from the 3DS title, Mario Golf: World Tour. They could be shot at random. Maybe she could switch different golf clubs as one of her special moves, so every golf swing and special move she does changes slightly differently, giving her moveset a lot more depth and strategy.

Plum in particular has appeared in the Smash series as a trophy in Melee, and a sticker in Brawl. She didn't show up in Ultimate as a spirit, but Kid did.
View attachment 264293

I think a fighter based entirely on one sport would be really interesting instead of representing them all, something that Peach technically has with her forward smash (and Waluigi would most likely have some golf moves too if he got in). We also lack a pure sports game rep and golf is my favorite sport. Mario Golf 64 is one of my all-time favorite games, so despite how insanely unlikely this is, I would love this very much.

If you want to show your support for this silly idea, here's the list:
smash puffle (me)

:starman: Thanks for reading! :starman:
I support! It's funny, I'm rather surprised she didn't show up as a Spirit, yet Kid did.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Considering we have Geno thread here, it'd be fair to say if NIntendo isn't willing to push her volunteerly, she needs to get a really big fanbase within the Mario/Smash community. As for actual chance, of course it's requires her comeback to Mario franchise first.

I honesly think it's sad to not see Plum and any other professional athlete return to recent Mario sport games despite Camelot is still working with Nintendo. It always feels strange that recent Mario games are technically just a bunch of amateurs in leisure. It could had been more serious to bring in professional to hype the plot.

On the other hand, we know Plum was featured in the promo video of MG64, but the GB titles had a more complete story focus on the protagonists and the main villains. Storywise, I think Gene is the more commonly noted one among all of the professionals.

Well, the good thing about Plum is if she appears in new Mario games or Smash bros, she can easily do many other alts like Kid, Sherry, Ella... etc, considering their generic body shape.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I always found it a bit sad that Plum wasn't featured much in Mario sports stuff made by Camelot. I always felt like they had plans to make her the rep of their sports games. Beside Mario, of course.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Screw it. I'm throwing my support out there. I used Plum exclusively in Mario Golf. Didn't care how weak she was. She was easy to use and that's all I cared about. I love her!

I always had this headcanon that I swear I heard somewhere before that Plum is Peach's cousin, hence the fruity names. Kinda wish that was a real thing. Also really disappointed Plum didn't get a spirit. I never played the GBC game, so I don't care about Kid at all. The N64 game came first anyway, so that should make Plum the first original Mario Sports character!

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Put me on the support list for Plum for Smash Bros, I'd love to see a playable fighter from Mario Golf.

Considering we have Geno thread here, it'd be fair to say if NIntendo isn't willing to push her volunteerly, she needs to get a really big fanbase within the Mario/Smash community. As for actual chance, of course it's requires her comeback to Mario franchise first.

I honesly think it's sad to not see Plum and any other professional athlete return to recent Mario sport games despite Camelot is still working with Nintendo. It always feels strange that recent Mario games are technically just a bunch of amateurs in leisure. It could had been more serious to bring in professional to hype the plot.

On the other hand, we know Plum was featured in the promo video of MG64, but the GB titles had a more complete story focus on the protagonists and the main villains. Storywise, I think Gene is the more commonly noted one among all of the professionals.

Well, the good thing about Plum is if she appears in new Mario games or Smash bros, she can easily do many other alts like Kid, Sherry, Ella... etc, considering their generic body shape.
Yeah, it always bummed me when these characters disappeared from the Mario Golf series and people disparaged them just because they couldn't play as Mario in story mode. My dream is that they'll come back in a Mario sports title or even like Pauline did in Super Mario Odyssey as a supporting cast member.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
A new Mario Golf game was annouced in the latest Nintendo Direct. It looks good visually and gameplay wise... but... I don't think any of the human characters from the early golf games are coming back. Not even Plum...
Honestly, I enjoyed World Tour on 3DS, but I've always felt that a lot of the soul of the Mario sports games from Camelot vanished after the GameCube/GBA era. It just isn't the same without those out of place human characters. It now feels like generic Mario game with golf in it. I liked the humans in the early games because it made the Tennis/Golf games stand out from every other Mario series. Now it just looks like another Mario series with the same old characters we all know and are kind of tired of seeing again and again. Same thing happened with Paper Mario and we all know how that turned out.

I... I just want my golfer girl back guys...

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I am very happy about the Mario Golf game-it looks like it may just be the best in the series-but yeah, considering we saw a Mii like in World Tour, we probably won't see Plum (who-probably haven't mentioned it yet-I support). But it's still possible that she'll appear as an NPC, maybe one you can have a golf contest with? Don't get your hopes up, but I still think she has a chance to be in Super Rush. (Terrible title, BTW. Just as bad as Ultra Smash).

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It always bugged me how Kid, of all people, was chosen to represent Mario Golf as a spirit rather than her.

