• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please give me some tips for my Falcon (Updated 3-4-12)

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Updated with new videos, 3-2-12

Hi all, these are my newest vids. Any and all advice is welcome :D

1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmoxyn7fKg4&feature=related

2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwQdJAzlS0s&feature=related

3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-HgowQdGa0&context=C3b10422ADOEgsToPDskKghkYmhAMgcHE2iavkX0U9

Original Post

Round 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgc7DOPrHc

Round 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6jK1h-GPio

Aside from obvious missed knees in the first round towards the end, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I've been playing way more competitively for about a year and a half now. I'm gonna start going to tournaments to gain more experience. I'd just like to have a general idea of what I need to work on so I figured I'd post this here and see what you folks have to say.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Dont get tippered, grabbed, combod, take any damage, or lose any stocks.

Give me tips on how to become a more challenging Marth/Fox so the guy above me can get better.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
There were a few points where you had some strange U-smashes that had very weak chances of hitting your opponent. And there isn't very much grabbing in your game, which would probably improve it a lot. D-throw into follow up moves or tech chasing is where a lot of falcons get their bread and butter because you're setting up so many combo possibilities in doing so. In your second video, you showed that you are pretty capable of this, but i feel like it should be a bigger part of your game.

And there were a few times when he was trying to recover and you didn't really have a good angle or didn't pick the best timing to go for the knee but you did so anyway, resulting in a miss or a weak knee. Against a marth, i feel that you shouldn't be too afraid to keep jumping on and off the ledge to retain invincibility frames and force him to use his up-B onto the stage because with his landing lag or helpless mode, you're in a good position to ledge hop into reverse knee or U-air if he really does get too far away (unlikely that he does get too far away from you though since marth doesn't move much horizontally with his upB. More likely that you'd be forced to use the Uair if he manages to reach a platform but if he had enough room to reach a platform, you probably should have edgeguarded some other way anyway.)

Getting a little to cute with the falcon punch and falcon kick BS in the second video by the way.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a lot for the reply I appreciate it (about time someone did). I agree with most of it, I really need to work on implimenting tech chasing a lot more. And my edge guarding ispretty poor overall, half of the upsmashes were supposed to be shorthop uairs followed by a second jump to knee but I press them at the same time, something else I need to work on. Thanks a lot for the advice

shortyj

Smash Cadet
Do you know how to gentleman or moonwalk?? Gentleman sets up for SOOOOO many combos and moonwalking is just another thing to trick up ur opponent.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Nice and fast! You're a good player. I can't really critique your play style too well, as you are probably equal or better than me, but I can tell you some small things.

I'd work on spacing your platform dashes so they go off the platform, and just throwing out a bit less random ****. Originality is good, but usmash as an approach is not. A few more grabs would be good too, to go with your nice shield pressure.

Keep it up!

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I know, it sometimes happens when I try to shffl a uair cause I use control stick up and A instead of cstick for uair. Something I do have to work on

Rin!

Smash Rookie
Yeah I know, it sometimes happens when I try to shffl a uair cause I use control stick up and A instead of cstick for uair. Something I do have to work on
Definitely! Thats what I do pretty much.

If you press A though you have a good chance of throwing out an usmash. I recommend that you try jumping with the stick and then using up on the c stick to uair. Worked for me!

Good luck, You aren't bad.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Avoid approaching marths with dairs
You're just begging to get utilted for it
Also, while the up smash continues/leads to combos if it lands, it's easy to SDI/CC the first hit, so against better opponents it's generally more effective to use other moves.
Otherwise it looks aight :)

dragnet4000

Smash Apprentice
You play a fluid Falcon, props for that.
The mindgames helped you add some spacing to your game.

Abuse his grabs, as they set up for ANYTHING.

When it is a Marth vs. Falcon game, it is really the who-has-better-spacing game.
Will critique fox vid later, dont have time now.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I've just recently gotten some new videos uploaded and I believe I've improved a lot but I know there is much I need to work on still. Any and all advice in regards to my newest videos (updated in the OP) would be great.

D

Deleted member

Here is my advice

tell us what you think you could have done better in certain spots, trust me its way better than just posting a video and saying "help me any way possible"

its better if u signal to us what you already know since I think its dumb to tell you what you could have done in "obvious" spots, but some people don't know what those "obvious" spots are

Mizar

Smash Ace
Here is my advice

tell us what you think you could have done better in certain spots, trust me its way better than just posting a video and saying "help me any way possible"

its better if u signal to us what you already know since I think its dumb to tell you what you could have done in "obvious" spots, but some people don't know what those "obvious" spots are
You are one smart mother****er.
Or we're all just dumb.

OT: All I can say is be careful with your Dair spacing and try to get more out of your grabs.
I think techchasing is really important for falcon, especially vs falco. Once you're in his face, cling to it as long as your can.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
The main thing I am actively aware of is that most of the time out of throws I will do something that only covers one option, and I'll almost always try to predict a tech instead of react which is something I only realized after watching these videos. I was mainly asking to see if there was anything subtle I was missing, but I see your point.

I also think that I rely on rolling to much in certain situations, and I know how to wd oos, but I don't really know when the best time to wd oos is and I almost never feel like it's a good option and I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

Beat!

Smash Master
Here is my advice

Awesome post. I agree completely.

S l o X

Smash Champion
next time you go to hog look for a hispanic kid and he'll teach you falcon. you won't be losing to swift after that. (;

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
next time you go to hog look for a hispanic kid and he'll teach you falcon. you won't be losing to swift after that. (;
Word, any advice you could give me, especially hands on, would be great. I did pretty good against swift (took a game off him, anyway) and I'm already improving my grab > punish game. I think my next big hurtles are when to wd oos, gentleman consistently, and becoming much more solid on my overall fundamentals.

I'm starting to think I've been relying on shield grabbing a bit to much so I've been trying to implement buffering rolls with cstick, or double hitting up on the cstick for really fast uair oos. I always feel like this is not a good time to try and wd oos mainly because I'm afraid of getting shined (playing against a falco mostly).

Also, Scar, S2J, any mod, can you move this thread to the new subforum for feedback so I don't have to create spam by making a new one? Thanks ^_^

Top Bottom