• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please critic this Mewtwo from Houston!

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
hey

some stuff you do is p sick and if you keep working you can be a good mewtwo i think

that fox is p bad, but you capitalized off of his mistakes pretty well and didn't let him get away with dumb stuff

the charge shadowball by the edge is kinda cool but i'm afraid that it isn't very safe and it doesn't cover sweetspotting so it's actually horrible if the fox knows literally anything about recovering

instead i think it's better to just run off the edge and tp to the ledge which is really fast, then react to what they do
or stay on stage to cover higher options

i dont really know what else to comment on, but i'm sure @ihasabucket, MookieRah MookieRah , and @meleemewtwo will have interesting things to say if they see this

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
SuperShus SuperShus
I wouldn't say the Fox is bad, per se, he/she seems pretty average. I will say though that the Fox player had absolutely no idea how to play against Mewtwo.

dawn001 dawn001
Honestly, all I can say about this video is that you have good tech, movement, and punishes. I like your use of upsmash, although I think you overuse it a smidge. You use SBC very well, but you are overusing the heck out of it. As Shus says, that does not work as an edgeguard in any capacity, and you are only hurting yourself by not exploring his other options. SBC in general is not that safe and the only reason it worked so well in this video is because the Fox you were up against didn't know how to approach properly with nairs (Hell, I only saw maybe a few nairs in the entirety of the second match.). If you used it like that against a more competent Fox and you will get hit out of it often, and the matchup in general is a lot more difficult because good Fox nairs practically require a read in order to punish. Also, the Fox didn't CC at all. CC at early percents really cripples your ground game/neutral.

If you want a real critique you need to play better opponents. At least have longer videos that show your opponents adapting to the matchup. Don't think that I didn't notice that you performed much worse on your second match. How well would you be doing after 5-10 matches?

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Pretty good combos and good control of Mewtwo's teleport. You were also spacing your aerials pretty well. One thing that I would advise is to stop dash attacking so much. The hitbox is way worse than it seems, and the reward for landing it is not that good, plus it can easily be crouch cancelled.

BeldorTN

Smash Rookie
Pretty much what the others have been saying.
Shadow Ball near the ledge doesn't cover sweet spots, and you're definitely not fast enough for cancel/ledgehog a sweet spotted side-B unless you read it.

Try to avoid dash attack, it's easily punishable, you're locked into it for a long time and has a bad hitbox. I use it from time to time if I can get a guaranteed late hit, but that's incredibly rare and still not optimal.

What I really like is your movement and teleport game. Your punishes also seem solid.

What I missed is the use of dthrow tech chases at low%. They work fairly well against fast fallers (from my experience). But that's really just something you could add to your repository.

Please correct me if I'm wrong with something here.

dawn001

Smash Ace
Pretty much what the others have been saying.
Shadow Ball near the ledge doesn't cover sweet spots, and you're definitely not fast enough for cancel/ledgehog a sweet spotted side-B unless you read it.

Try to avoid dash attack, it's easily punishable, you're locked into it for a long time and has a bad hitbox. I use it from time to time if I can get a guaranteed late hit, but that's incredibly rare and still not optimal.

What I really like is your movement and teleport game. Your punishes also seem solid.

What I missed is the use of dthrow tech chases at low%. They work fairly well against fast fallers (from my experience). But that's really just something you could add to your repository.

Please correct me if I'm wrong with something here.
I actually think Mewtwo dash attack is not that bad. I guess it depends on the situation. You are right about Downthrows tech chase at low %. I really need to work on that and take it to the next level. I also agree about Mewtwos SBC on the edge. Is not that good i know...i was wasted that day and i wanted to experiment a bit. Lol.

TIN0

Smash Cadet
NNID
FarmingEIAS
3DS FC
1907-8613-7842
Your first gane was almost perfect! I am very impressed on what you can do with mewtwo. I have a different play style than you and it's a breath of fresh air to see such an aggressive play style. You do use up smash a little too much though. Maybe if you would switch it with an utilt or a quick djc nair it would be better. I do main mewtwo and I play more of a neutral game mewtwo which is super quirky so I'm used to using options that don't open me up. Upsmash is still good but maybe you should use it a little less in lower percents and find some alternatives. Your shadow ball game and your teleport movement is phenomenal. Although, you should work a little on djc upb so you have less end lag. Also, your combo game could use a little work. Maybe find a lot of different combo starters and try to read your opponent a little more. You do read their mistakes which is great but if they approach you with full force then all you can do is teleport away so having a djc nair oos and djc upb oos is good. Keep up the mewtwo! We will fight one day and see whose mewtwo wins. Good luck!

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
I think you need to make more use of mewtwo's air mobility and DJC mechanics. Learn how to use MookieRah MookieRah 's input method for DJC aerials(or claw if you'd prefer). You can use this to jump towards opponents and fade back slighly after fairing. There were also a couple of times where you came down with nair and got punished when you could have faded back.

I recommend you give the people you play advice on the MU. This way youre getting proper practice and it forces you to use and explore mixups.

Last edited:
Top Bottom