So yeah, I support and glad to finally see a proper thread for her.
Pretty much summed up my feelings regarding that situation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that out of all of the 'rando-human' characters in the Mario sports games, PLUM seems to be the most recognized... isn't she?

The best Kid seems to have is being a Tiger Woods-parody, if anything. Even then, I still feel like he was a... random selection. Heck, Plum got a trophy in Melee and a sticker in Brawl. Before Ultimate, did any of the other humans even have THAT much?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pretty much summed up my feelings regarding that situation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that out of all of the 'rando-human' characters in the Mario sports games, PLUM seems to be the most recognized... isn't she?

The best Kid seems to have is being a Tiger Woods-parody, if anything. Even then, I still feel like he was a... random selection. Heck, Plum got a trophy in Melee and a sticker in Brawl. Before Ultimate, did any of the other humans even have THAT much?
Plum got the most recognition, and yes, the other ones didn't get anything in Smash. It helps that she's a well rounded-type golfer in the original game (compared to :ultmario:, ironically enough). The others got a following, though not as much as Plum.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I support. We definitely could use a Camelot character for Smash. For Plum, they should add a stage and some spirits from Mario Golf, with music from the Mario Golf series, especially Mario Golf 64. And maybe some spirits and music from the Mario Tennis series, especially Mario Tennis 64. Both originals and new remixes. I wonder if they’d get Motoi Sakuraba to do another Mario Golf or Mario Tennis Smash remix?

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman

Plum is the first new character you see in Mario Golf as early as the intro movie. She has to be the most recognizable cuz you don't see any of the other new characters in that intro.

pofehof

Smash Rookie
It now feels like generic Mario game with golf in it.
I disagree. Toadstool Tour had so much life with the characters with the different taunts they have, and it (along with World Tour) went even further with each characters' hole out animations. Hopefully Super Rush will have as much quality with said animations and bring back taunts.

It always bugged me how Kid, of all people, was chosen to represent Mario Golf as a spirit rather than her.
Within the Smash fanbase, Plum is probably the most recognized solely due to her trophy in Melee. Within the Mario Golf fanbase, the most recognized human is likely Plum due to Mario Golf 64 being the best selling one, but they probably went with Kid due to him appearing in two games (not counting his transfer to Mario Golf 64).

With Toadstool Tour, none of them returned in favor for more Mario characters, and after the reveal that these companies can no longer really make unique characters within the Mario universe (Paper Mario Origami King interview), it shouldn't be surprising that there are no longer any human characters in Mario Golf or Tennis, and Miis are a replacement that Nintendo is okay with.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I made a video not too long ago about my DLC hopes and dreams for this new game (yes Plum is in the top of the list):
The game's been out for a little while as well, and by looking at the review scores and the bits of gameplay I watched... yeah. It's seems to be a rather dissapointing sequel, and with "free updates that are definitely not finishing the game later" vibes no less. Sigh... Why did I saw that one coming...
I disagree. Toadstool Tour had so much life with the characters with the different taunts they have, and it (along with World Tour) went even further with each characters' hole out animations. Hopefully Super Rush will have as much quality with said animations and bring back taunts.

With Toadstool Tour, none of them returned in favor for more Mario characters, and after the reveal that these companies can no longer really make unique characters within the Mario universe (Paper Mario Origami King interview), it shouldn't be surprising that there are no longer any human characters in Mario Golf or Tennis, and Miis are a replacement that Nintendo is okay with.
Ok, I sure needed to rephrase what I said earlier. Yes. The animations and personality for these characters has always been strong (maybe not as much in Super Rush, but still), and Super Rush mode looks fun... but that's it. That's all they've got. There's nothing else they have that makes them stand out and make their newest games fall into the same status as their N64/GameCube/GameBoy titles. World Tour was enjoyable in it's own right, but the boring campaign, their iffy DLC practices and lack of more modes (like Mini Golf) made it a little stale for me. Still a lot better than Super Rush in my eyes, though.

Now I don't why Nintendo thinks this is the case, but... Miis are NOT a replacement for original human characters. First off, I LOVE the Miis. You have no idea how many hours I've spent on both Tomodachi Life and Miitopia on the 3DS. The Miis truly shine in their own environment and game series. But when you put Miis in something like a Mario game just for the sake of their "human avatars" trait... well it's way out of place nowadays. Maybe on the Wii era, but not anymore! I just don't get why Nintendo stopped letting Camelot make more original characters for their Mario Sports games, its such a huge shame. People have to realize that Paper Mario and Mario RPGs in general are not the only victims here when it comes to this lack of originality thing. Mario Sports games, hell, ALL Mario spinoff series have been affected in some way, even Mario Kart since the Wii U game (Pink Gold Peach, anyone?).

Hopefully one day we will finally see these spinoff games back to where they once where, but for now, the future it's not looking too bright.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Nintendo is adding N64 games to Nintendo Switch Online, and Mario Golf will be one of them! (after launch)
Now we can all play a great Mario Golf game on our Switch lol

Top Bottom