• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please tell me this is a bug

ColumW

Smash Rookie
If you IDC and ledge cancel it, you will still go into special fall immediately WITHOUT any reverse ledge grab boxes. So my question then:

1) Was it intended for Meta Knight to still go into special fall even after ledge canceling?
2) And if so, was it intended to remove his grab boxes following the IDC after ledge canceling?

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
This has nothing to do with grab boxes. It's more to do with how he acts out of a regular DC without attacking. In 3.02, the reason you didn't die from edge canceling IDC is because you could still jump back to the stage, not because you grabbed the ledge like you would if you did an IDC offstage without ledge canceling.

We are assuming this is intended, or at least an effect of an intended change. Chances are, the game registers a ledge cancelled IDC similarly to a full DC without attacking, which would be why when they changed it so you go to special fall after the ladder of the two, you go into special fall after an edge canceled IDC.

It has to be something along those lines, or it's it's own separate thing and was intentionally programmed to kill you when you accidentally edge cancel, but that seems unlikely. But yeah everyone agrees it's stupid.

ColumW

Smash Rookie
This has nothing to do with grab boxes. It's more to do with how he acts out of a regular DC without attacking.
I don't quite understand. If you do a regular DC without attacking, you'll get grab boxes behind you so you can catch the ledge (assuming you didn't ledge cancel).

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
No you don't. If you so a regular DC without attacking you have no grab boxes behind you, but that doesn't matter. The most likely thing that does is whether or not you go into special fall after using it, and they changed that in 3.5. It just so happens that you also go into special fall after a ledge canceled IDC. This most likely has a connection somewhere with how the game is programmed, that's what I'm saying.

You only have grab boxes behind you when you do an IDC. And besides, when you edge cancel an IDC in 3.02, do you fall off and recover, or do you grab the ledge immediately?

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
You have ledge grab hitboxes behind you when you empty DC. Then even last a hella long time.

But anyway, yes the fact that you go into freefall after a ledgecancelled DC attack is dumbbbbbbb

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Huh, I gotta check how big they are. I've empty DC'd barely off the stage a few times and just died, so I never even knew that was a thing.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Check 'em out in debug mode. They're like as big as the forward facing ones, it's nuts!

ColumW

Smash Rookie
Thanks 9bit for verifying that empty DC can catch behind. Who's a PMDT I can ask about this IDC suicide thing? I feel like it shouldn't be in the game, but I'd love to be persuaded if a developer put it intentionally in there.

Top Bottom