• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstation Vita/VitaTV

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787

Source: [B]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS_Vita[/B]

Featured Game:

Manufacturer: |Sony Computer Entertainment
Product family: | PlayStation
Type: | Handheld game console
CPU: | ARM Cortex-A9 core (4 core)
Display: |960 x 544 pixels, 16 million colors with a 5 inch OLED capacitive Touchscreen
Graphics: |SGX543MP4+
Input: | Touchscreen, Rear touch pad, Six-axis motion sensing system, Three-axis electronic compass, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick
Connectivity: | IEEE 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, 3G, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
Dimensions: |83.55 mm (3.289 in) (h); 182 mm (7.2 in) (w); 18.6 mm (0.73 in) (d)
Predecessor: |PlayStation Portable

Official Sources:

Official PS Vita page: http://us.playstation.com/psvita/
Vita's Features: http://us.playstation.com/psvita/features/
Vita's Games and Media: http://us.playstation.com/psvita/games-and-media/
Vita's Design: http://us.playstation.com/psvita/design/
Vita's Specs: http://us.playstation.com/psvita/tech-specs/

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I think they should give up, Nintendo dominates the handheld market. I would just quit trying, because I owned a PSP for years, and it was so meh.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
They haven't yet stopped it from overheating? Man, I'd hate to see what the battery-life is now. You'd have thought that they'd fix the major PSP issue, rather than make it worse.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Why even make a PSP2 (or a 3DS for that matter)? Isn't the writing on the wall concerning the handheld market?

UberMario

Smash Master
The 3DS was made because, while the Nintendo DS is creative, has fun games, and is durable, it's graphical capabilities are inferior to the PSP, so Nintendo decided to make it's successor more powered, have a special effect unique to itself [glasses-less 3D], and have a joystick. I think the PSP2 is screwed because Nintendo effectively took everything that made the PSP better than the Nintendo DS and dropkicked it into a dumpster. Considering the 3DS' capabilities, the PSP2 would have to be the equivalent of a portable PS3 to stand a chance, and considering how "poorly" the PSP does in comparison with the DS, not to mention the actual PS3's pricing, I can't see that happening.

(Also, keep in mind, the DS came out in 2004 and the PSP 2005, that's seven years being on the market for the former, longer than the Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance COMBINED, and the original Game Boy was replaced by the GBC 9 years after it's original release, only two years longer than the DS has had. It was inevitable the DS would get a successor.)

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Can't wait to see the game list. I just know the price is going to **** people. ;_; ♥

♣ Now to hope you can download video's to view. ♥

Minato

穏やかじゃない
While I'm more excited for the 3DS, hopefully the PSP2 does well and has a good line up of games.
I won't be buying it on launch in case of problems and whatnot. Plus I'd rather wait and see what games will come on it first.

Colonel Cuddles

Smash Journeyman
I think they should give up, Nintendo dominates the handheld market. I would just quit trying, because I owned a PSP for years, and it was so meh.
PSP dominates in Japan. Outsells the DS astrnomically, people in Japan are basically addicted to Monster Hunter PSP, they even have special resteraunts just for the game. PSP 2 looks great anyways, 2 analogs will be nice, finally allowing some real FPS' on a portable. Will probably be buying at launch. Had a PSP for 2 years, and still love it, great games, usefull for music and movies, very underrated portable. Hell, depending on the game, you can get near PS2 graphics on it, almost PS3 rarely.

UberMario

Smash Master
PSP dominates in Japan. Outsells the DS astrnomically,
No it dosn't.

The DS has sold 30 million units in Japan, whereas the PSP has sold 15 million there. Worldwide, the DS has sold 132 million units, in comparison with PSP's 62 million.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
PSP dominates in Japan.
Nope.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/tags/the-japanese-hardware-chart/

The sales of consoles (including handhelds) in Japan, every week for however long they've been doing it (months)

The DS's combined (DSi, DSiXL, DS Lite) outsell the PSP every time. PSP are doing okay but far from dominating.

Why even make a PSP2 (or a 3DS for that matter)? Isn't the writing on the wall concerning the handheld market?
Not at all. Handhelds sell much more than home consoles (One console can service up to four people, but if you want to keep the kids happy you'll need one each) not to mention the portability is an amazing factor. Throw in marketing at the older ages as well (Brain training, ect) You've also got the fact that you've got Apple trying to get into it with their app store, there isn't even a hint of a draft for the words that could be written on a wall that doesn't exist yet. ;)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ I don't get what written on the wall even means ._. /Feels lost.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Not at all. Handhelds sell much more than home consoles (One console can service up to four people, but if you want to keep the kids happy you'll need one each) not to mention the portability is an amazing factor. Throw in marketing at the older ages as well (Brain training, ect) You've also got the fact that you've got Apple trying to get into it with their app store, there isn't even a hint of a draft for the words that could be written on a wall that doesn't exist yet. ;)
That's what I meant to say: handheld gaming will grow, but it will grow on cell phones and tablets, not on dedicated gaming devices. As smartphones and other such devices become more sophisticated, I think it's going to be an increasingly tough sale for Sony and Nintendo to make. I think that's one of the major reasons M$ hasn't bothered to jump into the portable market.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
You guys are dissing Sony the same way ppl do w/ Sonic. A new platform is "rumored" or leaked and w/o anything to base off of it you go "It'll suck, pass."

PSP being more praised/preferenced in Japan is probably a better way of putting it Colonel.

@Minato: "I won't be buying it at launch in case of some problems-". Yeah, cause the 3DS is just so perfect it can't possibly have problems, yet you haven't seen one in person. -_-

@Shimazu: I can think of about 10 PSP games better than anything on the DS right now.

Colonel Cuddles

Smash Journeyman
You guys are dissing Sony the same way ppl do w/ Sonic. A new platform is "rumored" or leaked and w/o anything to base off of it you go "It'll suck, pass."

PSP being more praised/preferenced in Japan is probably a better way of putting it Colonel.

@Minato: "I won't be buying it at launch in case of some problems-". Yeah, cause the 3DS is just so perfect it can't possibly have problems, yet you haven't seen one in person. -_-

@Shimazu: I can think of about 10 PSP games better than anything on the DS right now.
Heavy bias, but I do hate the whole 3DS will be perfect thing. PSP and DS both have strengths and weaknesses, but I prefer my PSP. But that's just me. I do feel pretty foolish now though, but PSP does have huge success in Japan. It is no where near a "failure" like people make it out to be. Sony just needs to support it.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Graphics-wise, I don't care. There's a point where it doesn't matter how good the graphics are. That limit is even closer on handhelds because of the smaller resolution. From the videos, the 3DS's graphics are great and suitable. The PSP2 wouldn't need a major graphics buff, but more 'umph' to it for better 'stuff'.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
3D is an annoying fad because as long as people with any visual issues exist, the market is smaller (depth perception is required for 3D).

I liked my PSP because they had **** good games. My DS was a few games now and then, then I'd lose interest, particularly because I had better stuff to play. I don't play my PSP now, so I'll pass, though the Playstation phone, that runs the vastly superior Android, intrigues me.

UberMario

Smash Master
3D is an annoying fad because as long as people with any visual issues exist, the market is smaller (depth perception is required for 3D).
I guess the colored screen fad should end too due to the amount of colorblind people . . . . . . .

The 3D effect can be shut off on the 3DS, and you aren't losing much, because the 3D effects are still there, but are "rendered flat" so to speak.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
3-D is a fad; its entire lure is based on the novelty of a new experience. Once it stops being new, what does 3-D add to viewing that makes it worthwhile (unlike the advent of color or sound in video)?

Either way, I don't have anything against the PSP2 or the 3DS, I just think they're approaching the future of handheld gaming the wrong way. It's not about power or 3-D or touchscreens, it's about pick-up-and-play for those two minutes you have to kill, and a cell phone can do that, and they're only going to do more as time goes on.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I guess the colored screen fad should end too due to the amount of colorblind people . . . . . . .

The 3D effect can be shut off on the 3DS, and you aren't losing much, because the 3D effects are still there, but are "rendered flat" so to speak.
Because color is equal to pseudo-3D effects. As Jam said, once it stops being a new thing, it'll stop being anything important.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'd be a bit worried if the PSP2 was as powerful as the 360 because of this:

Currently, the PSP2's hardware is not finalized, and Sony is having problems balancing battery, power and heat. There are apparently overheating issues, but Sony is, of course, aiming to have those issues corrected by the time the hardware is publicly shown.
^
Taken from the OP.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I'm surprised to see this amount of hatred for a currently rumored system (jk not really).

For our current generation of handhelds I bought a DS and passed on the PSP. I'm not a huge handheld gamer but I wanted to get my pokemon on so the DS was the right choice for me.

Looking at the upcoming 3DS games it's largely the same old same old. We've got mario kart, animal crossing, zelda, mario platformer,etc. That's not always a bad thing, which of us isn't looking forward to the OoT remake? However, this has always been the thing about Nintendo that bugs me the most. With the most recent gen of pokemon games released on the DS rather than the 3DS I have no reason to upgrade anytime soon. Yes, the system looks nice and shiny and new stuff makes me giddy but hype factor aside I don't see a reason to hold it so highly above the PSP2.

Regarding the PSP2, with the recent rumors leaked to kotaku the system actually sounds like it could be pretty cool. Depending on how it turns out, what games are available and what the price is, I might actually get the PSP this time and wait for the 3DS. I think it's pretty silly to bash the system when it hasn't even been publicly unveiled. Sony should give up because the DS outsold the PSP? Should Nintendo have given up when the PS1 outsold the 64? Or when the PS2 outsold the Gamecube? The PSP is the first system to actually hold it's on the handheld front, I think Sony's doing alright.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Looking at the upcoming 3DS games it's largely the same old same old. We've got mario kart, animal crossing, zelda, mario platformer,etc.
This! It's so easy for Nintendo to come up with a successful handheld because they can polish up d@mn near any franchise they have worked with in the past and still make it fun! If Sony REALLY wants to stay in the game, then the PSP2 is gonna have to launch at a cheaper price than the 3DS!

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
This! It's so easy for Nintendo to come up with a successful handheld because they can polish up d@mn near any franchise they have worked with in the past and still make it fun! If Sony REALLY wants to stay in the game, then the PSP2 is gonna have to launch at a cheaper price than the 3DS!
I highly doubt they will. Sony isn't really well known for making their consoles/handhelds cheaper than Nintendo's at launch. Look at the PS3 at launch and the PSP.

Wii - $249.99
PS3 - 20 GB $499, 60 GB $599
Original DS - $149.99
Original PSP - $226

UberMario

Smash Master
Looking at the upcoming 3DS games it's largely the same old same old. We've got mario kart, animal crossing, zelda, mario platformer,etc.
Not to turn this into a Nintendo 3DS thread, but I'm honestly surprised you said that, we're getting two Nintendo series revived from over a decade of dormancy [Kid Icarus and Pilotwings], it's going to have Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, Saint's Row, a Ninja Gaiden [newer version] and Metal Gear Solid games [usually more associated with other platforms], several Enix series which are usually associated with Sony are going to be on it. (like a remake of Kingdom Hearts [either that or a sequal], a Chocobo Racing remake/sequal, new Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, etc.) Not to mention Mega Man Legends 3 is going to the 3DS when MML2 was Sony-exclusive.

This is one of Nintendo's most varied starting rosters yet.

Speaking of which, considering all of the "Sony-associated and Microsoft-related" series which are getting released on the Nintendo 3DS, what is going to be left for the PSP2 which can be claimed exclusive? (That is a serious question, and one of the more important ones when it comes to the system's success)

And has been said before, there is no way the PSP2 is going to be cheap, especially with the power it has been claimed to have.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
None of those games are garunteed to be any good, and that matters a lot.

The PSP2 has a lot possibilites: God of War, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Bomberman, Little Big Planet, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper/Infamous (depends on what SP wants to do), Killzone, Gran Turismo, Patapon, echochrome, DmC, Heavy Rain, Valkeria Chronicles, and plenty of others that could end up PSP2 exclusive like Naruto, Sonic, Megaman, Castlevania, DBZ (a new DBZ game got released exclusive to the PSP) etc.

The idea of my first sentence applies here too.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Not to turn this into a Nintendo 3DS thread, but I'm honestly surprised you said that, we're getting two Nintendo series revived from over a decade of dormancy [Kid Icarus and Pilotwings], it's going to have Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, Saint's Row, a Ninja Gaiden [newer version] and Metal Gear Solid games [usually more associated with other platforms], several Enix series which are usually associated with Sony are going to be on it. (like a remake of Kingdom Hearts [either that or a sequal], a Chocobo Racing remake/sequal, new Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, etc.) Not to mention Mega Man Legends 3 is going to the 3DS when MML2 was Sony-exclusive.

This is one of Nintendo's most varied starting rosters yet.

Speaking of which, considering all of the "Sony-associated and Microsoft-related" series which are getting released on the Nintendo 3DS, what is going to be left for the PSP2 which can be claimed exclusive? (That is a serious question, and one of the more important ones when it comes to the system's success)

And has been said before, there is no way the PSP2 is going to be cheap, especially with the power it has been claimed to have.
I was talking about Nintendo specifically. But if I hadn't been all of those games you mentioned are sequels and such so I'm not really sure what point you were trying to make. I never said the line up wasn't varied, I said that it consisted of the same games that always make up the library of a Nintendo system. I do acknowledge that some of them haven't been seen in awhile though.

There's nothing that says any of those games can't or won't be developed for the PSP2 as well. We don't know a single PSP2 game (save for mortal kombat I believe) so speculating about any exclusives is virtually pointless. And as the previous poster already stated, there are plenty of games from Sony's own lineup and third parties that may be exclusive to the system. To use one of your own examples, kingdom hearts. The DS had an exclusive kingdom hearts game and so did the PSP.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Two thumbsticks is better, I do wonder why does PSP have a camera? XD ♥

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
PSP2 rumor points to PS3 ports, 'early' PS3-level graphics

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/08/psp2-rumor-points-to-ps3-ports-early-ps3-level-graphics/

IGN reports that the processor is "just over half as powerful as the PS3" and should be capable of producing "graphics comparable to early PlayStation 3 titles." The lower resolution screen will surely help minimize the quality gap between the PS3's beefy innards and whatever's powering the PSP2 so then, the question is how Sony distinguishes its gaming lineup if both consoles are graphically competitive. IGN says, "It seems that Sony aims to allow developers to port or custom-tailor PlayStation 3 titles for use on the handheld, potentially to create a ubiquitous gameplay experience that could sync seamlessly between the console and the handheld."

This, of course, leads to the long-imagined "start a game at home and take it with you" model that executives, and some particularly obsessed gamers, have long dreamt about
Damn, PS3 graphics sound pretty sick for a handheld. Wonder if Sony can pull this off and beat the 3DS? And I wish that Sony would already officially announce the PSP2...

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Not impossible. Google Nvida Tegra 2. It's a dual-core processor in a cellphone that is blisteringly fast. Doing it in a handheld console that just has to focus on games would be nothing.

These superphones also have only 512 mb of RAM (except the Atrix), and they can run for hours without catching fire. The tech exists in otherwords.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
So it's expected that Sony will officially announce the PSP2 tomorrow.

I'll update this thread as news flows in.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I'm kind of excited to see what the PSP2 will be like if it is announced. I bought a DS and passed on the PSP but seeing as I'm going to wait on picking up a 3DS I'm interested in the competition.

The only thing I'm expecting right now is that the PSP2 will play PS2 games.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I’m impressed. Dual sticks, the size of the screen and the graphics are nice. The Touch screen and pad combination was a good idea too. I heard Sony was going to sell these at a loss, so I’m interested in what the price is going to be.

Also the title needs to be changed to 'NGP'.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I can still see 3DS winning solely on the fact the pricetags will be vastly different, but I'm more interested in this than 3DS. Mainly because the launch is looking better.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Technologically speaking, the NGP seems much more impressive, bar the lack of 3D.
The only thing I think may have a chance of affecting it is the price tag- the 3DS is already going to be dear enough as it is, and Sony has a habit of putting all their consoles out for a larger price than it's competitors, with the promise of better power, more exclusives, etc.

Question about the back panel, where is the touch panel, is it the glossy thing with the Triangle, Circle, Square and X symbols, or is it those two matte looking panels either side of it?

Top Bottom